James on Main Restaurant

James on Main, a wood fired grill serving brunch and dinner six days/week Coming soon to Main Street in Hackettstown. Fresh, seasonal comfort food with a healthy flare!

Longtime townie '92 Longtime townie '92
Jan '16

Where on Main?

Sounds great.

Ollie Ollie
Jan '16

Sounds great...Please tell us more...

joyful joyful
Jan '16

Sounds good, can't wait to find out more

Bessie Bessie
Jan '16

Excited to have another new business in town. Can't wait for it to open! Where on Main Street?

bepositive bepositive
Jan '16

that sounds AWESOME!!!

mom of one mom of one
Jan '16

Excellent! Can't wait!!!!

I need facts to back this up, someone from the BID to verify?

The OP has been working on this for some time now. Sounds good.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/666802

Greg this doesn't sound anything like the post you posted.

Sounds good to me! The more restaurants a town has the more people who travel to town. BUT the question is where? No stores available on Main St. especially with a wood fired grill. March is not that far off.

Cannot wait to see!

Christine Christine
Jan '16

I hope it's the artisan bread Baker ☺

Bessie Bessie
Jan '16

Me too!

positive positive
Jan '16

Glad you are finally opening up. Can't wait. Good luck buddy.

He is taking over the spot where Churrascaria is once they move out.

Darwin Darwin
Jan '16

Christine - Whether it sounds like the same post or not, it's the same person. After doing research, I guess that's what they decided on.

I'm not surprised a restaurant would take over the Churrascaria location as they transition over to where Pump House was. Inside the Churrascaria location is gorgeous and would be a shame to waste.

WOW! Never thought of that guys thanks. I thought Churrascaria wouldn't be n the Pump House location for a while. They are doing a beautiful job with the Pump House

Meawnile right on Main St. its a good turn key operation.With them all the luck and ease!

Christine Christine
Jan '16

What type of food is this restaurant going to be?

Don't look at me, I have NO idea ;)

Dare I say it, maybe going in where Leo's was?

trekster3- trekster3-
Jan '16

James on Main is anticipated to open mid-March, indeed where Churrascaria Hackettstown Paladar was (105 Main St).

Glad you're looking forward to this addition!

HBID Staff HBID Staff
Jan '16

trekster3 -

"He is taking over the spot where Churrascaria is once they move out.

- Darwin"

Moe Greene
Jan '16

Awesome :)

trekster3- trekster3-
Jan '16

What happened to the Pump House? Knew it was closed but don't know why. The front sign looks like it was burned when I drove past there about a month ago.

Kathleen Bird Kathleen Bird
Jan '16

Pump house sold to Churrascaria and they are remodeling it. Looks great from the outside and a friend told me its amazing on the inside.

Christine Christine
Jan '16

Churrascaria is closed on Main Street. Anyone know when they are opening at the new location? Their outgoing phone message is from August.

4of4
Feb '16

According the their website they were looking to open first week of February which is this week

I'm sure they will do everything they can to be open for next weekend given its a holiday weekend

Darwin Darwin
Feb '16

What is James on Main going to be?What kind of food will you be offering?

Please see the James on Main Facebook Page and click the link to the menu.
While its still got some moving pieces, you can get a feel for the style. If you had to put it in a category I would say New American. I hope to have a website up and running in the next week or two. For now please follow James on Main on Facebook. I look forward to being on Main Street, especially now with the addition of Manskirt and Cziegmeister craft breweries coming on line soon!

Feb '16

Menu Looks great Bill. Just what Hackettstown needs. Can't wait

Darwin Darwin
Feb '16

Can't wait either! Mouth is watering from just reading the menu...very happy to see some organic offerings!

Jules Jules
Feb '16

For those of you who, like me, hate dealing with the miserable search interface on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/JamesOnMain/?fref=ts

Best of luck! It's great to see more new businesses to Hackettstown.

Joe Fisher Joe Fisher
Feb '16

Welcome! Its about time Billy Boy!!!

Stoked!

Nicely done! Cheers!

Warren @ Homebrew U! Warren @ Homebrew U!
Feb '16

Thank you for the positive responses! I'm happy to say you no longer need to interface solely with FB to interact with James on Main. Our website was launched yesterday! While I'm still working out some bugs (so the text of the menu is not formatted incorrectly on mobile devices and creating twitter feed for specials and real time updates), it is quite user friendly and provides good information. The website address is: www.jamesonmain.net. Please visit the site and let me know what you think. I am still optimistic for a mid march open. If anyone knows of a consistent hardwood/fruitwood source, please throw it out there. Once again, I look forward to seeing all of you in the dining room!

~chef

Feb '16

The menu made me drool this morning - can't wait to try it and beautiful website! HKT can definitely use a restaurant like yours, James! :)

PVGal
Feb '16

sounds great - I'll definitely be by

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

Chef /owner
I wish you the best of luck with the opening and future of your restaurant. If I may I was in the business for forty years,offering Alaskan Wild Salmon is a dicey move it is fished with heavy restrictions. You will pay top dollar and have a tough time receiving it due to is availability. I worked Purchasing for Legal Seafoods, we had it on the menu had to drop it and we buy in large quantity. Had to "86" it constantly. I would make sure you have at least 2 wood suppliers lined up soon. Good luck

Roger G Roger G
Feb '16

Your website and menu looks great.

Any chance you might add a few more Vegetarian Dinner Entrees?

Mom with Kids Mom with Kids
Feb '16

Roger and Chef - I will only order/buy wild caught Alaskan salmon- so would never order it unless................yes it's pricey but it's worth it to avoid all the nastiness of farmed salmon

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

There are plenty of reputable salmon farmers out there who raise a fine product.

Here is a good resource for those who are worried about the source and quality of their fish...

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/salmon?q=Salmon&o=1537980471,1793399832,27,2055793320,2107278841,1272348784

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Very much looking forward to this grand opening!

It doesn't say on the website but BYOB?

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Feb '16

Wow, this area is becoming a real destination for restaurants. Need a wood fired pizza joint, perhaps James will offer this as well...

Hopefully, a great addition to the Hackettstown food scene.

Indie Indie
Feb '16

Thank you Roger G.

Feb '16

and yes BYOB....looking forward to Cziegmeister brewery getting online, as it is directly across the street. Not slighting Manskirt, 1 block away, where Joe is already doing an amazing job on the brews. I look forward to catering to the patrons of their tasting rooms.
and as far as salmon, there will be alternates at times without a doubt, but the standard will be the wild caught.

Feb '16

Good luck to you Bill

greg sagan greg sagan
Feb '16

+1 ijay. I'd love a wood fired pizza joint. Millies in Morristown is good (a bit pricey but worth it.) It would be nice to have one closer.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '16

It sounds great and the menu looks wonderful. Any chance you will be offering gluten free options? If you do we'll be there in a heartbeat.

Gmmom
Feb '16

Looks great chef!
More vegan offerings would net you a lot of people willing to travel/spend money on "specialty" food, though!

hopetwp
Feb '16

I have to ask, what is the "James" about since the owners name is Bill?

eapos eapos
Feb '16

Thank you Mr. Sagan!

Feb '16

Sweet another place we can walk to. Looking forward to it, the menu looks interesting.

Agust Agust
Feb '16

website and menu look great Bill, I like the headshot too :). in case anyone missed it, Bill updated the website with his bio which should help you see what a great restaurant this will be.

we can't wait for it to open, wishing you all the best.

jim L jim L
Feb '16

The brisket blend burger certainly has my attention. I've had ribeye and brisket blend burgers at Emeril's and they're awesome. Would be great to have that option so close to home.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '16

Will the specific farms or meat providers be on display as part of the "locally sourced " items?

Your food sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it out.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Feb '16

Wood fire grill = s a u s a g e , In my book sizzlin' & smokey

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Feb '16

new awning looks great Bill. can definitely tell you are putting a lot of effort and care in making this a great place in town. Can't wait to try the food

Jim L Jim L
Mar '16

Wild mushroom hand stretched wood grilled crust, local ricotta, smoked mozzarella & pecorino romano cheeses....then the steak, then the trifle...YUM!

Already know what I'm ordering, I can't wait!!

Heidi Heidi
Mar '16

james on main is pleased to announce that we will be opening for dinners beginning march 25th at 5 pm. reservations will be highly recommended for 4 or more. once the staff has steadied, we will introduce our brunch/lunch menu. thank you to all that have been involved, excited about, or simply have been supportive of the james on main concept! the reality is about to begin! see you in the dining room!

chef bill

longtime townie '92 longtime townie '92
Mar '16

Cannot wait to visit your new place ! Best of luck!

BrandyB BrandyB
Mar '16

Can't wait to try your place!!!!

Can't wait!

My Wife and I had the great pleasure of being invited to Bill's friend and family event last night and we could not have been more blown away. The décor was tastefully done and has that small town feel. Bill used old black/white photographs from Hackettstown and surrounding towns and somehow the space actually felt larger than the old restaurant. Bill hired a friendly staff that did a great job, we couldn't tell it was their first night serving guests!

And of course the food was amazing. 2 of us had the Steak, one had the Alaskan Salmon ( yes he had it in stock lol) and the 4th had the berkshire hog hash which he couldn't stop raving about. The wild mushroom pizza was the perfect appetizer and the French onion soup had a little special ingredient from Home Brew University :)

Congrats Bill on a wonderful restaurant that will sure to be a special place in Hackettstown. We wish you nothing but the best!

jim L jim L
Mar '16

Very nice feedback Jim. Congrats Bill, we're looking forward to the opening!

Very excited for this! Not too familiar with that side of town though, is there a parking lot nearby? It's not the shady one behind Domino's, is it?

Looking forward to trying this place out!

AlanG AlanG
Mar '16

NOPE won't fall into that trap. Can't do it nope move on.........................................................................................................................

type delete type delete

Christine Christine
Mar '16

Ate at James on Main tonight. The food was wonderful! Totally different than anything else around. The service was great, staff is very accommodating. I highly recommend it to everyone! Give it a try, you'll become a regular! Great addition to Main Street Hackettstown! Congratulations to chef Bill and staff. Can't wait to go back!!

Cathy Cathy
Mar '16

Alan, from what I seem to recall not to any trees in that parking lot. It seems some other lots have more sunlight if that's what your going for. Street parking probably gets a good amount of sunshine. Hope that helps.

Hank Arthur
Mar '16

Here we go........

positive positive
Mar '16

Have a fun time positive, let us know how it is!

Hank Arthur
Mar '16

Just heard the interview this morning with Bill (chef) of James on Main Restaurant. They had their soft opening last night and tonight officially open Wishing Bill and all of James on Main the very best in their new endeavor. Do not recall if they mentioned being open Easter Sunday on the interview...Maybe someone out there knows??

joyful joyful
Mar '16

Hank Arthur,

Well played Sir, well played.

JerryG JerryG
Mar '16

one recommendation - get better search results on the internet ... I googled "james on main Hackettstown nj" and it pointed to this webpage but it did not find your .net website.

ken e
Mar '16

ken e, I just googled the exact same thing and their website was the fourth result.

It brought the .net up for me when I googled it, I think it was the 4th item down the list.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '16

The food was absolutely amazing! I am so happy that there is now a nice restaurant on main street! It's my new favorite spot! I ordered the french onion soup and steak frites and it was delicious! Can't wait to take my friends and family there in the near future.

Paige Paige
Mar '16

No problem googled James on main, brought me to website

outsider outsider
Mar '16

We just went tonight and it was wonderful! The food and service were impeccable. The owner came out to our table to see if we were enjoying our food. I'm thrilled and very impressed that this business is supporting local farms for their ingredients and Harper's bakery for thier breads. If only all businesses would support the local shops and farms like they are doing!! We wish them good luck and best wishes!!

behappydaily behappydaily
Mar '16

i am a traditionalist therefor I only use charcoal when I grill at home.
After eating the burger tonight @ James on main, I'm blown away by the great wood smoke after taste. I am now considering switching to wood on the grill at home.
The fries were killer, never thought I would say this, but " James on main has better fries than hotdog johnnies" & johnnies has great fries.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Mar '16

What a wonderful addition to downtown Hackettstown! Chef Bill and all his staff nailed it on the first night! Delicious, locally sourced, healthy prep and comfortable...who could ask for more! Best wishes for continued success!

mrs. Vander Vliet
Mar '16

Had dinner there tonight - fortunately I thought to call in case I needed a reservation - I am happy to say that I did - on a Tuesday night - at 6:45pm. Dinner was excellent - We'll definitely go back!

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '16

Seem like nice people that run the business. I wonder if this area will support them, it is expensive had the shrimp and grits very buttery, my friend had the steak at $25.00 for what was listed as a 12 oz steak seemed small all you got were a few fries or frites and 4 leaves of spinach, 1 small oyster mushroom and 3 slivers of sliced onion. Left hungry ,live and learn. I for one would not go back.

Mil mascaras Mil mascaras
Mar '16

Went last night with my wife. Nothing but good things to say about it.

Everything was well prepared, well presented, and tasty.

We will definitely be going back.

Re: James on Main Restaurant

Steak dinner from last night, great steak, wonderful fries and onions. Every bite delicious, worth every penny!

Bessie Bessie
Apr '16

yup Bessie that what I have and my plate looked just like your. Perfect about of food and well worth the cost.

Jim L. Jim L.
Apr '16

Thanks for letting us know Bessie

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Apr '16

Had dinner here tonight. We ordered the 12oz steak and the pork schnitzel. Both were excellent. One of the best steaks I ever tasted. The schnitzel was very good as well. All ingredients were very fresh including the crudités, the root vegetable side, and the garlicky greens. Will definitely be going back to try the rest of the menu!

tds1401 tds1401
Apr '16

Just got back from brunch at James on Main. Had the "hackettstown hanger steak and eggs". Delicious and plentiful. Didn't think I would like all of the sides, such as refried black beans and cilantro avocado, but they balanced the dish beautifully, with the tomato salsa and potato pie wedge, better than Stella G's, which heretofore was the best. Went home with four slices of steak for a sandwich tonight. A good deal. Going back for brunch with my kids and grandkids on Sunday.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

I have breakfast every Sunday at Stella G's for years now and have never been disappointed. Let's see if James on Main can make it through the first year before we start trashing a Hackettstown institution. Obviously Stella G's is the best and has withstood the test of time, unlike so many other Main St. restaurants, but I would like to try James on Main and wish them the best.

Maryjay5
Apr '16

What time do they serve Brunch on Sunday?

Apr '16

Who was thrashing Stella G's, certainly not Danny C.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '16

Maryjay5, kb2755,

Certainly not trashing Stella G's, one of the finest restaurants in town, unique, with fresh ingredients, talented chefs and bakers. Just comparing potatoes and potatoes, one of my personal benchmarks, but probably should not have said it in that way, since they are actually quite different: Stella G's are thinly riced and lightly browned. James on Main's are Rösti style, more like a fritter. Both are the best. We are blessed to have such great places to enjoy good food with family and friends.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

Maryjay5 - Whoa! Pump the brakes. How is saying that one particular item at a restaurant was better than that particular item at another place in any way trashing? Isn't it a good thing to have more than one really good place to eat in the same area?

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Whoa, Maryjay5, take it easy!

DannyC just said was he liked the way James on Main made their potatoes better than Stella G's. Geez, isn't that what this site is for, to get people's opinion on stores, restaurants, etc?

Heidi Heidi
Apr '16

Don't feed the troll.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '16

Mansfield Mama,

Brunch is 10-3 tomorrow (Sunday), and 10-2 Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

I recommend calling for reservations, even for brunch - they are booking up fast!

Thanks Jru for the info.

Apr '16

Is this a brunch where you pay a set price and eat what you want ? It looks more like you order off of the menu and just get to try what you order.

Mariann Mariann
Apr '16

Mariann,

My brunch yesterday was at a set price from the menu, but more than what I could consume in one sitting, so I had leftovers for supper. My first time there, so I don't know about ordering off the menu. Ask the chef.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

I called to confirm-updated brunch hours are 10-2 on Sunday as well.

churchlady churchlady
Apr '16

I had dinner here with my family. I LOVED it. It was all very fresh and delicious! Burgers were awesome. I had the Hog chop and it was fantastic. You can tell the chef knows what he is doing here. Glad to see this addition to our town,

JB400 JB400
Apr '16

Had dinner there tonite for the first time. Absolutely amazing!! My sister even commented that her salad was was the best salad she thinks she ever had. Salmon was scrumptious and when the wood grilled aroma hit my nose, I knew I was in for a treat! Even loved the wheat berry side, never had it before but it was delicious. Sister had the Bison nachos and loved them! Great, friendly service. Can't wait to go back! As a previous poster mentioned, we sat at counter and loved it. So great to see a well-run kitchen in action!

Lifeistooshort
Apr '16

Disclosure: my wife is a waitress there but I promise I'm not being biased! her sister and myself visited for the first time yesterday and really thought it was a great place. my sister is law is a very picky eater but tried everything we ordered and didn't not like a thing. we had...

1) bison nachos - lots of flavor and they give you SO much meat
2) burger with cheddar and bacon - cooked right, great size
3) chicken with risotto - really really good
4) side of fries - hand cut wedges. delicious!
5) oh and delicious bread comes with dinner too!
6) a chocolate brownie melty thingy (descriptive right?) ever had a lava cake at a restaurant? well this is what they SHOULD be.
7) a citrus trifle - a fruity dessert that tasted great, but if it's not choc it's not for me haha

now looking at that list you might think it's not that much food since it's an app, two entrees and a side we split plus a dessert eat. well, we were bursting at the seam when we left! the portions are really generous. everyone we met was super friendly working there and they even have a cute counter where you can sit and watch much of the kitchen work being done. my hopes were super high for JoM because my wife has been singing their praises, so I was all too happy to report that my expectations were easily exceeded last night.

Joshua Weinstein Joshua Weinstein
Apr '16

Went to James on Main tonight, and have just one word: sensational. Can't wait to go back and try more of Chef Bill's fabulous food!

summerrain1 summerrain1
Apr '16

Well said summerrain1 ~ sensational!

I was there last Wednesday for a birthday celebration and can't rave enough about my entire experience. So happy Chef Bill opened up in our town.

GWTWQUEENIE GWTWQUEENIE
Apr '16

My first visit for brunch today was sensational. I say my first visit because I'm planning on going back so I can try their dinner menu. So happy to have a great place nearby!!

We went for dinner last night, excellent experience. The steak was amazing, so tender it was easily cut with a butter knife.

KC Sunshine KC Sunshine
May '16

I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, so don't know if the answer to this question is in here somewhere. LOL

Do they take dinner reservations for 2, or do you have to be a larger group?

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

A friend of ours and her husband went to James on Main a week or so ago and it was a Tuesday evening, Calico. She made reservations for the two of them and said she was glad she did as it was packed when they arrived there to eat. It is a small restaurant so might not be a bad idea to reserve...

joyful joyful
May '16

Thanks joyful.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Calico, we made reservations for two for tonight to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. Hope you can enjoy the food too. This will be our first time there too.

May '16

MM, happy anniversary to you and Gene... here's to 30 more years.

ianimal ianimal
May '16

Happy Anniversary, Mansfield Mama, from us too!!

joyful joyful
May '16

Ianimal and joyful, Thank you both so very much!!!!

May '16

Happy Anniversary! Enjoy!

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

I am coming to H'Town in a couple of weeks, I will give James on Main a try, so looking forward to this! Nice to see that there are additional places to dine on Main Street. Stella G's is great, but someplace else is nice for a change of scenery and menu selections.

Momma Mo Momma Mo
May '16

Just had our anniversary dinner there and loved every bite. The French Onion soup was the best Gene has ever had and I loved my Butternut Squash soup.
Gene's burger was very tender and my Salmon was delicious. The side of root vegetables were very flavorful.
The 3 doughnuts we shared for dessert were so tender and filled with a great fruit filling.
All we can say is, when do we eat there again? Hopefully very soon!!!!
Kelly, our server, was very personable and very knowledgeable. Thanks for a great night!!!

May '16

The food and service were AMAZING!!!

I highly recommend it!!

Summer Summer
May '16

We met friends for dinner tonight at James on Main. It was a delight. The meal was delicious. I had the shrimp, and as good as that was I coveted the pork chop that my husband ordered. It was large enough that he could generously share several bites with me. If you ever ate a meal with my husband you'd understand that's a pretty big portion.

They have done a great job with the interior, too. Nice and comfortable, and it does seem larger inside than it did before.

I'm so happy to have a place like this in Hackettstown. My husband filled his growler with thevporter at Manskirt, and we walked two blocks down for this delicious meal with good company. Doesn't get better than that.

Aquarius Aquarius
May '16

I just made a reservation for Saturday night. Can't wait to try it.

Aquarius - We might do the same as you in getting a growler at Manskirt to take with us.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

We tried to go to lunch today but they don't do lunch on Wed. Hoping to get there soon!

Christine Christine
May '16

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did, Calico!

Aquarius Aquarius
May '16

WOW! Just wow! This place is fabulous!

We ended up filling our growler up at Jersey Girl instead of Manskirt because we hadn't been there yet. We got the Golden Ale, which was good, but I think I prefer the Manskirt beer over Jersey Girl.

Anyway, James on Main is not to be missed. Everything was spectacular, from the decor to the service, to the food. I had the roasted chicken and my husband had the filet mignon. The meats were great quality and cooked to perfection. The fresh vegetable sides were delicious. The filet came with a side of duck fat fried fingerling potatoes, which my husband said were awesome.

We will definitely be back. I can't remember having a meal this culinary satisfying in Hackettstown since Cara Mia was open. It's a little on the pricey end, but worth every penny.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

I can't seem to see a price on these foods. Can anyone tell me where to get this information?

Thanks

Bernie Bernie
May '16

Bernie - The only way to see the prices is at the restaurant on the menu. Entrees range between $20 and $40. My chicken was $24 and the filet mignon special was $39. Hope that helps.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Thanks Calico. I will try this soon. Sounds YUMMY

Bernie Bernie
May '16

I hope they eventually put a vegetarian entree on the menu!

happiest girl
May '16

Bernie, the prices are on the menu posted on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/JamesOnMain/menu/?p_ref=pa

jrsemom jrsemom
May '16

Ate there Friday with a group of six, nice atmosphere, food was good but not worth the price. We all thought the portions were small. Also felt awful for the family that arrived with a person in a wheelchair and there was no access for them to get in.

Donna M Donna M
May '16

This place is fabulous & if you haven't tried it yet you need to go - just be sure to make a reservation as the place is very small. I like sitting at the bar so that I can watch the chef at work.

Donna M - Portions small? I guess small is a relative term regarding the viewer. We didn't have an appetizer or dessert and brought half our meat home. We were more than satisfied by the portion.

jrsemom - Thanks, I never looked at the FB page.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Are they set up to do takeout?

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
May '16

Yes. They do take out.

Hackmom Hackmom
May '16

Finally got to try James on Main. It was fantastic! Will definitely be back.

Renter Renter
May '16

Tonight was our first dining experience at James On Main and it was Wonderful!! One of the two of us is a Vegetarian and the Wild Mushroom Pizza was delicious and definitely Not small. As an accompaniment the root veggies were excellent. I had 2 items from the specials menu: 1. a chicken and broccoli rabe sausage and 2. a watercress beet salad with plentiful Blue Cheese and roasted hazelnuts ... both delicious and more than I could finish. We appreciate this wonderful dining addition to Main Street. In our estimation prices are very good for the product. Servers are knowledgeable and excellent. We will definitely go back.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
May '16

Finally visited James on Main a week or two ago and tried the 'brunch' offered Thursday - Sunday. Very nice. Good portions of food, everyone liked it, especially my granddaughter who had the huge chocolate chip pancake with a side of whipped cream! The atmosphere is very cozy. Definitely visiting again!

Denise Denise
May '16

Brunch tomorrow in celebration of my youngest daughter, Kim's and my birthdays. Will let you know how good it is, but expect Chef Bill's best..

DannyC DannyC
May '16

Brunch today was unbelievably good: Scrambled eggs with three choices of fillings, crab cakes (loaded with - guess what - crabmeat!) , hangar steak and eggs, huge cheese burger, salads, bruschetta, all delivered at the same time perfectly cooked. My grandson, Chase, a self-proclaimed cheeseburger connoisseur, said it was the best he ever ate, and he ate the whole pound of it, plus delicious fries. Saw the chef and his staff working very hard and fast, and know that they are skilled at what they were doing. Impressive, and a true pleasure. Staff service was all over our group for whatever we wanted. A fine place!

DannyC DannyC
May '16

Glad you enjoyed Danny. Ever since we ate there, I keep thinking of when we will go back. Very delicious and so worth it!

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Great place and great food. It was a little in there with the heat and the oven going so dress in your lightest clothes.

FredFinger FredFinger
May '16

HOLY CRAPOLA. Went to James on Main for the first time last night. My husband had "probably the best steak [he] has ever had". My pizza was delicious. This food is NOT to be missed!
To the owner: Thank you so much for coming to our little town and making it better! With Czig and Manskirt Brewing companies right across the road, what a great way to patronize two local businesses in one shot!
I love the new improvements to our town - can't wait to go back again!

Natalie Natalie
Jul '16

We were there last week too and it was, by far, one the best meals we've had in a very long time. The watermelon gazpacho was seasoned perfectly and so refreshing. My entree was the best crabcake I've ever had. And I've eaten a LOT of crabcakes in my life. My DH had the haddock and it, too, was excellent. The desserts were outstanding. I had the molten chocolate brownie, (omg!) and DH had a buttercream plum cake with a lavender and earl grey sauce. Top notch.
I am so impressed with the food here. Hopefully James on Main is here to stay.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '16

Love the food at James on Main. Great place for Hackettstown. Only problem is the manager. Every time my husband and I are there , we feel very rushed. I get it, it's a small place but we pay a lot to eat there. Last time we were there , I could hear the manager say "get them out of here". We've been there quite a few times and every time she is our only problem. We can hear her yelling at wait staff and rushing everyone out. We are usually in and out within an hour to hour and half. I think that's reasonable time to enjoy dinner. I know a few people that feel the same. Manager needs to learn manners. Take a lesson from your male wait staff. He's always friendly and polite.

Hackmom Hackmom
Aug '16

When I hear complaints like this, I look at both sides. I don't want to be rushed, but I also know what it takes to run a business.

Do the math, how many seats / tables, how much is 'peak hours'..then calculate #'s from a business perspective on turnover needed for income needed to pay employees, overhead, keep the doors open and hopefully turn a profit.

You may need to adjust your expectations to the fact that it is a small place and you have to sacrifice being leisurely in such an environment in exchange for good food.

All true but nobody wants to hear "get them out of here". A little more discretion is advised.

Let's just hope the owner checks here for feedback. Would be a shame fior him to start getting negative feedback over this. The food is fabulous. Josh does make a good point though. I never really thought of it that way before. I was having dinner at a place in Randolph once, with friends that I hadn't seen in a while. We were actually asked to leave since others were waiting for a table. We weren't there overly long and dinner was quite expensive, needless to say we never returned.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

Hackmom, thank you for bringing this to our attention. As I am the manager, yes, we do have different times for other reservations, but never have I said to "get them out of here". We do our best to accommodate each and every customer that we have. We sincerely respect your opinion and are very happy that you enjoy the food. But as I have said before, I have never been rude to any customer and I apologize if you feel I have. And I do not yell at my staff thank you. We are a great team and work wonderfully together.. We are a small restaurant and have specific times for each reservation and our wait list..I do what I can to make sure everyone is happy, and enjoying themselves. You can easily come in to speak with me if you have an issue..

Josh, thank you very much for your kind words. I appreciate your support and understanding.

FOH Manager FOH Manager
Aug '16

I should have also said that a few weeks ago I called to see if they could squeeze me in for an early dinner on a Friday night. The hostess or manager was very accommodating and I was able to get a table for two. That being said I was cognizant that there was a full schedule of reservations for the night so we didn't linger.

Oh dear.... here we go.

pmnsk pmnsk
Aug '16

As the chef and owner, I will work toward resolution of these issues. It is challenging on many fronts, but unacceptable to forgo hospitality for scheduling. When we have you as our guest, our hospitality should be extended for your entire experience. My apologies for our inability to meet your expectations. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Chef

Bill Van Pelt Bill Van Pelt
Aug '16

FOH Manager and Bill, thank you for your posts. As I'm sure you are aware, the tide can turn very quickly on this forum (and others) and I would hate to see that happen to you. I've only eaten there once and loved it. My daughter on the other hand has been there many times. Neither of us received anything but exceptional service and terrific food. Lesson learned here is if you have an issue in a restaurant or store, address it right then and there. You have become one of Hackettstowns shining stars.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

I would fire the FOH Manager. I highly doubt it that a customer would come on this site who is a regular and lie. You should of privately messaged Hackmom one on one. You are unprofessional. Remember actions speak loud and clear and silence speaks volumes. You FOH Manager take this as a learning experience and move forward.

I don't think FOH Manager was unprofessional at all. He/she is stating their side and wasn't wrong in doing so in public as the original commenter already posted their side on the public forum. I think both are allowed to voice their side on the same platform. Saying they should be fired is completely out of line.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Aug '16

You really think people don't come on here and lie, now that's funny!

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

Definitely can't please everyone. Thank you both FOH Manager & Bill for providing feedback. Personally I think that this is a great addition to Hackettstown and the food and service have always been fantastic - keep up the great work.

Just spit out my water. Lol....

positive positive
Aug '16

Right there with you positive! LOL

We enjoy James on Main, have been very pleased all around and have recommended it to many. It's great to see that the manager and Bill have both posted here. Thank you for your responses.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Ditto - excellent meals - both brunch and dinner - and no problem with anything -

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

Fantastic food and great service! Definitely going back!!

kerii
Aug '16

Please! I own my own business and my family owns restaurants and yes I would fire the manager. Why would a person tell a lie pertaining to this topic? Think about it. So don't insult my intelligence Bessie. Stop with the tunnel vision and stop being illiterate and taking my words and thoughts out of context. I have called for reservations before and I was told to call back in an hour by a male that answered and then called again an hour later and the same male that answered rushed me off the phone stating nothing was available the rest of the night. He seemed frazzled and unprofessional. He could of explained it differently and got me to make reservations for another night. Every business goes through growing pains till they find the right staff with the right chemistry. Also the FOH reply on this topic was rude in some instances but then she tried to pull it back in with apologies. Time will tell. If the FOH is related to the Chef she will be going no where. So chew on that Bessie.

Mish, why so angry? I didn't say you lied or that OP lied, merely that people lie. Sounds like you have an ax to grind. Chew on that, and I'm done playing tennis. Match over for me.
PS Is your business local and your families restaurants local? Please share so Ican give the locals my business.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

Bessie not angry at all! Just saying what I feel no ill will. Family has restaurants in Florida. Very successful. Best of luck to James on Main. Just remember good customer service and good food will keep the customers coming. They both go hand and hand.

What's odd about this is the large number of people who have eaten at James on Main (practically everyone I know in town, including myself, has been there at least once or twice), and all I ever hear is how great the place is, how fresh the food is, how kind the staff is, etc. This has also been my experience as well.

The fact that this ONE person, ONLY Hackmom, out of all the people in the area who have eaten there, has experienced this "problem" makes me wonder if Hackmom is the problem.

To sit there for an hour and a half, when people are waiting to be seated, in my humble opinion, seems so RUDE to me. As someone who was a waitress many (many) years ago, I know that you have to keep tables moving on busy nights - that's part of the front end (or dining room) managers job.

Also, how does Hackmom know that what she "overheard" the manager say (Get them out of here!) pertained to them if the restaurant was super busy? The only logical reason they would ASSUME she was talking about them when they "overheard" that would be (in my mind) because they KNEW they were there longer than everyone else.

Just saying...

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

Seems like there are a couple of nasty people on here making comments without knowing the true facts. If you have a true issue with a business, go and talk to them in person instead of hiding behind a fake name and posting it on a forum. No one can take you seriously when you make ridiculous comments on here.

I have eaten at James on Main many times & have never felt rushed or had any problems with the service or the food. Take a look on Yelp & you will see 31 reviews - 5 stars. No one on there has complained like Hackmom or Mish. Seems like both of you do not know what you are talking about.

To further prove what a fantastic establishment this place is, Trip Advisor shows 27 4.5 stars & 21 4.6 Google reviews.

Its a great place. Just eat quickly.

Just swallow!

Greg G
Aug '16

When a restaurant is in the planning stages, what is the normal table turnaround time for food at this price? I would think maybe 1.5 hours. It's made to order. Maybe you are doing a byob evening. If they are rushing customers, or putting reservations too close, to try to accommodate such a wonderful demand, they could instead either raise prices to lower demand, move, or live with your choice to linger 1.5 hours. It is great food in a small space. That's why the last restaurant relocated. Europeans would never tolerate a rushed fine dining experience. That's for Applebee's. I'm sure management will adjust if need be. They are a great addition to Main!

maja2 maja2
Aug '16

Hackmon and Mish there are another restaurants in Hackettstown I think both of you got problems and Florida restaurants are very slow always seniors and vacationist are there.
James on Main is the best!!!! and I am not a friend of them but I go twice a month since openning.

Restaurant Critic Restaurant Critic
Aug '16

Best food and service in Hackettstown bar none. Fresh, local ingredients cooked expertly. Never rushed. Great waitresses. Desserts to die for.

Concerned Concerned
Aug '16

Concerned, someone posted a picture the other day of some wonderful looking dessert in a mason jar. I need to go back there.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

I have to agree, strongly, with all the praise this place is getting...took wifey there and we both had amazing dishes. Best Steak I ever had...also, sitting at the counter was great, as we watched that well-oiled machine of a kitchen staff work their magic!

Definitely going back!!!

Disclaimer: I have ZERO affiliation with the restaurant or any of the staff...this is a legit, unbiased, opinion...that food was GOOOOD! LOL

I just wanted to add that our "meat and potatoes" self avowed steak aficionado friend went to James on Main and ordered the steak. We were holding our breath in fear, because he is a "steak expert" and knows his cuts, how to cook them, etc.

Well, he said, and I quote..."it was the best damn steak I ever had."

just wanted everyone to know that, if you have a hankering for a good steak!!

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

Oh and a disclaimer; I don't eat steak (or any red meat) so I can"t personally attest to any of this but he and my husband (another steak man) were in heaven eating their delicious steaks.

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

Awesome.

By the way, can anyone tell me what local business Mish Bish owns?

I would like to go there and check it out in real life. You know, to give it the benefit of the doubt regardless of how she/he comes across online?

We are going there on Tuesday for the first time for my birthday, now I REALLY can't wait!!!!!!
We have been meaning to get there but for one reason or another just haven't made it... I know I'm having a steak now thanks to the above!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Aug '16

dadogmomma - Your steak aficionados will not be disappointed. Even the brunch menu has a fantastic hanger steak and eggs dish, with all kinds of tasty sides. Chef Bill knows where to buy the best beef and how to cook it to perfection. Enjoy.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Dadogmomma..save room for dessert

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

Went there recently for dinner--our first time. The food was divine and we plan to go back. This is the type of restaurant sorely needed in Hackettstown and it's a true asset to the town. I must admit, though, that the service was not as good as expected and this was not on a weekend, although the place was hopping. Our male waiter was not as responsive as we'd hoped and seemed more focused on a large table that came in well after we were seated. We had to flag down other waitstaff for a few things because he just didn't bring certain things we requested. We are patient people and not the demanding types.

I get it. A larger table means a larger tip. But it's a small restaurant and it wouldn't have been too much trouble to bring butter to go along with the bread after we asked for it and to offer bread rather than our having to request it and wait quite a while for it. We left a good tip in hopes of dispelling any misconceptions the waiter might have about women not tipping as well as men. Hoping next time the service matches the exquisite food.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Aug '16

"We left a good tip in hopes of dispelling any misconceptions the waiter might have about women not tipping as well as men"

Is this really a thing?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

I'm a woman & always leave 20% even if the service is crappy. Everyone has bad days & don't always love their job.

JayDee JayDee
Aug '16

First world problems.

Lives in PV Lives in PV
Aug '16

Restaurant Critic: You should of read what I said instead of twisting things around. I like everyone else have a right to express myself. I am not angry so do not get it twisted. I only committed on Hackmom's experience. I also mentioned I myself had tried to make reservations and was rushed off the phone - not very professional! There are barely any good restaurants in this area. If you go toward Rockaway and further toward the city that is where you will find really good restaurants especially in the city. Heck you can't even find a good bakery up here. Bottom line I wish all businesses in this area the best of luck. Obviously you have not traveled much in the more prominent areas of Florida. Members of my immediate family moved down there 20 years ago and all their restaurants are still going strong. By the way my family is from NYC and Brooklyn and they are far from slow and the majority of the customers come from abroad and the people that are fortunate enough to spend winters in the south and summer and spring in the north. So do not take what I say out of context Restaurant Critic and try to bash me and you wonder why kids today act the way they act when people act like they act on these blogs. People taking things out of context. Your setting a real fine example for your kids and other kids you may know. So lets stop with trying to bash someone that respectfully expressed their opinion. Enough! Really!

"Is this really a thing?"

Yes, it most definitely is. Have 3 family members working in the restaurant industry who can all vouch for the belief, however erroneous it is. It's even worse if you're a woman dining alone as I have when traveling for business. You are viewed as a potential low tipper and sometimes treated in kind.

So what if this is a first-world problem? The thread is about a restaurant in town. People are quick to jump on someone who is not happy with the way she was treated when she was rushed out. You weren't there, so you don't know what transpired. I also had mediocre service, but it was from a waiter and not from management. We can either stick our heads in the sand and ignore bad service and let it continue or make it known so that the owner can address it with his staff. I'd like to see James on Main succeed. But great food only goes so far and if there's an issue with service, the owner would probably like to know about it. I know I would.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Aug '16

Yikes!! First time reading this thread. I'm taking my son there for his birthday and I never go by critics opinions. I agree with anyone on this thread who said bring it to the owner's attention vs bashing on here. This is their dream and probably life savings. I'm sure they will always accept constructive criticism. Of course positive feedback will help them. I only hope the bashers go back and try them again. It could have been an off night. I look forward to going. Let's bring positive back into our lives instead of anger and nastiness. Life is too short....

Natari Natari
Aug '16

Taking a friend here Saturday for dinner, this will be my second visit. Have to say that the first time was excellent and I am really looking forward to it. Great addition to town.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '16

Nice to read some positiveness. I totally agree. Again I wish all the success for James on Main. I am sure they will work through their growing pains as time goes on and be very successful.

My husband and I went for brunch yesterday - our first visit - everything was perfect! My husband had the grilled steak sandwich and I had a tomato jam and cheese melt sandwich. They were both very good! The tables were all taken, the waitress was great and attentive and the food excellent! Dessert was also delicious - I had the citrus sponge cake trifle and my husband had a chocolate lave brownie - I forget the exact names but both couldn't have been better. There are many pictures of old time Hacketstown hanging on the walls - very interesting to look at. We will definitely go back and it's nice to have this gem of a restaurant in Town.

Mrs. Resident Mrs. Resident
Aug '16

If not fortunate enough to park on Main Street near the restaurant, where are other choices?

Wonderful Wonderful
Aug '16

You can park in the parking lot behind Domino's Pizza and walk. It is not a far walk.

Aug '16

Parking on Valentine across the street or around the block behind Dominos

Darwin Darwin
Aug '16

Wonderful -

The large public lot between High & Liberty
Dollar General Lot
Czigmeister Lot on Valentine - get a growler fill and take it with you
Steiger Street Quickchek parking
New CVS parking
You might also ask about parking in back but that may be for staff only

Luca you need to learn how to read and comprehend instead of taking my opinion out of context. I have a problem with that and josh calling me mish bish and also taking my opinion out of context. You both can contact me so I can put you both in your place. Josh then will see what a bish I am. I will chew you up and spit you out with my words alone. And to the monitor of this website. I was not out of line or disrespectful to no one and just responded to these 2 people attacking my character and taking my opinion out of context. It was not right to delete my response to these 2. I hope you do not delete this response. Enough said.

probably not the best idea to be posting on HL at 3am.

darwin darwin
Aug '16

Too funny Darwin..thought the same thing. Lol

positive positive
Aug '16

Had dinner here last night, in one word all I can say is DELICIOUS. The zeppoles filled with apricot were one of the best things I have ever tasted. The shrimp with risotto so yummy, my friend's husband was home waiting for leftovers and he must have been very disappointed because she ate every bite! Our waiter was beyond attentive, terrific personality and gave great recommendations. A very nice woman, whom I assume was the manager came over to to see how everything was and even cleared some dishes. We had plenty of time, did not feel rushed at all. Will definitely be back soon.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '16

Absolutely fabulous! We purposely brought in a big red wine because of all the steak recommendations so we chose from the menu based on our wine choice. The homemade hummus was wonderful, I would have eaten it by the spoonful! Started with the sausage of the day and the special heirloom tomato salad that we both shared. Both were terrific, the salad was summer on a plate and the chorizo was perfect - had some spice to it, but not overwhelming - wonderfully flavorful! I went with the 12 oz strip, hubby got the cowboy steak special, brought half our meals home because I was NOT forgoing dessert on my birthday. Finished with the molten brownie. The steaks were amazing, you were all right!!!! Perfect!!!!

Had wonderful conversations with all the staff we interacted with, including Chef.

Next time we're bringing a nice white wine and will head towards the fish side of the menu and those zeppoles!!

A wonderful gem, a great addition to Hackettstown!!!!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Aug '16

Went to the restaurant that used to be where JAMES ON MAIN is now.

The Portuguese place that bought out the PUMP HOUSE. The place just takes your breath away at how they have transformed the old place.

The food was great, the service was good with just two people handling the many tables BUT it was very loud. They should have put in different acoustics. The prices are abit high but a lovely place to go for a special evening.

Enjoy. .

Bernie Bernie
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.