Hackettstown in the News 2016

WOW! Is anyone a patient at Skylands Dental and know this woman? I never understood how people think they can get away with this type of thing.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/01/woman_steals_83000_from_hacket.html#incart_article_small

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '16

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/01/hackettstown_woman_charged_wit.html

Disgusting!

Booster90 Booster90
Jan '16

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/129822
Wow.

kepa
Jan '16

How sad! Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the owner of a pet sitting business in town?

What happens to animals in a situation like that?

Yikes! I hear she has two other homes, too. One on water street and another in Schooley's Mountain. I wonder if they checked out those homes also. If not, they should.

It's sad - the poor animals are the ones who suffer.

honey badger honey badger
Jan '16

It sounds like this woman is psychologically unwell. I think it's possible she cared about animals and "thought" she was saving them from a worse fate.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jan '16

Worked with her with PAL many years ago. She really cared about animals. Even her own were taken care of before herself. Sounds like she must have had a breakdown of some sort. As far as I know she only has the home on Valentine Street. My heart sorrows for the animals as well as herself. Know she always had a lot of outside only cats; have they been provided for? She used to make sure they had plenty of food and shelter.

Dansker Dansker
Jan '16

I'm sure it's surprisingly easy for someone who wants to "save every animal" to become overwhelmed in this way. Pride and/or shame prevents them from seeking assistance even though they probably know that they've gone way past the tipping point. It's very sad... I hope she and the animals get the help they need.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

well said ianimal.

kepa
Jan '16

Yes, well said. That was my first thought that she means well but got overwhelmed.

yes to ianimal. I have seen or heard of this before. I hope that she is ok and the animals are also. I dont think people should post nasty comments about her. Like disgusting or stuff I see on facebook Htown police site. It could really hurt her if she read that and we dont know what her status is really. Hope they are all ok.

A good day
Jan '16

I'm not sure how I feel about this. She was my dogwalker when I lived in Hackettstown and I had her come to care for my Murphy during the last months of her life and to walk the other pups while I was at work.
I'm so surprised by this and believe she was overwhelmed and took on more than she could handle. I'm sure she's devestated by this loss of her animal family. I know she took wonderful care of my dying puppy and will always appreciate her kindness to her.

Does anyone know where they went ?
Common Sense? I'd like to rescue 1 or 2.

MikeL MikeL
Jan '16

Beautifully said ianimal and A good day. I don't think this woman ever set out to harm animals. I think she needs our compassion. I also hate to see someone's name get dragged through the mud publicly. I don't believe I've ever met her but my heart goes out to her, especially because she will likely be ripped to shreds online (Facebook), which I would not wish on anyone.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '16

Rebecka,
I completely agree. I do know her and she would never intentional hurt an animal. I'm so surprised by this I don't know what more to say.

MikeL MikeL
Jan '16

Not sure but If this is the same person I've met through PAL, her life revolves around animals and she has great compassion and love for them. Like Ian pointed out she probably became overwhelmed and just couldn't turn down the next stray n the next......

I could certainly see a situation like this escalating out of control before you know it.

positive positive
Jan '16

Does anyone know where they went ?
Common Sense? I'd like to rescue 1 or 2 of the most at risk.

MikeL MikeL
Jan '16

I'd also like to point out that I know she reads and posts on this forum.

A little compassion during this difficult period might be nice.

MikeL MikeL
Jan '16

I have met this woman at adoption functions in the past. She is a very kind and compassionate person and loves the animals. So sad.

pampurr pampurr
Jan '16

I have also met her and she does read and post here. I would agree that she has a love for animals and that this in no way was intentional. At the same time we have to remember that showing love and care or doing a good deed should result in everyone being happy and content. Regardless of whether she meant well or not the end result was these animals, herself, and her home were all in unsatisfactory conditions. "IF" she has some type of illness or altered mental state then I hope she gets the help she needs. In the end these poor animals were unhappy and not cared for properly and that is the saddest part.

How sad is it that living in filth is a crime requiring law enforcement? How about offering some help instead of making an arrest? Collectively "we" are really pathetic in our never-ending push for control over others that there is even a law involved. Was there any request made to have the home cleaned up before charges were filed? If not, that makes this even more pathetic and sad.

And how sad is it that negative "judging" happens first and understanding comes second. Something is backwards here...

jusitntime jusitntime
Jan '16

Mike - Nice of you to want to adopt some of these poor animals. If you call the ACO, she can tell you where the animals are being held.

http://www.hackettstown.net/animal-control-officer/

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '16

Ditto to JRT's post.....

joyful joyful
Jan '16

its absolutely bogus to not think this was intentional. if it wasn't, then it should most definitely be chalked up to mental illness. if it was intentional, she is malicious and deserves to be charged.

your personal anecdotes, and the fact she reads this forum, does NOT excuse her from what she did nor does the reasoning that she may be mentally ill. GET SOME HELP; DON'T HARM ANIMALS EVEN IF YOU THINK POOP EVERYWHERE IS OKAY.

Ceewiz Ceewiz
Jan '16

obviously we don't know the entire story here, but i tend to feel some compassion for this lady. From all accounts, she truly loved animals. Something seems to have gone seriously wrong.

What i find amazing is that at a time when as a society we are supposed to keep vigilant for our own safety-see something say something (or smell something say something) where were all the complaints from neighbors, etc? A police officer smelled a horrible stench coming from this home. So horrible that he couldn't handle it and needed backup. ugh. I can't believe no one reported it.

I really can imagine a jihadi bomb factory setting up shop on main street and no one would be the wiser.

Ceewiz,
Don't preach about something you know nothing about.
You are entirely wrong.
I know Ann and I know what the issue is but I am not at liberty to reveal her personal information on this forum.

happiest girl
Jan '16

I hope she and the animals get the help they need.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '16

I second that Calico.

Agreed Calico

Skippy Skippy
Jan '16

And I personally think that's all that needs to be said publicly about this! :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '16

Amen Rebecka.

happiest girl
Jan '16

A man with a plan.

On 1/30/16 at approx 3:21AM a Hackettstown Police officer initiated a traffic stop with a vehicle on Charles St for a moving violation. While the officer was talking to the driver, who was identified as 22yro Kevin Dougherty of Great Meadows, NJ; the officer detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage. The officer then noticed Kevin wasn’t wearing any pants or shoes and there was also a bag of red wine on the floor by his feet. The officer then observed shopping bags full of empty twisted tea cans and boxes of wine inside the vehicle. Kevin was charged with driving while intoxicated, failure to maintain lane, consumption of alcoholic beverage in a motor vehicle and reckless driving. Kevin was released pending a court appearance.

Denis Denis
Feb '16

WOW, that's one hell of a redneck vehicle party!

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '16

https://m.facebook.com/hackettstownpd/posts/980488178674114

This is this man's 2nd run-in with the police within a couple months, hopefully he gets the help he needs. Glad no one was hurt.

iKnow iKnow
Feb '16

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/02/alleged_bomb_threat_temporaril_1.html#incart_river_home

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Feb '16

I have two problems with this. One, no one was notified of any of this until tonight. Two, if they wad a real bomb, how would sheltering in place help? They should have treated it like a fire drill and evacuated the school.

I agree Rich. I thought the school was suppose to send out a broadcast message to all parents letting them know the kids were in a lockdown. And yez why were the kids kept inside

htownlifer htownlifer
Feb '16

My understanding is that procedures suggested by the state does not include immediate evacuation. First is a shelter in place while the threat is evaluated by law enforcement. Then the decision is made if evacuation is required. There are actual reasons for this.

As far as getting notified during any incident (lock-down, shelter in place, etc), that is very unlikely to happen.

They have always sent a broadcast message after a lockdown

htownlifer htownlifer
Feb '16

Mike L --
Did you have any success in the adoption?

happiest girl
Feb '16

Making a big deal out of a bomb hoax would only encourage more of them--especially if the police don't have any substantiating evidence of a threat. Sometimes, a quiet investigation is better than potentially causing a panic or inspiring copycats.

In addition, ordering an immediate evacuation of a school--or virtually anyplace else--in response to a bomb threat is not always the safest move.
1. If the bomb were designed to be triggered remotely, initiating an evacuation could cause the bomber to trigger it before it can be found (and hopefully defused).
2. Without knowing where a bomb is (or perhaps more than one bomb), evacuation could actually put more people in danger. Schools and other commercial buildings often have concrete walls that could deflect or block an explosion. If a bomb were, say, placed inside a locker in a school hallway, the kids might be safer in the classrooms than transiting the hallway.
3. People and property are often injured or damaged, when people panic. And thus, avoiding a panic might be just as important as evacuation of a school over a fake bomb threat. For example, panicked students might start smashing windows and injuring themselves to climb outside.

Yes, I'm sure that all parents want to know immediately, if their children might be in immediate danger. But the greater responsibility is to protect the children, first, in the best way possible.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Feb '16

They did not institute a Lockdown, They instituted a "shelter in place". there is a difference in the 2 procedures.

deviljet
Feb '16

No one is talking about panicked students. By "evacuation", I was only referring to treating it like a fire drill. That's how schools have always handled bomb threats in the past. As far as your first two comments, I do see your point.

"That's how schools have always handled bomb threats in the past."

I hate that kind of thinking... maybe they found a better way to handle them??????

darwin darwin
Feb '16

We used to have bomb scares once a week when I was in High School in the 90's. No one made a big deal out of it. We'd all laugh about it because we'd get to screw around in class.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '16

Hey... bomb scare in the 70's meant "cigarette break " on school grounds! And it was politically correct. "Cool" so to speak. Boy things have changed, huh? But it's a good thing if teens are smoking less.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Feb '16

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2016/02/woman_admits_stealing_from_comedian_joe_piscopo.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Feb '16

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/02/westminster_masters_obedience_championship_winner.html#incart_river_home

Not Hackettstown, but I figured she is not too far away either. Very cool that someone fairly local won this!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Feb '16

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/peyton-manning-details-20-year-old-sex-abuse-allegations-made-public-0

She's from Htown/Washington twp

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Feb '16

Any relation to Naughright Rd?

Every one out to make a quick buck. Terrible

angela1
Feb '16

She filed claims against 33 students and staff there, walked away with 300 grand, she has cashed in on suing other high profile people as well. Not surprised this generation of butt hurt safe space students jumped on the bandwagon when a high profile name is involved, it's the American way now.

Denis Denis
Feb '16

The road is named for the family. Scroll to bottom of page

I haven't seen this posted on here anywhere, so in case anyone wants to help out...

Hackettstown police officer, family lose belongings to fire

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/02/hackettstown_police_officer_fa.html#incart_related_stories

Police officer Jimmy Laoudis' house caught fire as he and his family slept early Monday morning, department spokesman Sgt. Darren Tynan said Tuesday night.

Laoudis and his wife, son and daughter escaped injury, but the family lost all their belongings, according to police.

The family can use any donations from clothing for the children, girls size 3T and boys 5T, to gift cards, Tynan said.

Donations can be dropped off 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays at police headquarters, 215 W. Stiger St., and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 27, at the Hackettstown Municipal Building, also at 215 W. Stiger St.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Thanks ianimal for posting that. Will definitely make a donation.

What town does he live in? Article does not say.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Feb '16

I thought I read that he's from Newton.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Feb '16

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/170782

more info on the P.O. - my thoughts and prayers are with you

Skippy Skippy
Feb '16

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/02/worker_caught_masturbating_by_webcam.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Mansfield Village...

Natari Natari
Feb '16

Haha! Hilarious and creepy at the same time. What a tool! The comments at the end are priceless as well.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '16

Great comments but really creepy indeed................almost feel like I need another shower after reading it

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

Sorry for the racist comment, but yet another hispanic "pulling" this shi!...

damn... how wasted do you have to be not to notice that one of your car's wheels fell off?

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/03/drunken_drivers_car_missing_wh.html#incart_river_home

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

Life must be boring for some...

http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2016/03/huge_nj_bar_crowd_detained_amid_bogus_stabbing_rep.html

There were 200 people in Bea McNally's after 1:00 am? Interesting.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Thursday night in a "college town" right around mid-terms week? Sounds about right.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

The scary part is they tracked him down via GPS

skippy skippy
Mar '16

What makes you think they tracked him via GPS? The story said they tracked him via "cell phone records" at his home address. His billing address may have been the "record" they obtained from the cell phone company.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

Calico, that also gave me pause...but I just assumed it's because I'm a dinosaur now.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Mar '16

My mother always said, "Nothing good happens after midnight." LOL

I was surprised, since I think Bea's is pretty crappy, that they would have that many patrons. Maybe there was a band or something.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

True

skippy skippy
Mar '16

@Calico696, lots of people love going to Bea's, it's always crowed at night Thursday through Saturday. I was there last Saturday for the UFC fight, and it was mobbed.

Denis Denis
Mar '16

Calico- From what I'm seeing on FB from the local youths (of age to drink). Bea's is like that every Thursday night. It's the hot place to be for the young drinkers. In my day it was Klees. I don't know if it's true, but do the college kids have class on Fridays? If not, that must be why it's so crowded. What will they do Thursday the 17th. I can also remember when the Claredon was packed with us at the time young drinkers.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '16

"My mother always said, "Nothing good happens after midnight."

Did your father take offense to that comment? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

"do the college kids have class on Fridays?"

When has that ever mattered when it came to drinking on Thursday night? (-;

Especially on campuses where students typically "go home" for the weekend, Thursday was always the big bar night.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

200 people still there after 1:00am....seems like a little bit of over exaggeration. and if it was that many people, shouldn't the town fire marshall be called in, because that might be exceeding the capacity limit there?!

smoothed
Mar '16

when did you all get so old, lol. Thursday nights have always been the biggest night out for college kids.

Darwin Darwin
Mar '16

Tough night for the cops, frisking all of those college girls. I hope they were getting paid overtime!

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/2016/03/15/hackettstown-man-charged-heroin-distribution/81828214/

This was in 2014 but I just had an awful experience with him and was checking on google to see if there was any history of problems with his care and came across this. I'm NOT saying this had anything to do with my experience but I have to wonder about his judgement all the way around.

I had gone to see him because I heard a pop in my back the night before and woke up in awful pain. He did NO physical exam and got annoyed with me when I told him I wanted to find out what the problem was and not just take pain meds. He got so annoyed and asked ME what I wanted him to do....Well how bout be a Doctor and find out what happened.....physical exam, xray, mri???? He finally wrote a referral for a MRI. Now the pop and pain was in my lower back on the left side. When I went to schedule the MRI, the woman told me he wrote it for the NECK. I don't know, I'm not a doc, but if the problem is lower back, WTH is a mri of the neck going to see.

Needless to say I've changed doctors.

http://www.newjerseyhills.com/mt_olive_chronicle/news/failure-to-wear-seat-belt-times-gets-costly-in-mount/article_e4a1816a-ca29-11e3-aa4f-0019bb2963f4.html

"Vineet S. Sandhu, 32, of Long Valley each pleaded guilty to drunk driving.

Sandhu registered a .09 blood alcohol reading, slightly higher than the legal limit of intoxication of .08. Estrella-Sachez’s blood alcohol reading was not available.

Sandhu was fined $256 and Estrella-Sachez was fined $306. They were each also assessed a $200 surcharge, $75 to the N.J. Safe Neighborhoods Program, $50 to the N.J. Victims Crime Compensation Board and $33 in costs. Estrella-Sachez' license was suspended for seven months and Sandhu's for three months."

littlelu littlelu
Mar '16

Stanhope Man Eats Ounce of Pot During Traffic Stop, say Cops

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/roxbury/articles/stanhope-man-eats-ounce-of-pot-during-traffic-sto

Talk about getting the munchies!

Joe M Joe M
Mar '16

Watch out for thieves at the library.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/04/bandit_accused_of_stealing_fro.html#incart_river_index

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

She must have needed the money to pay her overdue fees. Lol. What an idiot!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Apr '16

http://wrnjradio.com/rnj-news-department/2016/video-woman-sought-in-wallet-theft-at-hackettstown-dairy-queen/

ooonoo ooonoo
Apr '16

Maybe she did not now that it was a crime LOL...

Worms in Mcdonalds fries.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/not-so-happy-meal-woman-finds-worm-hackettstown-mcdonalds-fries

sack
Apr '16

As if the fries weren't gross enough.

Courtney
Apr '16

Great Job!

http://wrnjradio.com/rnj-news-department/2016/social-media-tips-help-catch-suspect-in-wallet-theft/

ooonoo ooonoo
Apr '16

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/04/accused_drug_dealer_nabbed_in.html#incart_river_home

well done
Apr '16

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/04/hackettstown_man_killed_in_newark_shooting_authori.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Yesman
Apr '16

Is there any additional information on the above news item?

Spence Spence
Apr '16

WRNJ covered this story then removed the article from their website. Vince Maltese was a Hackettstown Councilman in 2002.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/murder-suspect-found-dead-i-15-near-silverado-ranch-after-apparent-suicide

http://m.pe.com/articles/police-801163-maltese-vegas.html

honey badger honey badger
Apr '16

Yes he was. Remember him from Town Council..and he was the guy instrumental in getting the graffiti taken off the bridge..

pampurr pampurr
Apr '16

http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2016/05/accused_man_tells_officer_he_needs_to_finish_beer.html#incart_river_index

well done
May '16

http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2016/05/man_celebrates_prison_release_with_public_consumpt.html#incart_river_index

well done
May '16

Interesting stories. And I am sure the beer bottle and vodka bottle would be left there on the street. My observation is that fireball whiskey and Smirnoff are the favorites for drink drive toss your teeny bottle out car window into wetlands crowd. At least in this area. Hey maybe the company could have a commercial showing a mound of fireball whiskey bottles.

A good day
May '16

He was arrested at 11:30 AM and was celebrating his release earlier that afternoon. (huh)

My man Nick throws away vodka and my man Alexander wants to finish his beer.

Alcohol is a wonderful thing.

The Man The Man
May '16

"He was arrested at 11:30 AM and was celebrating his release earlier that afternoon. (huh)"

Yup, these writers are horrendous.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

@welldone

And how is a private parking lot belonging to a business 'public property'?

Even the sidewalk is really private property and belongs to the building outside of stores, houses etc.and must be maintained by the owner but it's really only a public right of way that an owner has to agree to the same way as utility easements.It occupies one of those ambiguous areas where it's part private and part public that you can walk through but yet you can't loiter and a cop can tell you to move along for this reason while he couldn't if you were just sitting in a public park.

And why would drinking any alcohol in public be illegal anyway as long as you're not violating any other laws like littering etc? There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to drink in a public park, is there?
Simple intoxication in public is not illegal either(the US Supreme Court ruled on this many years ago).Of course when cops want to annoy people they'll go to their old standby of "disorderly conduct' which is like a joke in court when judges hear it.

Prince Prince
May '16

Wasn't Maltese involved in getting all those houses up on the hill in Mount Olive also?

Christine Christine
May '16

Police in Hackettstown are searching for an alleged drug dealer who failed to appear in court.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/05/alleged_cocaine_dealer_sought.html

Gordon Smith of Hackettstown was sentenced yesterday in Warren County Criminal Court to 6 years in prison for aggravated sexual assault of a minor.

He is eligible for parole in 5 years and when released will be on lifetime parole and registered with Megan's Law.

This case has been going on since first disclosure was made in November of 2014. The sentencing follows Mr Smith's guilt plea entered in March of 2016.

Elizabeth79 Elizabeth79
May '16

6 years is too short of a sentence for such a disgusting crime

Metsman Metsman
May '16

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/05/police_seize_heroin_in_hackett.html

Not his first arrest for dealing heroin. http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2013/09/200_bags_of_heroin_found_at_home_washington_township_cops_say.html

Sounds like the cops are doing their job, the courts not so much.

Denis Denis
May '16

http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2016/05/father_accused_of_not_paying_nearly_42k_in_child_s.html#incart_river_index

well done
May '16

In cases like that, where the sums are pretty large, I always wonder if there is more to the story (egregious amounts stipulated by the court, terrible advice from a lawyer, unemployed or per-diem employment, maybe something else?) or if the guy is just that much of a prick...

Brendan Brendan
May '16

It could be something as simple as a post judgement modification that gets fought for a year in court - not hard to do with scheduling and parties requesting adjournments etc - he is unsuccessful in defending it and the judge orders an increase retroactively - boom massive debt. Couple that in with an illness or injury, unemployment over the course of the child's life - it adds up quick. Also you don't know 100% if it's all child support - it could be alimony in there too - it's enforced out of the same office

skippy skippy
May '16

Many guys just never pay.....it adds up over the years. I knew someone that owed $40,000, but when they wouldn't renew his license it forced him to take care of things. He eventually paid it off, but at that point the kids were grown and he was just paying the state back.

My niece and nephew's father owes about $15,000 (they are 9 and 5) and he refuses to pay or work on the books jobs. The one and only time he was arrested it was pointless because he was released not too long after and it didn't teach him a lesson at all. I understand how expensive child support can be and it can be tough making payments and still trying to live yourself, but at the same time, welcome to having children!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
May '16

http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2016/05/accused_drunken_man_tries_to_grab_gun_from_officer.html

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/05/post_19.html#incart_river_home

Old Gent Old Gent
May '16

You may want to avoid this guy, in case he's still cranky.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/06/assault_in_cellphone_agrument.html#incart_river_mobile_index

maja2 maja2
Jun '16

Vodka drinking in math class.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/06/hackettstown_teen_swigs_vodka.html#incart_river_index

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

Drinking in class, bong sales in the hallways. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I know it is no different than most schools. It's a shame no matter what school it's in.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '16

For us, it was Sambuca in study hall... but we weren't dumb enough to get caught. That's just wrong.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

We just went off campus......

Poor kid nailed for distribution; that's gonna be tough.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '16

And here I thought the spirit of choice in high school was peppermint schnapps before 1st period. You had a starlight during class so they thought it was just a candy smell. ;-)

Wow - Did I miss out on all the fun in high school by studying geometry, trigonometry, chemistry and physics...and, worse yet, liking it?

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

Danny, we're talking about the last week of your senior year... if you were still busy studying geometry, you were a little slow (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

ianimal - Just saying that our values have changed since I was in HS, not for the better, and there is no excuse for in-school drinking or drug use, both then or now. BTW, multi-dimensional geometry is still fascinating, especially in the context of Stephen Hawkins' string theory of the universe.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

In my day ianimal, it was the teachers drinking in the class room and smoking dope in the teachers lounge. Anyone from HHS would remember the "twins" and art class.
We didn't have to drink in class, we went to Schooley's Mtn Inn at lunch time and had our drinks, "drove" back to school and finished the day. No one committed suicide and no one od'd. In all my 4 yrs. I think there was only one death, kid got hit by a car. I laugh because oh stupid them, I cry because the same school I went to and my mom went to is known as Heroin High once again. I remember it was called that back in the nineties, then cleaned itself up. What has changed in the classroom and the school itself to go backwards again?

auntiel auntiel
Jun '16

auntiel - Heroin High? Holy sh:t! Guess I was lucky to have gone to a Bergen County HS in the late 60's. All we had was daily fist fights after class, and bullying was a prerequisite sport practiced by everyone. Rutgers, New Brunswick in 1968 - that was another story. When it was reported that MLK was shot, my sociology professor laughed, saying "You can't kill them", lit up a joint in class and passed it around.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

I got high with my junior year English Literature teacher. I was staying after school for make up work and we got talking and I missed the late bus (we had them back in the day...). She offered to drive me home (would never happen in this day and age!), and she pulled out a joint, lit it up and asked if I wanted any. I was 16, so of course I did. We got totally stoned and she said she smoked every day on her drive home. Never said a word about it to anyone until now, since that winter day in 1976! I also remember the teacher's lounge reeking of pot...billowing out of the room!

The kids at Hackettstown HS are no different than we were back in the 1960's and 70's, it's just the school and the police make a big tadoo about it all now. The biggest pot head of my graduating class is a millionaire now, showed up at our class reunion in a Maserati. They make it sound like if you smoke a little pot as a teenager you're going to end up in the gutter...jeez!

Heidi Heidi
Jun '16

Lol Heidi ! That's funny:) I agree and I think there are a lot more people than anyone realizes that still smoke pot! I thought that was just something many did as a teenager, but then outgrew!! Not so...I recently learned about 2 middle aged couples that still do it. One of them said they have done it daily for 30 years lol! It must not have caused any problems since the wife is the CEO of a company and the husband owns his own company. As far as the other couple, they raised 4 children and own 3 homes. The husband has a professional career and the wife was a homemaker.

Heidi - Pot is relatively harmless, but heroin? How many valedictorians do you know who are heroin addicts, or even recovering heroin addicts. I know of only a few, and they are all dead. Too tough to get off that sh;t. IMO, the police should do their best to curtail heroin traffic everywhere.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

Heroin High is the name applied by the people who already have an ax to grind. Check the stats. HHS is as normal as can be.

I spent English class my senior year at HHS at the Mansfield Inn when they had Go Go girls and it was packed by M&M shift workers. Great Times.

By the way - I make a S**t load of money and I grew up fine...Relax everyone - including nerdy Danny C. FYG I went to one of the top colleges in the nation and am doing fine despite sowing some oats when i was 18-22.

How about we decriminalize being a kid?

Heroin is never ok. But a lapse in judgement doesn't define you or a generation.

Near as I can tell, these kids expose themselves to a small fraction of the trouble we did in the 80's - and that's a good thing...Pushing limits is how they learn about life.

Grandson of the GAR
Jun '16

GAR, your words show what people dont want to hear. So don't be surprised you may have burst their bubble.

Well then Well then
Jun '16

GAR you are exactly right! We used to go home for "lunch" when I was in HS. Our "lunch" usually consisted of 6 or 7 of us piling into my friend Nancy's 1969 Pontiac Trans Am (sitting on laps and laying across the floor) driving 20 miles over the speed limit to my friend Sandy's house and smoking a few of her mom's unfiltered Lucky Strike cigarettes and slugging a bunch of her dad's Pabst Blue Ribbon beers (in hindsight...yuck!). Then, being late as usual, we would jump back in her car and speed back to school - screeching into the parking lot on 2 wheels! And we were considered the "good kids" haha!

Funny thing is, we are all still alive, none of us girls are smokers or alcoholics and we all have homes, businesses, families, etc.

The "jocks" (what we called the football players...) all had fake ID's (as if the bar owner didn't know they were all from the HS every day, lol!) and would go to the bar and pound a few and play pool and darts and come back to school half in the bag.

I actually feel bad for these kids of today. On one hand they are much safer and more controlled and watched -- but on the other hand they will never get the chance to do the crazy stuff the kids did back in the 60's through the 80's.

Heidi Heidi
Jun '16

DannyC - NOBODY on here is condoning heroin! That has nothing to do with smoking pot as a teenager, it is TOTALLY different than being a heroin addict. Come on man, how can you compare the two?

Heidi Heidi
Jun '16

This is what makes being a parent, difficult, especially in the teen years. I admit I did many stupid things also. The thing that has changed, is the value of life has diminished by having more willful killings today.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '16

I'm happy other's remember what teenagers are supposed to be. The teen years used to be the years of experimentation, risk taking, fun, and learning about life. We were expected to do stupid things, make mistakes, embarrass our parents, get into jams, experiment with stuff, break someone's heart/have our heart broken, come home drunk, cut class, etc.

My HS had indoor and outdoor smoking "lounges" for the students where cigarettes and pot were smoked, booze was consumed, couples made out, drug deals were made and the occasional "fist fight" was had. Yeah, some of my fellow classmates got caught doing some pretty "bad" things -- but the one thing I DON'T REMEMBER is the police being called, ever. Our principle would yell and scream and throw any "contraband" in the toilet/down the sink and call your parents. Fights were broken up and everyone was told to go back to class (or the nurse if you were the loser). Detentions/suspensions were rare and only in extreme cases and only after many repeated warnings, as a last resort, when the principal had finally had it up to his eyeballs with someone. Our class definitely did him in!

Our C wing bathroom was the go-to bathroom for when you couldn't get to the smoking lounge. You could get high just walking in there. Between the cigarette and pot smoke you could barely find your way to the stalls. All the teachers, the administration, the janitors and students all knew it, but nobody seemed to care. Those were the days!

Laurel Laurel
Jun '16

Heroin is a very seductive drug addicting with amazing speed. Unfortunately it's popularity comes and goes mostly since a large number of the takers tend to crash and burn.

We should decriminalize pot but the law is the law. It's just unfortunate that this poor kid who made a really bad decision is getting whacked with distribution on school property. I think there is a mandatory state imprisonment for this charge --- that's harsh.

My high school was very open and completing course work was important, attendance was not so much. We were more or less allowed to learn in any manner we wanted, there was a lot of self-paced courses. Many a day without pending tests I did not make it through the parking lot and instead spent the day sunning and funning on the cliffs over the river. It did take a toll on work ethics and during college years I had to work extremely hard to become a student again when the course work became more difficult. Still a partier, I had to learn to confine such activities outside those times I needed to be serious. Thank goodness I had some like-mined mentors who helped me learn the errors of youth in time to become a useful adult. Many of my peers were not so lucky.

Jun '16

I hate to say it but unfortunately heroin is everywhere...from the "hood" to Bergen County. We can't say that HHS is going down the tube because of the past two articles. Every HS has their share of drugs and kids who drink. When I was at HHS you saw people smoking pot, dealing drug right in the bathrooms and in the courtyard and I have seen it go down right in a classroom. Nothing new. It's just now with social media you are made aware of it more.

htownlifer htownlifer
Jun '16

auntiel, who were the "twins"?

Joe M Joe M
Jun '16

It was so long ago I don't remember their names. Two females with the Janis Joplin look going on. 70-71?

auntiel auntiel
Jun '16

Ok, thanks. That was a bit before my time. I was early 80s.

Joe M Joe M
Jun '16

http://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/s/fs735/hackettstown-man-killed-in-rt-206-motorcycle-crash
Condolences to family.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jun '16

Press Release(6/20/16) Robbery
On 6/19/16 at approx 10:30PM the Hackettstown Police responded to the 200 block of Sharp St for a report of a theft. Prior to the arrival of police, the two suspects fled the scene. When officers arrived on scene, the officers determined that a robbery occurred. The two male suspects knocked on the door and once the door was opened the suspects forced their way inside. The victim was kicked and received a facial injury. The victim was transported to Hackettstown Medical Center by the Hackettstown Rescue Squad. There were items stolen from the residence along with an undisclosed amount of money. The detective bureau is currently working on leads in this case. Assisting at the scene was the Hackettstown Detective Bureau, Mansfield Twp police, Independence Twp police and the Washington Twp (Morris County) police

Denis Denis
Jun '16

That's terrible. I wonder why there is no description of what they look like.
Is the 200 block 2 blocks in from Main Street?

happiest girl
Jun '16

If that resident had a gun......

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

How do you know the resident didn't ....................

happiest girl
Jun '16

I used to live on the 200th block of Sharp Street for about 2 years up until the middle of February. It is a mixed neighborhood of young families, older people, and other groups of people(a few doors down had a huge house of Hispanic men for the most part, although one incredibly nice man with a young daughter, across the street had college kids, etc.) A lot of foot traffic went by and for the most part I never saw this as an issue. Yes at night you would get the drunk college kids, but again never a major issue. I did have on a few occasions random strangers come behind my fenced in yard to see my landlords dog who barked at a variety of things, I also had strangers sit down on my front porch, which they would have had to walk up several stairs. I also saw a major drug sting 2 doors down one night. Now, with a very large 130 lb. Rottweiler who does not take kindly to strangers, I was truthfully not nervous about break-ins. However, this neighborhood overall was not bad, had a lot of friendly people that we got to know from walking our dog, and local to all of the stores on Main Street. Sadly though it also doesn't surprise me that this did occur. Hopefully they catch the people who did this quickly.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jun '16

happiest - If he/she did, someone would have a cap in their ass.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

That's quite a presumptuous statement you made, Calico.

happiest girl
Jun '16

it's only 'presumptuous' to those who are unprepared to defend themselves and their families,

for those who take precautions, and are prepared to defend themselves and their families it's not 'presumptuous' at all, it's a 'given'

take appropriate measures to be prepared to defend yourself and your family from this kind of strong arm attack. the cops will never be able to get there in time, you must be ready to do this yourself.

that's what calico is getting at. think about it.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '16

What a tragic invasion of privacy and security! I feel sorry for the victim.

These type of violent incidents have been happening more and more in this "safe" town. It's getting progressively worse and at a rapid rate. It could've been anyone one of us that this happened too.

Perhaps now all the residents that are in denial about the accelerating problems we face will actually remove their heads from their own backside and become prepared and more aware.

If the victim was a gun owner, I suppose it could've help stop or scare off the low life thieves. Perhaps he/she is and didn't answer the door prepared. All I know is if someone rings my bell at 10:30 PM, I wouldn't be answering the door empty handed, nor would I open it without knowing the identity of the visiter.

Not too worry ... If the liar/criminal Hilary becomes president, she'll restrict and/or confiscate all means of firearm protection and it will make it much easier for the low life scum to force their way into more homes and harm more innocent people.

Fortunately ... my family is prepared and if someone tried this on our home, it wouldn't work out well for them. My point, I hope people/ families start to prepare themselves so they can protect their love ones and the other property as they have the god given right too.

Maureen2
Jun '16

"All I know is if someone rings my bell at 10:30 PM, I wouldn't be answering the door empty handed, nor would I open it without knowing the identity of the visiter."

Yes, ma'am!

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

Ditto - some Winchester PDX would have the potential to be going down range in that circumstance

skippy skippy
Jun '16

BrotherDog -
Yes, her comment was presumptuous. Perhaps you don't know what it means.

happiest girl
Jun '16

@happiest girl "I wonder why there is no description of what they look like."
According to the HPD facebook page once more information becomes available it will be released. I guess the guy who got kicked in the face didn't see them?

Denis Denis
Jun '16

Must be hell at your house on Halloween if you're late........lol.

Jun '16

"I guess the guy who got kicked in the face didn't see them?" --- Denis

Sorry you're so bitter. Actually the police are pretty sure they know who it was -- so are in the process of apprehending them. That's why they are not releasing information.

happiest girl
Jun '16

@happiest girl, I was wondering the same thing you did earlier why didn't they release a description. Your comment "That's terrible. I wonder why there is no description of what they look like." How does that make me bitter, or what possible reason would I have to be bitter?? I'm not the victim. Reading your comments on various threads I think surely your choice of name must be intended as an antonym.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

Denis --
My apologies if I misunderstood you.
How does a "facial injury" equate to "not being able to see them". ?
That is what I thought you were saying.

I thought you were one of the "gunnies" who was implying that -------- if the person had a gun.... he/she would shoot them and therefore be able to "see" them.

My apoligies if I misinterpreted your post.

On a more positive note --- the singing of "What the World Needs Now....Is Love, Sweet Love" on Maya & Marty tonite was soothing and beautiful.

happiest girl
Jun '16

Under the circumstances, "Singing in the Rain" would be a more appropriate choice of tune...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnSx7q89y1g

Caution: clip is from an R-rated movie

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

happiest girl, yes my point was that clearly the victim had an up close and personal experience with the assailants and would be able to provide a description which still hasn't been forthcoming. I'm not a fan of the public being given piecemeal information, based on what they determine is a need to know basis. When there was the armed robbery at the gas station the last post I saw from the PD was "The suspect is described as a male and once more of a description is available it will be released." Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall that description ever being released?

Denis Denis
Jun '16

I explained why they are not giving a description 2 posts above.

happiest girl
Jun '16

I guess you have inside info, but I don't see how that justifies not giving out a description. It would seem to be more useful for the public to have a description before an arrest is made when the suspects are at large, than after the arrest, if it that indeed happens. As far as I know they never apprehended the gas station robber, and never gave out a description for him either.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

A good description, with a warning to NOT answer the door if you see these people would be the smart way to do it, in my opinion. I think the police should even post a drawing of the people involved so we know who to watch out/look for.

The police USED to say "Suspect is male, aprox 5' 7", short blonde hair in a buzz cut, tattoo of a dolphin on left arm. Suspect last seen getting in a blue mini van. Do not engage with this person and if you see someone who fits this description, please call the local police immediately."

Why not anymore?

Heidi Heidi
Jun '16

Sharp St is busy these days.

http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2016/06/driver_allegedly_shot_heroin_in_her_hand_before_ha.html#incart_river_index

Re: Hackettstown in the News 2016

It appears Hackettstown now has a K-9 Officer. Awesome!

From their Facebook page:

Mayor and Council unanimously approved the Hackettstown Police Department's new K-9 program, with its newest recruit Jada and handler Ptl. Christopher Laver.

Yes, and now we can get better crime-stopper info from the cops.

Jada, was the perp a boy or girl
grrrrrrrr
OK Jada, it's a girl, what did she look like
ruff, ruff
OK, a rough girl. Was she tall or short
down Jada, down
OK a rough looking tall girl

Jul '16

Where was she? Roof
Whose the greatest baseball player of all time? Roof
How's the country gonna be under Hillary ? Ruff :)

Beautiful animal I wish them lots of luck

skippy skippy
Jul '16

What's the point of the K-9? What are they used for?

If a cop stops some car and for some reason wants to search it and is not given permission do they call the dog? The dog then nods his head that he smells something and that gives them probable cause to search it? You can make a dog do anything you want.

Winston Smith Winston Smith
Jul '16

Usually the K9's are supported by donations. The officers usually invest a lot of their own time and money as well. K9 success --- yes, there's lots of it and very little on "make a dog do anything you want."

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2015/11/washington_township_k9_remembered_for_incredible_c.html

Jul '16

I love this news! Canine officers are a valuable assets to police departments everywhere. Welcome Jada and stay safe!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Mansfield Township police arrested three people and seized heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, marijuana and drug paraphernalia during a traffic stop Monday.

Andres Tirado-Flores, 40, of Allentown, driving a 2005 Honda Civic, at 10:14 a.m. was swerving and had an equipment violation while driving along Port Murray Road, police said.

While speaking with the occupants of the Honda, an officer became suspicious and requested back-up, as well as a Spanish-speaking officer from Hackettstown to the scene, according to police.

Following a search of the vehicle, police seized more than a kilogram of cocaine, 831 grams of ecstacy, 689 grams of heroin, under 50 grams of marijuana, scales, packaging materials, cutting agents and $2,450 in cash.

The approximate street value of the drugs was $160,000, according to police.

Charged were: Angel Velardo, 28, of Allentown; Tirado-Flores; and Laysa B. Cepeda, 35, of Allentown.

Verlardo is charged with three first-degree counts of possession with intent to distribute, three first-degree counts of conspiracy and related offenses.

Tirado-Flores is charged with three first degree counts of conspiracy to commit possession with intent to distribute and related offenses.

Cepeda is charged with three first-degree counts of conspiracy to commit possession with intent to distribute and related offenses.

Bail was set at $150,000 for Velardo; $50,000 for Tirado-Flores; and $50,000 for Cepeda. All were taken to the Warren county jail.

Jonesy Jonesy
Aug '16

Yes in Mansfield. It is not hackettstown news

Whoknows
Aug '16

Close enough. Mansfield is right next door so I'm pretty sure most people dont mind hearing about the local news.

The drugs were probably heading to Hackettstown! Great job, to the Mansfield PD!

Hot corner Hot corner
Aug '16

Whoknows/botheredbyuu2: no one else cares about strict border delineation. It's all part of our little town and neighborhood. One would have to have a really small mind and have no broader, global view not to realize that.

Huge kudos to Mansfield PD for getting this large haul off the streets.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '16

For those picky about borders. Here's the Warren County News thread. ;-)

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/729376

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

n 9/12/16 at approx 3:29PM the Hackettstown Police responded to the Hackettstown High School (701 Warren St) parking lot in reference to a suspicious persons complaint. When an officer arrived on location, the officer observed a school official in front of the vehicle and the vehicle then drove forward causing the school official to get on the hood of the vehicle. The officer approached the vehicle and the officer detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage and marijuana coming from inside the vehicle. Through an investigation it was determined that the individuals were going to the town pool and when they realized the pool was closed, they parked in the school parking lot. While the officer was speaking to the driver, who was identified as Daysy Castro-Alzate, 18, of Paterson, NJ, the officer detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage. A passenger in the vehicle, who was identified as Joel Cruz, 22, of Paterson, NJ, had in his possession a clear plastic bag containing suspected marijuana, hashish and multiple small clear plastic baggies. Also located inside the vehicle, was a bottle of Vodka and styrofoam cups with the odor of an alcoholic beverage.
Daysy was charged with DWI in a school zone, operating a motor vehicle who has consumed alcohol under the age of 21, possession of alcohol on school property, disorderly conduct and simple assault. Joel was charged with possession of more than 5 grams of hashish (4th degree) and possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana. Two other passengers in the vehicle Yusuf Ibrahim, 19, of Paterson NJ and Maria Santamaria, 19, of Clifton, NJ were both charged with possession of alcohol on school property and disorderly conduct. All four were released pending a court appearance.

Just curious I haven't been to the pool in about 15 years since my kids pediatrician once went into great detail about what they were swimming in after one of many ear infections. I notice driving past it, it's way more crowded in the summer now than it used to be. Has it always been open to non residents?

Denis Denis
Sep '16

Yes Denis, it was built with state money. Any NJ resident can swim in the Hackettstown pool.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '16

@auntiel, was it all state funded? It was built before I moved here.

Denis Denis
Sep '16

I don't remember for sure, but enough to make it a state community pool.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '16

Three from Patterson and one from Clifton, that is where most of the weekend customers at the pool come from! I am not kidding!

Deviljet
Sep '16

I too am wondering why a bunch of out-of-towners would come to H'town for the pool.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Drugs and alcohol attempted assault on a school official Monday on a school day...Looking to hang at the pool...There are many other issues there. Our children and community deserve better. Fill in the pool please

Icare Icare
Sep '16

I have to disagree here. Just because these pieces of garbage claim that they were going to the pool, we want to close the pool? What if they said they were going to church? I highly doubt they were going to the pool. We need to get this trash out of our community and I don't think closing the pool is the answer. The pool is closed now for the season. There is a drug problem here. Not only in our town. It's everywhere. We should focus on that problem alone. Why were these kids not at their own school? Could they be here for dealing? IDK, but I really don't think closing the pool will solve our drug problem. Maybe it will solve a few ear infections!

JB400 JB400
Sep '16

"Why were these kids not at their own school? "

What school? They are all 18 and over.

I agree that closing the pool is not the answer at all. Getting drug users and dealers off the streets is.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

JB400, I agree with your points. We seem to live in a world where all must suffer for the sins of a few. Not right.

maja2 maja2
Sep '16

I don't get why someone would drive all the way from Passaic County to use the Hackettstown pool.

skippy skippy
Sep '16

That's the point Skippy, they weren't there for the pool. I think if they had said "we are here to make a drug deal" to the cops, it wouldn't have gone over well.

JB400 JB400
Sep '16

I think the many small plastic bags kind of gives it away. Unless they were here to take water or soil samples or something.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '16

Maybe they knew someone or maybe someone said "meet me here." Pot, hash, baggies and alcohol; looked like small timers. And not smart ones to be drinking on the deal. Not exactly a crime wave on this one.

Sep '16

very true

skippy skippy
Sep '16

JB400 your speculation is ridiculous. Kids from Paterson don't come to Hackettstown to make drug deals, its the other way around. There are plenty of customers in Paterson, if you think they drove all the way from Paterson to sell a few small bags of weed, your living in the 50's. Since this posting I've talked t a few people who used go to the pool, and now won't go anywhere near it due to all the out of towner's, and drunken drama the goes on there. I've see quite a few Facebook posts stating the same thing. If you don't think people from Paterson go there then google hackettstown pool and then read the reviews.

Denis Denis
Sep '16

can anyone visit the pool or do you have to be a resident / member

skippy skippy
Sep '16

Anyone can. Weekdays it's $5.00 for non residents, $10 on the weekend.

Denis Denis
Sep '16

My husband works down in Fairfield, and a lot of his coworkers live down in Essex and Passaic County do come up here to utilize the pool. Because it is cheap and a lot of the towns have private pools where you need to join and the fee is high for them. This is why they come up here.

We can't turn them away because it is considered Greenland. However, how about if we could raise the price for out of towners, perhaps that could alleviate some of that.

just saying just saying
Sep '16

Only $5? No wonder it's so packed. You need to adjust the price to balance out supply and demand. Raise it to $10 and $15 and less people will show up.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

agreed Ian - we need to raise the price point until these problems stop.

skippy skippy
Sep '16

Tons of people from Paterson, NYC and other points east come to the pool every weekend! It is.a big deal to them, and fairly cheap
Most of them behave, but the 10 % or so that don't are a royal pain in the ass! No regard for the pool rules whatsoever! Take it from me, I work there and deal with it!

Deviljet
Sep '16

Just build a great, great wall..that should solve it.

Seriously though, I agree with JB400. The pool may have just been a landmark to make the drug deal outside of the pool or rather than them admitting they were intending to sell to underage kids on school property (serious offense) they came up with the lame excuse that they were going to the pool.

Do we know if they were wearing swim suits or had swim wear with them?

This is all just speculation of course....

positive positive
Sep '16

Yes positive some drug dealers from Patterson drove all the way here to sell marijuana in the High School parking lot to some under age kids. Lord know nobody can buy that in Warren county. If they were wearing swim wear no doubt it's part of the elaborate ruse they hatched to fool the fuzz. Yes it all makes sense now!

Denis Denis
Sep '16

Denis, drug dealers do run route 80 PA to newark area. Kids have phones and can Google pool hours. Most people know pools close after labor day. Maybe they were here for the pool. Maybe for a drug deal. Either way, they were caught with drugs.

maja2 maja2
Sep '16

Try to think outside of the box Denis. It could've been someone they know or even a relative that is a student in the school who has drummed up new business.

Haven't you ever watched 21Jump Street? Lol

positive positive
Sep '16

I googled the Hackettstown pool just now. According to the results, it's open but closing for the day soon because the hours are 11 AM to 9 PM. I guess there's not a season on the results. A pool still being open after Labor Day is not outlandish; some pools stay open until October.

Aquarius Aquarius
Sep '16

That's outside the box alright! Never did watch 21 jump st. but sounds more like an episode from the Dragnet tv show of the 60's.

maja2 No one is driving up from Patterson to sell a couple bags of weed. If they did the last place they would pick is a school parking lot.

On the bright side, all of a sudden I don't feel like I'm at the upper end of the age curve for the hackettstown life forum.

Denis Denis
Sep '16

Actual location TBD (Hackettstown or Mt. Olive in Warren County???)

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/10/04/new-jersey-couple-prostitution-ring/

Brock Lane is off Drakestown near the top of the mountain. Not Hackettstown or Warren county. Poor reporting.

***Note***. I looked on the map- I have never been to the house on Brock Lane ! LOL.

Lol. Are you sure Greg?
Saw the report on Ch 4 news last night. It's Morris County I think and it's Washington Township.Some do have a Hackettstown mailing address. Nice looking apartments. Hey, everyone has to make a living somehow.

Oct '16

The reason why it is illegal is the government hasn't figured out a way to tax it.

The Man The Man
Oct '16

I loved the line Back to her old tricks! LOL I know it's not funny with the kids but great line.

Natari Natari
Oct '16

No part of Mt Olive is in Warren County, that's why it's Mt Olive.

Botheredbyuu2 - They got the county wrong but not the township. Brock Lane is Mt Olive and not Washington Tsp. The border is right along that area though so it's pretty tricky without looking it up.

The Man - Tell that to Nevada, Canada, Holland, Belgium, New Zealand, etc etc etc

Canada, Holland, Belgium, New Zealand,

I don't believe any of these are in the US and Prostitution is NOT legal in all of Nevada.

The Man The Man
Oct '16

What a shame - http://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/waitress-hackettstown-steals-12k-cash-reports

trekster3- trekster3-
Oct '16

Another upstanding local citizen...

GC- got cha

THEMAN - you are so right

Oct '16

Stay off the roof if you have been drinking!

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/10/drunken_man_fell_from_roof_in.html#incart_river_index

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/11/teen_charged_with_weapon_posse.html#incart_2box_lvl-homepage-featured

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '16

Bright future ahead for tanis...

Press Release(12/1/16): 1 Robbery Suspect Caught And The Other Suspect Is Still On The Run.
On 6/19/16 at approx. 10:30PM the Hackettstown Police responded to the 200 block of Sharp St for a report of a robbery. Through an investigation it was determined that 20yro Kayla Rodriguez of Scranton, Pa forged a relationship with the victim in order to set him up so her boyfriend 20yro Frank L. Williams JR of Wilkes-Barre, PA could rob the victim. During the incident, Kayla Rodriguez entered the victim’s residence and checked the area prior to having Williams enter the home. Williams then forced his way into the residence, pushed the victim to the ground and punched the victim in the face. Williams then demanded the victim’s money. Franklin was charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, burglary, conspiracy to commit burglary and aggravated assault. Franklin was released pending a court appearance. He was released due to him being under 24hour medical care. Kayla is charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, burglary and conspiracy to commit burglary.
On 6/27/16 at approx. 11:05PM the Hackettstown Police responded to Marley’s Gotham Grill (169 Main St) in reference to a male that had been robbed. Through an Investigation it was determined 20yro Kayla C Rodriguez of Scranton, PA called the victim to help her with a car problem in municipal lot#3. While the victim was checking the engine area, the victim was approached by 20yro Franklin L Williams JR of Wilkes-Barre, PA, who was holding a gun to the victims back, and demanded his phone and cash. Franklin then demanded the victim to get into the vehicle but the victim broke free and ran away. Franklin took an AT&T cell phone (value: $250.00) and $800.00 in cash. Franklin was charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, attempted kidnapping, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a handgun. Franklin was released pending a court appearance. He was released due to him being under 24hour medical care. Kayla is charged with robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery.
Kayla’s total bail is $250,000.00. She is described as 20 year-old, white/hispanic female, 5’07, brown eyes, and brown hair. Her last known address is 711 Herbert St Bldg#23 Scranton, PA.
If anyone has any information on the whereabouts of Kayla Rodriguez, you are urged to contact the Hackettstown Police Department at 908-852-3300.
Assisting the Hackettstown Detective Bureau was the Warren County Prosecutors Office, New Jersey State Police, Scranton Police Department and the Wilkes-Barre City Police Department.

Denis Denis
Dec '16

Moving up!! Number 10!

http://patch.com/new-jersey/parsippany/100-drunkest-towns-new-jersey-your-community-here-0

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Dec '16

And Budd Lake at #98.

kb2755 kb2755
Dec '16

Under 24 hour medical care? Hopefully this guy gets into real estate soon...

More on recent car break-ins in Hackettstown.

http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2016/12/have_you_seen_this_man_hes_accused_of_breaking_int.html#incart_river_index

luvlife
Dec '16

http://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/s/fz3kv/hackettstown-woman-dumped-urine-on-floor-during-prostitution-arrest-report

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '16

That's a sick puppy!

Dec '16

such fine news here...

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.