Scam call

Received a prank call today from 347-349-5310, which according to Switchboard.com is based in Mineola, NY. Said something about a court case and I should call them - I am 99.9% sure this is a prank call and no intention of calling it as not aware of any legal actions pending ! Has anyone received a call from this number. I did report it.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Dec '15

On line sites say that's the "IRS" scam, not just a prank. The IRS doesn't call people, and any legal action like that would have to be in writing. So you know it's bogus from the start. Area code 347 is NYC and not Nassau County anyway.

Put it through the White Pages Reverse Lookup . Yep it's spam . The spam phone number in the supposed Battle Ground WA. on election day telling people the IRS was suing them could actually be googled to be verified as phony baloney it was so rampant . The do not call list is one of the most worthless wastes of government money ever .

http://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-347-349-5310

Zombo Zombo
Dec '15

Absolutely nuts ! http://consumerist.com/2016/02/11/diabolical-irs-phone-scammers-call-swat-team-tell-victim-theyre-there-to-collect/

I was called by scammers who said that they were from the "Treasury Department". They said that I was about to go to jail for three months while my IRS payments are being investigated. I have complete documentation on my IRS filings to refute this. Nasty MF'ers, who continued to threaten me with jail time. After the second call, I demanded that they stop calling me and said that I will report them as a scam. They appear to have backed off, having received no additional calls for ten days now. In my anger, I deleted their phone number from my answer machine, a mistake. But if they ever call me again, THEY are the ones who will be going to jail.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Next time any of you get these types of calls, use THEIR phone number if you want to visit a website, that requires a phone number, and you don't want to use you're own. Let their phone ring all day long. Not sure of the legality of this, as the whole world knows who you are just by your IP address on the computer. I've done it myself and it's nice to poke around the web, without a million sales calls.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Feb '16

sparksjbc1964 - The phone numbers are spoofed, what you see on the caller ID is not their number. In some cases where the number is actually in service, the people with that phone have gone through a living nightmare. And they aren't involved in the scam in any way. It's not only legally questionable, it's either just useless as an inactive number or plain just not right if it's real. I'd suggest just using something like 999-999-9999 or 908-555-1212 (operator assistance).

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.