HL pop up ads frustrating

Is anyone else having the repeated frustrating experience of loading up HL forum and selecting a topic, clicking, only to have the forum "jump" down due to slow loading ads at the top - and then, of course, you have opened the wrong topic, and so you go back to the forum, it loads the ad, think it's done and click, only to have it jump again and you've opened the wrong topic... LOL, maybe I am being too impatient, or a slow learner, but it's happened so many times - wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

pmnsk pmnsk
Nov '15

https://www.ghostery.com/

try this app with chrome

Skippy Skippy
Nov '15

Skippy

Will that same app work on Firefox or do you know of one that will?

My issue is when there are video ads in the block above the Classified block on the right. When the video starts playing and replaying it takes me from the bottom of the page up to where the ad is and will keep doing it.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '15

That's one thing that reading a book has over going on the internet ... no pop up ads.

Sometimes there is something to be said for the "good old days."

On radio and TV you have to wait for the ads to finish for the program to resume. Without "aggressive" advertising, we probably would not have good quality reporting, features with some substance, because the money, to pay people to do such jobs well, has to come from somewhere.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

I am trying to reproduce this issue but cannot. If I understand you correctly, you are clicking on a forum topic and then there is a delay is loading the ads causing the forum to jump to the bottom? Perhaps you internet provider service is slow and causing this? Do you see any slowness on other sites? When I click a topic, all seems to load pretty quick with no issues.

JB400 JB400
Nov '15

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

indeed

Skippy Skippy
Nov '15

In my case, it happens only when that ad is a video ad. Everything else loads, then while I'm at the bottom of the page and starting to read. the page will be hijacked by the ad and it jumps up to where the ad is. The only way I've found in the past to keep it from doing that is to hold the left mouse button down and keep it down while pulling the page bar on the side down to where I want it. If I let go it will jump back up there.

It hasn't been doing it this past week because the ads in that block haven't been video ads. My connection definitely isn't slow either, since I have nice broadband cable connection at home as well as good bandwidth at work.

Thanks for the link Skippy! I'll add it onto my FF just in case the video ads start up again.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '15

I have broadband cable, sometimes fast, sometimes slow - skippy, what aspects should I download? I see three options? - I appreciate the advice

JB400 - what you describe is exactly what is happening, and not just with video ads - not sure why, most things load quickly, but perhaps not as quickly as they should

pmnsk pmnsk
Nov '15

I block all ads and tracking

skippy skippy
Nov '15

I don't get any ads or video pop ups. Must be part of my virus software.

Christine Christine
Nov '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.