Front Loading Washer and Dryer

I've heard to many mixed reviews on these! I really would love any input on brands and experience with them.

Thanks in advance!!

80's fan 80's fan
Nov '15

I have a whirlpool front loading washer and I hate it. It smells and it takes forever to wash clothes and it does not use enough water to get things clean. The normal wash cycle is a minimum of 57 minutes. I have to use the extra rinse cycle as well so the clothes get clean adding even more time to the wash cycle. To add to the frustration, the clothes get tangled together so when you try to unload them from the washer half of them fall on the floor.

The machine also has a "Machine Wash" cycle which is used to wash the washing machine. Really?? That is a 54 minute cycle.

Jane123 Jane123
Nov '15

I'm with Jane, we have a front loading washing machine and it just doesn't clean as well as a top loader. It's impossible to soak anything and the cycles take a minimum of an hour. Whites just keep getting more and more dingy looking.

And like Jane...it seems to me that the clothes come out not smelling quite right...almost a musty smell? We've tried running a cycle without clothes and just with bleach and that doesn't seem to help.

JerryG JerryG
Nov '15

Hello. Have to agree. I have always had a Whirlpool washer & dryer and had no issues. Bought a WP front loading washer and dryer and totally agree. The normal cycle takes forever. The dryer seems to take a long time to dry as well. Mine is a gas dryer. If you close the washer door after washing clothes, you most certainly will have an odor in the washer. You can buy a product for the washer to clean it and run the cycle. Sorry to say not a fan.

Not a fan Not a fan
Nov '15

Got rid of mine last year for all the above reasons. Tried cleaning the rubber gasket on the inside of door (which collects water), but still got that awful mildew smell.

Clothes don't smell right and it doesn't clean the way the top loader does....needs to be 'cleaned' much more often and none of the loads come out well...not something I would purchase until things change

peacful wishes peacful wishes
Nov '15

I have an LG top loader that has no agitator so it's like a front loader. My only complaint is the long wash cycles. My clothes always come out clean and I like that if I drop something on the stairs or forgot to put an item in I can pause the machine and add it. I don't think you can do that with a front loader but I may be wrong.

jrsemom jrsemom
Nov '15

Re: Front Loading Washer and Dryer

I have this he top loader ,thought about front loader but read lots of reviews with same issues mentioned here.This seems to work good ,doesn't use much water ,clothes get cleaned ,normal cycle is about one hour .

briefly had the LG top loader - hated it and had the store let me return and replace it - turns out that - to get a higher energy savings grade - washer didn't use hot water - even at the hot setting - things came out musty and dirty - got a maytag - also without agitator - and it does a great job

5catmom 5catmom
Nov '15

Get a standard top load washing machine if you want your cloths clean, short wash times, and ability to soak clothes. I recommend Speed Queen washers. Heavy duty commercial washer made in America. We love ours. HE machines are crap.

NoHopeForHumanity NoHopeForHumanity
Nov '15

We love our front loader. Never had the problem of mildew buildup in the drum since we always keep the washer door open when not in use. We are able to add items after the cycle has begun.

The only negatives with ours are, like others have said, the long cycle times, and the dingy whites after a while. I figured it was because we had hard water. Since we are on septic, I don't use bleach that often.

The dryer screen kept clogging up when we first got it. That problem was solved once we switched from dryer sheets to liquid fabric softener.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '15

I have brand new front loading Samsung machines. I think they do a great job. They are large capacity, have many cycle options and clothes clean and smell fine. Always leave the washer open when not in use.

I had front loaders in my old house too and had no issues with those either. They were Kenmore.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Nov '15

what ever you do ...DO NOT BUY MAYTAG! they are no good any more. I even bought that platform to but them on. ($100 ) I bought front loader, lasted only about 3 years and the machine broke down, called repair and they charged me $200 and told me the part would be $300. I tossed it out, then found out that machine was recalled. I never was notified . Any way I went back to good old top loader from Sears and love it. Have it now about 6 years and no problems.

Another thing, you cant open it after it starts to wash, and you have to use less detergent or it will mess up the machine. Also had a musty smell after about 1 year. Good luck to you

Donnabelle57 Donnabelle57
Nov '15

I have the Whirlpool Duet machines that front load. I had Maytag top load before.

After 25 years of the Maytag I changed brand because the year before I had to purchase a new washer and a year and two weeks later it started smoking. Never had a problem with the old one like that. Plus, I was wheelchair bound for two months and a top loader was no good. I was able to get the clothes out of the front load dryer with no problem in a wheelchair though.

After a week with the Whirlpool washer the whole drum needed to be replaced. I agree with the above posts on the amount of time that the wash can take, unless you put it on the quick wash cycle. Never have had it smell as I also leave the door open until it drys after using it. I bought the stuff to use in the machine to prevent the smell but have never had to use it. I do have a problem with whites but I also had the same problem with the top loader and white. I have iron in my well water so I just bleach the whites every so often and hang all my clothes outside year round in sunny weather.

What I can't figure out is how energy saving models can be saving when the cycles are over an hour long, even on the dishwasher. That machine I put on a 1 hr. setting as it's the shortest time allowed. If any one knows how these machines are energy saving I'd like to hear how they are.

Magpie Magpie
Nov '15

They save energy about as good as the water saving toilets you flush three times!

Peggy C Peggy C
Nov '15

May Tag microwave handle graveyard. Since our microwave is over 5 years old, they don't make these handles anymore, so now we have dresser knobs on it! All junk!!!!!'

Peggy C Peggy C
Nov '15

In case anyone else deals with the constant microwave handle breakage issue.

Peggy C Peggy C
Nov '15

We love our Samsung front load. The wash cycles are slightly longer than our old top load but also there is more granular control of the cycles such as amount of soil, type of wash, and water temp. No special detergents and in fact I use whatever is on sale for $2.99 and less with no issues. I use a small clothes basket to transfer from washer to dryer with no clothes hitting the floor. I think if we buy again I might opt for the small storage stands that go under them but they are just a convenience and not needed. My whites are white, clothes smell great, no issues I can think of. The stainless steel drum is perforated and dries quickly, we almost never leave it open.

I've been buying Sears' Kenmore brand for years, and it's great.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '15

Wow Peggy that is SAD! Hard to find anything that is not is made-in-China, shoddy-quality junk these days.

My personal favorite brand for appliances is LG (Korean). Have never been disappointed in the quality. Also love the general overall design of their products, which is to me both ergonomic and sleek. LG everywhere in our home.

Would not get a front-loader machine, either, because they are much harder on clothes. If your wardrobe is made up of quality clothes you spend decent money on and plan to keep for years, avoid front loaders! They chew up beautiful fabrics.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

Maytag used to be very well made but now it is just junk. I prefer Samsung over LG, not that LG is terrible. All appliances today generally don't last more than a decade...

Thanks everyone. I'm really torn because the new place I may be moving to only has room for a stackable. I really don't want an apartment size stackable so I figured getting full size front loaders to stack would work. Now I'm scared!!

80's fan 80's fan
Nov '15

I strongly suggest a home warranty. With all of the high quality garbage these days, ours pays for itself every year. Ironically, our microwave went out again, about two weeks ago for about the third time. This time it was shorted out electrical wires. In the past, it has been the circuit board twice. Same thing for the stove and dishwasher. The ice maker never works, so we get ice from the 40 year old May Tag in the laundry room. Here's a picture of Old Faithful in the laundry room. Oh no, it's not stainless!!!

Peggy C Peggy C
Nov '15

@iJay - Samsung and LG - both Korean/equal quality. LG has better design and esthetics, though, IMO, which is why I prefer it.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

And if you really want to laugh your backside off today, here is our spare microwave we take out when our fancy one goes out! Out from the shelf in the laundry room, it comes out, and sits on the kitchen counter until the high class May Tag is fixed! Again!

Peggy C Peggy C
Nov '15

I hate my Maytag HE. Washed. Never gets the sports clothes clean and stink free without heavy wash extra rinse. I would take my energy burning water wasting traditional washer back in a heartbeat

Soooo me Soooo me
Nov '15

Using 15 gallons h20 vs. 50 gallons h20 sounds great. REALITY: Clothes are not as clean. Sometimes they feel stiff (not rinsed thoroughly enough? )
Top loader is better.

Funny lady Funny lady
Nov '15

This will be the best tip you'll get! Go to Colonial Appliances in Flanders and buy a Speed Queen. It is made in America and is a good old-fashioned machine (actually gets all the clothes wet). I love mine and everyone I've recommended it to is thrilled also. Silly to get so excited about a washing machine, but this is the best!!!!

Dee3303 Dee3303
Nov '15

I had bought a Sears Elite Oasis about 5 years ago,top loading, no agitator, had to replace my 25 years old machine from Sears. I love it. My cloths are lasting longer, and clean, drying time is less because they really get spun. All kinds of adjustments as to water temp and kind of clothing, I really love the gentle cycle, found I can wash stuff that I would have never dreamed was safe in a washing machine. Also ,found if you use one of those color grabbing sheets, everything can be washed together, given the capacity is so large everything goes in one load. Handles bulky comforters and even bed pillows. So happy, even having hard water issues.

Well now. And so I cursed myself by speaking out loud. The gasket on the 7 year old dishwasher has failed so we had a small flood in the kitchen yesterday. Since it will cost about $30.00 my husband will replace it unless we're wrong on the parts price. If so, we'll be calling our home warranty folks. Another incident for the I'll NEVER buy another Maytag. Ever.

Peggy C Peggy C
Nov '15

Question for Oakhill residents that live in the one bedroom loft syle home:

What kind of laundry do you have? I understand that only a stackable will fit in the closet in the kitchen but my realtor told me I can stack full size front loaders in there. Does anyone else do this?

house hunting house hunting
Dec '15

So now the Maytag refrigerator has one inch of ice under the vegetable drawers. Lovely!

Peggy C Peggy C
Dec '15

Maytag seems to have been degrading in quality and design for several years now. I bought a stackable LG washer and dryer two years ago, and had no problems yet. A bit more expensive (about $150 more for the pair, with the parts to stack them), but worth it in reliability. You do need 27 inches of closet depth, though.

DannyC DannyC
Dec '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.