Vegetarian Recipes

Althought I have countless cookbooks, I tend to make the same basic core of recipes over and over. I would love to know some of your favorite recipes.

happiest girl
Nov '15

I use lentils a lot. I'll make lentil soup or lentil tacos. I'll make butternut squash mac and cheese and add a can of white kidney beans to the blender with the rest of the ingredients. Quinoa cakes are good. Cook the quinoa and mix in finely chopped veggies and an egg and form into patties. Pan fry in the oil of your choice.

jrsemom jrsemom
Nov '15

Meat, Potatoes, and Gravy are my basics. Everything else is add on's .As low fat as possible. 95% of my food is prepared at home.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '15

Cavatelli and broccoli is very good and very easy to make.

positive positive
Nov '15

Re: Vegetarian Recipes

Tofu Surprise ( tofu fried rice ) I have this usually 4 times a week.

Cut up some peppers mushrooms and onion. Cube the tofu and coat with spices. Saute/fry in some olive oil and add rice.
I mix it up by using different peppers or mushrooms or onions. And a variety of spices. For a real kicking surprise I like to use Jamaican Hot Peppers.

I make a lot of vegetarian. My secret to taco's and burrito's using crumbles is to add 1/2 to a full jar of salsa plus a can of diced tomatoes. Add water as needed. Sometimes some water, sometimes not. Works well, no need to drain the fat and no shrinkage like beef.

Here's a more elegant one; secret is to use the broiler to get a little browning for that professional look and feel.

Ingredients

20 shells (about half a box)
1 24oz sauce
15 oz ricotta
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
2 tbsp. Fresh basil, chopped (I often use dried, less of course)
8 oz mushrooms, chopped
½ cup parmesan (2 oz)
Salt and Pepper to taste
½ cup mozzarella (4 oz.)

Cooking

Cook pasta, drain under cold water and cool
Pre-heat oven to 400
In bowl, mix ricotta, spinach, basil, mushrooms, ½ the parmesan, salt, pepper
Add sauce to 9x13 dish
Fill shells with spoon or piping device
Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining parmesan

Bake 10 to 12 minutes

Turn on broiler, broil for 2 – 5 minutes until just starting to brown

I tend to put all the parmesan in the mix and sometimes I just use oven for 12 – 17 minutes or a bit more and skip the broiling but the broiling is what really sets it apart.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Nov '15

Jrsemom , thanks for the lentil ideas. I just went out and bought an autumn lentil blend. I will start with lentil burgers. first attempt so I will hunt down a recipe and hope the blend works well in a burger.

Made veggie burgers last night. Recipe came from a recent WSJ. Uses Corn, quinoa, lentils, onions, chickpeas, cream cheese, an egg and some panko. Should be ready for tonight. I always have a hard time getting the moisture right so we'll see how they turn out. We try and go meatless once a week.

Two authors I've enjoyed are Yotam Ottolenghi and Nigel Slater. They have some very good veg stuff. Ottolenghi's mushroom ragout with yogurt flatbreads are to die for: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/21/yogurt-flatbreads-mushroom-ragout.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

The yogurt flatbreads looks great MeisterNJ. Do you make your own preserved lemon skin? Where would one find that?

This thread is great, we tend to eat a lot of meatless meals in summer, working around whatever is coming out of the garden, but at this time of year I needed the reminder.

hktownie hktownie
Nov '15

I did make my own. It's very easy, just takes a few weeks. Didn't have them the first time, so I just used lemon juice and peel for the ragout. The combination of everything has a wonderful flavor. Just has a great 'tang' to it that is addictive. The same ragout would go very well with pasta too. Been meaning to try that.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

I don't know what's in the recipe, but can recommend going to Uzma at Hackettstown Health Food and asking about the apple sausage pasta. They served that on the Thursday late night it was just outstanding.

I've come to love the taste of quinoa but not its price. I make it similar to couscous with a touch of olive oil, some roasted garlic, cardamon pods, etc. If there are some good buys out there on quinoa, I'd like to know.

I'll check the quinoa price at the co-op in Newton for you, GC.
All these recipes sound delicious !!

happiest girl
Nov '15

How about a lentil loaf? There are multiple recipes for it online. basically like a meatloaf but with lentils. Pretty delicious. I made one last week with a mushroom and pea risotto (made with veg stock) and caramelized brussel sprouts. Mmmmm good.

eperot eperot
Nov '15

eperot, I used to make a lentil loaf and the kids actually liked it but I wasn't a fan.

jrsemom jrsemom
Nov '15

Man, I was all ready to jump into that quinoa and lentil stuff until you harshed my mellow jrsemom :>) So far I have mostly been just dancing around the vegetarian edges or vegedgy without mainlining the strong stuff. I am going to try some homemade vege burgers or lentil loaf next, you all have convinced me. Recommended recipes would be nice.

Nov '15

lol strangerdanger, the lentil loaf wasn't bad. I could tolerate it. I think I'll try it again but change up the seasonings to give it a different flavor.

jrsemom jrsemom
Nov '15

I am looking over the recipes for lentil burgers and loafs. I will get the basic ideas from the various recipes and make my own. I really don't have some of the stuff mentioned in the recipes. In fact I have yet to find even one recipe that I have all of the ingredients called for. But I am getting a general gist. Lentils , some kind of binder , spices and whatever else , mushrooms etc. Use what I have and see how it goes.

Sounds good; I often do a four recipe merge and even then adapt to taste. Right now I am doing beef-stew-that-tastes-better-than-stew but that's another thread :>)

Forgot to mention in my taco's above sometimes I add about 1/3 refried (no fat) or some pinto's. And continuing on with tex mex vegedy..... a crowd and kid favorite: vege quesadilla's

Ingredients
1 can diced tomatoes (fire roasted is best), 1 can kernel corn --- drained
1 can drained, rinsed canned black beans
half bunch chopped fresh cilantro (1/3 cup or more, I use much more)
1 tsp. lime juice (lemon in a pinch)
touch of chopped onion, around 1/3 cup
¼ tsp. garlic salt, ground red pepper
a bag or more of shredded Taco mix or Monterey Jack cheese (about 2 cups)
8-10 flour tortillas (the big ones)
Tabasco Fire Roasted Chipotle or other hot sauce or sauce just to taste (optional)

Need container with top to hold everything
Chop cilantro, onion. Put corn, beans, and even tomatoes in colander separately to rinse/drain before putting in container.  Mix everything except tortilla/cheese in container after draining/rinsing and lightly shake it up. Don't make more juice. Juice is the enemy. So don't shake too hard.  Use a slotted spoon to serve.

Oil the pan (just a thin coating).  Like pancakes, just once seems to do it.

Spread tortilla out on cutting board. Add cheese to half the tortilla being sure to have a ring of cheese around the edges of the half.  Put some mix in the middle of the cheese leaving a ring of cheese on the edges so that it "glues" the tortilla together when folded and cooked.  Sometimes I add some cheese on top of the mix depending on how much money I have, kids eating, etc..  “Gluing" and having a dry mix are important when you remove the quesadilla and cut it up.

Picky kids equals more cheese to the point of it being a grilled cheese if you want :>)

Fold tortilla over the mix to create a half moon over the cheese/mix you just put on the lower half.  Heat pan and put tortilla in, being careful not to spill.  I make two tortillas at a time in the pan, each taking half the space but I have a very big pan.

Flip carefully so as not to spill, the tortilla should be lightly browned if you oiled the pan right.  Cook the second side, take out, should be glued together now.  Cut into 3 or 4 pie-like slices.  Add taco sauce or eat plain.

I make em all up since kids just grab, nuke and go from the fridge. You can use leftover mix as a side or salad or even in in eggs....  Just be sure to drain, it gets more liquid over time as tomatoes break down.

Nov '15

Here's the vege burgers I made last night (well, started the night before, long prep). They came out really good. It's the recipe for the NoMad bar burger:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/wheres-the-beet-veggie-burgers-even-carnivores-will-crave-1445371914

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '15

If you haven't had Uzma's lasagna - you're all missing something fabulous!

She sometimes has it frozen too - and will probably make it if you ask.

I know there's tofu and it's very cheesy - but OMG, whatever her secret is - it's addictive!!

I'm *SO* happy today after getting some soup at Hackettstown Health Food. I have been absolutely promised that tomorrow they will have that apple sausage pasta they had on late night Thursday. YEAH!!! It was so good, and they even have cooking classes that include that pasta dish.

Big Time Yum.

GC - It's vegetarian sausage?

happiest girl
Nov '15

happiest girl - Vegan. It's made out of apples.

GC - does she have it for lunch time? Eat in, or can you take out?

happiest girl
Nov '15

happiest girl - If you're vegetarian, and definitely if vegan, you really need to visit the health food store. They have a couple of items per day in warming dishes all day long. It's a health food store so not really an eat in kind of place although I'm sure they would be happy for the company. It's really made for take out. Besides the pre-made dishes, sandwiches, etc. you can buy any of the items needed. They also have a full juice bar.

Thanks GC. I went in when they first opened but since I do my vegetarian shopping at the co-op in Newton I haven't revisited Uzma's store. Now that I know she has hot food to go --- I guess I will be there as a regular!
I didn't forget about pricing the quinoa for you at the Newton health food store -- I might be there next week!
:-)

happiest girl
Nov '15

As promised!!

Thanks GC for sharing your wonderful thoughts about my store ,and I am glade you like the pasta,and shared a picture as well. you deserve a free dish now,please stop by soon and we will happy to give you one of our best soup or sandwich whatever you like.I appreciate you all for wonderful comments ,thanks.

uzma kazmi uzma kazmi
Nov '15

That looks yummy, GC.
And now with Uzma's offer, you must be doing a happy dance!

happiest girl
Nov '15

check out recipe blogs like OhSheGlows and the like

inverrary inverrary
Nov '15

I am enjoying a most delicious homemade vegetable lasagna made by SueR. Not sure of all the ingredients but Jamaican hot peppers are used to give the veggie lasagna a kick.

GC -
The co-op has organic quinoa for $8.01 lb. (non-member price) and organic black quinoa for $6.86 lb. Non-members who shop on Tuesdays get 10% off their bill.
So that brings it down to $7.20 and $6.18.

happiest girl
Nov '15

Thanks for thinking of me. The co-op is something I'd gladly join if I knew I would get there once in a while and had enough items I would buy. Still, even if a decent price quinoa is not cheap no matter where you go. That's well above good steak price, luxury territory.

GC -- you don't have to join the co-op to buy there. Members prices are just less than public. You can get the above mentioned prices on Tuesday as a non-member.
You should go sometime to see what they have. If you use spices their collection is admirable --- and so much less than buying in a supermarket. (bulk -- you buy the amount you want ............same for the quinoa, grains, flour, etc)
Nice cheese & dairy section, and the amount of grocery shelf items is nothing short of staggering.

happiest girl
Nov '15

I understand how it works, it's just I'm not sure I would go often enough to make up for the difference in price. I have access to spices from my job that's much cheaper and more extensive so that wouldn't be much of a help. I know it's a good store but just would probably only buy infrequently.

Not sure if you understand how it works --- for a non-member, it is just a "store" ..... like going to the health food store on Main St Hackettstown, or going to shoprite.
You can go once and never go again if you so choose. It costs *nothing* to shop there as a non-member.
If you are passing thru Newton, you should check it out!

happiest girl
Nov '15

happiest girl - Like I said, I understand exactly how it works. I've gone to other co-ops as both member and non-member. I don't often get to Newton and usually can't stay long so it's not so easy which is part of the issue.

ok GC -- just wanted to make sure you understood you could shop there without any extra cost to you.
Happy Thanksgiving.

happiest girl
Nov '15

I made my lentil burgers today. Used the autumn blend lentils and couscous. Just cook and mix together added a steakhouse seasoning. 10 minutes in the freezer to cool and firm. Then crisp up on the Foreman grill. They came out very tasty. Served with a 7 grain/corn/pepper side and a few Full Pint Gus IPAs ( a terrific 100+ IBU beer!!!!! )

In a large bowl, combine watermelon, cucumbers, olive oil, red wine vinegar, sea salt, and pepper; toss to combine. Divide between salad plates and garnish evenly with crumbled feta and mint leaves.

Ingredients

6 c. diced watermelon
3 Persian Cucumbers
3 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. pepper
¼ c. Crumbled feta
¼ c. mint leaves

Light, juicy, and amazingly refreshing - not vegan but I enjoy

Skippy Skippy
Nov '15

A very accurate and informative video about being a vegetarian or vegan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvdf6e8birI

I made a wonderful Lasagna a few weeks ago --- I grilled some different vegetables --
sliced eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, and layered them with spinach, tomatoes, and lots of chopped parsley and oregano. Put some ricotta and mozzerella and muenster cheese between. Came out delicious !!

happiest girl
May '16

happiest - You lost me at Muenster. LOL

Everything else sounded great. But as an Italian, Muenster has no place in lasagna. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

hg, were there pasta noodles in there as well, or was it more of a baked ratatouille?

ianimal ianimal
May '16

ianimal-
no pasta.

calico-
You must try adding some muenster with mozzerella in baked dishes. My mom's baked macaroni (tomato sauce, not milk sauce) is the best anywhere. She always uses a mozzerella/muenster mix. She was told this recipe by her Italian neighbor 50 years ago! Use the soft kind -- shoprite sells it in these long rectangular packages.
Cut both cheeses in VERY small cubes and mix together.

happiest girl
May '16

Here is a good looking vegan pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MpL1KfYEJg

I love making vegetarian chili. I use basically the same recipe as beef chili, but LightLife has a tofu product that is made to look and act like ground beef. They even have a Mexican flavor version that you can use for tacos, but I like it for this purpose. Every time I use this product no one can believe it's tofu and not ground beef. It's in the tofu section of the produce department in supermarkets.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Nov '17

honestyseasy...... I use the Lightlife " ground beef" in my empanadas.... no one is the wiser..

dismom dismom
Nov '17

I find if I add a half jar of salsa, any crumbles tend to work well for chili, tacos or burritos. Without the salsa, I think it does not compare well with beef.

Here's another one, try sautéing a lot of rough diced, peppers n onions, to translucent, not browned. Rough diced means pretty chunky pieces --- you want the texture. Can't have too many. Add pasta sauce and one can of sliced/cubed black olives (quarters). That's it. I swear the olives don't taste like olives but feel like beef.

Nov '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.