Spam in classifieds

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/classifieds/32041

This same picture was used a while back by a spammer, so I'm certain it's bogus. Mods - can you please remove it? Thanks.

OT - there's never been a good way that I know of to contact a moderator, other than directly (no response last time I tried). Is there a "proper" way to address the moderators on the forum?

justintime justintime
Nov '15

They have been posting for months now on the auto classified section.. They post on every site.. It'd impossible to stop it all unless you constantly are checking every add that is put up.. Praise to you the owner for doing a great job with this site.. Has helped me buy and sell several items and keep me up to date on my home town.. Keep up the good work!!!

Driver247 Driver247
Nov '15

This sounds legit. http://www.hackettstownlife.com/classifieds/35740 and http://www.hackettstownlife.com/classifieds/35720

not sack
Jul '16

There are at least 4 on going scams that have appeared - the 'Yorkie Teacups', false cars for sale, the ridiculous money lenders, and even false houses for rent. Those are all over the internet, not just here. They come out of no where, including hacked ID's, so it's hard to just ban a location. Of late the money lenders have been horribly aggressive.

Usually it just takes a while before they disappear from the classifieds. But if not, posting them here like this seems to have removed all the ones mentioned. ;-)

Thanks GC. I find it odd that they are allowed to post a scam but my nonsense gets removed.

not sack
Jul '16

How about the local merchant who has been advertising his "Store Closing Soon" sale on the HL classifieds for well over a year now. Does that qualify?

JerryG JerryG
Jul '16

JerryG, I do know that the owners of that store are indeed closing. They are getting out of the business and are moving but I guess they just need to get rid of a lot of stuff before they can.

I don't know what the laws are as far as how long you can run a going out of bus. sale, but I do know they are not scamming.

littlelu littlelu
Jul '16

JerryG I'm not sure if you and littlelu mean the antique and collectibles dealer, but if so I do know they were trying to get as much sold before the house it's in went up for sale. I bought a few things there - great deals too, but sadly he still had a lot to get rid of. I'd hate to deal with the headache of packing it all up and moving and/or storing it.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

I found 2 rental scams in the classifieds this week. One is the 3/3 for $700 a month and the other looks like it was pulled. Same person. Beware !!

Whoknows
Aug '16

Yup the person is claiming to be the owner of 88 Watch Hill and is asking to rent it out for $700 a month including rentals. No one in hell would anyone rent out a house that is worth over 300K for $700 a month. This happens all the the time on here. Before we moved back there was one listing like this over in Mount Olive. They go through all houses in the area that were listed before and take those photos and post them as their own. They ask the potential renter to send them money to pay for first month and tell them they will mail the keys. They even tell the people to go look in the windows.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Aug '16

It's worse in Craigslist! Beware they are huge scammers.

iChristine iChristine
Aug '16

The last time we got some of the phantom rental scams was quite a while ago. Of all the recurring ones, they sometimes are the toughest to know for sure. They don't always have area codes from far away like both the 'Teacup Yorkie' types or the phantom cars for sale. Both of those type are also easy to tell because a quick Google on it shows the same pets or cars for sale all over the country all claiming to be local.

These two ads disappeared pretty quickly - I barely got a look at the 3/3 one and the other was off so quick I never even got to check it. Something at Watch Hill I would immediately have known being in my neighborhood. That rental price would be in the $2700 range instead of $700.

The pet scams haven't happened in a while either, but the house rentals were even longer. There was a time right after that when the phantom cars were at least once a month, probably about a year ago and haven't had much of that since then.

By far today it's all the loans to anyone for any reason for any amount. These things are happening 10 a day, usually two at a time. They used to do this a while back as well, just not much more than once ever other week. They've realized they're getting deleted, they check, and put them back up. They've been so aggressive they've put them not only in the Classifieds, but the main Forum and even tried the calendar once. No other scam has had so many posts so often for so long.

By all means keep speaking up, these things need to be deleted sooner rather than later.

Every apartment I have inquired about within the last three weeksfr Hackettstown life have all been scams. I am very disappointed that this site doesn’t verify the places or things are real before allowing them to be posted.

Twila Eglinton Twila Eglinton
May '19

taxi services from Canada also kind of ridiculous

herman
May '19

Yes most apts on HL are scams. I brought that up in a different thread last month.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.