HHS - Warren Hills 90th Anniversary game Nov 6 - and TRAFFIC ALERT

I have seen advertisements for a large celebration on Friday night November 6th for the 90th anniversary of Hackettstown vs Warren Hills. This will be before and during the Tiger home game.

Anyone that has played football or has cheered for either team, at any time, is invited to the event.

Seems like it is going to be a very large turnout.

Does anyone know if there is a plan to direct traffic in and around the school that night? Traffic during regular home games gets rather crazy and adding hundreds of more vehicles to the town that night will put pressure on the side streets of our small town.

We live very close to the school so I am concerned about gridlock in the town that night.

Looks like a great event with a lot of planning just wondering if anyone has any information about how they will handle traffic flow, parking, etc.

Hack in Town Hack in Town
Oct '15

How can it be a 90th anniversary game if Warren Hills has only been around 47 years?

Lamppost Lamppost
Oct '15

I believe the team started out as Washington then became Warren Hills. Since it says Washington- Warren Hills.

Oct '15

Lighten up. This is a wonderful opportunity for the past and present members of both schools.if you live near the school you knew what to expect. Let's turn this into a positive situation. I can't imagine gridlock could be they severe.

TigerFriend
Oct '15

Washington High School became Warren Hills Regional and kept the colors and Blue Streaks name.

The change to Warren Hills Regional marked somewhat of a turning point. Hackettstown had the best of it before the change and Warren Hills, now a bigger district, has won the majority of the games since.

There was a 12-game WH winning streak in which people were starting to wonder if the rivalry should continue, the Hills won by some big scores, but coaches Art Piancone and Tony Villante restored the roar (at least in this particular game) and Hackettstown won a few and pulled up even again.

It's a much more evenly contested rivalry, results wise, than Easton-P'burg, where it would take many years for Pburg to catch up.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

No one said it wasn't positive TigerFriend. Was just inquiring about the plans since safety is very important at any happy event.

Thank you for the history Andy!

Oct '15

So glad that you posted this, bc now we can go..Happy too that the game will be played in Hackettstown!

The traffic could be difficult during this event. I am planning to wall to the game from my house to make room for out of town visitors. Going to be a really fun time!

Happy in town Happy in town
Oct '15

There are still tickets available for the post game event at the Legion. If interested go to the the Hackettstown Warren Hills page on facebook to buy them. You will need a ticket to get into that event and must be 21 years of age to attend.

Magpie Magpie
Oct '15

Any idea how many people are expected?

Benn4 Benn4
Nov '15

https://www.facebook.com/hackettstownpd/posts/977600108962921:0

Happy in town Happy in town
Nov '15

Thanks Happy. This is the type of information I was looking for originally.

Seems the HPD thinks it may be severe enough to address.

Benn4- I have heard they are expecting up to 3000 people.

Will be a fun night!

Nov '15

Where would the best place to pick my son up after the game since so many cars /traffic ?

Missrx Missrx
Nov '15

If he can walk to the Hackettstown Middle School, that might be far enough away from the event. At least it would be avoiding being on Warren Street. If he has other friends at the event maybe they could car pool and reduce the number of cars in the area.

HHS Tiger 4 Life HHS Tiger 4 Life
Nov '15

The cops always do a good job of directing traffic after the Tigers' games ... I'm sure they'll be out there full force.

Before Camden Yards was built, the Orioles played World Series games, attended by over 50,000 people, in a neighborhood not much different than that part of Hackettstown ... it takes some time and patience, but the cars will all eventually move and get on their way.

If your team wins, it's all part of the fun experience (-; I'll never forget the sound of thousands of car horns celebrating victory in the World Series --- it will stay with me forever.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

My husband and I used to park in the lot of the First Presbyterian Church-the lot is on the Washington Street side of the church. Short walk to the stadium, but far enough away to be able to get out fairly easily too.

summerrain1 summerrain1
Nov '15

They have had big crowds before! In 1982 the Tigers won a state championship at home, huge crowd! It all worked out.

deviljet
Nov '15

I live on Mitchell/Arthur. He could walk to the path at the high school on Arthur terrace and you can pick him up there. That's my plan with my high schooler.

Njchia Njchia
Nov '15

According to the records I have, Hackettstown had its 14th and last undefeated and untied regular season in 1982, but won its 19th and last state championship in 1981.

Sorry.

That 1982 game in H-town with the big crowd may have been the one that assured the conference championship that year.

Oddly enough, Hackettstown has fewer conference championships than state championships.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

What are the gate fees to get in to the game?

Planning ahead
Nov '15

Anyone know what time the gates open???

gates open 5:30pm

gameinfo gameinfo
Nov '15

The cost for an adult (I think) is $4.00. Should be a great time!

HHS Tiger 4 Life HHS Tiger 4 Life
Nov '15

One suggestion I'd make is --- the winning team should be able to triumphantly carry the Beater Board off the field after the game.

The way it has been, the score has been painted onto the board and it has been presented the following Tuesday to the winning coach, at a joint meeting of the Rotary Clubs of the two communities. And that's fine --- keep doing that.

But, let the winning team carry it off the field --- adds something to the spirit of it --- and then paint the score on it.

But, I'm a senior citizen --- what do I know?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

i will be apart of this form what i was told 3,000 people maybe attending it should be a great night.

What time is the game starting? If the gates are opening at 530?

Firstworldproblems Firstworldproblems
Nov '15

All I have to say is don't be one of the idiots to park in the apartment parking lots near the field. Park at the high school and on Warren St.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '15

Kickoff is scheduled for 7, got a feeling this one will be an early-arriving crowd.

Sky divers bringing in the game ball!

I remember the Phillies Phanatic doing that at Veterans' Stadium.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Please keep us updated and post a final score for all of us who cant make the game. Thanks.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Nov '15

http://lightningstream.surfernetwork.com/media/player/MobileWeb/index.asp?call=WRNJ

Moon shadow
Nov '15

One question.. why was the band and color guard not included? Back in the day,they were all about the football team ,and not like today just interested in winning awards! Im disappointed they were not included! They should have been!

Browning
Nov '15

14-7 hill's less than 2 min left

Dadof3
Nov '15

14-7 hills final

Dadof3
Nov '15

Thanks for the update and final score.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Nov '15

Player of the game awards --

Hackettstown -- Joe Renne for offense, JJ Carrara for defense.

Warren Hills -- Shane Deemer for offense, Kurt Nemeth for defense.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

That was probably a huge disappointment to the kids and parents. 150 kids plus two friends, parents, etc. Any reason?

dsl102927 dsl102927
Nov '15

With a 4-5 record,who will the Tigers play in the playoffs?At least we have a chance to be at 500 for the season!

Skydiver coming in for landing!

http://wrnjradio.com/community-news/2015/video-skydiver-landing-at-the-90th-anniversary-of-hackettstown-tigers-vs-warren-hills-blue-streaks-football-game/

ooonoo ooonoo
Nov '15

Hackettstown will play either Rutherford or Hanover Park in the state playoffs probably Friday night, Hackettstown will be either a 6th or 7th seed for the Playoffs

big sports fan big sports fan
Nov '15

Well, we know what Hanover Park's all about.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

.....A few years ago.....Hackettstown beat WH.....WH had a 500 season....and WH made the Playoffs ....because they EARNED it with Power Points......ended up in the Finals before coming up short versus West Morris at Rutgers Stadium. Hackettstown has EARNED it LoBo......The Power Points ....and Andy.....what is HP all about???? LoBo......They are high school kids.....let them enjoy the experience as Warren Hills did a few years ago with a 500 record..........Go Tigers!!

maxsky maxsky
Nov '15

Andy, what is Hanover Park all about? I went to school there.....curious about what I must be all about!

summerrain1 summerrain1
Nov '15

Agree with maxsky. Let them enjoy the experience. First time in the playoffs for the seniors. Injuries are part of the game and all teams have to deal with them but they have really hit the Tigers this season. When you look at how many (quite a few starters) who have missed games or are out for the season it is a big deal that they were able to stick together and earn a playoff spot. Many times injuries can cause the downfall of a team but they still keep plugging along. Good luck and regardless of who the opponent is go out and keep fighting. Go Tigers

Citrusfire Citrusfire
Nov '15

State Playoff Hackettstown #8 at Lenape Valley #1 Friday night 700 pm at Stanhope

big sports fan big sports fan
Nov '15

Hanover Park is all about no-huddle offense, playing fast out of the shotgun formation, beating you on the edges, receivers averaging double digit yards per reception ...

guess I should have specified we know what Hanover Park FOOTBALL is all about...

what, we were talking chess, the marching band, the debate team?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

The Tigers stayed in the game with Lenape Valley last time they played.

H-town did not match up well with high octane Hanover Park, so that's not bad "luck of the draw" considering they are an eight seed.

Those people who were crying the blues about the Tigers' triple-option offense, have you seen Navy play recently?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

It's actually nice that both WH and Hackettstown end up in the playoffs after this. Make the most of the opportunity!

As an aside...the really exciting game to be at on Friday was the 40th Milk Can. :)

I often wonder why these wonderful rivalry games are not played on Thanksgiving Day anymore.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

HHS's defense was great against the strength of WH. Must be the change up in personnel on the Backs.

Tiger Fan Family
Nov '15

Rumor has it that both schools looking to move this to a 2 year home and away trial Thanksgiving Day Game. Should be interesting!

Moe Greene
Nov '15

Yes have seen Navy ,an Army, run the triple option,they play 500 ball also !

Hoping that rumor is true. I remember those old rivalry games, especially the pranks.
I am guessing the pranks would need to be eliminated in this day and age though...

Andy, I am hoping you know the answer to this question...which two teams had a yearly passing of the winning coach's sneaker being passed to the loosing coach for a one year stay on his desk at school? Was that a football or basketball rite of passage and which two teams??

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Nov '15

LoBo (loved your hit song Me and You and a Dog Named Boo) ...

Navy is 7-1 this year, just gave 8-1 Memphis its first loss, 45-20, on the road no less.

They're doing great this year.

That sneaker thing must be basketball --- sounds weird. Never heard of that one before.

I'd guess Duke and North Carolina? Just because that's probably the most intense college hoops rivalry out there.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

LoBo,

Navy is 7-1 and ranked # 22.

BeerFan
Nov '15

The issue is that triple option is a system for specific type of athlete. A college program can run a system and recruit the athletes they feel will provide best opportunity to run efficiently. At the HS level it's tough to run a system like that which is why so few HS do it. when you can't control the type of athletes you have to work with its tough to teach it and be successful. The issue is that in 3 years running the triple op there have been 7 injuries at QB at HHS- not a typo 7. Forcing a system not catered to the type of athlete you have to work with and the unwillingness to change or implement some diversity is what the issue is.

Luca Brasi
Nov '15

The Tigers have some running backs who are tough to bring down, have the ability to shake off tacklers and quickly turn up field for big gains.

There could be many factors that lead to injuries, they happen to teams that run the spread, and Wing-T, and veer, too.

Football is a game with injury risk, period.

Teams that throw the ball a lot have more wide receiver injuries, and quarterbacks who stand in the pocket get injuries, too, when the pass rush gets to them.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

The Fat Lady is about to sing after this Playoff game

The God Father The God Father
Nov '15

Army runs the triple option also, there 2-7,between Navy and Army, thats 500 ball !

I think Army might make the NJSIAA playoffs, lol

ianimal ianimal
Nov '15

LoBo,

Then let's assume besides Army and Navy, all other teams use a conventional offense. If you combine all their records, guess what? .500 winning percentage. Your logic is comical!

BeerFan
Nov '15

Unconventional offenses usually work in high school (if they have athletes) because the opposition does not know how to defend against them.

Ever watch Del Val play? They throw everything at you, even the kitchen sink.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Your right Andy,Del Val offense is hard to defend, that is the point ! Be creative, Tigers have talent,but it is not being used correctly.Well next year looks like it will be a pretty easy division,with the new changes. I guess all comments will be positive, when they are winning.

Talking in general terms here, but you do need a structure, a framework.

From there, during a game, you want to be flexible enough to take advantage of a poor defender (they are out there in high school games, nobody has 11 All-Americans on the field) and if something opens up. I'm kinda fond of play-action passes, myself. Unitas (my idol as a kid) always said "take what the defense gives you."

Tony Villante was the "bad guy" on these boards a few years back, but you've got to give him this ---- he preferred the "smash mouth" run it down your throat type of game, but he adjusted, went to clinics, and started using the spread because it suited the personnel, because he didn't have any monsters out there.

This program won't go anywhere if you keep firing coaches --- West Morris has had Kevin Hennelly for two decades. In the Sept. 10 Observer-Tribune, my headline for a story about West Morris was 'Wing-T and a Prayer.'

That's all they do, and they have been very, very successful. They hardly ever turn the ball over, they throw when the defense least expects it, and they have winning records year after year. When they have a horse like a Mike Burton, they win a sectional title. Good for them. They are a number three seed, I'll be at their game Friday.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Here's my story about the game and the history. Want to get the word out that this new website has hit the scene. They welcome reader contributions, under certain guidelines, one of which is -- NO POLITICS.

Yay, I like these people.

http://www.insidewarren.com/?p=390

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Next year will be an easy division ? When was the last year that any division was EASY for Hackettstown football? Their division loses 3 of the teams that they beat this year. They do have some talented players but I think if you look at the teams they play it doesn't measure up to most of them. I have seen their games this year and last year. The offensive line has struggled all year. It's just my opinion but from following along I would say that they had more talent than Whippany, Parsippany's, and Jefferson. Morris Catholic , as much as they have struggled, did have some good players. And the overall talent on Lenape Valley, Hanover Park, and Madison is head and shoulders above Hackettstown.

Citrusfire Citrusfire
Nov '15

I got a chuckle out of the "logic" that Army and Navy's combined records are around .500, so the triple-option is a bad offense.

Navy has better football players, and judging by the teams' recent history head-to-head, they've been getting better players for quite some time.

When a good player has qualified for both academies, which one would he choose if he wants to win?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Let's hear what needs to be done,to make this a great program! So the question is, if you were the head coach,what would you do?Ok experts let's hear it !

Off-season conditioning, making sure guys work in the weight room, and run.

It's not about x's and o's ... a D-1 talent will dominate high school games no matter what plays the coaches are calling.

You've got to have PLAYERS!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

if the linemen could be 6'5" - 300 lbs, the receivers have 4.2 speed and the quarterback can throw a dart 50 yards, that would help.

ken e
Nov '15

I'll give you a quote from the aforementioned Kevin Hennelly, who has been winning a lot more than he's lost the last two decades at West Morris --

Hennelly said the Wolfpack staff finds the Wing-T to be an equalizer when playing high powered teams. "By playing ball control, we've been able to stay in the game," he said.

Basically, what he's been saying for years and years, when you don't have overpowering big people and blazing speedsters, you take LESS risks, not more.

You can't afford turnovers and to put yourself in an early hole.

Some people just get on a "get rid of the coach" agenda on local sports threads.

In the NFL, or major college leagues like the SEC or Big 10, it's about x's and o's because all the players are superior athletes.

In high school, if you have superior athletes, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Andy, why don't the majority of high school programs run the Wing T? or do they? You mention West Morris and I believe Lenape is another team that does well year after year after year with it - no secret there. If what you say in your last post is true, everyone should be running it, unless of course they have superior athletes as you mentioned. What makes a coach decide that Wing T is not good for his program of non-superior athletes?

brown bear2 brown bear2
Nov '15

The wing T or Delaware offense was created by Tubby Raymond at the university of Delaware. It is a very versatile attack that can be geared to a running or passing game based upon your players. The blocking consists of angle blocking , double teams and kick outs. There is a lot of deception and play action in the offense. It is a very good HS offense because of the versatility it allows the coach based upon his players.

waldo waldo
Nov '15

The important thing with any offense or defense is, it must be run from the feeder programs youth football, right through high school ! That is what West Morris and Lenape do.Both very successful programs.But this doesn't happen in Hackettstown,and then everybody wants to know why we lose.North Warren, another good program,same runs the same offense,and defense as do the Rec programs.

LoBo,

You are spot on, but I would word your last sentence " the Rec programs run the same offense and defense as the H.S". That's the problem in Hackettstown. The Head Coach is the top dog and through communication and instruction s/he creates a downflow of learning the system. It doesn't flow up I'll bet he hasn't gotten that kind of respect/influence.

Coach Hennelly (WMRHS) has a feeder program under his influence. How? Simple. The Head Coach sits down with the A.D. and feeder leadership and discusses how to bring the feeders on board. When everyone is clear on the style of play it proceeds.

When the feeders have a question, they ask for guidance. If they deviate for independent reasons they are no longer given support from the A.D.--- no fields etc.
Toe the line. Why would a feeder program NOT run the stuff the varsity runs? Or better yet, how could they get away with it??

justthefacts
Nov '15

Let's be realistic do you really think the HS's offense is something 8year olds- 13year olds can handle? Should I start teaching my K1 flag kids the triple option? You think that would be productive? Would that really teach them the fundamentals of football? And when the HS replaces their head coach every few years do we need the "feeder" program to learn a new offense?

Remember the TSA has been using the same offense for over 15yrs. How many head coaches has the HS had during that time?

Or do you think it would be wise for the TSA to teach the kids the fundamentals of football. Have them learn the basics which each year learning more skills. And then the HS can take those kids with solid skills and mold them to fit their offense. Or even better have the HS program adjust its offensive style based on the talent they have.

WMRHS has a feeder program running the same style for 2 reasons, 1 it's a style that can be taught at all levels. And 2 the program has stability

Darwin Darwin
Nov '15

Even when you commit to a Wing-T .... Hennelly adds wrinkles to it when the kids reach the varsity level ... what gets played at the youth levels is the most rudimentary version.

High school teams that have speed and someone who can throw -- play the spread these days, some play the same pistol offense Jim Harbaugh is known for coaching ... and speed kills.

Morris Knolls has had a good year playing the veer -- Voorhees was great at that 15 years ago and Mount Olive won a sectional title in Group III running the veer -- talk about deception.

If you want to emulate Chot Morrison --- he was the wizard of the single wing.

But it don't mean a thing if you don't have players who are in shape.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

That's the great part about the wing t, it is the wrinkles you add as the athletes progress. You can run out of the I power I split backs, single back, twins and pro formations. With the multiple sets, fakes in the backfield there are a lot of reads for the defense and it keeps players at home on the defensive side of the ball. The current HS offense is great if you have lineman that can handle their blocks one on one. It is a smashmouth offense that requires smashmouth athletes.

waldo waldo
Nov '15

True.

If I were asked to build a high school program from the ground up, there's no better framework to start from than a Wing-T based system. You don't have to go very far to find places where it is working.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

You should not be teaching the triple option to your flag team. But let's start with stances, where the quarterback's hands should be on the center exchange or how the running back exchange happens. Fundamentals should be taught and should be paramount over the playbook. Unfortunately that is not the case currently. Flag players aside, when you watch half the pre-clinic, or clinic levels with 3-point stances with their butts touching the ground or their hands not touching the ground or in track stances there is an issue. Forget the playbook and work on consistent teaching of the fundamentals which does not exist. Poor fundamentals are not corrected and quite frankly I do not think the coaches know any better. The high school coaches need to help teach the lower programs the importance of fundamentals, how to teach them and how to correct them. Playbooks can be adjusted if the fundamentals are sound. Tackling, Blocking, Stances..... go ahead and walk through any of the levels. All being taught differently and in most cases incorrectly. Work on the fundamentals, stop thinking that what you are watching on Sunday correlates to what you are doing on the field with children and you will have better High School success. Forget the playbook, fundamentals are where it is at.

funkymonkey
Nov '15

Well said funkymonkey,without the fundamentals they really risk injury! I watched a few of the junior Tigers football games and these kids can't block, because they don't know how! The high school should hold clinics for the junior coaches,teach them the basics,and how to coach it!

The Fat Lady is starting to clear her throat

Nov '15

Yeah, I've said over and over that youth sports are for learning fundamentals and skills development. Winning and 'strategy' are overemphasized at that level ... by the time they are on the freshman team, the kids have more attention span and focus (I'd hope) and would grasp those playbooks, really understand them perhaps for the first time.

Youth coaches want to make a name for themselves, by winning, by being great strategists.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Well said Andy !

Wish Hackettstown the best in their game with Lenape Valley.

The Tigers have been able to stay in the game with them the last three times they've played ... they had a real crazy thriller-diller last year.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Well said Andy !

LoBo

But LoBo, you keep saying that HHS Coach should work with the TSA learning their Offense. Now you are agreeing with Andy's comment of:

Yeah, I've said over and over that youth sports are for learning fundamentals and skills development. Winning and 'strategy' are overemphasized at that level ... by the time they are on the freshman team, the kids have more attention span and focus (I'd hope) and would grasp those playbooks, really understand them perhaps for the first time.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '15

In discussing all this stuff, many things become contradictions.

I do believe when kids are learning the game, you want to keep the offensive system simple --- you have to have SOME kind of a system or else you couldn't run a play ... just like if nobody can snap the ball, hold onto it, or make a block, you can't accomplish much.

But as the kids get older, they are capable of learning, and not everybody plays the Wing-T forever.

I go back to the most impressive high school team I've seen in several years, the 2013 Ridge team that went 12-0. I saw them at Rutgers in the finals --- they ran spread, they ran Wing-T, they ran pistol, double wing, QB under center, QB in shotgun, direct snaps to the tailback --- they must have driven the defensive coaches of their opponents crazy.

How could high school kids do all that, especially, as a former lineman, how did those guys execute all the different blocking schemes? Are the kids just SMARTER in a place like Basking Ridge? You know they don't put football above doing your homework in a town like that.

A coach can put in a new offense during the off-season if he has properly evaluated the talent he has ... and it can work, if the kids apply themselves and play to their potential.

Geez, you'd think this is rocket science, or something.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

I don't think having the HS coach work with the Youth program will help the HS program when those kids get to HS. One reason being, what if that coach is no longer at the school, either fired or left for another school. Also as I have pointed out before, what about towns that have 1 youth program, BUT 2 HS's in the same town, where the kids would get split up? Youth ball is for learning the skills of the game, not running certain offenses.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '15

Andy I was at that game too as that was my high school. a few of us from my class joked we would never been able to play on that 2013 team they were so much bigger than we were in HS.

but that is a perfect example of a program that adapted to the talent level they had. We were a power I team for years, then we went to an option my senior year. But as the town started to grow you could see the talent level coming up. After I graduated the offense switched to a Pro Set, and they went on to have monster years in 2001 and won the title in 2003. New coach came in in 2005 and again adapted his style to fit the kids' talent and that 2013 team was amazing to watch.

darwin darwin
Nov '15

It sure was.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

And the Fat Lady is singing in all her glory tonight

Nov '15

Guess the fat lady is a Lenape Valley fan ? As well as the God father

Citrusfire Citrusfire
Nov '15

Clyde Potts these are opinions, nobody has the answers,or we would have a winning program! I have seen great programs, and bad programs,as well as a few of us on this thread.It sounds like your happy with 500 ball or less,do you think the kids feel that way? The kids put the time and effort in,and they want a different outcome,makes sense,maybe only to me, but that's ok !

What are they going to do, lure Don Shula out of retirement with a couple of million dollars?

Step up the recruiting process?

C'mon, man. They're just high school kids.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

It sounds like your happy with 500 ball or less,do you think the kids feel that way? The kids put the time and effort in,and they want a different outcome,makes sense,maybe only to me, but that's ok !
LoBo

HOW FAST WE FORGET WHAT WE SAY:

With a 4-5 record,who will the Tigers play in the playoffs?At least we have a chance to be at 500 for the season!
LoBo
1 week ago

ALL teams put in the time & effort. Unfortunately in sports as in life, someone wins while someone loses. Andy's above comments are RIGHT ON

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '15

Clyde , take it easy,I don't forget what I say,but when you listen to other people, they have merit in what they say,and people change there mind.That is why we have two ears and one mouth,and I know you like your facts correct,so the Tigers final record is 4-6,I believe that's under 500!

They had a respectable year, two of the losses were to Lenape Valley.

A few years ago they went 5-5, but two of the losses were to undefeated Madison, who had a legit D-1 talent in its backfield.

They can't recruit, they do the best they can with what they have.

The hard work is not "wasted" in any way. Those guys are in the best physical shape of their lives and will apply the good habits they have developed into all facets of their future endeavors.

Several recent Hackettstown players have graduated college and have started good careers for themselves --- that's what is REALLY important.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

It is hard to win a football game. They won four. That's a fine accomplishment.

justthefacts
Nov '15

Winning is a hard thing to do. It is very difficult to find people who win or organizations that win or understand what it takes to win. None of the schools recruit. All of the schools have to work with what they have, yet other schools win and we don't.

Alot of people do not understand the level of work that is necessary in achieving a winning environment. Winning 40% of the time is not a fine accomplishment, especially year after year, season after season. Coaches have been changed at HS. Something is causing the repetitive failure rate. This should be looked at and corrected.

Creating a winning environment requires a vision that starts early and must run through all levels of what we are doing as a community either academically or athletically. We do not accept a 60% fail rate in the classroom and we should not accept it in any other area that our children are involved in.

The leadership at the high school must help the youth program create a winning environment. Right now that does not exist. That may upset some people but it is fact. We should be teaching our children to put effort in to win, in whatever they decide to do. We should expect the leadership of the youth levels to excel not do the same thing for the sake of it being the same thing.

It is not hard to win a football game, but it is hard to create and follow the vision and philosophy of winning over the course of seasons. Program development is paramount. Right now, we do not have this. We lose. We accept mediocrity. We make excuses and point fingers.

This is not a reflection of our children. They may even be over achieving in the environment that we are providing. We should not accept loss year after year. We should not hand out trophies anymore for losing. If this environment does not exist than the community should look to change. Winning starts with fundamentals. An expectation to do things the right way. Outside of a few select levels of youth play this does not exist.

Our issue is lack of vision, lack of environment, lack of leadership. Not talent. Not a lack of good kids.

20 years of losses are piling up. Maybe its time to shake up the youth organization.

funkymonkey
Nov '15

Maybe the HS coach should take more of an interest in the youth program. Coach Poyer and some of the baseball players helped out with the Tiger Baseball program tryouts over the weekend. Matt Feci also works with kids interested in improving their hitting. If the football coach wants a proper feeding system, then he should know what's going on at the youth level. If the baseball coaches are doing it, what's wrong with the football coach?

Metsman Metsman
Nov '15

if you really want to look at the culture of the coaches at hhs, you should look at the a.d. it's his vision of what to expect from the coaches. he chooses people who he likes. their ability to coach young athletes is not a concern when hiring.

right focus
Nov '15

I know something about winning. I was a letter winner on a Group III state champion basketball team in my junior year.

Our head coach took over the program in my sophomore year, he coached a losing team at Toms River previously. He certainly was not hired based on won-lost record. He got the job because he promised to instill discipline into our program, and evidently he had a pretty good plan of how he would do it..

The next three years he won the sectional title, the state title, and the Shore Conference championship --- which is a BIG DEAL.

A few years later, when I interviewed him as an adult reporter, I asked him about those days he started out with us. He said they didn't care if he was going to play man-to-man or zone, they said all they wanted was for him to create an environment where the guys play for the team, rather than for themselves. He did that by establishing team rules and sticking to them, enforcing them.

So there you go, some life experience from a guy who has been through both extremes in high school sports, a winless football team and a champion basketball team.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Hey funny monkey why can't you sign your real name that you hide behind you're little computer if you know so much we could use your help
Rob spezza

Rob Spezza Rob Spezza
Nov '15

Well said funkymonkey! The definition of insanity, you got it! Only the date changes,SOS next year !

You don't have to go far to find out what makes teams win --- Warren Hills field hockey (even after changing coaches) and Hackettstown soccer.

What was THEIR secret?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

They hired experienced coaches and care about the program! Not much of a secret!

waldo waldo
Nov '15

Are you saying Hackettstown knows how to hire for some programs, but not for others?

Well, Tiger football has an experienced head coach now, going into his fourth year. It's been my experience following HS sports for the last five decades, that coaches do get better from one year to the next. Turn the page forward.

I just heard a caller on sports radio complaining about Urban Meyer!

There's just no pleasing some people.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Chip Kelly may be available soon.

Grab him before USC does LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Tigers went 4-6, how is that better after four years?Well next year they should do better, all the power teams in there division have been removed! So everyone should love the coach again! Lol!

C'mon Andy..,. You know the secret. According to this forum its always the coach's fault. LOL. The stats are all there. Since 2003 the football team is 50-78. My math is bad but that looks like an average of 3 to 4 wins per season (for the last 15 years - spanning 3 different head coaches). They have 1 appearance in the finals since 1974.
Another site I saw showed only 13 playoff appearances since 1974. Guess there have been a bunch of poor coaches in the last 40 years. When I see those things - I have to go out on a limb and say maybe it isn't always the coaches?

citrusfire citrusfire
Nov '15

How do you expect to win when your starting QB who can actually throw missed 2/3 of the season with a broken collar bone...

Metsman Metsman
Nov '15

And the current AD wasn't there to hire all those previous "bad coaches." LOL

I'll just go back to my own experience ... I was on a football team that went 0-8-1 ... we didn't go 0-9 because yours truly blocked a field goal try and an extra point try in our tie game ... but nobody cares 48 years later.

Point is, that same coach, seven years later, went 7-2. Four years before our winless season, that same coach had an 8-0-1 season --- that team had a D-1 scholarship player at middle linebacker who went on to the NFL.

Same coach, different players, different outcomes.

A good question to ask would be, how many D-1 football players has Hackettstown had since Doug Blake? A D-1 talent makes a big, big difference.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Metsman, Tigers had a QB that could throw, but did not use him?A coach should play his best 11 , that simple! Andy, why don't we have D-1 ball players,and other schools do,think about that ! You want a powerhouse football team, hire outside the school,and let coach do his job ! This is not rocket science!

He got hurt. The second string QB had to finish the season.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '15

This is where I get off the thread -- no sense arguing with someone who has an agenda.

Life is too short --- go get a coaching job.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

That wasn't directed at Metsman. Seems our posts arrived at about the same time.

My parting comment to LoBo is, you can't coach speed, some abilities are God given.

Good coaches can get ordinary athletes to overachieve and play together as a unit, but Hackettstown is a public school -- can't recruit.

Coaches can only do so much. You need athletes.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

How is hiring a coach from the outside going to turn these kids into D-1 players? It may make for a better football team (possibly) but I have to agree with Andy. Over the last 8 years New Jersey has produced a total of 409 D-1 football players. (or 51 per year) There are 416 high schools in the state. The states with the most are those that concentrate on football year round - they have different rules - they have spring ball. Texas has produced 3,016 D-1 players in the last 8 years (03 377 per year). I think you can improve a player, improve a team - but I think D-1 football players are unique individuals - and I am sure a high percentage of them are from the parochial powers in NJ. When asked why Hackettstown doesn't have D-1 players and the other schools do - according to the numbers only 51 (out of the 416 schools) have 1 D-1 player And that number is definitely off because those parochial powers have a bunch each year. I guess Hackettstown isn't lucky enough to be one of the 51 each year. Haven't really seen too many smaller publics who are blessed with D-1 football players year after year.

citrusfire citrusfire
Nov '15

HHS this past year had 8 total players 2 seniors 1 Jr 1 soph and 4 freshman in D3 college ball last year. No D2 or 1 players. Maybe athletes are playing other sports or just lose interest after hs. It's just not a football school anymore.

Luca Brasi
Nov '15

The most recent D-1 players I've seen around here played for West Morris and Madison --- they were game-breaking runners who ended up in the same backfield with Rutgers.

In high school I had the "honor" of trying to tackle a couple of D-1 guys who went on to the NFL --- Phil Villapiano (Raiders) and Franco Harris (Penn State and the Steelers) ...you don't see many like them in public school programs any more ... guys like that are a different level of player. They also were outstanding high school basketball players, simply tremendous athletes all-around.

I remember the Super Bowl party when Franco had a big game against the Vikings.
"Yeah, I know how those guys feel," I'd say knowingly, feeling like such an expert and all.

Harris is the answer to two Super Bowl trivia questions --- first Italian-American to be named MVP and first African-American to win the same award. Same guy in the same game, that's pretty cool.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

It is hard to win a football game. They won four. That's a fine accomplishment.

justthefacts

??????? Hard? There is a winner in every game

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Nov '15

Andy, I love your commentary, but I thought you were tapping out of this thread!

brown bear2 brown bear2
Nov '15

I'm not arguing anymore, not engaging in that tit-for-tat back-n-forth, but I'll just say --- three of the six H'town losses were to section finalists Lenape Valley and Madison --- and they played Lenape Valley twice.

Hanover Park also was a red hot team when the Tigers ran into them, so there's four games they simply lost to better teams. Dover they could have beaten, but they fell victim to faked punt and flea-flicker gadget plays, made in desperation, late in the game.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Just setting the record straight ... Lenape Valley and Madison could not both be sectional finalists if they met each other in the semifinal, now, could they?

Madison beat Lenape Valley last week and reached the final.

Still, Lenape Valley was the number one seed and the Tigers had a tough draw having to play them twice.

As long as the Tigers are in the same division with those two, they have a challenge ahead of them.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

For all the Hackettstown Football "Coaches and Experts".....like all NJ schools.....Hackettstown is in a New Super Conference next year with over a hundred teams......with several divisions.....split up according to Groups.....we are Group II.....we play Dover, Wallkill Valley, Lakeland.....yes...from Passaic County...287 North...I cant figure that one out....North Warren, Group III Mount Olive, Lenape Valley, Kittatinny, Newton and Warren Hills. The Non Public Schools are in a Conference all by themselves.....Delbarton,Pope John and a few others are not happy campers about the new alignment.....It seems like every 3 years or so the NJSIAA decides to make changes......So how long will this Super Conference be around??.....It's ridiculous to keep changing........

maxsky maxsky
Nov '15

http://wrnjradio.com/jay-edwards-poll/2015/answer-the-jay-edwards-poll-of-the-week-should-the-rivalry-football-game-between-the-hackettstown-tigers-and-the-warren-hills-blue-streaks-be-held-on-thanksgiving-day/

ooonoo ooonoo
Nov '15

H-town gets somewhat of a break getting Mount Olive out of Group III ... the Marauders have not exactly been a powerhouse.

I'm certainly in favor of maintaining as many local rivalries as possible, and playing on Thanksgiving Day.

Lakewood and Toms River South played their 96th Thanksgiving Day game this year ... some of you may know there also are Toms River North and East, but they are newcomers ... the original Toms River Indians now are Toms River South.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

re warren hills - hackettstown rivalry ... i think it's kinda 1 sided ... hackettstown's may circle warren hills on the calendar, but I think warren hills circles voorhees on their calendar....

ken e
Nov '15

INTERESTING FACT

There were times when Belvidere was WHRHS #1 rival. Also--- Belvidere used to beat Hunterdon Central so often that they knocked them out of the playoffs due to insufficient power points!

So guess what happened next?????------ The Delaware River Conference was disbanded
in great part to litlle ole Bville beatin' up on HCRHS. Ask the oldtimers they will confirm this.

I think Hackettstown needs the rivalry to keep its level of play up, if you get my drift.

When Phillipsburg wins numerous sectional and state titles in sports like football and wrestling, they credit their rivalry with Easton, Pa. (who they have lost to many times) with setting the bar high and making them put in the work enabling them to dominate in New Jersey.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Luca Brasi,I think your right, Hackettstown Tigers are really more of a Soccer and Basketball school now. It shows,hats off to those coaches!

And baseball, where they reach the section final almost every year.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '15

Regarding an earlier point, Belvidere has often been "the mouse that roared" beating bigger schools, and I mean really bigger schools.

They've done a lot of amazing things over there, and Tony Villante was a big part of it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.