Distant loud rumble

Did anyone just hear a loud rumble? I was inside with the tv on when i heard it and got up and opened the slider to hear better. Listened to it for about 30 seconds then it was gone. I am located in Allamuchy.

So far, www.usgs.gov has nothing listed for any earthquakes in the area. It could have been a long thunder rumble due to the front coming in changing the temperature downward quickly.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

I heard something strange before, but don't know what it was. By the time I got my husband to mute the TV, it was quiet.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Oct '15

I'm in liberty and herd it it sounded like thunder at first but it seemed to long for that jet car at island dragway maybe ??????

Could be an Air Force jet. They make all sorts of loud sounds and rumbles..

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

Truck engine braking?

It's been all over Facebook. Someone in Sparta was questioning it. Wonder what it was

It was loud ! Distant rumble not a jake brake more like jet but about 30 seconds long ???????? Nobody knows ???

It is the impending apocalypse, the wrath of The Lord.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Are we sure it wasn't Yankee's fans still sobbing?

LGM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '15

I was listening to Mike Francesa yesterday and some Mets fan called and asked, "who are the Yankees playing tonight ... ha ha ha" and Francesa calmly said "you're talking to the wrong Yankees fan with that stuff."

He talked about how he went through a lot of bad Yankees years as a youth, and I can confirm that. As an Orioles fan I can say, in the late 60s, you looked forward to the next Yankees series, because it was an easy three or four wins.

If you asked me to describe, in word, how I would describe Mets fans (of course you can't say all of them are the same) ... the word that comes to my mind is immature.

In some cases I would say, insufferably obnoxious.

So, enjoy your World Series, those pitchers are fantastic and deserve all the credit you can give them --- but try to act like you've been there before.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Andy, how did this get turned into a sports thread ??

Mariann Mariann
Oct '15

I fracking don't know what it could be.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '15

If it was heard all the way in Sparta, that's pretty scary. Anyone find out anything, yet? Time to "bug out ".......

P.S. I wish we had a "prepper" type club around here.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Oct '15

Come over to the 2A thread and meet me and the rest of the tinfoil hat club lol

skippy skippy
Oct '15

Knowlton & Columbia also..almost like thunder, but lasted longer. ???

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Oct '15

I'm not scared Jesus loves me : )
So what the heck was it !!!!!!

Large trolls coming down from the mountains.

Redwing
Oct '15

No I am large troll on mountain wasent me

Maybe michael j. Fox and the delorean coming back from the future.

Fishmaker1 Fishmaker1
Oct '15

Bigfoot coming down the mountain.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '15

Re: Distant loud rumble

maybe this

Brad2
Oct '15

I like the answer from Fishmaker1, but the Cubs didn't win the series.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

LOL...Brad2!

Oct '15

Brad2 - LMAO!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '15

Heard it as well in Mt Olive (top of the hill, off Smithtown). By the time I got hubby to mute the TV it only went for a few more seconds and stopped. Would love to know what it was as well... but Brad2's photo isn't a bad bet! lol

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Oct '15

We think it may have been a jet that broke the sound barrier and because it's so far away, it leaves a long "trail " of noise that could last a half hour.
Please......I can't take the suspense any more !! Nobody knows yet? At least every time I visit this thread, I still LMAO at Brad2's photo. It's SSOOO funny:-)

Oct '15

I don't think a supersonic aircraft would rumble for 30 minutes - at least not from the sonic boom.

The shockwave is cone shaped, and will certainly travel along the ground, but any one point will still just hear one boom (or in the case of the space shuttle, two booms - one from the nose shockwave and one from the tail shockwave).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNL4HHFG8H4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6r8wU2tDrc

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '15

Ok, I guess that blows my theory. Interesting, Mark. Thanks!

Oct '15

I hear the rumbling now in Port Murray

Nosila Nosila
Oct '15

https://cotocrew.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/strange-sounds-in-the-sky-rumblings-vibrations-day-night-part-ii/

Nosila Nosila
Oct '15

It's aliens.

Close encounters and all that...Orson Welles... War of the Worlds ... Grover's Mill

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Just heard loud rumbling in Mansfield.
Anyone else? Thunder? Not a cloud in the sky. It shook the house.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Aug '17

Saw a fighter jet over that area, low n loud.

Roywhite Roywhite
Aug '17

Fighter jets.

Miichele Miichele
Aug '17

We heard it in Liberty!

We heard it in Liberty Township. My landscaper saw it and said he saw two planes flying side by side. It shook our house.

Ihatebees Ihatebees
Aug '17

Loud and proud! The only sound greater is that of a WWII-era radial engine.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '17

I heard it four times a minute or so apart on Mt. Bethel Rd. in Mansfield. It almost sounded like a hot air balloon turning on the burners but much, much louder! I actually thought for a moment it was a tornado, but then realized the sun was shining.

MtBethel MtBethel
Aug '17

Strange, I am inside prepping dinner and my daughter ran into the house saying she heard something that sounded like thunder but louder. I have the T.V. on and did not hear it. I figured she heard a truck or something like that. Now I'm curious....

(I'm in town)

Liveandlove
Aug '17

Roywhite-how long ago?

Aug '17

Lots of loud f16 action over PV. Anything going on that I should know about?

LJRubi LJRubi
Aug '17

F16 just flew over Penwell Road then abrupt left turn
Small plane most likely didnt follow or have a flight plan
Coast Guard Copter took over following small plane .

Chubby Chubby
Aug '17

Flew right over Oxford. It was super loud!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Super duper loud!
Hope nothing is going on.
Is Trump in NJ or DC?

Aug '17

It was an F-16. It flew over Washington twice a little after 6pm. I don't know if it was one or two. Last time I saw one in this area was in the late 90's.

hownow hownow
Aug '17

F16 over the soccer fields near Comcast on Port Murray Rd a little after 6:00. Passed by twice.

The F-16 came up 57 from Pburg, banked to the left over Port Murray, went down over Oxford to about Brass Castle and banked left again for another run. Got a good look this time as he went over Washington to Port Murray and then turned and headed
back towards Pburg. You can tell all the people around here that never lived by an airport or military air base..

Veteran Veteran
Aug '17

Bothered, I'm assuming its the same one and time you heard. I saw it west of the 57-31 intersection

Roywhite Roywhite
Aug '17

Put guard in your scanner and you'll probably hear them calling the light plane(s) that bust the TFR.

Aug '17

Yup, I saw it fly over my house, then it sounded like to was doing maneuvers in the distance because the sound would come and go....like from nothing to super loud.....pretty damn cool if you ask me!

Darrin Darrin
Aug '17

My Mistake. It was east of 31. Mansfield area.
A little higher than Judges HR last night.

Roywhite Roywhite
Aug '17

Veteran

"You can tell all the people around here that never lived by an airport or military air base.." I think for the most part you're close to being on the money there, since most likely haven't. Growing up on or near Marine Corps & Naval Bases across the country, I notice them, but that's about it unless there's something really unusual about their flight pattern or the sound of their engines. I DO cringe a bit here and there when I hear a civilian jetliner throttle down quickly, since I live under one of the main Eastbound approach lanes.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '17

JR...

B-24 LIBERATOR!!! The sound of music!

Towny Towny
Aug '17

Ah its nothing compared to the helicopter herd that goes with the Pres. Try living on the backside of Camp David.

One of rhe best was riding on a liberty ship as Japanese and german fighters began their run from out of the sun. I opened up my gun sighting them in on the crosshairs. It smelled like the fourth of july. As they buzzed by at ship level, I could see them winking at me clear as day. Straight up they went, these harleys of the sky with American fighters on their tails. Unfortunately the bombers were fog bound and couldn't make it out for the show. Fun day.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '17

Growing up in 1950s Brooklyn, we had air raid drills in school. I remember eating Sunday dinner with my family, always around 2:00 pm, when the loudest boom I had ever heard occurred. Not having air conditioning yet, windows all opened, this scared the heck out of us. Down I went, under the table, scared to death. Dad, my hero, comforted me and told me it was a plane that broke the sound barrier. I thought we were under attack.

justwondering justwondering
Aug '17

This was taken last evening from Mountain Top Road. As Veteran said, it was traveling east along Rt 57 and banking left towards Port Murray when I caught this. I was hoping it would circle around again, as one did earlier this week, but it didn't.

"This was taken last evening from Mountain Top Road."

Word of advice... if you're in a Cessna, don't mess with an F-15.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '17

That's an F-15, not an F-16. Nice shot!

AviationGuy AviationGuy
Aug '17

great shot BobL I head the noise in Great meadows but with the tree coverage I couldn't see anything.

shady shady
Aug '17

Of course that is an F-15; but the others in this thread reported seeing an F-16.

Aug '17

I'm sure they're using both (F-15 and F-16) as those are the bulk of the fighter aircraft in the Air Force.

While not impossible, I'd be more surprised to see any F-18's flying around (they are Navy aircraft) or F-22's / F35's (probably way too expensive to waste time shooing the "flies" away - and I think they are only based in Florida and Arizona).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '17

Interesting though... the nearest F-15 squadron is, I believe, in Massachusetts.

The F-16's may be flying out of Atlantic City.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '17

Reggie,

Not disagreeing with you, we kinda' posted at the same time, for the same reason LOL

Mark,

Yes, F-15s out of Otis in MA.

F-18's seen down around MD/VA, thanks to Norfolk Naval Station.

AviationGuy AviationGuy
Aug '17

Maybe they will break the sound barrier

Bug3
Aug '17

Heard it at Field of Dreams last night - not 100% sure why you would chase a Cessna with an F-15?

Their stall speed might be a Cessna top speed - not even sure if the math works?

Guess my point is the military is not chasing some civilian prop job around NW Jersey unless they took it as a serious threat - whatever they where chasing - they where balls to wall - unless it was Maverick flying...into the danger zone.

Well they practice on Cessnas quite often - the CAP (in which I am a pilot) serves as training targets with our 172s and 182s.

Check out the angle of attack difference in the picture.

As for "letting those jets in on 9/11" - ? - of course the airliners took off from domestic airports and they may have busted airspace restrictions but not Presidential TFRs. if you were joking, sorry!

Aug '17

I grew up near Newark airport and mom lives 5 miles from McGuire AFB and we have heard plenty of loud planes, but this was the worse. Plus you expect it hear it in those areas, NOT this area.

Aug '17

Great pic, Reggie! I am surprised to learn the F-15 can fly that slow without stalling or being on final approach.

AviationGuy AviationGuy
Aug '17

AviationGuy - F15's hardly even need wings to fly! One was damaged in a training accident, lost a wing, and still returned to base and landed.

https://theaviationist.com/2014/09/15/f-15-lands-with-one-wing/

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '17

Trump was scheduled to land in Morristown at 5:15 yesterday. Due tot he storms rolling in I don't know if the time was delayed or such but that could be why they were around

I have heard the rumble of jets again towards the southeastern direction from West Plane Street 3 times today. Anyone see the fighter jets today?
I had no idea that they "patrol" the skies the way they do when the President is in the area.

Just went over Port Murray. Not as loud as the other day.

Aug '17

Saw them go towards a small plane today around 4/5 ish

Nosila Nosila
Aug '17

Reggie Voter

Norm Mineta - Secretary of Transportation testimony in front of the 9/11 Commission - Cheney knew the plane was coming into the Pentagon and he did nothing - not a thing.

Seems odd to me that the VP of the United States would blow off an inbound bogey coming into the Pentagon on 9/11 but please remain asleep with the rest of your 250 Million Americans.

Peace Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDfdOwt2v3Y

ru,

"... but please remain asleep with the rest of your 250 Million Americans. "

- indicates that you're not one of us. please feel free to leave our country, and take your insulting attitude with you.

peace out*2

Aug '17

Reggie, there are 326,000 people in America.What RU said is that he is not part of the 250 million, he is part of the remaining 76 million.

Flight schools told the government what these people were up to. The USA has eleven aircraft carriers, but not enough resources to check out the story? Caught with pants down.

Ramcharger Ramcharger
Aug '17

He told me that I am asleep which was a personal insult and not pertinent to the discussion. Typical for this forum, however. Plus there is always another poster to jump in and defend the bullies.

Most of us can agree that the government was caught up in their own bureaucracy prior to and on 9/11. Okay, asleep or with their pants down.

But if one thinks that they would shoot down a civilian airliner over a populated area even if the responding aircraft had been armed, or that somehow aircraft carriers or how much they cost had anything to do with it, I can't agree.

Aug '17

"Most of us can agree that the government was caught up in their own bureaucracy prior to and on 9/11."

Still the case, still asleep, just with the pants up (but fly undone).

brendan brendan
Aug '17

"Cheney knew the plane was coming into the Pentagon and he did nothing - not a thing."

What plane? ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Sounds like the F16's are scrambling again. Loud plane sounds over Mansfield/Oxford area. Loud but not visible.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jul '18

Fighter jets overhead here in Liberty Twp...Mt. Lake Road ...Sod farms

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Jul '18

Trump was in Bedminster last night??

Dadof3
Jul '18

must be there today also as just buzzed califon. explains the protestors on 206

Sounded like F-16s in two ship, but it's been years since i lived on the Air Force base! They might have been in A/B, sounded a little louder than full military.

Probably someone busted the Presidential TFR.

Jul '18

Heard loud, clear, and a little unnerving in PV

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '18

The only thing better than the sound of fighter jet engines are RADIAL engines. But I'm oldschool.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '18

Down here in So Fl, when Trump is in Palm Beach, the Fl Air Nat'l Grd has planes up 24/7 in the area, usually they're circling up high but sometimes they come right down on the beach - impressive when a couple of F16's come straight down the shoreline at about 500 feet. Most likely the NJ Air Nat Grd is in the air when Trump is in Bedminster, gotta keep that Acosta guy from spying on Trump National in his PiperCub.

ExTownie
Jul '18

An airplane was in the no fly zone which made the fighter jets scramble in the air

Michael Michael
Jul '18

I heard it too when gardening. Initially sounded like thunder........ turned out it was a fighter jet. Trump is visiting his golf course over on Pottersville Rd. Very common to have them in the air when the President is in town.

fire251 fire251
Jul '18

The ghost of John Entwistle.

Denis Denis
Jul '18

Michael, that is what I guessed, above. As if a Cessna could cause much damage. One actually hit the white house some years ago and bounced off.

Jul '18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW2Y8DLwvxs

Reggie, a Cessna could cause devastating damage--if it was filled with explosives, or fuel, or some kind of toxin.

You might remember hearing that the guy who shot up the concert in Las Vegas was a licensed pilot. If he had gotten a plane, filled it with barrels of fuel, and ignited it moments before flying it down to crash into the crowd, he might easily have killed and/or injured many times more victims.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jul '18

Looks like the Air Force intercepted an errant small plane on Saturday.

https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/07/fighter_jet_intercepts_plane_near_trump_golf_cours.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.