Fall respiratory virus?

My kids are on day 7 of not feeling so good. We have been to the doctors office twice. Doctor said its a nasty respiratory virus. Usually a cold lasts a few days - not over a week! Anyone have this virus? When will we be feeling back to normal? The two older kids (ages 8 & 10) are back in school with some sniffles. The two younger ones are staying home from pre-k.

Koala bear 4
Oct '15

My household just got over it.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '15

to be completely gone? 2 weeks or more. first week is bad. second week it's still there, but symptoms are less. the cough hangs around for a while. good luck.

brown bear2 brown bear2
Oct '15

Family members have had "a cold" for over 2 weeks. Nose running, cough, lost voice. Cough only thing now hanging on. It's terrible,

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Oct '15

My husband is on about day 9. He took antibiotics last week, but they didn't seem to make a big difference. He is a little better but terrible cough is hanging on.

Hope you kids feel better soon!

It is definitely going around. My high schooler missed 3 days of school with that virus and he NEVER misses school.

Jane123 Jane123
Oct '15

We all had it too, my son brought it home first from HS and shared with the rest of us. After the first few days symptoms got better, just some lingering nose blowing and coughing in week 2. But 2 of the days we felt like we would drown, it was that bad!

hktownie hktownie
Oct '15

I was with a friend of mine a few days ago who was trying to get over it. Unfortunately, I started to feel sick last night which I can now thank her for giving it to me...lol

Just Me
Oct '15

Be careful...Coxsackie Virus is going around too.

concernedparent concernedparent
Oct '15

Antibiotics do not help a virus. Doctors need to stop handing them out like candy.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Oct '15

Sounds like my doctor was right. I thought maybe antibiotics would help but hate to give them medicine they don't need.
The cough is annoying! We are opening windows and cleaning all surfaces. Sorry to those at the beginning of this virus!

Koala bear 4
Oct '15

"Antibiotics do not help a virus. Doctors need to stop handing them out like candy."

So true Tracy. I avoid antibiotics like the plague! I try to avoid using only anti-bacterial products as well.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

I use oil of oregano immediately when I feel something starting. It nips it in the bud if you take it when you feel your first symptoms The best in my opinion is Oreganol P73.
I also sometimes use a goldenseal/echinacea tincture. This also kills bacteria and viruses. Again, take it as soon as you feel you are catching something.
I hope everyone feels better soon.

hapiest girl
Oct '15

My son has been home for past 2 days. Coughing and says his tummy and back hurt when he does:( his temp is just a little above normal, like 1 degree. Rest and liquids...

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '15

Completely agree, hapiest girl... although for some reason, you spelled "bourbon", "Booker's" and "Bloody Marys" wrong... you may want to get someone take a look at your spell checker (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

My 7 yr old had it for 2 weeks. My baby started 2 weeks ago with an ear infection first then this horrible gagging cough. Went for chest X-rays to rule out rsv and pneumonia. Now my teenager and myself have it. I'm on day 4 of 102 fever and horrible irritating cough. Dr gave me an inhaler and sent me along.

Another nonsensical nutty comment.
Is that what you had for breakfast, ianimal?
;-)

hapiest girl
Oct '15

hapiest girl, where do you get that stuff? How do you know how much to take?
ianimal, I know where to get your stuff!

hktownie hktownie
Oct '15

hktownie,
I like your sense of humor!

Health food stores will have it -- I would think the one on Main St. would have it......
if not, maybe she would order it.
I do my shopping at the Newton health food store (Sussex County Food Co-op)
They are well stocked on all the tinctures.
They all have directions on the bottle --- for the oil of oregano, you put 2-3 drops under the tongue. It doesn't say on the bottle, but if you can hold it there for 1-2 minutes it will get into your blood stream quicker Then drink some water.
The goldenseal-echinacea, like most tinctures, calls for putting drops in a small amount of water and drinking. The label on the tincture bottles tell you how many drops -- usually something like 20.

hapiest girl
Oct '15

Feel better Dina! Mamas can't be sick! We can't stay in bed - we have to take care of everyone. Rest and lots of hot tea and honey.

Koala bear 4
Oct '15

ianimal - Breakfast of champions! :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

I had gotten Strep at the beginning of the month and waited a week to go to the Drs since I just thought maybe it was from the change in weather, Until I ended up getting puss on the back of my throat. Needless to say the rapid strep test they took came back negative, But the swab they sent into the lab came back positive and I was given meds.
A week later my daughter and I got the respiratory cold from hell!
On top of being 9 weeks pregnant, I feel like I've spent all of this month sick. I just can't win.

Sam10
Oct '15

Uzma at Hackettstown Health Foods on Main definitely has oregano oil - and a whole display of things to kill viruses and boost your immune defenses.

Plus some products to ease symptoms.

My personal favorite is chicken broth from Hackettstown Chinese - loaded with garlic & ginger.

Feel Better All!!

When I was young and beautiful, I treated cold with shots of vodka with salt and black pepper. 2 days later I was healthy, but with a headache.

happiest girl - the essential oils and tinctures DO work. Increased intake of vitamins like D,C, and I'd add A,B,E, too, helps to fight most colds.

When I was a teen, I had cold every fall/spring. Then, one fine day we started to drink orange juice in the morning. Rather, forced to drink. As a result - no colds during the whole school year.

I'm sure you're still beautiful, Pyc!
Hey, maybe mom put 20 drops of vodka in your OJ......
jk....
But like you say, *C* and other vitamins keep your immunity up.
That's why I also use astragalus in the fall & winter ---- I put a stick of
it in the soup pot.

hapiest girl
Oct '15

Happiest girl - Astragalus? Haven't even heard of it.
I just remembered another "story" about vitamin C - the terminally ill patients (respiratory - probably TB) were administered very high doses of vit. C (100 or 1000 times). Half of the patients recovered...

@Pyc - definitely very popular in China. I was working in Hong Kong for several weeks and came down with a cold and they kept sending me broth with astragalus. It really worked (I think).

One of many recipes: http://www.itmonline.org/jintu/chickensoup.htm

I like my astragalus wrapped in prosciutto.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

Pyc --
for your reading pleasure......

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/astragalus

hapiest girl
Oct '15

Thank you for the links.
hm...

Kids are germ factories.

eperot eperot
Oct '15

Well now that the baby is on the mends I went back to the dr yesterday bc I still have this irritating cough and fever. Turns out that sometime between Wednesday am and Friday afternoon it turned into pneumonia. I'm now taking robitussin dm every 4 hours along w zpack. Hoping by the end of this weekend I'll be on the mends too. Here's to a very long season (ugh)
Fenugreek tea works great for coughs btw.

"I like my astragalus wrapped in prosciutto." --- ianimal

You're in luck!!
Go look in the produce section of Shoprite where astragalus is on sale this week for $1.89 lb. !!

I'm buying lots ----- need to build up those points for my free holiday bonus --- Tofurky Roast !!!!!
Yea !!!!!

hapiest girl
Oct '15

We're on day 5 of a coughing sluggish 8yr old. No fever but today he said his ear hurt a bit. He passed out for an hour and a half after dinner and went right back to sleep. Hoping he feels better in the morning or off to the dr we go.

Blackcat Blackcat
Oct '15

I also got this fall respiratory virus in mid-October when the topic came up.
Still have the wheeze and ear aches. Have been to the regular doctor & an allergist.
Put on antibiotics, allergy meds... It's still hanging in there. Anyone else still suffering?

Ronnie Ronnie
Nov '15

Thought I would revive this thread because there is something bronchial going around, and I wanted to put something on the radar for those who like herbal remedies.

While visiting Ecuador, I developed a bad cough, possibly bronchitis, consulted a doctor, and was given an amazingly effective remedy called Abrilar Jarabe Hedera Helix: English Ivy extract syrup.

If there is anyone from S. America reading this: I'm wondering if English Ivy syrup is something commonly used for coughs there? It was very effective. Can you find it anywhere around here?

If not, I'm definitely going to order some online to have it on hand. Would recommend trying it if you like herbal solutions.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

Rebecka, my little one last year had this nasty fall cough and the dr said to get him Zarbee's for children. It's dark honey and English ivy syrup. That is now our go to for the whole family. Really helps with coughing and doesn't taste anything like an ineffective robitussin syrup.

I believe all the local pharmacies carry Umka. You probably will have a choice of more than one at Hackettstown Health Food.

Yup...my big one had croup last week, and now the little one has it. Are any of those remedies safe for children under 2?

Tracy Tracy
Sep '16

That I don't know, Tracy. I would probably ask your pediatrician about that.

I am so happy to learn that this herbal remedy is available locally! I don't just like it because it's natural -- it was actually more effective than any DM formulation I've tried. Yay!

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

Tracy, Zarbees makes a baby version that's for infants 2 months old and up. I don't think it will help with croup though. I remember when my oldest had croup as a toddler I was told cough medicines don't help.

jrsemom jrsemom
Sep '16

Zarbees is safe for babies but jrsemom is right. No cough meds will help. A steamed up bathroom, humidifier in the room, and now that it's chillier at night, wrap the baby up and bring outside. Croup stinks, hope your little one feels better quickly

Please be aware that many herbal remedies will interact with and have an adverse effect on prescription medications, either by potentiating their effects or neutralizing them.

JerryG JerryG
Sep '16

FYI Umcka brand is homeopathic South African geranium (pelargonium sidoides), not straight Hedera helix extract.

kepa
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.