Psychiatrist recommendations.Updates?

Hello everyone! Can anyone recommend a great psychiatrist in the Hackettstown and surrounding areas?

Truckgrl Truckgrl
Oct '15

Stay away from Lee Monday biggest waste of money, the guy is a quack. Try Morris psychological group.

Honda h Honda h
Oct '15

Well depending on the issues. For Depression
Anxiety, addiction etc issues Mary Jo Lamb
In Basking Ridge. Or locally the Chartoff's
In Long Valley it is a Husband and Wife
So u have a choice. They also handle
Marital and relationship issues and every
Problem there is

LisaAnn LisaAnn
Oct '15

Monday, Lamb, Chartoff's - none of these are actually psychiatrists, if that is what is being sought. Unfortunately there is a nationwide shortage.

Truckgrl: Are you looking for an M.D. to prescribe medication (psychiatrist) or a therapist for counseling (psychologist or LCSW)?

clarioncall clarioncall
Oct '15

Was gonna say psychiatrists don't normally do talk therapy

skippy skippy
Oct '15

Dr Singh... psychiatrist wonderful at cbt and therapy

Carol's Mom
Oct '15

Depends on the age of the patient. If the patient is under 18 years of age, then you have to see a pediatric psychiatrist.
If you have insurance, check who they participate with, and then check those out. Email me if you need additional information. I work in the field.

If I only knew then If I only knew then
Oct '15

Looking for a Psychiatrist who prescribes medication, it is for someone over 18 years old, Having trouble focusing, could be residual effects from a previous medication. they want a second opinion!

Truckgrl Truckgrl
Oct '15

You may need both.

For Psychiatrist for tweenadult, Lee Suckno, Rockaway. Note: Lee is off the medical grid so it will be off net, paper bills, not even a secretary. Private and lower cost though.

Lee might suggest therapist; if may be a good idea in that they consult, console over time versus just pumping the drugs.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '15

would never use monday or chartoffs again. use Singh and are very happy

Faminneed Faminneed
Oct '15

Truckgrl - are you paying cash? I really had no choice because I couldn't afford to pay cash so went through insurance. I found that all the psychs I contacted around here no longer take insurance - seems like a big trend in the field to maximize profits..I totally get it, just can't afford without insurance. I ended up having to go to Parsipanny to get one in network.

Guess what I'm saying is if you are going through insurance, I'd start by checking there for who is in the plan.

brown bear2 brown bear2
Oct '15

Brown...it is a sad state, isn`t it? At least you found someone.

dsl102927 dsl102927
Oct '15

Hunterdon Behavioral Health on Rte 31 in Flemington has office full of adept psychiatrists. Also have therapists & support groups for all kinds of mental health issues (depression, bipolar, etc). They take all kinds of insurance. Are affiliated w/Hunterdon Medical Center. 908-788-6654.

FYI: Hospital has psychiatric dept for overnight short-term & daytime intensive outpatient program (iop). 24-hr Emergency hotline @ hospital. 908-788-6400.

St. Clare's in Denville off Diamond Spring Road has mental health care unit. Should have psychiatrists there or benable to refer you to local.

Advocate Advocate
Oct '15

http://www.confessionsofatherapist.com/2010/12/what-your-therapist-hasnt-told-you.html

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

Looking for a family psychologist that can help with depression. Any good ones around?Heard of Monday any one else?

Sillygirl Sillygirl
Oct '15

Dr Aquino, has helped my son after searching for 4 years. Hard to find one.

Leslie Leslie
Oct '15

Just because someone in mental health field has "Dr." in front of their name does not make them a PSYCHIATRIST. There are Dr's who are PSYCHOLOGISTS--they have Doctorates/PH.d--Degree above Master's. They're for TALK THERAPY. Dr. Lee Monday is a licensed, highly trained, experienced psychologist who has been spoken of highly by many people.

A PSYCHIATRIST is a MEDICALLY-TRAINED DOCTOR & is trained in pharmacology--esp how medications work w/eachother to influence behavior. They used to do talk therapy but mainly do evaluation visits that are at least 1 hr & then usually med mgt visits of 15 min ea to see if patient needs medicine adjustment. Highly recommended that patients of Psychiatrists engage in talk therapy as well--- w/a Psycholologist or LCSW.

Other mental health professionals are LCSW some w/MSW some w/o. Licensed Social Work, Masters in Social Work. LFMT, Licensed Family Marriage Therapist & I know of a couple of others just unsure of names. DIFFERENCE IN THESE IS TYPE OF TRAINING. FYI: Some insurance cos won't pay for some types of licensed/credentials of Therapists. Most people think of Child Neglect or Family Support when they heare term "Social Worker". May have same training/licensing just another career path.

DISCLAIMER:: The above is based upon my personal experience in Mental Health world so I'm sure there are inaccuracies. Please, any professionals, esp. Dr. Monday (who I respectfully mention above) correct me where I'm wrong.

Advocate Advocate
Oct '15

Most distinguishing between Psychologist & Psychiatrist--

Psychologist -- Ph.d after name (usually additional credential lettering &/or "Board-Certified"

Psychiatrist -- M.D. after name (usually additional credential lettering including D.O.--Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine &/or Board-Certified.

Advocate Advocate
Oct '15

Sillygirl--also Dr. Phil Yucht --think he's still practicing. Located @ corner East Ave/Rte 46 East across from Hyundai Dealer& First Hope Bank. Doesn't really take insurance last time I heard

Advocate Advocate
Oct '15

Healthcare options in this country are ridiculously difficult. Mental Health is so difficult to find at all and then you're limited as to who is in your "plan" or what you can afford. It just isn't right that this is the way it is.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Oct '15

Mary jo Lamb APN
Bedminster area
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner for 26 years
Prescribes and counselling

Mary Jo Lamb
Mar '17

Hey Mary Jo. It's your life and you can do what you want, but you might be alienating a huge client base with your Facebook profile pictures. Unless that's your intention...

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
Mar '17

Why would you think that, Happy Teacher? Are you judging her on her looks?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '17

No, I'm judging her on her apparently strong political affiliations.

Mar '17

Can we just go back to the original question about who is a good psychiatrist in this area and stop the off topic and personal attacks? "Happy Teacher" must not be that happy after all and better not be this rude to her students, as her response was anything other than happy.

resident08
Mar '17

Lol...I'm just trying to help. I looked her up to see if I'd be interested in switching doctors and her political agenda would not make her a good doctor for me.

Mar '17

Ahh, because ones political bent affects their ability to listen and help those in need?

Without looking (sorry, I don't do the facebook thing) I'm guessing there's support for Trump somewhere in that mix? If so I'd say hmmm.

Either way, the implication is that a political belief is cause for, or cause to beware of, some mental conditioning all on its own, which kinda defeats the purpose of belief in a mental professionals ability to help in the first place (since I'm fairly sure every psychiatrist who's ever lived has had their own political beliefs.) Might as well say that *no* mental professional is worth talking to.

justintime justintime
Mar '17

It demonstrates her awareness of professional neutrality. I'm not comfortable sharing my deepest thoughts and feelings with someone whose fundamental beliefs differ so dramatically from my own. The therapeutic relationship is about trust and connection.

Mar '17

Just curious Happy, if there was no mention of political nature on her facebook, would you have asked? I have never asked a doctor who they prefer in politics, what their religion is etc. As long as they can help me with my issue, it doesn't matter to me.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '17

Nope. But she made it publicly obvious and to me that signifies a lack of sound judgment for someone in her profession. Same goes for the classroom. I need to stay politically neutral for the benefit of my diverse student population.

Mar '17

Enough already, Happy Teacher. Seems like you need the help of someone with your behavior, so keep looking for a shrink, as you need one.

Let's stop the back and forth of this and just offer suggestions. If you do not like someone's political affiliations that is fine but stop defaming someone you do not even know based on their politics on their Facebook page, you are defaming their character. You are not a CNN, MSNBC or Fox News Political Analyst (wanted to make sure you got both the left and right news stations in there so you were not offended). Knock it off already.

resident08
Mar '17

I'm confused. Where did I defame someone?

Mar '17

You are definitely confused. You are mad because she is a conservative and you allude to it in your first post. You should have just butted out of the conversation and you definitely should not be calling out her political affiliations like you know her based on her Facebook page. She listed her name and counseling information, just let it go. Stop trying to be holier than thou because she is not the liberal Democrat that you teachers like. Enough and you clearly need some serious help and you are defaming someone by questioning her political beliefs like you know her, that is defamation. Stop posting and get some help.

resident08
Mar '17

I said nothing about her political affiliation other than the fact that it could be alienating for potential clients. I'm not sure why you are so angry.

Mar '17

You are the one that is angry and I am done listening to your drama and one that could benefit from that psychiatrists help, regardless of her political affiliation. Regardless of her political affiliation, she is there to help you with mental health issues not indoctrinate you with her political agenda.

In case you missed where you wrote her political affiliation, here it is:

"I looked her up to see if I'd be interested in switching doctors and her political agenda would not make her a good doctor for me."

Case closed. I am done with your thread. God help the students you teach, as you clearly do not get it.

resident08
Mar '17

Resident and JIT, I respect both of you and like you based on your posts on this forum, but here I agree with HappyTeacher. Many types of professionals should and do strive to maintain a certain level of professionalism and neutrality in their online profiles and posts. I don't see where HappyTeacher defamed the APN in question, but instead just stated her opinion regarding the non-neutrality of her FB page. The only thing objectionable I see in the recent posts is you, Resident, telling HappyTeacher to "keep looking for a shrink, you need one." I'm surprised at that remark, and I think it was quite uncalled for, given the measured nature of Happy's posts.

Just my humble opinion, as they say...

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Rebecka you need to butt out as well, as you are another liberal who posts nonsense as well all the time on this forum. You do not get that she was defaming the person by alluding to her political affiliations. That was uncalled for and not needed. Butt out as you are just allowing this thread to continue. I am done with the nonsense of this thread and HL.

resident08
Mar '17

You are unfortunately blinded by your own political ideas, which you allow to cloud your thinking and words. I don't post liberal nonsense, as I stay out of the political debates (and am not a liberal). But feel free to carry on summarily categorizing people based on how you think they vote.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

All of this for a thread from October 2015.. Hopefully the original poster found someone by now.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '17

Peace not politics.

interesting - resident08 is about as judgemental as any here- and bossy to boot -
oh well - just another afternoon on HL

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

so she likes trump and is a republican, so what? she could be the best at what she does and you would never know, give her a shot , what have you got to lose?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '17

My only point was that everyone has their own beliefs, and the idea that a professional can only do their job if they have no personal life, to me, is absurd.

Now if the professional attempted to sway someone in their care then I can understand the perspective, but that is 100% speculation in this case. The correlative to the school environment point in the comment above is that no teacher should ever be trusted to keep their personal views out of the classroom-an equally absurd thought.

IMO this is really an irrational view perpetuated in our culture, the whole "assumed guilt" thing based on nothing other than a bias against other points of view.

justintime justintime
Mar '17

HappyTeacher - I completely agree................There is no way I would feel comfortable/compatible with someone of those views. It is no reflection on how skilled a person is - It's about vastly different world views

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

So 4catmom, as long as you don't know what people think you're ok with them providing you a service. But once you know their political views then suddenly they are incompetent in their respective fields? Seriously, step back and think about that for a moment.

As an example, do you trust your mechanic to install your brakes correctly regardless of their politics? How about a surgeon performing an emergency surgery? Do you interview everyone first to make sure they align with your own personal biases before doing business with them? I would find that hard to believe.

justintime justintime
Mar '17

Would you be OK with your child having a teacher who was active in the KKK? Certain professions require a modicum of personal discretion.

Mar '17

As long as it's kept from the classroom, sure.

But your missing the bigger point I think, and that's that we could all, quite easily, find fault with *everyone* if that's the outloook taken. What a world that would be, right?

Sorry, I'm going to have to continue to disagree-your position is difficult for me to agree with.

justintime justintime
Mar '17

A relationship with a therapist is quite different that one with a mechanic or the other examples you cited. And this particular therapist loaded her public page with her particular political preference.....which would also make me question her decisions.

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

Has anyone ever seen Daniel Greenfield? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

abigailsmom abigailsmom
Apr '17

If you have no one and have Medicaid or lower income, family guidance center has been great for me. You can reach them through the county website.

dsl1121 dsl1121
Apr '17

Mary Jo, your unprofessional private messages confirm my suspicions. Thank you.

May '17

Happy teacher, What happend now, what did she say to you?

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

I was wondering if anyone else got a PM!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Anyone else that continues to comment will be sued

Mary jo lamb Mary jo lamb
May '17

Post all of my comments that you received

May '17

But please put your names out there and don't hide
You people are disgusting and childish
Grow up

May '17

Who the hell is Mary jo lamb and why did I also get a message from her - don't know her from a hole in the wall -

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

You only got one? Consider yourself lucky lol.

Is she also threatening you and calling you names?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Apparently she is the APN discussed on this thread or someone posing as her. I'd report it, I don't think it would be hard to get her IP address.

positive positive
May '17

Yup threatening to sue. Lol
Ask me to show you her Fb pages, when I bring you squirrels. Rebecka

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

I got two messages threatening me and name calling.

May '17

I received one message taking me to task for my Oct. 2015 post.

The Russians have hacked her e-mail address.

kb2755 kb2755
May '17

I don't know, it's hard to believe a supposed professional would risk their reputation and put their career on the line.

I can't help thinking that it's a disgruntled poster who has already posted on this thread and is posing to be Mary Jo Lamb. However you guys would know better since you are the ones getting the emails.

positive positive
May '17

Mary jo lamb noreply@hackettstownlife.com via www2.g17.pair.com
May 18 (1 day ago)

to me
The following message has been sent to you regarding your forum post at
Hackettstown Life.

Why don't you put your real name on this discussion
Or better yet give me your name for my lawyer
Ignorant person

You can view the original post at:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/711873#t788031

I deleted the second email with her phone number in it. I guess it's possible someone is pretending to be her since her email is hidden.

May '17

Also, take notice (don't know if it means anything), Mary's first post on this thread..her screen name has an upper case J and uppercase L and no gravitar (email).

Now her screen name has a lower case j and a lowercase l with a gravitar.

I would think her original post would certainly include her email and contact number since it appears she was trying to gain more clients, but (maybe that was not her?)

I guess I'm looking way too much into this, but it just doesn't add up.

positive positive
May '17

hoping for banning

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

I'm reporting you people to the forum monitors
You attacked my character for absolutely no reason
And I'm pursuing legal actions against the ones that defamed me

Mary Jo Lamb Mary Jo Lamb
May '17

Number of people who "defamed" you: 0

Number of people who "attacked your character:" 0

Damage done to your professional reputation by none other than you, yourself: immeasurable.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

fine summary, Rebecka - This woman appears to need help

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

dr chartoff "fired" my daughter Bc he said she wasn't showing improvement. Wasn't that his job, to help her improve!?

GetOverYeself GetOverYeself
May '17

Maybe he didn't want to waste her money if things were not getting better ? Did he at least refer her someplace else?

skippy skippy
May '17

No; she has anxiety and is very shy; I think he didn't have the patience to figure out how to get through. He didn't refer her; he just said he can't help her. And that was only after maybe 5 sessions.

Oh well. She's profoundly happy where she is now.

May '17

Good for her - I'm glad.

skippy skippy
May '17

Thanks, skippy.

May '17

Has anyone had experience with Dr. Geri Richardson? I'm on a mission to get better, physically and mentally. As some of you may have seen, I'm looking into heart surgeons. I also need psychiatric help, dealing with the never ending fear, sadness. I've seen Dr. Singh, mentioned here, a lot. He's 70 years old, and I'm going to need someone for the rest of what's left of my life. I haven't checked yet, to see if he takes insurance, however, based on what I read here, looks grim. I don't know if Dr. Geri is new or what, but there was no information (that I could find) on her profile. I just started looking today, came across this thread. Any advice, referrals or information would be greatly appreciated. Once again, I'd like to stay in or near Hackettstown, as driving can be a challenge, sometimes. Fun summer to look forward to, but luckily I live in a nice community with people willing to help each other. Thanks everyone.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jun '17

Getoveryeself.. where is your daughter going now? Looking for a Psychologist/therapist for a family member, young adult.

Sifting through this thread I see Dr Singh is good but getting on in years and this young person will likely need to start a long term relationship with someone. Hunterdon seems like an option but a bit far to go.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '17

If its a Psychiatrist you need...Dr. Putcha on Columbia turnpike in florham park is a medication genius. Worth the drive or out of pocket expense if you can. Worth her weight in gold! Also, Dr. Single (may have spelled wrong) in mine hill is good too. For therapy....Dr jay sweifach out of psychological associates in hackettstown is amazing! Talks to you like a human being, very easy to talk to! Good luck!

Grandma1 Grandma1
Sep '17

Looking for a Psychologist, Dr Anthony Aquino Hackettstown, he has helped my son enormously. The person has to feel comfortable with the therapist and want be helped or else you can just go through the motions....

Leslie Leslie
Sep '17

I'm wondering if anyone has found a psychiatrist - one who can prescribe and tweak meds.
I befriended an older woman at my gym and she really needs someone who help her with meds/anxiety. She is on medicare and I think aarp supplimental...........I don't want to just get names without a recommendation...Thanks in advance. Oh - LV,Chester, Hackettstown area

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

The family guidance center on bilby rd is wonderful. They take medicare. They were great with my mom. She has since passed. But couldn't say enough about this place especially Rita Lawler.

They really do care.

Kikinj Kikinj
May '18

Just saw this 4cat. DH will most likely have some names for you. I'll ask him and PM you.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '18

Thanks - I want to help her find a better solution

4catmom 4catmom
May '18

Looking to replace my current psychiatrist as she will be retiring soon....any new and great recommendations?

4catmom,

Do you know if she’s currently on meds for anxiety? Certain meds used long term can actually CAUSE anxiety. You are an amazing person for not judging and wanting to help. So many look at mental health like it’s taboo or that the person should just “get over it”. Just because people can’t see the illness or pain doesn’t mean that it isn’t very real.

BigHeart BigHeart
Sep '18

Did you ever find a good psychiatrist?

BigHeart BigHeart
Oct '18

Bigheart - I found a name for her though I don't remember the details. She hasn't pursued it. She has had some other issues....and actually a friend and I went to check on her - had to do some detective work to locate her.....Happy there's someone who kind of looks out for her - and she now has my contact information if she wants to use it.

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

I went to Dr. Singe in Hackettstown and he after one visit said he knew me! He didn’t of course and was advised by psychiatrist at NY Presbyterian to not go back. He gave me a list of medications as long as your arm then told me to pick whatever 3, I wanted!!!!! That was alarming. Have another friend who did what he said and wound up not in a good way. Heard only bad now about him. Was so hopeful at first. Bad choice, never went back.

Teddy
Feb '19

Anyone have any new reccs? Trying to find one in the area with no luck and the reviews ive been reading for some are a bit scary..

Sunny718 Sunny718
Jul '20

I honestly travel East for mental health needs. Contact your insurance company to get started. You can’t go wrong in the Morristown area.

For reals For reals
Jul '20

For reals- I’ve been looking through my insurance company and everyone i find has such bad reviews can you recommend anyone?

Sunny718 Sunny718
Jul '20

Dr. Miller in Springfield. Dr. Michael Robinson in Morristown.

I don’t know what insurance they take anymore. The other recommendation I have is to call Atlantic Health in Morristown for referrals or your primary.

For reals For reals
Jul '20

Dr. Celeste A. Jacque 973-9941400
Initial appt is in Livingston, after that she will see you at a satellite office in Landing.
At this time she is doing Telemedicine, do to Covid-19.
She is excellent with medication management. She is not meant t be your ‘best friend’, but is wonderful with medication management.

Grandma3 Grandma3
Jul '20

Dr. Smith at Family Guidance Center. They have offices in Hackettstown, Washington and Phillipsburg. They charge you according to your income. I only pay $12 per session. They also have therapists and Job Coaches.

Positive Positive
Jul '20

Positive- family guidance center is booked all the way out til end of September

Sunny718 Sunny718
Jul '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.