Best camera for burglar prosecution

Looking for a camera system to prosecute a burglar. Have been robbed while at work, but did not notice items missing for several weeks. Who is the best for taping burglars? I want to have cameras installed inside and out.

sunny one sunny one
Oct '15

https://www.lorextechnology.com/site/HD-DVR-Security-system/High-definition-surveillance-camera-system/prod360020.p

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

Cameras are not a substitute for a good alarm system.

This
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LQbHnLSasfQ

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Oct '15

A bright light with a motion sensor is a good deterrent.

There really isn't a "best." There are so many different types of cameras, different ways and places to install them, different ways to store the data, etc. If you aren't certain and you have the means, consult a security company. If not, I suggest you spend a bit of time researching on Google and YouTube and Amazon. Decide whether you want hidden or obvious cameras, the best spots to place them, how to power them, whether you also want audio, how they will store the data, read user reviews, compare costs for equipment, etc. Then make a decision.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '15

Need more details. You say cameras for prosecution, so that implies that you're willing to get robbed again in order to obtain evidence. To me that says hidden cameras. Get a nanny cam, throw a tiffany ring box (with a fake ring in it) in front of the nanny cam and go to town. Not sure if that's entrapment or how much this may help in your original case. Consult a lawyer.

Honestly though, cameras are a much better deterrent than anything else. Unless you spend lots of dough on good cameras (not just high resolution, optics are important) and data retention systems (low compression, highly motion sensitive or 'always on'), you're not going to get much that's usable to prosecute anybody. Unless you can go to the cops with a video and tell them who it is in the video, you're just another person saying "look! i've got a blurry picture of a guy in a hoodie walking away with my stuff!" and that's about as far as it will go...

Brendan Brendan
Oct '15

Not to put too harsh a light on it, but if someone is entering your space stealing something you are not normally using and not disturbing the surrounding space, it sounds like an inside job. Often this is cases of your own kids or relatives, whom you do not suspect stealing from you. If you set up cameras and they are aware of them, don't expect to catch anyone.

Worse if you set them up in secret and do catch them, what are you prepared to do? Or if you set up the cameras and someone discovers the cameras, and you didn't tell them are you prepared for the backlash?

Just some things to think about. Web cams are cheap to set up,

Agust Agust
Oct '15

get a nanny cam you can put below or eye level to get face shots. You can get any camera to record the incident but if you can't identify the person then it will be hard. Most likely need 2 cameras.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.