Medicare and Laser Cataract Surgery

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about Medicare coverage in regards to Femto-Laser cataract surgery with Trulign Crystalens. I am reading conflicting information about if Medicare covers this or not.

hapiest girl
Oct '15

Every doctor has a different policy. Many will cover senior citizens who want to have the procedure done. Without insurance, LASIK costs about $5,000, if you qualify. Results are not 100% great. If you are older than 55, and need to read on a regular basis, you might not want to have anyone trying the new procedures on your delicate eyes.

Funny lady Funny lady
Oct '15

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/cataract-surgery.html

It is covered but costs are based on inpatient\outpatient, supplemental insurances, and if you have met the deductible for Part A and Part B. There is no easy answer but Medicare will pick up most costs after the deductible is met although having supplemental insurance (Part B and Medigap) will help greatly.

I don't know what laser cataract surgery is but I had two cataracts removed and lenses implanted- the standard lens is covered - the lens that corrects astigmatism is not....I opted to cover the difference.

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '15

It is not LASIK, and doing so when one has been diagnosed with cataracts is not ethical and nobody will proceed -- unless your examinations are not thorough enough to detect cataracts (if they are present). Cataract surgery today use lasers to cut into the eye. It is all at the micron level, pretty amazing stuff, and pretty standard; but pick the best doctor you can -- do not look to save a few hundred dollars with someone less reputable. A big factor in the results are the scans and then the surgery of course.

Yes, you cover the difference. And the Crystalens are the most additional, but worth it IMHO.

Finally, LASIK creates trouble down the road for cataract surgery, more difficult to get an accurate reading. Everyone will eventually get cataracts if they live long enough...

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.