Need help with outside framing

Need help with outside framing

We've demo'd our old chimney and replaced the flue. Now we need to build a wood frame chimney chase that's about 2x4x25 ft.

I'll be putting stone on the outside, so it needs to be solid and to code with lag screws into the house and fire stops every 10 ft. I've poured an 18 inch thick cement footing, so that is ready.

Can anyone recommend contractors that can do this work? I need it completed soon so I can do the masonry before it gets colder.

Any help is appreciated!

thanks!
Bill

BillScott BillScott
Oct '15

Check with Up on the Roof chimney repair. They may perform this work or certainly know contractors who do. As I mentioned in another post, this company is honest and reliable.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '15

Did you excavate the base of the chimney below frost depth (usually 36" around here)? an 18" thick slab seems to be overkill (most homes are set on a 12" thick footing 16"-24" wide) If you simply poured an 18" thick slab on grade you may run into trouble with heaving and settling of the slab during the freezing and thawing cycles of the year.

Technically, footings needs to go below the frost line. 36" is probably ok since it is adjacent to your home, otherwise I would recommend 42" in this area...

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.