Farewell WNTI

WNTI went dark today. Centenary sold the license and gave no advance notice to anyone, including the DJs until today when they closed shop. The station will supposedly only be broadcast via the Internet, if that. There just simply is nothing being broadcast on the radio now. It's gone.

This was my go-to station and it was better than satellite radio. 54 years on the air and poof. Gone.

Nikki Nikki
Oct '15

Wow, not even a warning that they were going to be shut down?

wnti_listener wnti_listener
Oct '15

If this is true, all of the loyal supporters of WNTI need to mount a writing campaign to the decision makers and let their feelings be known. We have supported the station and the live shows that made WNTI a real gem amongst the desert of commercial radio. Internet streaming alone won't get it - part of the success was being able to hear it in the car and anywhere in the world.

This was also one of the consistent platforms for local artists and a means to be introduced to the wide variety of music the world has to offer without being filtered through some commercial predetermination of what we should be listening to.

As stated at the outset, if this is true, get busy and let your voices be heard.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Oct '15

I was a Comm. student at Centenary and I know a lot of students opted to do their internship for the Comm. degree with WNTI, so I wonder how that will affect the curriculum because it helped the broadcast students out tremendously.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Oct '15

Just turned it on in my car. Was fine.

I smell a rumor!

All of the volunteer DJs have been let go (with no advance notice) and the upcoming fundraiser has been canceled.

Nikki Nikki
Oct '15

I'm going to call them and get the real deal

Here's the thread about it. I am friendly with one of the volunteer DJs. https://www.facebook.com/wnti919fm/posts/10153723794452728

Nikki Nikki
Oct '15

Say it ain't so!

Sport
Oct '15

It aint so

Brad2
Oct '15

I'm in my car on Mountain Ave. I can hear it fine.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

Shoulda saved this thread for April 1.

You had me going, there.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Sounds like hogwash to me. I have it playing now as well.

It is not hogwash. NPR has purchased the station license from Centenary. All of the volunteer DJs were told they are being let go today. There will be an official announcement released soon.

So go ahead and say what you will about it being untrue. It is most definitely true and those of us who know the volunteer DJs have been seeing the story unwind all day today.

Nikki Nikki
Oct '15

So it's staying on the air, just becoming NPR instead of a volunteer radio from centenary. You had us believing we'd hear static at 91.9

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

http://www.njarts.net/radio/wnti-is-sold-djs-say-goodbye-online/

What a loss for Hackettstown

Driver247 Driver247
Oct '15

Even with NPR broadcasting. It was the volunteer DJS that made the station what it was

Driver247 Driver247
Oct '15

The music we're hearing on WNTI is simply canned music as of noon today. They are no longer able to air live broadcasts.

I wish this could be a rumor… I feel like I lost an old friend today. I remember being a poor graduate student in the 80s and scraping together a few dollars to support the station because I loved it so much.

Independence Farmer Independence Farmer
Oct '15

Sucks sorry you lost your voice to the community

skippy skippy
Oct '15

What a shame. I'm just shocked. The best to all involved. Peace.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Oct '15

I started listening to WNTI when I first moved to Hackettstown in1995. I loved the fact that there was a wide variety of programming throughout the day with a combination of students and volunteers bringing all kinds of music. That was great for me because I love music in general and loved the fact that I could hear new and enjoyable music from all over the world and of all genres.

Around '97 or '98 the college made some sort of deal with the NPR which had the DJs' change the station's "tag line" when they made the station ID which somewhat rankled the DJs at the time, though I'm sure the ones that were around then could better explain that whole "deal".

I imagine this was a deal done by the outgoing President, which will likely leave somewhat of a dark cloud above her tenure. I'm sure it would be nice for someone in the administration to explain to both the college, the community and the listening public why this "deal" was deemed necessary. Of course I believe the DJs themselves who have served us so well over the years deserve an explanation as well, since it seems as though this whole arrangement was done "in the dark".

I don't know if the college administration thought that the station had taken on a life of its own and had overshadowed the college itself and perhaps was pulling funds which may have been used elsewhere, etc., but this is only speculation on my part.

In any case, I feel sympathy for all involved at the station who used their best efforts to bring us great entertainment, especially since I was a volunteer at my own college's radio station and friends of mine, including my college GF were DJs and I was fortunate enough to enjoy being "on air" with them at times, so I know something of the passion involved. I just hope that what it becomes is something near to what it has been in the past and that members of the current staff and regular programs will still be there, rather than being some "other" type of programming.

To me, it is a sad day indeed!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

Never listened to it myself...seemed to be a favorite of old hippies and liberals.

Not really too linked to the College.....Not a true college radio station catering to a young student crowd.

Plenty of other ways to hear new music....not the tragedy people are making it out to be.

Reynolds
Oct '15

I'm certainly not an old hippie though I am very liberal in some ways, and very conservative in others, but as I mentioned it does seem to not be as linked to the college as it once was and that may have been part of the "issue" the college may have had with it as far as possibly "overshadowing" the college.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I heard many groups that were not mainstream and would be considered college fare far before they were "popular" in general, if they ever became popular, such as "Cage The Elephant", "Florence & The Machine", "Cake", "The National", "Alabama Shakes", "The Carolina Chocolate Drops" and many many others. The Katie O. Radio show was a fave, where else could I hear "ska, punk and other junk" without resorting to the internet. Sure I could search the internet, but where could I find a wide variety of music that I could just locally tune into on my radio dial whether at home or in the car? Only WNTI!

Mowing the grass on weekends with my hearing protector headphones on will never be the same without being able to listen to "Little Steven's Underground Garage" or The Golden Gup and Lulu on the "Happy Foot Request Party". Great music history there and both programs almost made me look forward to mowing LOL.

Maybe it wasn't for everyone, but I know of many, including myself who rarely tuned to anything else, unless they were on Pandora, etc. because they were in the mood for a particular genre at any particular time.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

I wasn't a huge listener of WNTI, but I recognize what a loss this is for the community, and the "local flavor" is now gone, replaced by the dogma of NPR national programming. I went to their events (sponsored shows at the college, WNTI summer stage), and it's a damn shame that WNTI will now be just another damn homogenized NPR station.

It was also the best source for local news, like REALLY local- especially during crises like Sandy, etc.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '15

I'm so upset at centenary college. As a friend said, what a weasel move. CC is part of this community, but less so now.

Frank Frank
Oct '15

There must be a good amount of money in this for Centenary- the biggest reason for any decision like this. Were Centenary students not as involved or have the opportunities to work at the station- as that is the general purpose of having a college radio station?

It is a big loss for the local radio scene, no question. Loved knowing that the station was always there. Listening this AM, I am wondering who at NPR is doing the current programming, seems for now they are playing the no DJ format. Ironic to hear a Bob Dylan song right around the same time Melanie Theil would have played the "One more cup of coffee with Bob Dylan" segment. (and also pretty insulting in a way)

Will WRNJ seize the opportunity and slighty change their format, or even (gasp!) hire some of talent of the former WNTI? Might be the right time for them to seriously think their future in the local market.

I always equated WNTI with the college, regardless of who was there or how that changed over the years. In my mind, the college no longer has a radio station.

And, one last thought, no one (besides the relatives of those whom will be on the air at any particular moment) is going to tune into a WNTI via Internet only, without the current talent still in place. I listen to radio because it is just that, RADIO, over the airwaves.

Who is going to fill in the void? Starting a commercial radio station just doesnt happen overnight, with the FCC license and all- and I doubt it would make enough locally to thrive.

WRNJ- here is your moment to define local radio the next several years- lets see what happens.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Oct '15

Without the amazing volunteer DJs, I have zero reason to tune in to WNTI via the Internet. There are thousands of internet radio stations. Why listen to yet another one that will have nothing distinctive about it? The DJs and their eclectic selection of music were the best things about WNTI.

Although they are focused on rock and hard rock, I will likely alternate between The Hawk (out of Allentown) and WDHA, when I can tolerate it. But I will miss the folk and other genres WNTI offered.

And by using canned music and no longer having the DJs, the station might as well have gone dark for me. I am relieved a few posters provided the background info so that people here could have a clearer picture and could know that this is not hogwash.

Nikki Nikki
Oct '15

What a shame, enjoyed WNTI so much only great radio station around. But this comes as no surprise Centenary college is financially hurting. Last year they had mass layoffs, they also dismissed there Athletic director and other coaches. There sports programs lose a lot of money. They recently dismissed all there facility crews and hired part time workers. If it were not for there equine program the school would likely close.They have tried many times to get the school the ranking of being a university not a college, being denied many times. This is so sad about the voices of WNTI and the music they played.You guys and gals were the best. The college does its best to hide the negative news that comes from there campus, it's basically a glorified community college. To each and every DJ of WNTI Were gonna miss you

Rainman Rainman
Oct '15

If you loved WNTI, please write to Dr. Barbara Lewthwaite, President, and to the Board of Trustees, to let them know how you feel about losing this fabulous station.
lewthwaiteb@centenarycollege.edu and/or mail to

400 Jefferson Street, Hackettstown NJ 07840-2100

In an attempt to resolve financial problems, they have sold a real gem, a voice from the college that connected with people throughout the community, and beyond. This move will hurt, not enhance the college's image, and attraction to potential students.

Students can learn more from a successful, unique, artist-supporting radio, filled with talented, VOLUNTEER DJ's, than they ever will from a NPR run, creativity stifled, forum for kids to play whatever's on their Ipods.

This is a sad, and very shortsighted move from some obviously disconnected people. WNTI listeners are family - there's a lot of love here that is not going to simply dissolve.Let's gather it together and speak up! Thank you.

Thanks for the contact Information, we will definitely send our letter of complaint. Hackettstown and WNTI go together - big mistake cutting this important part of the community out.

Oct '15

Dr.Lewthwaite is also on her way out, she will be ''retiring'' at the end of this semester.There is a lot going on at this school. At this time 85 percent of there students are coming from inner cities gaining grants through the state. College is a business, especially private institutions,they are closing at a alarming rate. I too will miss WNTI they were awesome.Centenary you made a error in letting go a great radio station.

Rainman Rainman
Oct '15

Long time listener, donor and supporter here. Hardly a hippie, pretty far from a liberal, I'll miss the music, the collegial hosts and the family like atmosphere at the events. I know the station supported a wide swath of local non-profits not the least of which was the local TU chapter, the ARC, BID's in several towns and local high school sports by broadcasting the occasional games. Mel interviewed me a couple times on the bear hunt, trout in the classroom and general environmental issues.

I even called in to Value This once to chime in on local history and geography.

WNTI introduced me to a bunch of interesting music that I would never of had a chance to hear, and occasionally played the long obscure tracks from my misspent youth. I recall several instances of a long drive home and Spider spun up one of the long tracks from Yes, allowed me to forget about a long miserable day and smile in the car.

My parlor was ceiling was remodeled over several weekends listening to Al Monroe playing songs from the American songbook (Yes a long time ago).

Where else could you find yourself listening to Greatful Dead, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Frank Zappa, Willie Nelson and Red Hot Chili Peppers with the theme song to the old Top Cat cartoon show leading you into the NPR news hour.

Hackettstown as a community has lost something distinct and special. I for one will miss it.

Agust Agust
Oct '15

Let your voices be heard!

Oct '15

A great loss. All my family listened to WNTI. 2 of my boys were actually live guests playing live as many other local artists.

Bad move Centenary.

Christine Christine
Oct '15

No more mornings with Mel. Afternoons with Spider. Friday night camping with Katie O Radio. No more Sunday mornings with the Sinatra hour. Not to mention all the other greats in-between. LuLu, Trevor, Carol and Bob, Johnny D, Dog Bites etc etc etc etc.

Not all the music was my taste - but it opened up a whole new world of music you don't hear anywhere else. WNTI was the only pre-set on my radio and always a welcome presence on camping trips.

Hippie liberal? Hardly. I appreciated their focus on local artists and events. I will miss their public format. (908) 852-4545 will always be ingrained in my memory.

Where great music lives.

honey badger honey badger
Oct '15

You're right on target honey badger. The music wasn't for everyone. But then again no other station in this area could provide the diversity in musical genres that the station played. I will surely miss Mel and Carol but I will sorely miss Katie O.

NJKID1010 NJKID1010
Oct '15

Please WNTI friends. If you would be so kind to please send a letter, and come with a copy of the letter, and flowers, to the WNTI station at the Lackland Center on this Friday October 9th.

This is a peaceful expression of love and loss. The more - the better!

You can also voice your support on Facebook, Protest Centenary's WNTI takeover.

Maybe it's not too late. Thank you!!

What time on Friday.

Oct '15

I can say this with certainty ... Johnny D is no liberal ... I've been to diners with him and had conversations. Typical HL for someone to say it was a station for old hippies and liberals ... typical generalization without knowing facts, or the people involved.

To Johnny's credit, I've never heard him get political on the air ... but I don't think he would like being labeled a liberal ... I would not either, even though people on this site call me a wacko liberal ... I'm moderate, but I digress.

The ball is in WRNJ's court ...heard an encouraging sign Saturday morning ... "Morning Mike" played some John Lennon songs because John's birthday comes this week ... a flashback to the old WRNJ that I used to enjoy. Perhaps some recognition that alienating the older listeners has not brought them wealth and riches.

But, really, this is sad news about WNTI ... real local radio is fading away ... radio is becoming more and more corporate, less and less local, more and more about automatic broadcasts, feeding into national networks, and money. Less and less about job opportunities for local people, broadcasting to the interests of local listeners.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Today turned on 91.9 and music was playing. Is this NPR?

Sport
Oct '15

Not sure what time - will find out!

Yes, the studio is empty. No DJ's.

Listen for a DJ ... many radio shows these days originate somewhere else, or are taped in advance, somewhere else.

They try to fool you into thinking there is a local DJ there.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

I also am sad to see WNTI go. I do hope these guys stay local and are able to get more airtime.

Robert T. Robert T.
Oct '15

Haven't had a chance to listen to it, can't comment yet.

Glad RNJ is doing more sports, maybe all that money that's being spent advertising Draft Kings has something to do with it. Local sports (and the related human interest stories and serious issues) have been badly underserved in this area for a long time.

Francesa was saying today there is no way to verify such a big $$$ thing like Draft Kings is on the level. I'm not touching it ... I have a life.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

8:15 am - 10:00 pm Friday 9 October 2015

All welcome to come and peacefully leave a token of your feelings towards the people who made WNTI great, and the loss you feel at this corporate takeover.

anyway to participate remotely?

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

I was listening for a while and it's likely they have preplanned programming or that based via computer algorithm based on earlier playlists. They are still using NPR news every hour which they had been and there are the required station IDs, some of which sound like those prerecorded by the DJs themselves or close facsimiles. The music is a decent mix and still quite listenable, but the song announcements are gone, so unless you already know the song you're out of luck unless they're generating a computerized playlist to put up online too.

The "soul" of the station is lacking. At least that's my opinion, as there's no talk of what's up locally or on campus or in the community, at least not yet that I heard, but maybe now there won't be anymore either. Songs were there, but it's all so blase.

After looking, I wonder if they needed the money to help cover what the insurance may not have to rebuild the "President's House" and/or to help fund the new "Social Media Center", as shown in USA Today. It opens Oct. 9:

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/10/06/centenary-college-creates-social-media-center-in-push-to-teach-online-skills/

That in itself is valuable to some extent, but also funny, based on the article I read recently that said that today's graduates are ill-prepared for the work force and job interviews due to the fact that while they're used to being able to present themselves well online HOWEVER, in a real face to face job interview they are at a loss on how to actually interact in real life with real people in real situations. Ironic, I'd say.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

I've seen it, teaching community college speech classes.

Part of my class work has been practice job interviews.

And I've even given the students a list of the 10 most asked job interview questions, in advance, to help them prepare.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Bad news.

Nj.Com story: http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2015/10/long-running_nj_radio_station_wnti-fm_sold_to_npr.html

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '15

It feels like this is a bad dream and the DJ's will be back when I wake up and tune in tomorrow. What a nightmare.

Ydnew Ydnew
Oct '15

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/2015/10/06/outcry-centenary-announces-sale-radio-station/73457276/

Let's look at this from the college's side, as they are (were) the owners of the license, the facilities and the equipment. Was the station part of the college's curriculum? Was it a vehicle for the communications students to learn how to operate a radio station, in management, on-air and technical positions? Was it staffed by students at the college who are paying for an education? Or was it a community-based operation, that did serve a certain audience, just not necessarily the college?

Based on the statement in the article that the station will now be managed by the Communications Department, I think they are returning to what the core mission of the station was.
I don't understand how writing letters or signing a petition can change that. Yes, it will let the college know how you feel, but if a legal signed contract has been executed and the license has been sold, it's a done deal. What do you expect them to do, buy it back?

music gal music gal
Oct '15

Fifteen years ago the trustees initiated the changes that developed WNTI into the station it is now. They wanted to make it something better that reached out to the community, attracted new talent, and grew away from the limited, typical college radio format.

Now they are being punished for being "Too good". The station is (was) an asset to the college. Lean about communications? WNTI became the benchmark for how to transform a small, college radio into a global reaching, personal, creative, and ever changing success.

The tuition paying students are the losers here too.

But did the students work there? Were they getting hands-on experience in running the station? I'm asking sincerely - I do not know the answer. But I would hope that a college station's main focus would be to have the college students run it, with appropriate staff guidance.

music gal music gal
Oct '15

I'm shocked. Just spoke to one of the DJ's who is a friend. Basically the problem is that Centenary College is not doing well financially at all. Enrollment is down (something I've noticed as I live next to the college and the dorms seem to have a number of vacant rooms) and the President basically sold the rights to another station, who seek to use the WNTI tower as a repeater of sorts for their station.

So...WNTI is dead. New station will be taking over the airwaves in two weeks. WNTI WILL apparently be continuing in some fashion in an online format, as they still retain the physical studio and have the ability to stream online. but still, it just really sucks.

Please, even though this is a done deal, PLEASE voice your disapproval to the President. Let her and the rest of the trustees know how much WNTI meant to you and that they really made a bonehead move, killing a great locally grown pleasure.
To all the DJ's, who have given me such joy in the 6 years I have lived here, I thank you for your time and dedication in creating programming that was just a little outside the box. Mel, Spider, Johnny, Katie, Jeff, Bob...everyone...you will be missed!

eperot eperot
Oct '15

What number on the radio was this? Never heard of WNTI.

Larry Larry
Oct '15

They'll be getting a new president ...................................

hapiest girl
Oct '15

I was at career fairs at Lafayette and NJIT in the last couple of weeks, as a recruiter for my company. The seniors are very well prepared based on the ones that I talked with, probably about 100 or so. My two coworkers saw another hundred each or so. The students look you in the eye, shake your hand, they have been to our company web site and ask intelligent questions, most seemed very comfortable asking about our positions and the work we do, etc. You can tell that they have been coached and probably practiced.

So maybe some of the articles are not capturing the actual situation?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '15

Stupid move by the college. If you are having financial difficulties then this is just a band aid solution. They need to find a way to increase enrollment (if that is the issue) or cut expenses.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '15

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/94818/centenary-college-to-lease-wnti-locks-out-staff/

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/2015/10/06/outcry-centenary-announces-sale-radio-station/73457276/

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/wnti-over-centenary-college-radio-station-reportedly-sold-0

you guys are making news MAN!

Skippy Skippy
Oct '15

It would be a good time for a bunch of people to get together and start a outlaw station and fill the gap

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '15

At meetings at the community college about five years ago I kept suggesting they start an internet radio station ... it could have just been a click on their website ... how expensive could it be? Could become a money maker, and a great public relations tool... and something to draw students who like radio.

As someone who did not grow up here, I've got to say, Warren County resists new ideas --- just getting that community college up and running in the first place ... OMG ... the political opposition was fierce.

By the way ... the last couple of years I've enjoyed listening to old favorites at home on You Tube ... but now I don't get the sound when I go to play them, just the video ... what happened?

I can listen to ballgames on my PC ... I can hear the ads and video narratives on the ESPN site ... but not You Tube.

Boy, do I need a good radio station right about now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Hi Music Gal - to answer your question - Yes! The students got lots of hands on with the station. Classes were taught by Johnny D - and students worked as interns in the studio.

One class in particular I remember from last spring was on the air regularly - it was funny - the "Weather Boy" was Dan Drizzle!

When Jorma Kaukonen was in the studio, I met a couple of students who were so star struck I thought they might faint!

There was always such a warm friendly atmosphere, and invitation to be on the mic - it was a regular occurrence for Mel, John and Spider to have students on the air with campus activities - very often trying unsuccessfully to get shy student to speak up!

And on a personal note - if administration wanted more or different student participation - all they had to do was say so. This is something different. The sneaky way the trustees went about it - and cold-hearted, abrupt way of notifying people who had worked there for years - FREE - is appalling. I certainly looks like it's all about the money.

Institute of higher learning? Hmm. Looks like some very narrow minded, vision-less old fogies looked for some quick assets to liquefy. Sorry to say - with this kind of attitude - they'll run through 2 million in no time.

I was a volunteer co-host of the Sports Buzz from late 2007 to early 2010.

The show existed because a student wanted to do it. I was invited to become part of the show by Johnny D, who I got to know because we worked on Hackettstown Tigers football broadcasts together --- Johnny "Tool Box" was an essential part of the broadcast crew.

I was sort of the "old guy perspective" and Kevin "The Mayor" wanted the Yankees to fire Joe Girardi in the middle of the 2009 season --- I argued with him over that -- most of the time I was in his corner, though ... the show was pretty spirited and we got some great guests after Kevin got an internship at WFAN.

Kevin would be in his glory now, with the Mets in the playoffs. He was in his glory when the Giants won the Super Bowl alright.

I worked in local topics, like high school wrestling -- Kevin had no idea how big that is.

Cole Kimball filled in for Kevin one night and HE WAS GREAT. He stayed for the whole two hours and would have done three if I'd asked him. He has a future in the business if he wants to pursue it.

I'd love to be part of another show somewhere ... the more you do it, the better you get.

I also got to do some commentary on Centenary home basketball games, with Harlin Jeffries (a pro's pro) doing play by play. Johnny D handled the technical side. I found myself disagreeing with the coaching at times --- couldn't help myself, I used to play on a real successful high school team and know bad coaching when I see it.

As you can tell by the length of my posts, I'm usually not at a loss for things to say, when it comes to sports.

Sorry to see WNTI go -- hope something decent replaces it --- local radio is important.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

From the FCC's website:

Applicants Must Give Local Public Notice

All applicants for new broadcast stations, and all applicants to change an existing station's community of license, must give local notice in a newspaper of general circulation in the community in which the station is to be licensed. They must also give to the public an opportunity to file comments on these applications with the Commission. Copies of the application must be maintained in the station's public files or at a location accessible to the public in the community where the station is proposed, for example a public library or post office. Licensees who submit a license renewal application must give local public notice of the filing by broadcasting announcements over their stations. See rule section 47 CFR Section 73.3580.

Geoff Chambers Geoff Chambers
Oct '15

Hi Geoff. Does this apply to a private college radio station - also a 401c3 not for profit??

Does this apply to a non-commercial license?

Geoff Chambers does indeed make a good point. I would imagine that NPR would know and have let the college know the proper details as far as public notification of the intent to change the usage of the facilities, however this is a very important step that may have been left out. Since nobody on this thread knew about it, it's highly unlikely they posted the proper public notification, unless they snuck (oh rip, spellcheck got me on snuck, so we go to the cumbersome "sneaked" SMH) it up on the Post Office billboard at some time.

That very well could get both parties in hot water with the FCC, especially the college.

Part of the outrage also I think is due to the fact that the public donors, for which the station depended on for much of its operating expenses were given to ensure both the station's existence AND its future, such as the new antenna, new equipment and upgrading of facilities. The trustees and President violated the trust the public had in them to continue operating the station as an over the airwaves broadcasting station for the public (and by that I include students) to be informed, entertained and educated.

I remember that station changes were always listed in the radio magazines I used to subscribe to.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

Just curious... why would a college own a radio station staffed by non-student volunteers? If the college didn't have a communications program that would be used by actual students for the purpose of furthering their education (similar to WSOU at Seton Hall, for instance), why have a radio station in the first place? Did they once have a communications program that was discontinued?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

I guess you could call WNTI a "hybrid" of sorts. The station was staffed by both students and volunteers. Andy mentions that above, as does I think the article in the Daily Record. I remember at Slippery Rock we had a rather large contingent of student communications students and volunteers who weren't in the program, but it was broadcast through the power grid throughout the school. Part of the problem with students is of course class load, study load and perhaps work, so even communications students don't always have the time to fully staff a station though it is invaluable experience. That is where volunteers can take up "slack".

Reaching a bigger audience through the airwaves via FM band is invaluable as well for both students and the college. WNTI was able to grow itself through the listening audience who liked what it heard and could perhaps even taken off on its own had the college not held the license (imho of course). They had local underwriters as well, which makes me wonder what "damage" may be done to local businesses who found that the station was a great way to get their name and product out there.

I'll leave it to MAN to describe it in detail as I'm sure he and others know the details.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

Thanks for the clarification. In all of the previous discussion, I only heard about the outside DJ's; there was no mention of the impact this would have on the students and the Communications Department.

Music gal Music gal
Oct '15

WNTI will live on as Internet Radio

"Centenary will retain its on-campus studio and will continue to operate an internet radio station at WNTI.org, and we will develop new opportunities for students to participate in its operation, along with WNTI’s community volunteers."

http://wnti.org/post/statement-centenary-college-10715

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Oct '15

alpha1beta

They had stated that they'd be moving the station to internet-only operations earlier, just not yet said that there would be opportunities for the volunteers.

A coworker who's also a musician mentioned to me this afternoon that he felt the way this whole thing came about really shocked him and mentioned about the "tribute" at the Lackland Center and while we were talking about the years we've been listening to the station I told him that I thought that the location of the tribute/demonstration was a mistake, I also thought that the college missed a huge opportunity to actually increase enrollment, etc. in their Communications Dept.

This would be done by touting the station even more as a station reaching thousands of loyal listeners where one can gain experience under the tutelage of experienced instructors and work side by side with the volunteers, who would work with them to the point where they could do solo shows. I'm pretty sure the volunteers would have been doing that already to some extent (perhaps much more than I'm aware of) would have been glad to do that, since the students were already interning with them. An internet station is nowhere near the same thing as an FM station. While the physical operation is the same, the effectiveness of an FM station is currently much greater than that of an internet-only station. The combined effectiveness is of course greater than the sum of the parts. You can be traveling thousands of miles away and still get that piece of your home area and find out what's going on and allay any homesickness you may be feeling.

As far as the tribute/demonstration goes, unless this is sanctioned by the college itself, which I doubt. as it's not on their twitter or facebook pages, I think the organizers are making a mistake by entering what is private property that is open to the local community by the grace of the college itself. The parking lot is posted that it's under video surveillance and that trespassers will be prosecuted. People are normally welcome there for valid events sponsored by the college and to use facilities that are open to the public for valid research, study and advertised programs.

The primary aim and goal of the college is to provide for the safety and education of its students who pay the college based on that principal. Because of that, and the fact that the possible traffic involved goes through the main parking lot in front of a residence hall it is quite likely that campus and/or Hackettstown PD may choose to close that entry to the campus for all but those with student IDs and/or ask people to leave rather than loitering and trespassing on the campus.

In my own opinion, any peaceful demonstration should be based on public property in front of the Seay Administration building, at which point the HPD may decide traffic and safety issues to close it down and/or the parking lot on Grand and the sidewalk on Grand, also which will be subject to HPD's judgement as to safety. On campus demonstrations should be done by registered students ONLY and NOT by members of the public. If there were enough students and faculty members were also on board, a human chain from the parking lot to the Lackland Center could be formed by which flowers, etc. could be delivered from the parking lot OFF campus to the Lackland Center and no laws would be broken and there would be no invasion of the campus prompting repercussions by the Centenary administration.

These are all my own opinions and ideas as to how to go about this in a legal and orderly manner and I think that a human chain, especially if covered by media, would be a powerfully touching message and tribute to the station.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

While I, as a 20 year listener am very upset at the way this was done with no warning or public discussion, etc. I know that the Trustees believe this is the way they need to go to keep Centenary College viable, competitive and relevant force in the coming years. Personally I don't think this was the road to go, and most especially the way to go about it, but it's not my decision to make, nor is the weight of that decision and its outcome my burden to bear! That will all be on the Trustees and the Administration.

While the facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/centenary.college

statement on their page states "We cannot disclose the identity of the new station operator until the details of the transaction are finalized. We intend to share more information as soon as we can make it available, which will probably be near the end of October." I think it will be shown to have something to do with:

http://www.centenarycollege.edu/cms/en/news-events-announcements-index/news-article/article/centenary-college-trustee-norman-worth-to-be-honored-with-the-van-winkle-award/

Can you see a connection there, perhaps WRNJ?

Oh I have many questions, but I'm shutting up for now except to say that at least someone experienced in broadcasting helped make the decision, but seriously, locking out DJs with no warning, etc.? For shame. IMHO, he should have known better.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

While I have no doubt WRNJ is profitable and their owner is an astute businessman. If he and the other members of the board colluded on this to benefit one of their own, it would be at best unethical. Then again I have not listened to WRNJ in a very long time even though I have lived in the area over 30 years. (Not counting the times it has been on at the barber shop, or while in a local business.)

I hope this is wild speculation.

Then again when a public resource is surreptitiously closed and no facts are given, you should expect rumors.

I guess i will be re-instating Sirius in my car, I hate sending money to a remote corporation but refuse to deal with folks in a manner I consider unethical.

Agust Agust
Oct '15

I'm not speculating, just putting it out there that one of the Trustees is experienced in broadcasting and essentially owns stations that were local competitors to WNTI insofar as underwriting (advertising). He's apparently quite involved with, and benevolent to, the community at large and may very well been the person that will be remembered as the person who was forward-thinking and helped pull the college's fat out of the fire, so to speak.

It may turn out to be that he found an excellent match to the college and community. I don't know, but I'm just saying that I have a lot of questions as to how the operation was carried out and what went on behind the scenes. It doesn't sit well to me that the same people that built the station with the college's blessing and that essentially made it the success it was through hard work, fundraising, etc. are the ones that were B-slapped.

We'll find out in approximately 3 weeks when everything may have "cooled down" and the college announces the details of the transaction.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

Phil, just guessing here but believe you you may be right that Norman Worth may have been instrumental in the decision to sell the license. That being said, something doesn't make sense as some have said that the College is experiencing financial difficulties and their statement says that the proceeds of the sale will be re-invested in academic programs for existing and future students. I do not know the whole story but something doesn't smell right. MAN mentioned a number of 2 million dollars, not sure if that is correct but seems like a big number for NPR to pay for a license. I assume since it is NPR it should be commercial free thus limiting any ad revenue. I also think that the timing of the Van Winkle Award Norman Worth is receiving may just be a coincidence. It is open to the Public and all the Board of Trustee's will be the there and possibly lead to some not happy with the decision to show up and make their voice's heard. I hope that doesn't happen. Just my thoughts.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '15

kb2755

Yes, there's a lot of coincidence there at the timing of both that and the opening of the new "Social Media Center". I'm definitely NOT trying to besmirch Mr. Worth in any way, though I must admit that rereading my latest posts some may interpret it that I was trying to infer something negative. My only issue is that he, above all the other Trustees who had no radio experience (at least not to my knowledge) should have pushed the other Trustees not to let it go down the way it did. Perhaps he argued to NOT let it go down as a lockout, I don't know, I wasn't there, but I imagine he may have been the one to try to go the "high road".

I will say this though, I think I know what IS going to happen, based on what's been going on at certain websites, in real life and a document I found online a short time ago, but I don't know if I should let that "not so wild speculation" or what I'd call a result of "research and deduction" out of the bag. I will say that I think the college is the one that was approached, mainly for their combined NJ & PA potential or estimated audience of approximately 575,000 people. The place that the funding would come from does "have" that amount in a manner of speaking lol.

Just as you mention, I do also hope that NO demonstrators show up at the awards to mar the giving of an award for what amounts to a Lifetime of benevolence and achievements. I think that he may be thanked in the long run for likely being able to make sure that, when approached, the college got every penny of what the station is worth to the people who will be leasing the license. I say that due to his experience in the broadcast industry re: WRNJ.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

NPR is not taking over the 91.9 dial number. It will be another station that wants to use the 91.9 tower as a kind of range extender for their station. They may, like WNTI, be in some way affiliated with NPR (certain shows, news at the top of the hour) but it is not NPR itself. Apparently they were willing to pay 2 million dollars for the opportunity, and Centenary took the money.

eperot eperot
Oct '15

eperot

No, not NPR, but yes someone that works as a partner. I guess you could call it a "range extender" of sorts. It will help the overall coverage area of something. At least if I am correct and looking at all the data, I'm pretty sure I'm correct;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

How about sharing the data you've found or the document that's the smoking gun?

Btownguy Btownguy
Oct '15

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101595972&formid=324&fac_num=9759

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '15

It's just another example of radio and newspapers becoming less and less local, for money making reasons.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

32 members on the Board of Trustees.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '15

If anyone who loved WNTI and is upset about the takeover - and manner in which it has been handled - please join the community who share your feelings - on Facebook -

Protest Centenary's WNTI Takeover.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1084895108187719/1085999021410661/?notif_t=like

Lots of good people, everything is still unfolding, but the more the better!

Thanks and have a peaceful day.

What will my husband do for his WNTI t-shirts now !

Oct '15

I've got two WNTI t-shirts. I'll still wear them.

"That Thing With Rich Appel" is doing well. I've heard it on my PC and really enjoy it.

The show is drawing positive comments from several states, so I can see Rich has done what you need to do, to survive in today's media world --- he's gone national.

Maybe one of the local stations can start picking it up. Would WRNJ ever admit they made a mistake?

http://www.thatthingshow.com/

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Dear admins
please let me post this event because I bought 15 promo slots on wnti for this pet benefit show and they went dark after only a few aired. I really think this is of interest to the community and serves as a chance to meet up with other music/dog lovers.

"Please come support live local music, NTI folks and save dogs/cats. 11th Hour Rescue Fest 10-18 Stanhope house 4-9:30 pm 3 nj orig alt bands, 1 Grateful Dead Tribute band. EHRdogs.org for tix and info"

Thanks and hope to meet many new friends there
Kevin Kevmo Tracy

kevmo kevmo
Oct '15

10-18 means Oct. 18?

I've copy edited thousands of these kinds of announcements. I always use the month by name --- not everybody knows off the top of their head that October is the 10th month of the year.

Just trying to help you.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

kevmo

If you haven't tried already, see if you can post it on the calendar too.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

The license was sold to WXPN, which is owned by UPenn...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2015/10/wxpn_to_take_over_centenary_co.html#incart_river_home

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

I guess Centenary is following me no matter where I go, as I just moved 3 miles up from UPenn.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Oct '15

If I can listen to the Penn Quakers' basketball games in the Big Five from the Palestra, that would be cool.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

It could be worse I guess, since the most likely network to take it over seemed to be the former NJN radio network that was split up, with half going to NY Public radio. They have a station in Netcong that weakly covers a bit of the area, but to have been able to be able to "serve" the listening public of NJ all the way out into PA would have been quite the coup for them. The study I saw had shown just that as part of a possible planned expansion of NJN Radio in 2010, before the assets were dismantled and sold off on govdeals.com and the station licenses, etc. were sold to NYs network.

I'll miss the jazz part, but we'll see what happens, including whether the FCC will allow the sale after the petition and protest.

There was a post yesterday, stating that because of things "getting around" it was likely there'd be an announcement today, and sure enough, there it is.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

WXPN on 91.9 is good news to me. Great station similar to WNTI but a bit more polished. At least there will be good music still playing on the 91.9 bandwidth and not some other garbage.

rieltime rieltime
Oct '15

This is probably good news. More polished, more funding.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '15

I can't imagine that a college radio station located at a large university in Philadelphia PA, that all ready has staffing for their programming, is going to do very much to change their all ready successful format and current DJ's.

Maybe they will mention some events in this area, but there isn't likely to be programming that is focused or produced out of this area happening. And any DJ's or talent they hire would have a pretty far drive to Univ of Penn, making that unlikely they are going to be going to this new owner.

More likely, they are just using the frequency to gain bigger market share, while making some general token comments about how they will be looking to be a player in this area music and culture scene. Unlikely- they are just a bit too far based away.

And the Centenary outgoing president comments on the sale are exactly what was expected- a money grab at a tough economic time. Doubtful the sale money will do much for the "economic engine in Warren County" as she claims. (more likely money will go to pay debts and salaries, which are ever rising)

For the Centenary students, I am glad you have a chance to work at WNTI.Org now, perhaps more than you had at the over the airwaves WNTI, but your audience now is a small fraction of what WNTI over the air had. (In other words, make sure you get copies of your air checks- because not many are going to be hearing you on an Internet radio station vs the over the air station your college president just sold)

I am glad it was sold to a public radio entity- so we wont have another Classic rock station or a station catering to 16 year old girls bubble gum music, but overall this is still not going to be good for OUR area.

WRNJ now has a golden opportunity to change some of their somewhat well worn format and programming and capture a much larger audience than they currently have.

To be continued......

Oct '15

+1 for The Rhyme Animal

You said it quite well. I've been listening for the last hour 7-8pm and while I like the music they've been playing, the DJs voice just puts me on edge. I mean no offense to her, but certain voices kind of grate on me & it bothers me to hear that on the radio. It's also of interest to note that the GM of XPN stated that they weren't looking to buy a station, but they were approached BY Centenary with the idea of a deal!

How many times will they mention the local music scene like the Stanhope House, Sherman Theater, NJ Art Center in Morristown, etc. or other events of OUR local interest? Instead we'll get lots of mention of Philly's scene and I definitely would rather ride into NYC than down to Philly, not that it's abysmal or anything, it's not, but still... .

Feel free to send your polite comments to Bob Makin as linked to by Melina Zagra who created the WNTI protest page to let him know WHY you like WNTI, he's a former writer for the Aquarian, which I've been reading since I moved to NJ in1981, but he now writes for Gannett apparently and seems to think that WXPN is the ultimate station. Granted, as I said, so far (while streaming) I liked the music, but he claims that local musicians are reduced to being cover bands in Asbury Park, or at least that's what I read at the time - say WHAT?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1084895108187719/1086301724713724/?comment_id=1086595021351061&notif_t=like

Bob Makin's page directly:

https://www.facebook.com/bob.makin/posts/10153603484516125?fref=nf

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

According to the WNTI.org Facebook page, the new station will be a repeater of WXPN. So I wouldn't expect any local programming.

What a shame. I will really miss the local vibe of WNTI. I didn't realize how very fond I'd gotten of the DJs (even the ones that sort of annoyed me), until they were gone.

I'm glad I didn't break my usual procrastination habit and send in my membership check early this time.

Aquarius Aquarius
Oct '15

Here is a link that is somewhat informative and answers some questions. http://www.xpn.org/about-xpn/press-room/pr-2015/public-radio-station-wnti-hackettstown-nj-is-purchased-by-philadelphia-public-radio-station-wxpn

rieltime rieltime
Oct '15

Thanks for the link, rieltime. That Q&A section did address some questions.

Aquarius Aquarius
Oct '15

Friday October 30, 2015 marks a new beginning for WNTI with the launch of WNTI.org Internet Radio From Centenary College.

Please join us for a celebration and ribbon cutting ceremony from 5:00pm to 6:00pm in the parking lot of the Lackland Center.
The event is being coordinated by John Kennedy of Kennedy Events Services in cooperation with Centenary College.

This event will be open to the public and include members of the press and the greatest way to launch the new wnti.org!

PLEASE SHARE THIS POST! WE WANT TO FILL THE PARKING LOT WITH SUPPORTERS OF WNTI.org !!!

Can't wait, you guys are so deserving of being heckled! The way you treated the staff of the radio station dismissing them the way you did. Be prepared to be ridiculed.The parking lot will be filled, but not with the crowd your hoping for.

Sara jean Sara jean
Oct '15

Oh Sara Jean, I hope not! I know many others share the bad feelings about how this was handled, but many also share the feeling that we want to honor the legacy of WNTI, and the terrific people that made it so great - and loved.

If the people this affected the most can rise up, and meet the new challenges facing them, with dignity, and class, then I (and many loyal listeners & volunteers) will show up, to demonstrate to the decision makers at Centenary, that we're a classy group too.

The outrage stemmed from feeling personally hurt by the way this was handled. I believe it is always a more productive choice, to encourage positive efforts, rather than engage in more negativity and finger pointing.

Come celebrate new beginnings with some fabulous people!

What happened with all the t-shirts that were put together for the fundraiser that never was?

Oct '15

To anyone interested in supporting this new venture, come to the Lackland Center on Friday October 30th at 5:oopm.

Here's the latest:

http://www.njarts.net/radio/celebratory-event-planned-for-oct-30-launch-of-online-radio-station-wnti-org/

I loved being able to write or call to Mike Waterston and ask for Grateful Dead songs on his Saturday show. WNTI was a awesome radio station. It was awesome.

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Oct '15

Honestly, the whole thing sucks, I really don't care about what is going on in Philly. I miss the local DJ's

Sad Man
Oct '15

Yeah, the whole thing does suck. I've been listening to WPXN - it's fine, but it's not local and it's not unique. I miss WNTI! I don't have much opportunity to listen online, unfortunately.

Aquarius Aquarius
Oct '15

I've been trying to give pxn a chance...really haven't been impressed. Bee Gee's in the 7:00 hour?! *ugh* I miss the Dawn Bird.

No local flair. No personal touch. The WNTI DJs really cared about their shows, the town, the fans, local events....and most of all the music. Now it's just a lame canned station playing nothing interesting or intriguing.

Oh well....

Oct '15

The one thing that intrigued me was their "election" to decide what was the best year for music.

Maybe we could have fun with that here.

I vote for 1986.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

A unique diverse local radio station has been lost. The people who made it what it was were treated with zero respect. Hardly something to be celebrated by the local community, and what positive efforts are we encouraging exactly?? They should do the BS ribbon cutting ceremony in Philly!

Denis Denis
Oct '15

+1 Denis.

Aquarius Aquarius
Oct '15

Your feelings are shared by many Denis and Aquarius! Believe me!

This celebration - from the words of one of the key organizers - is to honor the legacy of the people who made WNTI so great. They were treated horribly, and loyal listeners want to demonstrate our appreciation of them.

Unfortunately, this decision appears to be a done deal - so WNTI.org is all that's left. It does suck! But again, a lot of people love the WNTI DJ's, and want to be sure they get their moment.

There will still be WNTI Stage - and who knows - maybe as the WXPN personnel realize that they don't have the support of WNTI listeners, it might influence changes in format, and provide a new venue for our local interests.

Trying to be positive for some fabulous people!

voicing/displaying fierce oppostion to the way this was handled *IS* shoing support for the local DJ's

i think a bunch of ex-hippies would know exactly how to mobilize and find creative ways to communicate their displeasure with the college, the philly station (which i for one wil not namme the call letters of,) and the poor way this is being handled,

support comes in many forms, some positive, some not so much, and some in distinctive ways that garner lots and lots of attention.

there is more than one way to skin a cat, so i suggest some skinning sessions be scheduled ASAP.

hard to effect change by standing in a parking lot with a candle, but there may some techniques that are much more effective, actionable, notable, and memorable,

so put on your thinking caps and have at it,

btw, where's erik been? is he ok?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '15

The world of business is cruel in general, but radio especially ... nobody cares what anybody did regarding long-time service and giving --- it is all about profit for today.

WRNJ is celebrating its 40th anniversary next year --- good opportunity to give respect to a lot of local people in the community.

They should invite me to be a part of that celebration, but they won't.

Interesting, on his show yesterday morning, Rev. Frank Fowler explored the semantic origin of the term "burning bridges" ... he said that in war, whenever a unit crossed a bridge, they would burn it, so the troops would not think about any desire to go back.

I sort of did that when I complained on HL about WRNJ letting Rich Appel go, along with his "straight man" Terry Southard, who is a very nice and thoroughly professional guy. I tried to do it in a nice way, but I suppose they have branded me as disloyal, even though all I ever earned there was gas money.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Yes Andy, interesting that you say that, especially since the owner of WRNJ is a trustee of the college and while at first I had questions as to how the "deal" was brokered, etc. and who was the approaching party for the sale, it now was said that Penn was approached by Cent. Col. and they originally weren't looking to buy another station.

While I laud the owner of WRNJ's altruism in the community, it's quite circumstantial that his big competition for ad dollars, aka WNTI has now disappeared as an "over the airwaves" broadcast force. Very convenient, if you ask me.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

Hi Phil! I can see the reasoning behind your hypothesis - but there are a lot of trustees at Centenary, it does not come down to any one vote.

There were many factors in this sale decision, and although I share the loss and frustration of losing my favorite radio station, my relationships with the great friends I have made there, supersedes those feelings.

The college is creating new areas of interest through the new Social Media Marketing Center, and more student involved radio station. This affiliation with the University of PA will allow students an opportunity to intern there. Centenary's growth is an asset to the community, and unfortunately, administrative decisions are tough.

Wow, Phil, if you are correct, that is just so wrong on so many levels.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Oct '15

MAN

I agree with all you say, including that his was only one voice, but unless he recused himself due to having an interest in the decision, his would have been a very influential voice amongst the others. In my own opinion only, that is, since as I noted further above I wasn't there and wasn't privy to any of the discussion between the Trustees.

It just doesn't pass the "sniff test" with me since all was done on the QT, perhaps to derail the possibility of anyone having time to mount a campaign to be able to do anything else or offer any other suggestions on what would accomplish both money for the college and its programs, including the new "media center" with the announcement of being able to "get a degree in tweeting" as well as the announcement of the new "Forensic Science" program, both of which I'm sure could not have likely been established without the sale. That said, I have read in other places that the college was on better financial footing than was claimed for the sale of the station, though that's difficult to believe.

I think the college HAD to go the route because they felt their new programs, etc. would attract more students at a wider level nationally than perhaps they'd been able to and they'd be able to increase enrollment and keep relevant into the 2020's. The way they did it however, especially to the station that had become the voice and to me (and perhaps many others) the best ambassador for both the college and Hackettstown really stunk. I wonder how many people attended Centenary partly based on hearing this cool radio station that reached their listening area or that they heard while driving through NNJ or EPA and thought "Wow, I should check this place out"!

While I always enjoyed the view through the seasons back in the 80's of the look of that "golden dome" atop the Seay Building as I'd travel down Rt. 46W, I never really paid attention to what it was until I heard the radio station and realized that there was a college there and it wasn't some other edifice.

In somewhat of a twist on the words from the movie "Videodrome", "Death to WNTI radiowaves, long live the new flesh"! I wish the new format well. I can tell you though, listening to it now on my hearing protectors while mowing this weekend, all I could think of was "besides the half decent music, what relevance does this station now have for me". The Philly broadcast of their weather and their fundraising and their traffic and local events meant essentially nothing to me.

So I likely will part from 91.9 FM with a heavy heart, won't patronize the underwriters, or contribute to fundraisers unless they DO have some kinds of noticeable changes because now, besides the music, the station is an unfamiliar "intruder". I wish WXPN well, and I definitely wish the college well even more so. I'd have loved to have had the opportunity to go there. If I had anything like that kind of money, I would have made a counteroffer for the station, just to keep it in the area and relevant to the community and broadcast serving area, but alas, I definitely do not.

"it is what it is", as they usually say. As my Grandma would also add, "So it is".

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

Yeah Phil, I hear you - and agree.

I'm just a hopeless optimist - and just a few minutes ago, heard the DJ from XPN say to call the station with info on local artists and events. She went on to say that they want to have a voice for the new North Jersey area they serve.

It isn't WNTI by a long shot, and I keep turning it on and off! But it is new, and I am hopeful that little by little our local needs will be incorporated.

Rock on!

Indeed MAN (whom I imagine I may have seen on fb by another name - LOL) .

Indeed!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

Man
He did recuse himself cast no vote.

kevmo kevmo
Oct '15

Since it is the University of Pennsylvania, I'm willing to give it some time.

After all, ESPN radio allows local stations to have their own shows with local talent --- we'll see what develops.

ESPN Lehigh Valley is great with that, local information --- although they don't do enough for our side of the Delaware River. Guess we aren't a big enough segment of their media market.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

I'm still not at all happy about the loss of "our" WNTI, but XPN is a very good station, so that takes some of the sting out. I will miss the local shows I'd grown accustomed to however, like The Crows Nest, The Boss Hour, Just Jazz and others.

eperot eperot
Oct '15

Heads up music lovers! Willie Nile is coming to the launch WNTI.org celebration

5:00 pm, Friday 30 October!!

Be there or be square!! ;-)

BrotherDog, if you could gather the hippie tribes together, they could try to levitate the Seay Building or the Lackland Center, take your pick.

Ydnew Ydnew
Oct '15

5:00 on a Friday? Are they hoping to attract the unemployed demographic?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

They'll attract the "self-employed independent consultant" market.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

ianimal- thats funny stuff!! (I will assume this is student oriented type of event, hence the "not for prime time" 5pm event.

I am a bit confused as to the celebration of Wnti.Org- Did that website belong to the college at some point and now the former WNTI radio personalities took it over?

Where do they broadcast WNTI.Org from? The same Centenary studios that they used for WNTI 91.9 FM?

How do they make money, or pay anyone from an internet based WNTI.Org? There can't be too much money in that venture to be able to staff it like they could when they were "on the air"- with underwriters(aka- advertisers).

Who is involved with WNTI.Org? The former DJ's? Will they be ultimately funded by listeners or is there someone backing them?

What radio venue now do the Centenary students have to a communications program that now has no over the airwaves presence- and maybe no internet presence?

I read WXPN is going to offer internships to WNTI students- how feasible is that for students that are at least 60 miles from their Phila based studios?

I am sure I will get a few replies to clear it up, I am sure they are questions a few others are thinking also.

Oct '15

Aren't most of Centenary's students long gone for the weekend by 5pm on Friday as well? I

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

WXPN may be planning to make Hackettstown a "branch location," with more and more activity here at Centenary.

They may even schedule some blocks for 91.9 to do local programming, much as the ESPN stations do ... for instance, in Easton you can hear the nationally popular Mike and Mike in the morning, but in the afternoon you get the locally done Happy Hour. On Sunday mornings, they have locally originated shows going on from 7 a.m. until NFL kickoff.

By the way, nobody paid me for this endorsement of ESPN Lehigh Valley(-;

Let us hope WXPN goes in this direction and really takes the time to get to know us here in Hackettstown.

WNTI may have been a little rough around the edges, but it was OUR people.

WRNJ has chosen to go slick and polished, (that's why they have TOM NOTE, LOL) but it is that feeling of "these are OUR people" that makes us want to listen to local radio, instead of the New York or Philly stuff.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Philly is ~ 2 hr 75 mi scelep. No student will go thats why its an empty offer
students use CC studio but no one s interested in old Fasioned broadcast radio.
Cost is minimal way less than 91.9 no fundraiser s needed
This is not a student event its a funeral for 91.9 wnti where great music dies!
The staff will be mostly volenteers djs like before some students
Wnti.org was always the streaming site

kevmo kevmo
Oct '15

Andy I think you are very astute. WXPN doesn't want to alienate the Northern NJ listening audience. It will take some time, but I too believe they will welcome supporting our local artists and activities - and underwriters.

It can be a win-win for all, if people take the time to reach out to WXPN and get to know them, as they get to know us.

Love the positive attitude!

All good questions Rymme Animal for which I would like to know the answers.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '15

Andy L

We need to do more than hope xpn supports local community needs and the FCC requires it to grant a non com liceinse. We need to attend all meeting with xpn & FCC to demand local content.

kevmo kevmo
Oct '15

Yeah, I'll try and stay on top of that.

Meanwhile, regarding local content, I'm happy to have gotten involved with a new website, which I've linked here --- a place where local artists can connect, get their message out, and let us know what is going on --- it is a site that emphasizes local happenings --- they are content to leave the political arguing to HL.

http://www.insidewarren.com/?cat=4

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Not really sure what the FCC can do anymore.

I have a problem with WRNJ being allowed to broadcast the exact same thing over three different frequencies --- one on AM and two FMs. The FCC was created in the late 20s because there was a scarcity of available frequencies. The government had to become the protector of the radio industry's structure, because radio signals were interfering with each other all over the map, threatening to render radio useless.

Now, with satellite radio and the internet, scarcity of frequencies is no longer an issue, and the FCC has no longer been the "media policeman" that it once was.

However, as has been stated already on this thread, more people still get reached via "old fashioned" AM and FM broadcast radio.

Our hope is that WXPN, as the voice of a highly respected academic institution, is aware of our local needs and has a desire to serve them -- in the long run it would help them with revenue streams.

I'm sure someone over there is reading this thread as we speak. If college kids are not tuned in to social media, who is?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Fact Check:

- College aged population is declining across country as baby boomer's children are grown. Trend will continue for at least 5 years until boomers' children kids reach college age.
- Many colleges are expected to not hang on during this decline just as many did not between boomers and their kids attending college in the 80s. Many colleges like Centenary did not hang on through the 80s. Centenary made changes like going coed and adding majors such as criminal justice and business. Centenary will need to make changes in order to survive and thrive until the college age population increases again.
- Money from sale will fund new programs that are in demand which is needed for all colleges to continue.
- WRNJ board member recused himself from vote on sale.
- Centenary president is not "retiring" or even retiring. She is stepping down and returning to faculty, though she was offered much dough to stay.
- Centenary students hold and have held internships in Florida, why not Philly?
- The assets are depreciating and require continued investment.
- Faculty no longer involved in station. Only a few students.

buzzy
Oct '15

Community colleges are where it is at -- accessible and affordable education for people of all ages, with emphasis on skills training to give people education that will put them in jobs -- meet the needs of the workplace.

By the way, 91.9 now has the Geator with the Heater on, Saturday evenings.

I grew up listening to him on Philly radio --- THE BEST D.J. EVER!!

Ha, WRNJ went away from oldies music, fired good people, and now the best oldies D.J. of ALL TIME is taking audience share away from them.

That's Karma -- John Lennon did a song about it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Imho WRNJ has always been cring worthy farmleage radio. Something ide expect in n dakota :-) but to their credit they were honest sincere old school small town radio so thats what u got. They seem to be having growing pains moving on from that,!

kevmo kevmo
Oct '15

They (WRNJ) broadcast from three different frequencies -- so they are looking to reach farther beyond Hackettstown -- the AM signal is all they need to reach Hackettstown proper.

As has been stated above -- how will WRNJ use their extensive FM signal to fill the area-wide void created by the changes at WNTI?

WNTI had lots of listeners (and financial supporters) in Sussex and Morris.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

WRNJ is making some positive moves to smartly move in and fill the void that is left from the WNTI demise.

Besides having imported the "Just Jazz Featuring the Sinatra Hour with Bob Bernotas" on Sundays from 10a-1p, they are now going to have "Value This", the antiques show- with Brian and Leon on Sundays from 1-2p.

I like this direction they are taking (regardless of how it came to this- we can't undo the WNTI sale)- and they are good FIRST steps in widening their audience and rounding out the station, without making it a WNTI clone.

Bringing on a sports show once a week also was a good move. These are locally produced things, exactly the void that WNTI left.

I like radio to engage and entertain me- WNTI did that, WRNJ is getting better at it. More shows like they have imported from WNTI would continue that.

They should even consider bringing in programming formats that did entertain/inform from their very own past (Rich Appel and Doc South to name two- no, they aren't mentioned to dig up the past or rally to rehire them, but to cite two examples of shows/personalities that did that evoke that response in me) to move towards.

Overall, good job WRNJ, reacting to your local audience.

I also will say, since WXPN has taken over WNTI, I have tuned in a few times, to quickly move to something else, just doesn't work for me anymore on 91.9 FM.

When Arbitron calls me for the next rating period (I actually participate in those), WRNJ will be represented well.

Dec '15

Re: Farewell WNTI

WNTI is Alive and Well on the INTERNET and continuing to play the great music they were known for with the same DJs as before (with the exception of 3-4 who moved on to other stations). You can stream the station through your computer, smart phone, or tablet via the Tunein radio app or you can go to their website at www.wnti.org and click on the red listen live button.
It's all live, just as before, no podcasts. Same local advertisers.

Valley Girl 59 Valley Girl 59
Dec '15

I'd listen to the sports show, but I don't want to upset my dear wife.

Funny story -- I had it on one night, while my wife was reading a newspaper (some people still read those things) and she thought I had ESPN on, until a spot came on with Russ Long's voice.

She asked, "did Russ Long get a job at ESPN?" I laughed and said, no, I've got WRNJ on. She then got upset, "they're doing a sports show without you, after all you did for that station" .... on and on ... she really got mad and upset with an intensity I've rarely seen out of her, she's normally a very gentle and sanguine soul..

I would listen to sports and call in, any time, any where, but in all honesty ... she is so upset with WRNJ right now, I'll just have to listen a little bit here and there when she isn't home.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '15

There is a WNTI event at the Stanhope House on 12/20 ... Looks like a great show.

Dec '15

Well Andy, you should tell your wife to read what you post here. You wonder why they weren't busting your door down when they were starting a sports show? I've never heard you say a single positive thing about them on this site.

JustTheFactsGoodSir
Dec '15

You've never READ a positive thing from me about them on this site.

My posts on HL don't have any sound (-;

My wife says I should never post here on anything, for any reason, because it is addictive.

Actually, I did say nice things about WRNJ when Rich Appel was working there, also have been a big fan of Dave Kelber since 1977.

You must have missed the positive things I say about Frank Fowler. Who could possibly not like him?

Yes, there has been a turning point, it happens, but hopefully, nothing ever lasts forever, tomorrow is always a new beginning for everybody.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '15

Actually, I give Andy some credit here for actually holding back on what he COULD say about the inner workings of WRNJ. He worked for them, and while we can certainly tell it did work out too well in the end, he has not really thrown out inside dirt that I am sure he has on how some of the former dispatched talent were dealt with, and of course, the circumstances under which he had to leave.

And, Andy does have some cache- he did write local sports for many years, so if he wants to use this forum to post some radio and media insights, I am glad he does. He was in the media business- something I am only a fan of, and could not make my living from, like he did.

Sure, like my posts sometimes here I am sure to some, he at times gets a little off track, but it takes all kinds to keep the forum interesting. He is always that.

In regards to WNTI.Org, I will be honest, I have not given them a listen. I am glad they somewhat landed on their feet there, but I guess I am too "old school" to listen to a radio station on the internet.

I like to listen to the radio, well, on the physical AM/FM radio- with no need to pay for anything other than batteries for the radio or the time I am in my car listening.

Something about over the airwaves radio that works for me much more without worrying about how much it will eat into my data plan or reliance on cell service to listen. And, if I am out of the area, all the better, plenty of new over the air stations to tune into. (Best to WNTI.Org and those good DJ's they have, may they prosper and find their way back on the air on over airwaves radio)

Dec '15

Basically, I made gas money with WRNJ, not much more than that.

If I'm a good boy, maybe I'll get an opportunity to broadcast some high school basketball, wrestling, and baseball in the future for them ... but I'm not holding my breath.

I won't say who said it, to protect the guilty, but I was told in no uncertain terms, "sports makes people dumber and should not be part of the schools."

The same person said guys like me are "a dime a dozen."

The people I most enjoyed working with, and being mentored by, are gone ... WRNJ's loss.

So, if I sound bitter against WRNJ, yeah ... but it won't ruin my Christmas.

The Pope has made the coming year the Year of Mercy, asking church members to be more merciful and less rigid toward sinners, to rediscover the need to be forgiving and generous. We have a responsibility to be heralds of mercy, to comfort the afflicted, and bear wrongs patiently.

Any fool can criticize. I'll just try, instead, to lead a life that sets a good example for others ... and wait for the day when what goes around comes around.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '15

Looks like the WNTI replacement station WXPN is going to try to find someone to sell advertising in our market:

http://www.xpn.org/about-xpn/jobs/wxpn-jobs-nw-nj-sales-rep

Nothing about WXPN inspires me- so far, as predicted above, they are just another station on the dial that I pass by.

Jun '16

I enjoy The Geator With The Heater ... a guy I've been listening to for many years, but he's only on for an hour a week.

If WXPN puts That Thing With Rich Appel and The Front Porch with Doc South, into their block scheduling, I'll give that selling job a shot.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that they started calling it "91.9 WXPJ". Apparently, they applied to the FCC for a Station name change - I guess the "J" is for "Jersey". Still mostly disappointed in much of what programming I do hear. Children's programming in the early evening isn't for me, for one thing and I really don't need to keep hearing Central & South Jersey weather and Philly traffic. I mean I used to live in the Philly suburbs for a couple of years in High School, but it has no direct bearing on my life now.

WNTI took the place of just about all other radio stations and was always my "Homing Beacon" when returning from a trip. As soon as it could tune it in, I knew I was close to home and was always happy about that. My new station of choice has become WNNJ out of Newton, NJ, even though it has nowhere the reach that WNTI did, it's the best I could find. Not as much music variety and new artists of course, but perhaps we can help change that by emailing them.

Due to the principle involved, I still won't listen to WRNJ, since it seems as though there was too much "dirty pool" going on in the background, but that's only my own opinion and my own choice. I don't wish to influence anyone else. I mean I'm glad that Centenary got a well-needed infusion of money to expand their offerings and gain University status officially, especially since they now will offer a Doctorate in Educational Leadership, with the likelihood (I've read) of a Doctorate in one of the Counseling fields coming next year as well. That reflects well upon the "Golden Dome" in the valley.

I've met a few of the professors there and they're talented and knowledgeable people. I both wish them and the school well. I just miss having WNTI on my radio dial for the music and the on air personalities, though I did miss the days when there was a bit more variety of program from students too, especially in regards to "niche" music or World Music blocks. I don't have much of a chance to listen to WNTI online, which I understand has gone to a bit more student programming (with old DJ and/or instructor oversight), which is very cool, but it makes the loss on the airwaves even greater.

Oh well. as many say "It is what it is", and as my Grandma would add, "So it is";-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '16

WMTR out of Morristown (1250 AM) is my station, now, and their traffic reports apply to our routes around here.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

P.S. Due to lack of job opportunities in Warren County, I've been spending lots of time in Morris the last couple of years.

No "disloyalty" on my part. We just have to go wherever there is a paycheck.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

I hear ya Andy on going East for the jobs. To me this area is a bedroom community unless you own a business, work for a big box store or small business or the big guy: Mars.

Our best and brightest young people are leaving Warren County in droves. There's nothing here for someone with a college education.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

WNTI is now an Internet only radio station. Most all the DJs are still there playing great music. From your smartphone or computer go to www.WNTI.org and click the "listen Live" button or download the TuneIn app and search WNTI.org.
If you don't have a bluetooth technology in your car there are many inexpensive devices that can be used to continue to listen to WNTI.

Well, I'll learn to use whatever gadgets I need to learn, in order to keep working ... but for entertainment, I'm just an old-school radio guy.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Re: Farewell WNTI

It's extremely easy to listen on line our through a Bluetooth device to WNTI.ORG Bluetooth speakers (if you don't already have built in your vehicle) are as little as $20 at Best Buy. They sound great and are more portable than a radio. Streaming uses very little data from your phone plan. Download the TUNE IN app and search for WNTI. It comes right up and you can bookmark it to your favorites. WNTI Stage is July 15, 16, 17. Same location, Knowlton Lions Club Pavilion on Rt. 46 in Delaware, NJ. Come out for a terrific weekend of exceptional music, food & merchandise vendors, beer & wine, and free parking. www.wntistage.org for info and advance ticket sales.

Melanie Thiel Melanie Thiel
Jun '16

I now listen to WNTI through my smartphone and Bluetooth on in the car. Can now listen to it all the way to Trenton and when driving into the Catskills to fish. Looking forward to listening to decent music while in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado where my only options used to be switching between canned programming of country music and local preachers trying to save my immortal soul.

Miss the NPR news, but am get that fix from the NPR national site or BBC site's now which also have internet presence. Personally I think the streaming music quality is better, though I find I need to turn my car volume a little higher to achieve the same volume as I get from the airwaves.

The music still lives here in our little town, it just lives on the internet instead of the airwaves.

Agust Agust
Jun '16

I travel a lot both nationally and internationally and like to bring WNTI with me. In fact, I was in Germany when I heard that they were off the air.

I have an older car that I added an AUX port to in order to connect to my phone. In newer rentals, I usually connect via the built-in Bluetooth. When I'm in a hotel room, I either attach my phone or laptop to the alarm clock's AUX-in, play directly on my laptop, or connect to a little Bluetooth speaker that I sometimes bring with me.

At home, I either stream from my tablet or through an old laptop that now has permanent duty as a streaming interface to my main stereo. When I'm outside working on the yard or a construction project, it's a Bluetooth headset and my phone

I completely understand that this isn't as familiar as an FM radio, but I think people pick up the streaming habit quickly once they get started.

That little bit of "portable home", not to mention the great music selection and knowledgeable DJs, is a real comfort on the road.

P.S. If you haven't connected since WNTI went off the airwaves, come to WNTI Stage on July 15, 16 & 17 to reconnect with your old (especially in my case) entertainment family.

Street Team Dwight Street Team Dwight
Jun '16

WNTI is alive and well!! Streaming at WNTI.org or on any smartphone radio APP (e.g. StreamLicensing or TuneIn). Same DJs, same programming.

gary alt gary alt
Jun '16

Miss you all everyday!!

Kim Schad Kim Schad
Jun '16

I agree. After listening to WNTI for decades I'm less than impressed with the new version. I gave it a shot but simply don't feel it.

It's over Johnny.....

I don't have a smart phone, since I work next door to home but I have my house and my work both set up to listen through my laptop. I even have it going through my old receiver. Being "old school" just deprives you of all the great music and your favorite deejays. I'm grateful for the opportunity to still have WNTI.org and the technology to still listen to it!

CC Puntorno CC Puntorno
Jun '16

Stopped listening a while ago, music just wasn't the same. Miss the old WNTI.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

I listen to some radio over the internet from Baltimore, simply because I keep up with their sports teams, but I doubt an old dog like me will ever become a habitual internet radio listener just to relax and enjoy music.

Funny, I enjoy You Tube for music, because anytime I think of a song I haven't heard for a long time --- there it is.

Talk about your instant gratification.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

We totally miss tuning in to 91.9 WNTI. Streaming just isn't the same...and definitely not convenient.

We've tried the new station - but overall, it doesn't even come close. WNTI was a real loss to the listening area.

Jun '16

Life is too Short to Listen to Bad Music.

I will go to any length to continue to listen to my favorite DJs who are still playing great music at WNTI.org.

1. My Christmas and Birthday Presents were 2 internet radios by Grace Digital. One plays through my existing stereo (a Bose) and connects to my home internet. I can listen to wnti.org, Sirius, Pandora and any number of internet/satellite radio stations. The second is a stand alone internet radio with its own speaker. It connects to my home internet just like the other model. Both come with a remote control and provide the exact same experience of listening to WNTI on the radio. I wake up in the morning, press the remote "on" and there is the Dawnbird playing great music.

2. The car can be tricky. Not as convenient as turning on the radio, however, there are inexpensive devices that will allow you to stream your smartphone through your car stereo. I am fortunate to drive a car that allows me to stream through my Bluetooth or plug into a media cable in my armrest. I have not run into any issues of running out of data on my phone as a result of streaming while driving around day to day.

3. Early on I bought an inexpensive bluetooth device that plugs into a stand-alone am/fm radio and allows me to stream my wnti thru my phone or tablet and have it play through the speaker of the radio.

4. While at work, I stream WNTI through my laptop - just as I did when they were still broadcasting as an FM station.

Very little has changed with WNTI.org. The musical format is the same and nearly ALL DJs/programs are still there including (Trevor B. Power, The Crow's Nest, The Dawnbird, Spider Glenn, Katie-O, Amy the Rock and Roll Doctor, Dogbites, The Boss Hour, Crossroads, Cableman Dan, Front Porch Sessions, Gonzo Country, Al B, Anything Alternative, Johnny D, Brad T, Down in Front, Suppertime Stew,
Death Valley Radio, The Golden Gup, Lloyd Jones, Uncle Pete, The Knife Edge, Rick from Randolph, Slightly Mad, Keller's Cellar, Little Steven's Underground Garage, Blue Grass Review, Value This, Contours
Playing music on the internet is no different than their former FM broadcast - these are not podcasts or pre-taped music with filler.

The only programs/DJs no longer with WNTI.org are: NPR News, Bob Bernotas with Just Jazz, Sinatra and Big Bands (but you can find him on WRNJ now), Carol Bernotas with Six Degrees, Greg Lewis with Rocket Science.

Nothing could have prevented Centenary from selling the FM antenna/station. The WNTI DJs rallied and decided to give Internet Radio a try. They hope that their fans will make the adjustment and continue to listen to WNTI.org - where great music still lives! It's an awfully quiet world without them.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.