No power, no worries :)

No power, no worries :)

Finally getting this bad boy setup after the hurricane scare

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Oct '15

Connected to natural gas?

iJay - The natural gas pipe is right there to the left of the picture. A unit like that doesn't run on gasoline.

It will be Jay, just not finished yet. I should get the piping roughed in for inspection this week. Just gotta find a competent electrician to wire the 200amp transfer switch. And it converts to propane with the flip of a switch if natural isnt available in your area. Its also best not to oversize the unit, will just create a higher gas bill if it runs for long periods. Ill be powering my whole house with 14kw. Its actually 13kw when fired with ng

Oct '15

Welcome to the Generac club!! Nothing like knowing you're good to go when the power goes out... which seems to happen quite often these days!

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '15

Yeah, seriously its so nice to not have to worry anymore

Oct '15

Figure about 2 gal of propane an hour that unit will burn make sure there is no windows above unit code violation I'm a certified generac tech I performed warranty work on those for awhile wish you the best of luck change the oil!

It's natural gas , so quite a bit cheaper to run tj. And my company has a few guys certified with generac :)

Oct '15

That is freakin sweet! But definitely out of my current price range. I am getting the natural gas in my house now, plumber is finalizing the piping and installing the conversion. I will have the boiler, a stove, and a fireplace. I plan on doing the HW heater next year.

Darrin Darrin
Oct '15

You are all set unless we get an earthquake :)

And they didn't tell you to buy a kohler
!

Well atleast the gas line and electrical will keep it on a leash so it cant go far during our next earthquake. And congrats Darrin natural gas is very useful. Even have it hooked up to my grill

Oct '15

Brand does not matter the engines are all made by generac in a small town

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Oct '15

I don't believe Kohler uses engines made by Generac...

No doubt kohler is better, but a brand new generac 14k with whole house 200 amp transfer switch for 1400$? Yes please! Haha

Oct '15

Yea you can't beat that and generac makes there own engines

Kohler would be 2-3 times more, sounds like a good price. What is your total expenditures installed?

Gonna be about 2700$ total

Oct '15

Kohler nice but can't beat that generac price. Be sure to get that professional service by a platinum dealer. Given the recalls and nuances, it's good to have massive experience. Generators are high strung beasts.

Years later, once a week my wife and I smile, simultaneously say "ahhhhhh" as the test cycle hits.

Wish I could get nat gas; put one in for Mom, much better run price.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '15

How did you get a $2500 generator for $1400?

Homeowner Homeowner
Oct '15

The prices discussed here seem very low to me. I quoted a permanently installed system and it was much more then the numbers I see here. I ended up with a portable and a interlock. Its been used 2 hours in 2 years.

sack
Oct '15

Homeowner, im just wondering where you can get one of these for 2500$? Lowest price i seen was 3k without the transfer switch... my company used to sell them, they now sell ge due to better warrenty, and a bit cheaper. So i got an employee deal on stock that was never gonna move. When you buy one of these your looking at about 9-11k depending on the installation location for turn key. I picked up the unit, made the pad (as per generac requirements) and will be installing the gas line my self. That's saving a few thousand at the starting line.

Dont get me wrong i would never pay anywhere near full price for one, absolutely not worth it... tri fuel is a much better and simpler option.

Oct '15

The one major plus, if you can get a killer deal on a standby unit is your house value will go up

Oct '15

Wow, $1400? If I had had that option I would have gone with that. I had a 10 circuit panel, outside power inlet, and transfer switch installed the summer after the Halloween snowstorm. I got a portable 5500W generator the Sunday of Sandy. Total cost was $1700. It runs two furnaces, septic pump, half the lights, tv, internet, sump, and the garage doors.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '15

That's really all you need, nuce and simple. Also get alot if runtime with a few gallons of gasoline. Propane burns like water when running a generator

Oct '15

True. Used about 5-6 gallons of gas running the generator from ~8AM until ~10PM. Because FiOS never went down and we have satellite TV, we actually had internet and TV almost the entire time.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '15

Re: No power, no worries :)

next house i buy, i am going with solar all the way. and, i will be getting one of these bad boys. probably by that time, solar will be much cheaper than it is now. a house fully off the grid sounds fantastic to me. that is a tesla powerwall. about 3500 to buy.

jfdagreat
Oct '15

Purchased a 5500W portable and installed a 4-wire inlet at the main panel through a manually switched 30 Amp breaker for about $475 total with free delivery and no sales tax.
It runs the 240v water pump, refrigerator, lights, TVs, computers, and furnace circulator. Had one outage in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, for a total of 155 hours (9 days for Sandy).
Takes about 10 min to push the generator outside, gas up, connect the power cable, and go. Why spend thousands to protect against such rare occurrences?

Dr. Pipes Dr. Pipes
Oct '15

If you can't afford or don't want the noise and trouble of a generator, spend a hundred or so on an inverter, a good extension cord and a cheap plug-in three outlet adapter.

No, you won't power the whole house, but you can run a couple CFL or LED floor lamps, a modem and your computer (especially if its a laptop.)

This guy provides good, and well-researched, information. I did pretty well during the 5-6 days I was without power during Sandy. The website design isn't great, but engineers can't be good at everything.

http://www.solar1234.com/

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Oct '15

I hear you drpipes, thats all you need. There are a lot of advantages with permanent gen sets. Especially for elderly that cant drag around a portable. Like i said earlier they are a big plus to have connected when selling a house. You'll get some money back.

Oct '15

Gas line done. Anyone know of a competent electrician that would be interested in installing the transfer switch.

Oct '15

Andy, Ultimate electric. He's out of Long Valley. Does great work, neat and clean. He's done several projects for us. 9086384340.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '15

Ill give him a call, thank you

Oct '15

Wires in Hackettstown "wired" up mine, did a great job.

Hi Folks,

I did a search and this thread came up but it's on the older side... does anyone know of a local place that repairs/services generac portables? The generac site is coming up with places 50 miles out even though I asked for 10 and then 25 miles from 07828 so that is as busted as my generator.

GP7500e dead, doesn't even pretend to try to work even with a pull start, battery is charged, gas and oil levels good, hubby checked the fuses, etc.

Thanks!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Jul '16

Do you need factory service to preserve a warranty? If not there are several small engine places in and near town

skippy skippy
Jul '16

It is no longer under warranty, but we'd like someone reliable and who knows what they're doing so I was hopeful someone at HL had a recommendation.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Jul '16

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/639976

caged animal "Franks generator service 908 459 5486 tell him you were recommended by the erohs in mt lake"

skippy skippy
Jul '16

dadogmomma - we have a Generac standby generator which we bought and have serviced by Black River Electrical, 973-584-9749 (Chris). I believe they are still in Hackettstown and in fact, Chris has some relation to Tracy's Candy on Main St. I would call and see if they, or someone they recommend, can do your service.

thinkingoutloud thinkingoutloud
Jul '16

Thank you! I will give him a call, so annoying to do everything we are supposed to with it and have it not work when we needed it.
And that reminds me I need to get to Tracy's... chocolate dipped oreos are calling.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Jul '16

Thanks Skippy! I didn't see that response come up before! So good to have a few good people in your pocket for these things!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Jul '16

What it's all about

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Air group does Generac repairs.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jul '16

Thanks again everyone. Chris at Black River was great! They're busy but honest and good guys. Worth the wait!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Aug '16

I know all the posts in here have been about portable gas fired units and installed propane fired ones, but does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with installed diesel fired units? I had a dream for a while about installing a diesel fired generator and a 500 gallon tank. My car, truck and tractor are diesel so it can never hurt to have a lot laying around. And if I put a pump on it and use it instead of going to the station, it will keep the fuel rotated so I won't really have to deal with the fuel going bad or anything...

Just wondering if anybody has a diesel fired unit and how happy they are with it. If money were no option is go Cat, but hey, if money were no option I would have done this already...

Brendan Brendan
Aug '16

Brendan
why would you pay the road tax on fuel for a diesel generator?

FranksNBeans
Aug '16

Yes a have a diesel greatest thing ever good on fuel you can always find so diesel fuel .forget those propane ones they burn thru 250 gal tank in a few days I can run a month on that

Tunit
Aug '16

FrankNBeans- because the amount of fuel used by the generator should be minuscule compared to the amount of fule used by the truck and car... I'll be paying the road tax as opposed to having to rotate (or treat and rotate) fuel around...

Tunit- what generator set do you have?

Brendan Brendan
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.