The Firewood Thread

I searched through all of the old threads, but they were a few years old! I am looking for seasoned rounds with delivery. Does anyone know of a place to contact with fair prices that doesn't just have fully split?

Kitkat87 Kitkat87
Sep '15

I too am looking for an updated review of local very seasoned firewood delivery. Can anyone recommend ? Need 2 cords delivered.

just coach just coach
Oct '15

How about Tims Timber 908-850-1437

I have used Tim's Timber with good results. 908 850 1437

mack
Oct '15

Anyone else ? tim timber only cuts 16-18 inches. We need 12-16 inch size pieces. Appreciate your help.

Just coach Just coach
Oct '15

try calling Todd Nykun 973-219-8056

Connoly
Oct '15

Pat at North Jersey Arborcare 908-343-4401

just saying is all
Oct '15

Got my wood from Pat at North Jersey Arborcare! Great wood, great price!

Kitkat87 Kitkat87
Oct '15

Pat has good wood!!!!!

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '15

Can you tell me how much North Jersey Arborcare charges for a cord of wood?

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Oct '15

Pat has taken 4 huge trees down on my property,very honest excellent work-check with him.North Jersey Arborcare++++++

whatsup
Oct '15

took 4 big trees down? what will you do with them?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '15

We found this person on a prior thread. Unfortunately I can't remember his name but the phone is 908-684-4310. He is in Independence and cuts to order. Just got a delivery and the wood burns great!

HF456 HF456
Oct '15

That number is for Harold Justens Jr. We just used him as well. Gives you a bit more then a cord for $235. Burns clean. Good mix.

Oct '15

Thanks CBB Yes it was a nice cord for the price!

HF456 HF456
Oct '15

Here you go Mr. / Ms. Moderator!!:
BTW, who runs/ moderates HL anyway? Such a secretive venue, no?

"Other than suggestions on previous postings, does anyone know where we can buy a 1/4 cord of firewood (32 cubic feet)?? Any idea what the general cost for that amount?"

Clarioncall Clarioncall
Nov '15

The places mentioned should do 1/4 cord. There are other threads as well if you check the forum search.

That amount might be justt about right for Hendershots. At the end of Allen Road across the road, just past the single lane under pass, they are always selling firewood. They may be able to deliver, not sure. 908-852-1646

Darn, GC. You are truly a fund of great information on this HL. Really appreciate, yet again, your input. Will share with my husband and hopefully we will find a good price.

Clarioncall Clarioncall
Nov '15

Free firewood. Tree service took down a large tree and smaller and left a mess.

Harold Justnes referred by this thread just delivered almost a cord and a half of great wood cut to the specifics I needed for my wood burning stove. Also his wood is protected under a roof and he delivered it at a time I needed it delivered. An easy guy to work with . 908-684-4310. Also does snow plowing and landscaping with very reasonable prices.

just coach just coach
Nov '15

Harold came by today and the wood is great! Totally plan on using him again. It's burning beautifully!

ladeevee ladeevee
Jan '16

I am in need of 4 - 5 cords of spilt hard wood for a wood burning stove - it can be green wood as I\we have all summer till I will need it - anyone know someone who does large deliveries to Liberty...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Apr '16

Liberty Thinker. Did you call Harold J. I am sure he can accommodate your need. See above.

Apr '16

Bump for fall 2016. This Harold J up and running? Any new firewood sources?

No thespian
Sep '16

Yes Harold is ready to go. Just ran into him yesterday and he said whenever we are ready he is ready.

Sep '16

Sweet. Thanks bob!

No thespian
Sep '16

Any updates - I've left messages for the Hendershots but haven't heard back yet - I need a bit under 1/4 cord delivered.........
Thanks in advance.

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '16

anybody got trees down that can be used for firewood?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Nov '16

AMC Landscaping can help you out. Adam-(908) 391-5878.. just helped me. Great guy with great service and prices.

LuLu22 LuLu22
Nov '16

Adam took over for my previous law service. Been very happy but didn't know he can also get firewood. Good to know, thanks.

Adam's an attorney now, too? Good to know (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

HArrold delivered the only dry wood I've ever bought around here.

No thespian
Dec '16

ianimal - his predecessor is now in law enforcement, so is that so hard to believe? Lawn care might have more overhead in equipment but the hourly these days isn't so far off... ;-)

+1000 for Harold.

Dec '16

ordered from Adam - will report back if anyone is curious

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '16

No call. No show. I left 2-3 messages. Ugh

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '16

A very big thumbs up to Josh - who delivered 1/4 cord this morning and helped me move some of it----Very responsible, responsive, and just a damn nice guy --josh 973 309 6280
Thank you Mike for supplying his name and number

4catmom 4catmom
Dec '16

Another vote for Harold Justnes (908-684-4310). $235 for slightly more than a cord (approx 1 1/4 cord). Called today and he delivered 2 cords this afternoon. Great service. Friendly guy. Stores the wood under a covered building so it is ready to go. Thanks for the recommendation CraftBeerBob.

Nancy Nancy
May '17

Just wanted to bump this and thank Harold for a sweet delivery this morning of DRY wood. $235. I stacked it tightly and it's more than a cord. Probably about 1 and 1/5th. See you again next year Harold!

No thesbian
Sep '17

Hey does anyone know of someone that sells cheap campfire wood-size not specific and at least some pine mixed in would be preferred-I'd certainly take all pine as well?

info. info.
Sep '17

I won't be ordering from Josh this year.............The pieces were very big - and not all seasoned ----- Hopefully all we could't use last year will burn well this year. I should have said no thanks when I saw the size of the pieces in the the truck--- just didn't think fast enough...

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '17

info.

I doubt anyone would sell pine as firewood

Jeeze...A cord of wood is $235....I burn 4-5 cords a year, primary heat in my house. Good thing I have 40 acres! Had no idea, I always get my own wood

Darrin Darrin
Sep '17

It's usually in the $200 range (and remember, these are delivered prices) but after getting burned (no pun intended) by green wood in the past, I know Harold is a sure bet. If that means a $35/cord premium, I'm willing to pay that. There's nothing worse than paying for firewood that doesn't burn.

No thespian
Sep '17

Hey Darrin, we've spent a lot of time out west and you'd be amazed at the amount of people that don't just burn pine outdoors but inside as well-they burn it hot as heck and apparently have no problems-one guy mentioned that there are lots of places around this country without lots of hardwoods available-that never occurred to me.

I've been super busy this year and most of my good wood is not ready yet-hence the search for some cheap pine for the bonfire. Usually there are a few guys selling pine on CL but this year not so much-I hear lots of people are grabbing all the pine they can to stoke their outdoor furnaces when their chunk wood is really wet.

info. info.
Sep '17

Pine is not a hardwood so actually quite common to be sold. The big problem though is that it takes a good long time to cure. In PA you can get plenty of pine but you have to be really sure of the source otherwise it's going to pop like crazy.

pine is ok to burn, honestly i think it's gotten a bad rap around here for some reason.

anyone got trees down in their yards that can be used for firewood? or standing dead trees that need attention?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '17

I thought the reason not to burn pine was because of the build up of creasote in the chimney which could cause a fire inside?

hot fires don't collect as much creosote, cold fires, no matter what wood you burn allow more creosote to collect in the chimney lining,

if you get your fires hot enough it's not an issue.

plus you should be cleaning your chimney on a set schedule, during winter i brush mine out once a month

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '17

Pine,
Less Btu / volume.
You will need much more pine to get the same amount of heat than hickory.
Dry, seasoned wood ( all kinds) is a necessity.
If ordering wood, order it the summer before so you know that it is seasoned, and stack it properly.
Wet wood is a killer. Phase change of water/steam uses so many BTU that much of the heat energy is lost. Dry pine is better than wet hickory all day long.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/phase.html

Dodgeball Dodgeball
Sep '17

Just got a delivery from Harold Justnes. Beautiful dry wood and I couldn’t be happier.

NJDad NJDad
Oct '17

Another vote for Harold Justnes (908-684-4310).... The best wood I have gotten from the area... don't bother calling anyone else!!!

Nov '17

How much for a cord? May have to order some as the wood I still have is pretty dry and I need to mix some new stuff in it.

Blackcat Blackcat
Nov '17

@ Blackcat - Harold is $235.00 per load and it is more then a cord and dry ...

Nov '17

We got a delivery from Harold and highly recommend him! We needed a smaller amount, and he was extremely accommodating, the wood is perfect, we will always call him from now on!

Mintyfresh Mintyfresh
Nov '17

We got our firewood from Harold Justnes (908-684-4310) this year. Dry, clean, bug free. Already have had a couple of nice fires. No hissing of steam, just a good burn! Ordered 1 full cord. It's a real cord, not a face cord and it was well over that. I've been recommending to all.

SubsailorJoe SubsailorJoe
Nov '17

Bumping this up- has anyone gotten firewood lately? May need to get a half cord until our piles get split. TIA!

Blackcat Blackcat
Jan '18

did you call Harold ?

Jan '18

Can't go wrong with Harold

Jan '18

I’ll give Harold a call:) He sounds like “the man”

Blackcat Blackcat
Jan '18

Harold is the best ... still burning his wood today...

Feb '18

Harold hooked us up the other week. Great wood and a nice guy

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '18

Again … Fully and Highly recommend Harold Justnes (908-684-4310) .. We received 2 loads today … which comes out nearly to 4 cords … the wood is split to easily handling size which is very helpful for any ladies or young ones who help with sacking … (each load this year is $250.00) Bes of luck everyone with Winter just around the corner...

Oct '18

Another recommendation for Harold - had a load delivered today just in time to stoke the fireplace all day on Thanksgiving.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Nov '18

Forget finding firewood around here. Tried over 10 guys including Harold and they are all rip offs. All short loads and unseasoned wood. Get a gas stove or process your own wood.

"We received 2 loads today … which comes out nearly to 4 cords"
LibertyThinker You need to learn what a cord of wood is. No way are 2 pickups close to 4 cords! A cord of wood is 128cf. You need a mason dump or rack body for a true cord. Most guys sell you face cords for the price of a full cord. You can measure out the stack yourself and plug it into an online cord calculator and see what you really got! You got about 1.75 cords from Harold and paid for 4 cords!

Madhouse Madhouse
Nov '18

Never understood why someone who needs to buy wood buys it so late. Purchase in June- price is less, plus it has all summer to dry- guaranteed dry wood. Wet wood is worthless, as the heat energy is all wasted turning water to steam, with reduced heat output.
Every year I read the same posts- I posted the same thing a year ago.
Some people never learn. Your wood heating season is shot without good fuel.
Dry is #1. Most suppliers are not properly stacking wood, so the piles are wet in the middle. That's what you get. Buy early, stack properly, guaranteed dry wood supply for winter.

Dodgebaal Dodgebaal
Nov '18

Anyone got trees down in their yard they need help getting rid of

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Nov '18

Harold's wood is all stored under cover in a huge barn that was built just for wood storage. His wood is all dry and seasoned and I never had any problems with the quantity or the price he delivers. His truck load of wood equates to three racks of wood for me that is stacked 4 feet high by 8 feet long. If it's an exact cord I could care less it serves me just fine and I get two deliveries a year.

Nov '18

Harold has wonderful wood. We recently got a delivery from him and it burns beautifully. But more than that, he is also an all-around great guy! I think this is the reason so many people recommend him, too. It's not just his product, it's Harold himself! He is a very kind and good man, a gentle soul, so to speak, and full of humor. Love seeing him and sharing a few laughs when he delivers wood. Good vibes!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '18

I got a 1.5 cord from Harold last year. Did not burn well. Tried a different guy this year. Night and day.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Nov '18

@ madhouse ... I know what a cord a wood is ... Harold has good wood a bit high in price but my wife like the sizes and it easy for her !!!

Nov '18

I saw a post on facebook for cut your own wood at Worthington State Forest for $25 for two truckloads. You have to contact the park office.

2 cents 2 cents
Nov '18

Ryan Herold’s or Herold’s in Flanders has kiln dried firewood. Never had a problem with it and counts are on or higher

Awesome Awesome
Nov '18

Never a problem with Harold, two dry cords delivered quickly.

NJDad NJDad
Nov '18

2021 Another Harold vote.

goop474 goop474
Oct '21

Highly recommend Harold Justnes (908-684-4310) - just got my 3 loads

Oct '21

I always use Tim's Timber but unfortunately they're very behind this year and their mailbox is full. Just called Harold and left a message. Thanks for all the tips on here.

CuriousK CuriousK
Oct '21

Harold Justnes is the best!

ChrisK ChrisK
Oct '21

Harold’s great if you have 45 minutes to waste while he talks your ear off

Consigliere
Oct '21

Best is split it your self and get the lengths u want and let it season

Michigan Michigan
Oct '21

If you are going to buy firewood anyway, just buy it in the spring and let it season all summer long. That way you know it's done. Why people wait until the last minute hoping what they get is seasoned makes no sense to me. What are you going to do if it isn't, hope and pray to God that it lights? Just buy it early and be done with it.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Oct '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: The Firewood Thread
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.