College Football 2015/16

Starts tonight!

Rutgers doesn't play until Saturday but I can't wait to watch some of these team tonight!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '15

Can't wait to watch Penn State/Temple Saturday!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '15

Also can't wait

Wendy

Wbeleno Wbeleno
Sep '15

"Can't wait to watch Penn State/Temple Saturday!"

No paint drying anywhere in town, Calico? (-;

It'll either be a blowout or an embarrassment; neither of which is all that entertaining, IMO.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

if your team is playing it doesn't matter who they are playing. It's always entertaining! FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '15

The topic is College football, and the first team mentioned is Rutgers. Typical HL thread going off topic.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '15

The first day of college football season is a Holy Day of obligation.

I'll be at Lafayette on Saturday, watching the Leopards take on the Tribe of William and Mary.

I remember a funny line on the Tonight Show ..."no wonder the Army gets no respect. Their football team lost to William and Mary. WILLIAM AND MARY? Well, that Mary can get pretty nasty swinging around her frying pan..."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

fujixt, that's true for just about everything but college football. I'd rather watch preseason NFL games than the first weekend of NCAA football.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

ianimal- Lets say your team is Penn State and they are playing this weekend, even if it's against Temple... are you saying that you would rather watch whatever NFL preseason game instead of week 1 of your Penn State play? Don't you want to see what players have developed or how your QB does week one? You have been waiting all season for this! College football doesn't even have preseason so this is the FIRST time they are taking the field and every win or lose counts.

Why only college football? If any of my teams are playing preseason or not, the first time they are playing I would want to see them play.

Here are tonights games I want to keep track of because I want to watch college football, see how other teams stack up, and how it could effect our strength of schedule.

Texas vs Notre Dame
Michigan vs Utah
TCU vs Minn

Just curious why watching your team whether it be week one or the final week would make a difference.

Unless you don't have a college team or care for the sport then I can see where you are coming from. I would rather watch preseason hockey between any team before watching the world series because I have no interest in baseball.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '15

Rutgers season ticket holder looking forward to more B1G conference games. However, I will also be rooting for the Wilkes University Colonels to have a great season, 2 former HHS players on the team!

tigerfan tigerfan
Sep '15

For Rutgers fans, it is good for all the Big Ten teams to win when they play teams outside the league and win bowl games ... after all the trouble the Scarlet went through to get into such a big time league, things like last winter's Ohio State playoff championship can only help the program's prestige.

You don't want Penn State to lose to Temple, would only diminish the accomplishment of winning a game against the Nittany Lions.

Whether they are ready for it or not, RU is playing BIG BOY FOOTBALL.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Week one in NCAA football is primarily about playing "cupcakes"... it really doesn't happen in any other sport. As for the specific matchup I mentioned, I've watched at least a dozen Temple/PSU games in my lifetime; one more unwatchable than the next. Temple hasn't won since 1941. Yes, I would prefer to watch a preseason NFL game than to suffer through another one. But the NFL preseason ends tonight, so it's a moot point.

There are no marquee games this weekend and only one that even pits two (current) Top-25 teams against each other... #20 Wisconsin against #3 Alabama. I say "current" because I have a feeling the Badgers will be outside looking in after the Tide Rolls all over them. There is a huge talent disparity in FBS College Football and at no time is it more glaringly obvious than Week one.

I don't enjoy watching Oklahoma beat up on Akron any more than I like to watch grown men smack around old ladies. I would rather watch a relatively competitive FCS game like the one Andy is going to, to be honest.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/multiple_rutgers_football_players_arrested.html

townie14 townie14
Sep '15

I guess Rutgers is officially a big-time football school now, lol. It's not about wins and losses, it's about how many of your players get arrested and/or are involved in cheating scandals. Check and check...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

By the way, the Steelers had a player from Lafayette in camp this summer, who had a really brief career, ended by an injury.

+100 to anyone who knows who he is, and spells the name correctly (-;

Hope the Ravens give him a shot, they need a receiver with some speed ... the next Jacoby Jones, maybe???

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

That's easy, Andy... R-O-S-S (-;

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

Yeah, why can't he just spell it Sherman and make life easy for copy editors?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Scheuerman had an incredible game against Lehigh at Yankee Stadium last fall; over 350 yards from scrimmage including 300 yards rushing on 45 carries and 3 TDs. It was a shame that he hurt his Achilles like he did in training camp; he had an outside shot of making the squad.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

I animal- I guess we can agree to disagree. Haha.

Go RU!!!!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '15

ianminal - I have to disagree with you about the PSU-Temple history. True, PSU has been winning all the games, but in recent years the games have been very competitive.As a PSU fan many of the games have kept me glued to the TV to the end! Last year, Temple held the lead into the middle of the 3Q. In 2011, PSU scored a TD with less than 3 min to go to pull off the victory. In 2010 PSU only held a 2 point lead into the 4Q. In 2012 PSU only had a 14-3 lead at half. They didn't play in 2013.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Sep '15

Yes, FarmerJake, I know... those were the "embarrassments" I referred to in my original post (-;

Those games weren't close because Temple was a good team; they were close because PSU was sloppy and inept. None of them were entertaining from this PSU fan 's point of view.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

I recall that about 10 years ago, Temple got the boot from the Big East, because their program was just too weak.

I'm more into Temple basketball than football, ever since the best player on our high school basketball team got a scholarship to be an Owl and was part of their NIT championship in 1969 --- back when winning the NIT meant something.

I saw a competitive Penn State-Temple football game in 1983, the season following the Nittany Lions' first national championship.

But the 83 Nittany Lions were not a good team --- they got husked by Nebraska something like 44-6 at Giants Stadium and struggled to beat teams like Temple, Maryland, Rutgers --- teams they were supposed to annihilate. Their next national title was three years away.

When Penn State has had TOP TEN teams (hopefully they'll get back to that soon), Temple was just a cupcake for them.

The main reason Penn State went to the Big Ten in the early 90s was because wins against Eastern schools did not help them gain national respect.

Penn State had undefeated teams in 68, 69, and 73 (with Heisman winner John Cappelletti) and never held a number one ranking. An explanation you always heard was, "Penn State plays too many patsies." Penn State beat West Virginia every year from the mid 1950s until 1988. They beat Maryland every year from 1961 until they stopped putting the Terps on the schedule upon joining the Big Ten. The only credible opponents Penn State had most of those years were Pitt, in their great rivalry game, and whoever they got in a New Year's Day bowl game.

The first time Penn State ever reached number one in the polls was on my wedding day, 11/11/78.

The last time State ever played William and Mary, the Nits were a 39-point favorite. With the number threes and even number fours in the game, Penn State won by 38. William and Mary covered!! I don't think Paterno cared.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Touchdown Rutgers!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Sep '15

Is it everything you hoped it would be, Calico? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Sep '15

what college games are on regular tv tomorrow??

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '15

*&^%$#@! Penn State!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '15

Now THAT'S what college football is all about. Sparta!!!

I hate Michigan more than I hate Notre Dame even... and Jim Harbaugh is one of the biggest d-bags in football. Classic.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

Temple is 5-0 for the first time since 1974, and is winning at halftime right now.

That's for the people who give a hoot about the Owls.

If they keep this up, wonder what kind of a bowl bid they will get.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Maybe the Bill Cosby Quaalude Bowl?

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

Great comeback win for Rutgers against Indiana. 3 more wins to be bowl eligible after all the turmoil. Ohio State comes to Piscataway Saturday night.... can RU keep it competative?

KMC77
Oct '15

No........

BeerFan
Oct '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.