Warren County did not do too well in their minds

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hoboken/100-nj-towns-ranked-bottom-best-places-live-list-0?utm_source=social&utm_medium=hs&utm_campaign=

I left some of these ant hill loaded towns to come out and be with the down to earth dirt farmers. They would not exist with out our water and food.They love to take a ride out for some fresh air and pick a few apples don't they.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '15

"patch.com"

and

"compiled by researchers at Leflein Associates"

Why is this even news? A thousand people will have a thousand opinions. Means precious little.

Exactly,GC. I could not agree more.

New Jersey Monthly Magazine is a magazine that rates many things. It is used as a reference by many.

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '15

Good maybe the city folks will stay away. We can only hope.

A good day
Sep '15

Look to the rating criteria and the weighting for the criteria. The primary factor is housing prices and taxes. So of course Warren would rank lower than Hunterdon or Bergen County.

Likewise, Hackettstown rates lower than the surrounding townships.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '15

It depends what you want and value. You couldn't pay me enough to live in some of the towns on the top 100 list.

eperot eperot
Sep '15

My same Apt., owned by the same people cost $860 per month more, in Westfield.
There High School didn't make the top hundred list in NJ this year. Just saying !

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '15

Belvidere and White Township are among the best places to live. It's insulting to see these towns on the list. Oh also, Lopatcong (not Phillipsburg) is not too bad either. lol

positive positive
Sep '15

Totally agree A good day..lol!!

positive positive
Sep '15

When I mentioned White township I actually meant Oxford and I didn't see High Bridge at first glance which is such a quaint adorable town that has a great school district. These surveys are a joke.

positive positive
Sep '15

"It depends what you want and value. You couldn't pay me enough to live in some of the towns on the top 100 list."

+1000

If I could live somewhere with even FEWER people, that'd be great lol.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Sep '15

Most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time! List is totally wrong, and that's my opinion.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Sep '15

I have the same issue with "top ten xxxxx to retire in" with xxx being city, state, region.

They may be accurate but it depends on the criteria selected and the weighting value for each criteria. My criteria for places to retire in is far different from most of the studies so I have to literally chart my own course.

This one gives points to "a lifestyle factor that considers the number of acute-care hospitals and live performing-arts theaters within 10 miles of the municipality’s main zip code, number of full-service restaurants within two miles of the municipality’s main zip code, and average commute time for those working away from home." So, by definition, rural stinks.

Also the weighting: "The final rankings were based on each municipality’s combined rankings for 13 indicators across the five categories. Extra weighting was given to the following indicators: average tax bill; change in average tax bill; effective tax rate; and results on standardized tests for students in grades 4 and 8."

So it is what it is but that is not my criteria or weighting.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '15

Who would want to live here anyway? The place has totally gone to crap with the Mega-CVS's, wrong-way facing benches, immigrants, zero parking available anywhere near Main Street, shortage of free candy at the Spring carnival, soft openings of restaurants where not everyone is invited, Mantis Man, everybody seemingly ripping their earlobes open, constant venting...the list goes on and on and on.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '15

emaxxman, Being upset is a national problem. Not Just H Town. Peace !

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '15

Re: Warren County did not do too well in their minds

Um...

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '15

emaxxman, why don't you pick up and move somewhere if you are so unhappy? I happen to love living here.

Sport
Sep '15

Sport - Emaxxman was joking, those are just all the ridiculous complaint threads here on HL.

emaxxman I got the joke and thought it was funny. It is a silly survey! Newark was ranked 340 and Hackettstown was 341.

notafan notafan
Sep '15

It's just the media being controversial; put something outrageous out there are get people talking and arguing.

Well, Warren County does not need to worry about outsiders coming here.

No new jobs being created. If you're on solid ground financially, it's great here.

Youngsters with their college degrees can live with their parents a few more years, until they get a job they have to commute to, in the Lehigh Valley or around Morristown. LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '15

Well, I love Warren County and I think it's beautiful. HOWEVER, I think we can all agree that it is lacking in certain departments when compared to other NJ counties, particularly those east and south of here.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Sep '15

True. But if you love nature and wildlife this is a great place to live. For NJ. :)
I am not interested in big ugly monster houses on property in Somerset or Morris counties. Or any other location.

A good day
Sep '15

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/new_jersey_highlands_inspire_love_of_the_state_di.html#incart_river_mobile

Nice article in star ledger.

A good day
Sep '15

http://www.roadsnacks.net/most-redneck-places-in-new-jersey/

Htown #6 on the NJ redneck scale lol.

justintime justintime
Sep '15

What a joke! from the article. At least I got a laugh today!

Black Stones Bar and Grill, Hackettstown, NJ. From their Facebook page

Population: 9,743
Walmart rank 15th
Fishing/bait shops per capita: 14th in NJ
High school graduation rate: 80%

Hackettstown is probably the only city on this list that’s actually close to a lot of people. Located in central Jersey about two beers (or five) outside of Newark, you might call them the rednecks with paychecks.

There are lots of necky things here, such as places to get fishing bait and cheap groceries. And it’s relatively close to the hills. Most of the rednecks who live here are most likely city slickers with the newest Fords and Chevys who take their families out on lengthy trips into the wilderness in the weekends.

But they still drink Busch Light.

Christine Christine
Sep '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.