In-ground pools

I wondered if anyone knew the regulations for having an in ground pool. As in how many feet from the sidewalk, houses etc. and if there are exceptions. I passed a new pool on washington and little street earlier today, and it seems awfully close to the street on both sides . I guess i can call the town i was just curious.

stressed out stressed out
Sep '15

I saw that too. Looks nice but no privacy at all. I would guess they will landscape and such for next year as so anyone in the pool is not on display!

It's not local ordinance, but by state law I believe they will have to put up a fence.

I saw that this morning, I'm shocked that they'd leave a new in-ground pool filled with water with only a plastic webbing around it. NJ Uniform Construction Code requires a four-foot rigid fence with self closing gate around in-ground pools.

Even though it's still under construction, isn't that a building code/safety violation?

JerryG JerryG
Sep '15

I dont think you can put permanent fencing/sidewalks until the ground is done settling.

I would assume they got permits to do it.

Nosila Nosila
Sep '15

I understand Nosila...but the webbed plastic construction barrier looks like a 4 year old could push it over or crawl under it...and with an in-ground pool full of water that could be deadly.

JerryG JerryG
Sep '15

You people really need to get a life
I'm sure fence will be there as soon as the fence company can
And wtf is a 4 year old doing pushing fence a bucket full of water is deadly too that's why they have parents

John Henry
Sep '15

The plastic webbing is sufficient for the regs and you really do have to wait for all of the permits to be finished and settling before you can put up the fence, etc. As far as distance, they seem to be okay because it's primarily distance from neighbors PLUS there is no way that location can "hide" the pool from zoning.

Looks like a nice pool and I hope they enjoy it! Granted we regret putting ours in - too much maintenance.

Well said John Henry. Get a life people. I'm sure the owners got all their permits and permission for the pool. And fence will be up soon.
Stressed out - your going to call the town ?? Do you know how much money and paperwork and approval go into getting a pool? Leave them alone and mine your own buisness.

Hackmom Hackmom
Sep '15

OP- So you "passed" the pool earlier today? By saying that, I assume you are not a neighbor? Your screen name is "stressed out"...by what? This? You state you can "call the town". Doesn't that seem a like a little much? I agree with previous posters that they probably are just waiting for fencing and that they filed for permits. It's not like the pool isn't in plain sight. Officals would surely know somethings up. I understand the concern for public saftey, but little children should always be under the watchful eye of their caregiver and others should know better to not trespass on this persons property. Sounds to me like someone maybe a little jealous of the new pool. ;-) Mind your business....Get a life....

A+ Hackmom, John Henry, MYB
Get a life!

Really?
Sep '15

You can NOT put a roof on a house untill the walls are up!!!! And you can't put a permanent fence up untill the pool is finished. It is only common sense. At this stage in construction most likely it would be handled like an open trench.

Dadof3
Sep '15

It's awfully hot out, thanks for the info on the new community pool.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '15

Really people? Aren't there more important things to be "stressed out " about in this world. YES- they are getting a fence-ASAP. YES- they are great parents, neighbors and friends. They would not have been allowed to put the pool in if they were not getting a fence installed as well.. Unbelievable!!

LuLu22 LuLu22
Sep '15

The funny thing is about the inground pool since I am the owner of it we have followed every regulation and rule the nosy people just need to knock on the door before they run up to the town and try to start problems yes we are getting a fence there are steps to doing an inground pool there are inspections after each little phase I can't snap my fingers and have the fence guy appear we have spent almost $40,000 on this pool the orange construction fence is to let people know exactly that there is construction going on stay out the ordinance reads no fence shall be constructed within six feet of any dwelling located on adjacent properties people don't realize the yellow house right next to the pool does not have any property only in the back we will be 6 feet off the house it also reads a private residential swimming pool area must be surrounded by a fence at least four feet but no more than 6 feet in height don't worry we're spending the extra money it will be more than 4 feet I have had the zoning officer here personally since people like to start problems people are unbelievable

Shawnee Shawnee
Sep '15

My God! Some people apparently have nothing to do but drive around and complain about what everyone else is doing on their own property.

I agree -- get a life for heaven's sake!

Gonna call the town? Dangerous? Geez...

Heidi Heidi
Sep '15

I noticed the pool too. It's lovely. May you and your family enjoy it for years to come.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '15

Shawnee, enjoy your pool, enjoy your private property. Pursuit your happiness!!

Well said, Shawnee, the pool is beautiful.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Sep '15

Shawnee, you now have the most famous pool in town. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I don't know. Driving by the other day, it sure looked like you were all enjoying it. Congrats.

Collegeviewrider Collegeviewrider
Sep '15

Congrats on your new pool! Hope you and your family have a great time using it!

Maybe stressed out wouldn't be stressed out if they minded their own business!

ziggy ziggy
Sep '15

In all fairness stressed out was just asking a question on a town forum.

Also, they post with that name consistently, so I'm pretty sure this isn't why the OP is stressed out.

That being said, congrats on the new pool. I've always wanted one, but the maintenance required has kept me from getting one....oh that, and a small back yard :)

Congratulations! Enjoy!!

auntiel auntiel
Sep '15

Wow, I just saw your pool. Love it. I hope you and your family have lots of pool time. It's beautiful. Good for you!

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Sep '15

If you find out that your new pool is haunted just give me a shout. I'll be right over to investigate it! ;)

John C John C
Sep '15

Probably some jealously as well from some negative folks...

It does look like a beautiful pool. I bet you can't wait to get that fence up just to keep the gawkers at bay lol.

justintime justintime
Sep '15

Twice in my twenty-plus year career as a paramedic I had to attempt to resuscitate young children who drowned in pools that were not properly secured. Both times the children died.

My apologies if my prior experiences colored my approach to this thread.

JerryG JerryG
Sep '15

wow. I only asked about the regulations. I only passed by that pool and i don't even know which house it belonged to. I was sure since its already in the ground it was done properly. I was saying if i wanted to call the town they could let me have the regulations. But since there are many knowlegable people on here i thought someone wound post a link or something. Peolple are so quick to be negative on here. I passed again yesterday and it is a lovely pool and im sure the owners will have many hours of enjoyment. Good luck with your pool.

Sep '15

thank you LAS.

Sep '15

Shawnee -

Enjoy your pool and don't worry about the Need-A-Life posters on this site.There are more of us normal people than there are of them.

The pool and the house look great with all the work you've done over the past several years. Best of Luck!

Moe Greene
Sep '15

See? nice fence is installed. Looks great guys. Enjoy your pool. OP, mind your own business.

eperot eperot
Sep '15

Wow nice pool!! Do you need any new friends lol. Enjoy it!!

Sunshine Sunshine
Sep '15

wow. I only asked about the regulations. I only passed by that pool and i don't even know which house it belonged to. I was sure since its already in the ground it was done properly. I was saying if i wanted to call the town they could let me have the regulations. But since there are many knowlegable people on here i thought someone wound post a link or something. Peolple are so quick to be negative on here. I passed again yesterday and it is a lovely pool and im sure the owners will have many hours of enjoyment. Good luck with your pool.

stressed out

His/Her way of saying, this thread didn't go the way I wanted it to go.

If they NEVER put a fence around it, what business is it of yours? Don't give me the kids could get in it and drown story. Parents should teach their kids NOT to break into someone else's property. BTW there's a garbage can on Main St without a lid on it, call it in stressed.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '15

@Clyde Potts,

When you're able to teach an inquisitive toddler not to wander when the parents turn their backs for one minute, let me know. I'm sure millions of new parents would like to know how you do it.

Fencing regulations and the Uniform Construction Code exist for a good reason: to save lives.

May you never have to see a child who died needlessly.

JerryG JerryG
Sep '15

OMG! Mind your business! U honestly think that they dont have a permit.

Oaksh Oaksh
Sep '15

Seriously OP asked a question // got lots of snarky responses with a small handful of useful or neutral ones // no need to keep bashing him/her a week after the original post.

Comprehension is your friend.

littlelu littlelu
Sep '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.