Homestead Rebate not received this year

Live in Mansfield. Last year, the rebate came a week after the tax bill, in the form of a credit off the new quarter. This year, taxes were due August 28th. Never received the homestead rebate. Anyone else having this problem?

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Aug '15

Hope this helps. Received email on Aug 7, 2015 from state regarding homestead rebate:

This email is from the New Jersey Division of Taxation and is for informational purposes only.
We will begin mailing the 2013 Homestead Benefit Applications to eligible homeowners in late August. You indicated on your 2012 application you wanted to receive future applications by email instead of getting them in the mail.
You will receive an email containing a link to file your application online on or about August 25, 2015.
If you do not receive the email from the Division of Taxation containing the filing information for your 2013 Homestead Benefit Application by the end of the second week of September 2015, contact our Customer Service Center at 1-888-238-1233.
The deadline for filing the application is October 30, 2015.
ATTENTION PRACTITIONERS
You received this message because you requested that your client’s Homestead Benefit Application be emailed to you. You will receive an email containing a link to file the 2013 application online on or about August 25, 2015. This link is a generic link; it is NOT client specific. Use the same link to file for each of your clients. Review your records to determine which of your clients have authorized you to file their 2013 Homestead Benefit Application on their behalf.
More information about the homestead benefit, including eligibility requirements for 2013, is available on our website at: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL — Messages sent to this mailbox will not receive a response.

nancy nancy
Aug '15

This is so strange. I received a credit on my taxes for May 2015 which was the homestead rebate, and then in July I received my Senior Property Tax Freeze in the form of a check. (something new to me) I'm not complaining, but don't understand the OP's problem. I live in Warren County.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '15

Got my homestead rebate adjustment on my taxes in May or June. I too live in Mansfield.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '15

Nancy, thanks so much for the info, I have to look into it. Last August was like the previous posts, a credit towards the bill, received separately, about a week later. This year... nothing. Went to the tax office Thursday, and they just said check the sites Nancy mentioned. Didn't know anything.
Thanks for the info.

Aug '15

Nothing in email, just checked. Will try number Nancy gave. UUGG , computers are getting to be such a drag. I like to putz around on it once in a while for local info and stuff, but I don't want to have to rely on it to run my life. Heck, I still have an antique cell phone, 8 years old. This forum is the closest thing to social media I use.

Aug '15

I was surprised to receive my homestead rebate from my old place- so it was for 2012....

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

sparksjbc 1964, are you sure you filed last year? FYI, the homestead rebate forms came in the mail today. 2013 Homestead Benefit Application Filing Deadline: October 30, 2015.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '15

yup - got the forms today - can file online

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

Got my 2013 homestead form today in the mail too!
I live in hackettstown.

Lostit
Aug '15

What do I do if the homestead rebate came for the previous owner of the house? As far as I know the owner moved out of state

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Sep '15

Got mine today also.

Sep '15

Yup..just got the 2013 in the mail yesterday. Last year was different because they sent a separate paper from the tax office, showed the rebate, to offset some of the bill. Thanks for the help, HL's. Greatly appreciated!

Sep '15

You should be getting the Homestead Rebate Application to fill out online every year. Then in the spring, you get your tax paper, showing the rebate (deduction).

Sep '15

Mine is weird because the "new" tax bill starts in August, thus making the first half of the year (winter) actually the second half of the tax year and vice versa. I guess I got it later than usual. Thanks again to all!

Sep '15

I filed the 2013 Homestead Benefit Application online. At the end it says:

"We will issue your homestead benefit payment either as a credit on a future property tax bill or by check (or direct deposit). Eligible homewoners who receive benefits as credits can expect to receive a property tax bill or advice copy from their tax cllector reflecting the amount of the benefit."

So, I'm wondering if anyone happens to know..... Will a person only receive a rebate by check if they completed the direct deposit info? I feel like I should assume my rebate will be a credit on my tax bill (& not a check in the mail), but I'd love to get a check. I know it'll be the same amount either way, but there's just something about getting that money in my hands!

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Oct '15

is the rebate for seniors only?

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
Oct '15

I got mine from '12 this spring -- so who knows

5catmom 5catmom
Oct '15

Pumpkin43 - no, but you have to meet income requirements. From the website:

"To receive a 2013 homestead benefit, your 2013 New Jersey gross income cannot be more than the amounts below, and you must meet all of the other eligibility requirements.

$150,000 for homeowners 65 or older or blind or disabled on December 31, 2013; and
$75,000 for homeowners under 65 and not blind or disabled on December 31, 2013.

These income amounts apply to a single individual, a married/civil union couple living in the same residence, and married/civil union partners maintaining separate residences. Do not include nontaxable income such as Social Security, Railroad Retirement benefits, or unemployment compensation when calculating your income. "

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Oct '15

Is this new? If so, I have to get down to the municipal building to see what happened, because I sure as heck fall way below those guidelines and I did my taxes online, like I do every year. Thanks for the update!

Oct '15

Re: Homestead Rebate not received this year

I received this by email this week- so this is fyi if you didn't get it:

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '18

Are there any new requirements to be eligible for a rebate?

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '18

Sorry - I don't know but the application - when it arrives - should tell

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '18

I'm finding the use of comic sans font in an alleged 'State' notice kinda suspect. just sayin'

I would just go to the state's website instead of clicking a link in an email.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/homestead/geninf.shtml

We have not received our homestead rebate application yet. Has anyone else who is entitled to one not received theirs yet?

My parents got theirs and I've been trying to do it all day today by phone as the line that the info is to be taken from on the tax form is blank. I need to speak to someone about this and the first call had me on hold for a good 15 minutes. I needed to hang up and do other things. Since then, every time I've called I can't even hold on the line as they are too busy to allow it and it says to call back at another time! Their application came last week. Maybe your is in the mail.

magpie magpie
Oct '18

got mine - did it online - there was almost nothing to fill out as they had the information from prior years

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '18

magpie ;

I filed mine online using the ID number and PIN number . If you filed a tax return in 2016 they will say they already have the tax form information and that you don't need to supply it because they already have it . It's the same if you file by phone using the 877-658-2972 number as I have done it that way in the past . Hope this helps .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '18

Thank you to everyone to answered me. We did not file the 2015 rebate, and are qualified to receive the 2016 rebate, but never received the green card with the ID and pin, so are unable to file online. I tried calling but just kept getting a message that they're too busy and to call back another time.

Try the email ;

https://www.state.nj.us/treas/taxation/contactus_tyttaxa.shtml

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '18

Why do they make it so difficult, and why is it two years prior? We had a lot going on several years ago, and we had to get a PO Box. So how do I find out if we we're supposed to get one and did not apply several years back? The website only will help you if you filed electronically, which we never have. Anyone have a phone number I can call?

Older Mom Older Mom
Oct '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.