Before Comcast

Ok, so my boyfriend and I have been racking our skulls with this for a while now. Does anyone remember what Comcast was before it was Storer Cable? We're pretty sure it was another name. Think my fellow locals. ..THINK. thank you :)

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Aug '15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storer_Communications

looks like it went gasoline>radio>cable

Andrew Andrew
Aug '15

I can think of a few names I call them. LOL! Wouldn't be appropriate to post them here.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '15

Comcast was never Storer Cable. Comcast BOUGHT Storer Cable.

Or, did you mean to ask who had the cable franchise in Hackettstown prior to Comcast and Storer? That I don't know, not having grown up in town.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '15

My recollection is that it was simply called CATV Service Co or something like that. It was basically a huge master antenna down in Pt Murray (now the comcast bldg.) that was directed toward Philadelphia and had decent reception for the basic network channels from Philly and picked up some from NY.

OldSam
Aug '15

When I lived in Westfield it was Suburban Cable. It was 2 dollars a month and I refused to pay since I had a rotatable Antenna and did fine. After a year of grief from the family I broke down. ( Every one has it) They did a lot of local sports programming and one guy was very good. He was Bruce Beck, now of NBC

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '15

OldSam is correct. The CATV office was on 1st Street on what now is a vacant lot.

clpallamuchy clpallamuchy
Aug '15

I guess i meant to say the name of the businesses in Port Murray where comcast is now.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Aug '15

When we moved here and lived in the Kenwood section. There was cable, but there were a few homes with big old TV antennas on their roofs.
Not Connected though. I asked a neighbor, and he said, "All we were able to get, were some Philadelphia Channels. Channel 3 I believe it was of one of them.
Reception was fair to poor depending how good an antenna one had.

It was Storer Cable that serviced the area, and I remember being peeved off, because we had to pay $19.00 a month, just to watch TV. We had three tv's then, and I remember adding splitters to get reception on the two other tv's. One day the wife called the cable guy (No Not Larry ) and the service tech cut MY wires and took the splitters.
I told him they were MY SPLITTERS, and he said"I Give them back to you, and you can pay the Fines. Haaaaaaaaaaa... I guess they were his splitters now!

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '15

The CATV stood for "Community Antenna Television".

Mr 4paws

4paws 4paws
Aug '15

Thanks everyone :) we can now rest easy. Lol.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Aug '15

Comcast are a bunch of crooks.... I changed my plan to a cheaper one in June and somehow my bill is like 300 bucks this month...

Metsman Metsman
Aug '15

before cable all we got was 3 ,6 , and 10 philly

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.