Need help identifying a spider

Need help identifying a spider

This is gross and are those eggs?

Thanks

That's my favorite kind of spider. A dead one.

No to both questions. As for identifying, it's really tough in that kind of condition. Maybe a hunstman?

Wood spider/huntsman. They don't make a normal web,for example, from tree branch to tree branch. The webs are flat against objects. We have them in our house occasionally and they tend to blend in to wherever they are hanging out. Fast little suckers.

Wolf spider with egg sack.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '15

That was my thought Rebecka. It's just a little hard to tell with it curled up but I have seen that kind of sack before on them.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '15

Wolf spider I think

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '15

Wolf spider. Females get pretty big but they are harmless.

Jesse Jesse
Aug '15

Re: Need help identifying a spider

Check out this spider! I have NEVER seen anything like it. It is just beautiful. Does anyone have any idea what it's called?

littlelu littlelu
Aug '15

"Micrathena"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrathena

GC you're the best! Thank you.

littlelu littlelu
Aug '15

Re: Need help identifying a spider

This should help for next time.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '15

Thanks emaxxman! I just tried to check something on your chart and didn't see the text for a few mins, too busy looking at the photos.

This morning I walked my face right into a big and very sticky web across the basement doorway, when I looked down, found one long web strand hanging from my left ear and the spider (very big with striped legs) still clinging to it down near my waist!
I quickly detatched the web from my ear and restuck on the basement door with spider swinging like a yoyo. Oh, and screamed. Not afraid of spiders generally but that was rather unexpected! Dog and husband both came to check on me, then left shaking their heads.
Not sure what it was, but it was brown and nearly the size of a TEA BAG with striped legs. Didn't get a pic, ran to the shower to de-web myself.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '15

Question for those who know spiders: is the brown recluse the only spider that's dangerous in our area? I've always thought to myself - just be able to ID that one and don't worry too much about anything else. Am I living under a false sense of security?

emaxx - that chart is perfect lol. I generally do try to capture and release, but the chart sums up what I'd LIKE to do. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '15

Rebecka - Brown recluse and black widow.

TY! Didn't know we had widows here.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '15

Has anyone ever seen a brown recluse in this area? I just killed a spider (squashed beyond recognition) that looked like a BRS with the web looking pretty similar to some images available.

For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever seen one. (I usually catch any indoor spiders I see and toss them outside.)

That's Fred, wadya do to Fred?

MrCharlie
Sep '15

We have brown recluse spiders. My daughter was bitten and needed medical care the next day.

Dansker Dansker
Sep '15

We definitely have brown recluse. I personally know 2 people have been bitten. One needed hospital stay.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Sep '15

Thank you. @Dansker & CBB - I hope everyone is on the mend without too much long term damage. Off to find a good pest control company.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.