Activities for 21 year old male

I have a visitor in my home for about 5 months. He is a 21 year old male doing his university internship in the USA. He is active outdoors, likes running and basketball.

Where are their social places for a person like this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LivingNHackettstown LivingNHackettstown
Jul '15

Where is he doing his internship? Centenary College might be a good place to start - ask and look around. Lots of local musicians play in the area - tell him to listen to WNTI from the college - and look at their website for upcoming events.

Where is he from? There may be services for exchange students at Centenary that would be at least a source of information.

I'm thinking....:-)

For the running and basketball, Riverfront Park and Field of Dreams. He's bound to "run" into some new friends.... (yeah, I know)

Greene's Beans when one of the younger people is behind the register. Sit and hang out a while, often young people come in and chat when that is the case.

Quick Chek - any of the locations, in particular Mountain Ave if he skaboards, or Main & Stiger to just sit a while.

Centenary is a great idea, particularly buy a meal at the cafeteria and you've got a hundred others his age.

Panther Valley Pub was just loaded with young 'ems at dinner time Wednesday

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

the cafe at centenary is stellar - can confirm did a theater project there

Skippy Skippy
Jul '15

Stage Dolls might interest him.

The Man The Man
Aug '15

Smiles is pretty good as well

skippy skippy
Aug '15

OK Boys! How about Bea McNallys - pretty lively music/nite scene for the area.

Please don't steer a young man to hang out at Quick Check. I hope that was a joke.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '15

If he is into sports he probably is not into the drinking scene. Would help to know what his interests are other than sports and what type people he associated with from where he lives normally.. We know a lot of people in their early twenties but not everyone likes to do the same things socially. The local churches have a lot of youth and young peoples activities going on too...Just need to know his interests ...and I have a feeling it is not going to Stage Dolls....

joyful joyful
Aug '15

There is an excellent college aged ministry at Grace Church in Netcong. Here is the link with info:

http://www.grace4families.com/young-adults/

If you are looking for additional activities, I would suggest that he try out a cross fit place. It's not personally something that I've done, but I understand that the community is pretty tight. He could make a lot of new friends that way.

MMA is also another option. I have a 22 year old nephew that loves it. He goes to this place:
http://www.tmmafight.com

Other good options might be memberships to Planet Fitness or Crunch Fitness. The memberships at both places don't seem to require long term contracts and are really inexpensive.

Also check out Meetup.com

Antimony Antimony
Aug '15

Stage dolls....hahaha. that's funny

Melissa Melissa
Aug '15

Really, Melissa?
Some men's comments are best ignored.
Sexism isn't funny.

hapiest girl
Aug '15

go out to the drag strip in independence or up to Blairstown air port for a glider ride

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Aug '15

If he's REALLY into basketball, plays on a competitive team and has high goals, he's fine with playing by himself, if there are no other players around.

Not only can you practice those free throws, you can work on many important skills on your own.

Serious b-ballers are never "bored."

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '15

Geocaching....
Hiking... http://www.njhiking.com/best-hikes-in-nj/

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Aug '15

Yes , best to ignore the stupid stagedoll comment. One thing you can count on is ignorance on this site.

Hack in town Hack in town
Aug '15

Why is it so stupid? Most men of that age love going to those places.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '15

I appreciate the comments ... some really good ideas.

LivingNHackettstown LivingNHackettstown
Aug '15

Is the Yacht Club still open on Berkshire Valley Road ? That could be fun for this guy .... Depending.

hellbilly
Aug '15

I suggest finding him a21 year old young woman. Not at the aforementioned strip clubs.

Barring that, canoeing on the local rivers, especially the Delaware is always an option. There are kayaks available as well if he wants to solo. Many different livery services available.

If he's a hiker he can also do sections of the Appalachian Trail either in NJ or PA. If he's a biker, maybe see about renting a bike from Marty's and do Columbia Trial or any of the local rails to trails.

Agust Agust
Aug '15

tell him to go to NYC or Hoboken everyone knows theres nothing to do for youngsters "out in the boonies" :)

kevmo kevmo
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.