Animal in our vent - recommendations?

We have some kind of animal - unknown - that has made its way into our vents, and seems to be near our intake vent- making noise as it moves about - we are not sure what it is, Any suggestions as to who we should call for help?

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '15

Intake? for what? Furnace? etc?

We just had one in exhaust vent for kitchen stove exhaust... A big bird
It was thrashing about, in a 12 diameter pipe, so I sat to think out what do I do.
If it died, it would stink until it dried out...but who wants that?...nope!!

I took the high powered leaf blower, and stuck it in the pipe and hoping to blast the creature out. It worked. My wife watched the blackbird fly back out the vent.
The kicker was, the vent has a back draft damper to prevent animals from climbing / flying in. Like the flap damper on the dryer exhaust vent in the laundry room.

BTW.... I taped the back draft damper open so the creature could exit.

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '15

thank you embryo, we were able to drape sheets to direct the bird to the back door - and opened up the vent - it took a while, but he finally flew out. Whew!
thanks!

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '15

They make quite a racket, don't they? We had a small mouse in one of the returns for our furnace, on the second floor, in the middle of the night. You would have thought someone was trying to break in, and all it was was it's tiny little feet on the register, trying to get out. . And because of the echo, I had a hard time figuring out which return it was.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

oh my meister, I would certainly have been spooked if it were in the middle of the night - the cats alerted us to its location...

pmnsk pmnsk
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.