Hall of Fame name game

Just for some mid-summer fun, and nostalgia, I'll list some Hall of Fame baseball players who should be quickly recognizable just by their first name ... and see how quickly the answers come in.

Add your own if I missed your favorite.

Cy ... Ty .... Babe .... Lou ...Jackie .... Brooks ... Frank .... Willie .... Mickey ... Duke ...Yogi ... Pee Wee ... Robin... Roberto ....Henry ....Tom ... Sandy ...Whitey...
Reggie ... Nolan...

OK, that's enough. Should be easy for someone who has watched a lot of baseball.

I've got a few more we can add when the above all get named.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Young, Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig (or Brock), Robinson x 3, Mays, Mantle, Snider, Berra, Reese, Roberts (or Yount), Clemente, Aaron, Seaver, Koufax, Ford, Jackson, Ryan

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

So are we supposed to give you the last name?

Young, Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig, Robinson, Robinson, Robinson, Mays, Mantle, Snider, Berra, Reese, Yount, Clemente, Aaron, Seaver, Koufax, Ford, Jackson, Ryan.

To add a couple:

Stan, Casey, Ozzie, Catfish, Gaylord...

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Wh, On, Fir ?

Bagitornotyo
Jul '15

"The Man" Musial, Stengel, Smith, Hunter, Perry.

Ok ... next round ...

Ryne... Cal ... Eddie ... Joe ... Ted ... Ernie ... Johnny ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Joe? LOL, I'm willing to bet there are a dozen guys named Joe in the HOF.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

I think Dimaggio takes that one though ian.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

DiMaggio would be the first one that comes to my mind.

Shoeless Joe SHOULD be in.

OK, a few more ...

Carl (extra credit if you spell the last name correctly) ... Harmon ... Rollie ...Rogers ...Ferguson ...Satchel ... Kirby ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Yaztremski, Killebrew, Fingers, Hornsby, Jenkins, Paige, Puckett

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

Personally, Joe Morgan came to my mind first, because I grew up watching him play and "Joltin'" wasn't in front of it (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Well, is Yastrzemski, but I realize everybody is busy.

OK, how about Zach ... Hoyt ...Honus ... Christy ...Ralph ...Red ... Ryne ... Eddie ...Johnny ... Monte ... and Cal?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

And I have no idea how to spell 'Yaz'.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

What about Eddie? Does that mean Murray or Mathews to you? I'm pretty sure I know Andy's answer, but I thought of Eddie Mathews first, even though I never saw him play, with Eddie Murray entering my mind about a second later.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Yes, there is also Joe McCarthy, Joe Torre, Joe Tinker, Joe Sewell, Joe Medwick (from New Jersey), and probably some others if I go digging.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Is Joe Cronin in the Hall? McCarthy? No, not the senator ianimal...

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

Cronin and McCarthy are in there.

And then we had Zach Wheat, former Oriole Hoyt Wilhelm, Honus Wagner (how many people do you know named Honus?) Christy Mathewson, RALPH KINER, Red Ruffing, Ryne Sandberg, Johnny Bench (never heard him called John) Monte Irvin, and YOU KNEW I could not leave out Cal Ripken?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Joe Torre is in as a manager, not a player, so I'm not sure if he should qualify (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Honus = The Flying Dutchman.

What about Mr. Cub?

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

How many guys do you know named Ryne?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

Sorry Andy, missed it.

How many guys do you know named Gaylord?

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

I know a Marthafocker named Gaylord.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Torre's plaque does mention playing career highlights and his MVP award, but he didn't get in until he became an all-time great manager, so you're right there.

Yeah, I had Ernie (Mr. Cub --- Banks) up there an hour ago. RIP. Some of them have been overlooked as we've engaged in conversation.

And speaking of Cubs, Ryne is Ryne Sandberg. I got to know him when he was the manager of the IronPigs --- very serious, really believes in players having a consistent routine, I actually got him to smile a couple of times, which I consider a monumental accomplishment.

Gaylord Perry --- when I was in high school I knew a few guys named Gaylord, wonder if they changed it when they grew up? LOL

There's a guy named Early in the Hall -- I saw him pitch when I was a kid, he won 300 games.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Ryne Duren pitched for the Yankees in the '50s. He didn't make the HOF but he was regularly an All-Star relief pitcher.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Yeah, good one.

I saw Ryne Duren once, in relief against the O's in 1965, when he was pitching for the old Washington Senators (they wore the same caps the Nationals wear now)

... true to his reputation... he threw his first warmup pitch against the backstop, making a loud thud ... just to get the batter shook up. They said he always did that ... and since he wore glasses with thick lenses, he was pretty scary.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.