China Buffet

Husband and I went for a quick buffet at the Chinese buffet place in the Khols Mall. It's not there anymore. Does anyone know the story?

USAfirst USAfirst
Jul '15

We were there a few weeks ago and had a feeling it would not be long before they would be gone. It was not a good experience at all with attitude and what appeared to be 1/2 of the food selections they normally had. We also tried to go back to the one in Budd Lake by Sam's Club and that is out of business as well. It is tough out there for businesses to survive especially when their rent is high and customer count low...

joyful joyful
Jul '15

The one in budd lake had good sushi :(

skippy skippy
Jul '15

I like the all-you-can-eat sushi place in Stanhope. Ha Lulu or something.

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Jul '15

Wow. I was always surprised they stayed in business--the place always seemed virtually empty. But I kind of liked going there--you could stuff your face, cheap. I'm gonna miss them.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jul '15

the one at khols was just ok food cold to many times but they good egg drop soup and mushrooms and scallops on half shell the best buffet is in greewich in the mall by toys are us great food and they have frogs legs yum

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '15

I heard they were closing soon. Supposedly they were bought out and they are going to expand it and make a newer one.

Amanda Riccardi Amanda Riccardi
Jul '15

A previous thread mentioned the buffet by Kohl's would be closing over the summer, and a different asian themed restaurant (can't recall if it was Chinese or Japanese) was planning to move in.

Any confirmation on those details?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jul '15

The buffet at Schezuan Royal by Hastings Square is still there and very good, Reasonable pricing too.

hktownie hktownie
Jul '15

Halulu is a great value and the sushi is very good. Also in the Shop-Rite Plaza in Stanhope/Byram is another good Chinese buffet. It looks a bit dingy from the outside but I was surprised at how tasty most of their dishes were, and also that everything was pretty hot. The buffet in Hastings is also good: always fresh and hot but very limited selections.

fuji
Jul '15

They are moving it to PA somewhere but another buffet is moving in that spot..

Booster90 Booster90
Jul '15

I spoke to the owner of Frank's Pizza. He mentioned that there is indeed a new owner of the Chinese store. The new restaurant will:
1) Expand into the empty store next to it (old Radio Shack?)
2) Offer hibachi

Feel free to have a free grain of salt with my info.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Yes it's the owners of the buffet in pburg near Walmart that are coming to Mansfield

Booster90 Booster90
Jul '15

I used to love the Pburg one when I worked nearby, about 12 years ago. I used to go several times a week - the employees and the food were great.

Another Hibatchi restaurant? Fujiyama must be so happy to hear that. I don't understand the thought process of some business people. Moe's opens up across the street from Taco Bell. Budd Lake Bagel opens down the street from Hot Bagels. Now a Hibatchi Restaurant is opening across the street from Fujiyama.

hot under the collar
Jul '15

Hasn't bothered Burger King, Wendy's, Micky D's all burger places next to each other

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jul '15

White Castle did not do well.

hot under the collar
Jul '15

That's because White Castle is garbage.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '15

This isn't the 1940's where all you need/have is a single general store in town. Good grief.

HD/Lowes have coexisted; so have Shoprite/Weis, Fujiyama/Little Tokyo, a dozen pizza joints, Marleys and the other bars

Competition is good for the consumer. It forces the businesses to constantly strive to deliver the highest quality food/service possible. In fact, I'd like to see 20 more of each type of business open up.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Our cardiologist said the worse food to eat is CHINESE. It is forbidden for anyone with salt restrictions or heart history. the worse thing for you!

Christine Christine
Jul '15

Restaurant Chinese food is disgusting. It's a greasy pile of garbage at 99.9% of the places around. Homemade Chinese is a completely different story. Light, fresh, and can be very healthy.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

I agree that competition is good for the customer but I also agree that diversification is good for the community as a whole. If a town has a limited selection of stores then shoppers will often go elsewhere.

hot under the collar
Jul '15

who said ALL YOU CAN EAT! challenge accepted lol

Skippy Skippy
Jul '15

Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, various Latin/Hispanic, Italian, American, Lebanese, Portugese and Brazilian, Irish

I'd say there are plenty of options - but we're still looking for that nice Indian restaurant to make Hackettstown its home.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Chinese buffets in general are pretty bad. IMO these places are a step below chinese restaurants, something bizarre and horrible about their food selection. the one by kohl's has the most disgusting food I've ever had at a restaurant. had the displeasure of going there twice because someone in my family liked it (the second time I just had some of the soft ice cream) but I refuse to go back there again. I get that some people just love it, to each his own but i'm not surprised that it can't do enough business to stay open. I'm surprised it's been open this long. Good riddance I say!

brown bear
Aug '15

Although I haven't been there in a couple of years, Wei's Buffet was always good and they have sushi.

hapiest girl
Aug '15

The people who ran it were very nice. My only problem that I saw was that they had the same thing each time I would go there. It got boring. Hope they open the new one soon.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Aug '15

I also went there yesterday and was surprised to find them closed. I had heard that the b'burg one was coming there but had no idea this one had closed already. The few times that I was there the people who worked there were very nice.

Magpie Magpie
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.