How long should posts be?

What is a good length for a post on HL? Some of them read like the mass media term papers I've graded as an adjunct teacher at WCCC.

I generally try to wrap up my thought when I've filled in the box.

Brevity is good, but one of my pet peeves is seven-second sound bites on the national news that don't tell you anything. Also, bumper stickers.

There is a powerful lot of junk on these boards and gutter language does not do anything to improve our culture, either .... BUT along with the trash, there is a lot of good. The mix may not always be what we like, but that is the nature of social media.

Sometimes people get angry, but we can't expect every post to be a masterpiece, especially if the person posting has a life and is tired from a very demanding day.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

As short as possible IMO. To be honest, I usually skip over posts that are any longer than what you (Andy) posted above. Which means I rarely read Hackettstown Harold/Mister Google/Strangerdanger's posts at all.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

I only read about 5 sentences of Andy's post :) If someone usually keeps it short and sweet, but then posts a long one, I will take the time to read it all. If someone posts more than a couple of times on a thread, they are at the point of repeating themselves. Skip it.

I regularly make posts longer than Andy's. Why? That's what I think is necessary to get the job done.

GC, yours are usually worth reading.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Yes.

sack
Jul '15

Your last opening sentence hit the nail on the head,Andy.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jul '15

Post are 6ft, 2ft in the ground and 4ft above

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '15

Good one.

I relate to playing "the post" in basketball ... sometimes the high post, sometimes the low post.

I like the old phrase (before social media) let's keep it between you, me, and the lamp post.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

How long is your post usually ? That's what she said .

Zombo Zombo
Jul '15

Longer than two characters

Justintime Justintime
Jul '15

I think the question should be, "how many posts will a non-sports thread get before Andy makes a sports reference?" LOL.

I'm just kidding with you Andy. You like Romo so that makes you OK in my book. :-)

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Yeah, Romo could win a Super Bowl, would not shock me, he's right up there with all the big-time quarterbacks. They've asked him to carry some mediocre teams, but they've got a good one now.

We see politicos all the time, after debates, saying they knocked some question "out of the park," we hear "step up to the plate" a lot, yada, yada, yada.

Again, I try to contain my posts within the box, although there have been times I've gone over, whenever I'm thinking "outside the box" ... ok, everybody groan.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Shorter than the opening post to this thread.

brown bear
Jul '15

3-5 sentences max. If you have command of what you are trying to say I see no need for any longer.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.