Home inspector

Can anybody recommend a good home inspector in the area?

Homeowner11 Homeowner11
Jul '15

I have used Pillar to Post, Michael Brown a few of times-very thorough and honest. 1-800-585-1744. He has a good background, very knowledgable and honest.

Norm Hallenback is excellent. He is a licensed inspector who is thorough, professional and reliable. For under $500 he inspected the home, garage and three out buildings. Included in this price were Radon and WDI (wood destroying insects). I would highly recommend Norm.
Here his information:
Integrity Home Services, L.L.C.
16 Norfolk Ave
Suite 200
Washington, New Jersey 07882
Phone: 908-763-4246
Fax: 908-835-0074
E-mail: norm-ihs@comcast.net

ClarionCall ClarionCall
Jul '15

Kyle from benchmark home inspection ( http://benchmarkinspect.com)

Expensive, but worth it. Very worth it. Saved us from a very big mistake. Also saved us from finding out about the abandoned oil tank that somebody "forgot" to disclose. Even if you don't go with him, read his schpeal on his website about licensing home inspectors in NJ, there are very few qualifications required and little or no recourse if the miss something.

Brendan Brendan
Jul '15

2nd for Mike Brown.

Worth every penny. I have used him 4 times and wouldn't look anywhere else. His experience and expertise will ensure the best possible inspection and insight into your new home!

GreenerPastures GreenerPastures
Jul '15

Thanks for the responses! Pillar and Post seemed a bit pricey. I'll look into them all thank you again.

Homeowner11 Homeowner11
Jul '15

Eagle Home Inspections. Just used them. Ed is very knowledgeable and awesome at his job. Helped us out a lot.

Atthedrivein Atthedrivein
Jul '15

If you're looking because your buying a home, don't use a realtor's referral. They will nit pick little stuff to seem "honest " and thorough but hide the bigger problems or downplayed the severity. This forum has great people with experience dealing with this. While I don't know anyone, personally I can recommend, I saw my adult kids get ripped off on their home, via the above tactics. They kept us away from the buying process and now have buyer remorse. (parents do know anything until the "kids" are almost 30 years old. Then they use our life experience for input)

sparks1964jbc sparks1964jbc
Jul '15

I second sparks1964jc - I am not a home inspector but a licensed remodeling contractor. Last week I went to a home on behalf of a home buyer that was professionally inspected by a licensed inspector - he mentioned a beam in the basement that had a crack in it. The beam in his report was over-spanned and stressed, but a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

While researching the property for the customer, as far as I can tell, A major project was done on the home in 2004 - not legally, not engineered properly, and not inspected. There were several major structural issues - Other beams stressed way beyond what the inspector noted, missing collar ties which will lead to roof failure - and several other major issues. All told, I would guess the current owner is facing $75-100,000 in major structural and other remedial repairs that will completely alter the look and use of the existing home.

Needless to say, the sale fell through, the home was taken off the market, and the current owner had a very bad day...... But my friend avoided the money pit!

Caveat Emptor!!!!

I HIGHLY recommend Ron Demott with Better Home inspections, INC. He's very thorough and professional!

iknow iknow
Mar '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.