Cat boarding?

I am going away for a few days and am looking for a place to board my cat. Any recommendations?

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '15

I do house and pet sitting in the convenience of your own home. I am reliable, trustworthy, and affordable... Depends on where you are located as well. Use the envelope next to my name to private email me more.

awhite86 awhite86
Jul '15

Have you looked into Janry? They have quite the multi-level "suit" for cats to stay in.

http://www.janrypetresort.com/cat-lodging

I saw cats boarded once in a place in Hope. They were stacked one on top of the other and weren't let out. That's terrible. Getting a cat sitter to come to your home is a much better way to go. You and the cat will be happier.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

If you are only going for a few days you can just leave extra food and water. Whatever amount of food and water you think he will need, double it just to be safe. Cats are much happier at home. If you can have a friend or neighbor stop by that would be good but healthy cats should have no problems staying home alone for a few days. Make sure you have separate bowls of water in case he spills one.

Jesse Jesse
Jul '15

jesse is right, load up on multiple bowls of water, set out food, plenty of it, and clean the littler box.

3 -4 days is no trbl at all, if a week or more, have someone stop by your place and refresh everything.

i love cats, i'm a cat guy now, and am an admitted dog-only-convert, (i still love dogs as well, so you all can drop your keyboards right now), my wife fixed me of my dog-only obsession . . . . . .

cats are people too . . . . . . (they really are)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '15

I agree with the advice of adding extra food and water bowls. We also buy foil baking pans for one-time-use extra litter boxes, work like a charm

If you really don't feel comfortable with that get a pet sitter to stop by once/day. We use someone who stops to check on our 3 cats and dog for $22

While I love love LOVE Janry for dog boarding, and the cat boarding is a cute idea, I know that my cats would go nuts in those little "rooms"

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jul '15

I find cat boarding inhuman and it just does not work.

The little devils will never tell you the truth whether you cat-board them or just use passive interrogation.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '15

Great advice Jesse. That's what we did. All was well when we got home.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

One of my three cats is extremely introverted, so taking her anywhere is a real ordeal for her. I have a friend that stops by daily when I am away more than one night. I pay him $15/day and buy him some beer. He scoops the litter boxes, checks the water fountain, makes sure the auto-feeder isn't stuck and stays for a bit and plays with two friendlier cats. He also makes sure nothing is amiss with the house. Well worth it to me for the peace of mind.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

All cats are different. Some will tolerate being alone for long periods, others won't. Mine would never ever be able to be left with lots of food around. Mine would devour it all in one sitting and be sick. Other cats would nibble happily without a problem.

I did the cat sitter thing with my two recently. But the original question was boarding.

I always left mine home alone. She was a loner anyway. I had two litter boxes, and she used one for #1, and the other for #2. Did I say she was smart as well. She never ate a lot at once, so leaving two full bowls of food, and the dog's water bowl full worked great for a weekend. (she could also drink from the throne if need be.) Yes, she was very athletic and weighed only 7 lbs.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jul '15

As someone who works in a kennel, cats are MUCH more happier left at home. If you are only away for a few days, leaving out extra food and lots of water is a great option. Even have someone stop in once to clean litter box, refill water, etc. would work as well. Kennels aren't great places for cats—they're just not happy there.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Jul '15

I have someone very reliable come in 2x a day to feed, water and scoop - while giving a bit of loving to any who will accept it from a "stranger" ---It's the only way I can do it with my herd............and besides several go nuts in a carrier............

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

I'm an experienced cat sitter, plus I have 3 of my own ages 18, 7 and 6. I'm right I'm Hackettstown so feel free to message me using the envelope next to my name and we can see if I meet your needs for a sitter should you decide not to board them.

weebiekins weebiekins
Jul '15

@strangerdanger,

I thought along the same lines when I first saw the title of the thread.

All they do is sit and stare at you daring you to blink first.

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

Thank you all for the wonderful replies/suggestions - the situation is that we plan to be away for 3-4 days, we have five cats, all rescues (that we couldn't bear to part with after fostering), and the latest addition is a small, somewhat shy, young kitty that is sometimes "targeted" by the older and much larger cats; They chase her, play too rough with her sometimes and occasionally corner her, though they have never hurt her. I have comfortably left the older four home alone for a few days (extra litter boxes/water/food) with no problem, but am uncomfortable leaving the little one unprotected with them for so long - she sometimes needs a break from the others and likes to just sit with one of us for hours by the end of the day-there is usually someone home and she really prefers to be around humans - she became "ours" because she was living outside my office and decided that she really should come inside with me each day and go home with me when I left - following me around everywhere - and no owner found. So, I thought it best to find an alternative, safe place for her to be while we were away. I don't like the "stacking crate" cat boarding places and was looking for a place that might include some human interaction.

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '15

There is the Cat Chalet in Randolph that I have heard very good things about, or maybe someone would be willing to give your little kitty room and board for a few days.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Jul '15

Hi Pmnsk,
First, let me thank you for rescuing all the cats that you have. This is why I would not/could not foster an animal. I would never be able to part with any of them.
Also, I think it's wonderful how you have taken this little ones comfort and well being into consideration.

My name is Joyce and my business is PetPals. I do board cats in my home. I have a room that my kitty boarders use equipped with their litter box and a large cat condo and lots of toys. When I am home for the day my time is spent with those that I am boarding.

I can give you references of those clients who have me take care of their cat babies.

If you are interested or would like any information feel free to contact me.

PetPals PetPals
Jul '15

I know Joyce, have been to her big, loving, pet-friendly home, and recommend her without hesitation to all!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

Does anyone know of a person in the area that boarders cats in their home for a few days?

pvmom pvmom
Aug '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.