Fake stone panels

We had to demo our entire exterior chimney and we're now ready to rebuild it. Because of the increased footings, effort, weight and cost, we're looking at different alternatives to real stone. We'll frame it with wood and plywood. Originally was looking at doing a cedar shingle exterior, but also thought of fake stone. Has anyone had experience with some of the faux stone panels out there? They say some look very realistic and some don't.

http://www.fauxpanels.com/

thanks for the help!
BIll

Bill Scott NJ Bill Scott NJ
Jul '15

Hey Bill, Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but I do have some questions for you if you don't mind.

I was told my chimney needs to come down and I will likely go the same route as you regarding framing and fake stone.

I went to a few local fireplace shops (because I was looking to add a pellet or wood stove insert) and they either said they wouldn't touch replacing the chimney, or they said they'd give me a price and I never heard back from them.

My question is who did you hire to demo the chimney, and would you recommend them? Or did you do it yourself and if so how did that go?

TIA

Joe M Joe M
Jul '15

I know that Luna Chimney in Andover does this type of work. We have been using Ed Luna for years and have found him to be very reliable and honest. Some have said he is expensive but when we had a quote for relining our chimney and having a insert, he was in the ball park with others. He also returns calls and shows up.

ex sci teacher ex sci teacher
Jul '15

Called Luna Chimney for a quote came out to Hackettstown with I think his secretary charged one hundred dollars for the est which would be applied to the job and they never called back , STAY AWAY.

rapmuzik rapmuzik
Jul '15

I agree - I found them very expensive - and estimates for some work was really excessive --

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Dear Bill,

I am a mason in Hackettstown. I have a lot of experience with fake( culture stone ) stone and real (natural stone) stone. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Enjoy your evening.

Ron W

Ron W Ron W
Jul '15

I did the fake stone in the living room of my last house. Really looked good. I used cultured stone. You really had to be on top of it to see that it was fake. For the exterior of a house, I'm sure it would be fine. Cost is cheaper than real stone and yes, it's also lighter. I posted pics on the refacing a brick fireplace thread (it won't let me post the same pics again).

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

sorry - my mistake ---- Ryan & Son had quite high estimates............ Up on the Roof is installing a top damper for one of my fireplaces that leaks cold air very badly in the winter--- I'm most impressed with them...........but they don't do the refacing..........

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

We used Hearth and Home in Ledgewood for our last house and they did a great job. Nobody would believe that the "stone" on our fireplace and outside covering the chimney were cultured. They looked and felt real and we were very happy with the whole process.

Heidi Heidi
Jul '15

Hearth and Home quoted my neighbor and myself unbelievably high prices for gas insert and fireplace doors - the least expensive of which was well over $1000. She and I, separately, left laughing. They may do a beautiful job but their prices - at least the ones I was quoted - were ridiculous.

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Joe M...we used Bace Demolition out of Landing. They were reasonably priced and did the demo quickly. Only issue I had with them is they used a skid steer to demo and scuffed up/put divots in our paved driveway, even though I asked them if they should cover it with plywood. Other than that, I would recommend them

Jul '15

Im not looking to use the cultured stone which is about 30% lighter than regular stone. I'm thinking of using the faux stone panels, but would really like to see them in person and up close. Is there a supply store around here that has those?

Jul '15

BillScottNJ,

Check this out. http://www.exteriabp.com/stacked-stone-premium

I can special order this for you.

Collegeviewrider Collegeviewrider
Jul '15

Unless the chimney is literally falling down, you can just run a pellet stove sleeve right up it.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.