Hallmark Store next to Shoprite

Just heard a disturbing story that I hope isn't true. Apparently the owner of the former Hallmark store next to Shoprite was in poor health prior to closing. The landlord wouldn't honor a new lease if the business was sold to a new owner because Shoprite wanted to expand into that space. That means that the former owner got totally screwed after 40 years of hard work and at a time when he really needed the money for his medical care. Does anyone know about this?

Kyle Simms Kyle Simms
Jul '15

This may answer some questions.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/657014

Sadly it is true kyle

Irisheyes Irisheyes
Jul '15

Chester ShopRite is expanding to include curb-side pick-up. Wasn't their Hallmark near ShopRite? Maybe that is what is happening in our store. So sad that we had to lose Hallmark, if that is indeed what is going on. Still miss stopping in Hallmark whether to purchase cards or just browse. So many Christmas items bought through the years, sad. Sorry to hear about Norm. For me, very little changes for the better. I would never let anyone pick out my groceries so I would never use the pick-up. With the price of food, I want to choose what I feel is the best and freshest.

justwondering justwondering
Jul '15

Yuck- That ShopRite is the worst grocery store in our area. A&P, Weis, Shoprite of Flanders, Washington or Chester- They're all better. Sad we have to lose Hallmark's because of it.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '15

From what I heard they are expanding their produce section and adding a dunkin, like what Byram has in the front when you first walk in.

Irisheyes Irisheyes
Jul '15

Expanding their produce dept will do them no good unless they maintain quality. Every time I try to buy greens I end up not purchasing any. It's not fresh, brown on the edges, wilted.
Many times I have asked a produce worker if he could bring out better (squash / eggplant, etc)
If they were smart they would try to move out the old stuff by selling it cheaper -- then put out fresh vegetables and greens. They must be overbuying and not moving the produce out quick enough.

hapiest girl
Jul '15

I'm sorry to hear that. I miss the Hallmark stores. As far as Chester Shoprite I can't imagine what a mess the parking lot will be with a curb side pick up. That mall is a nightmare already.

Ollie Ollie
Jul '15

Kyle,
Let me set the record straight:
I made the decision to close, not the landlord. I was not "screwed" by the landlord.
Norm Baron

Norm Baron Norm Baron
Jul '15

Let's set the record straight with so many concerns as what I read you seem kind of harsh Good luck to you.

Kimmy Kimmy
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.