Dog friendly restaurants

anyone know places to eat with outdoor seating that you can bring a dog?

How lady How lady
Jul '15

it's probably best to leave your dog at home. I work in a restaurant and can tell you it has become a real problem lately....dogs are only allowed if they are service animals, and there are so many places online to get fake "service" credentials that it has turned into a serious issue. One person showed up with a full grown great dane they said was a service dog (bullsh*t).

eperot eperot
Jul '15

Great Danes are invaluable service dogs to many people who have balance issues.

But the OP is not looking to sneak her dog into a restaurant. She's looking for a place where dogs are allowed to eat outside.

There are a few places in Chester, if I'm not mistaken. I know I brought my little dog to a place and ate out on the porch with him and friends a couple years ago, and there was another small well-behaved dog, too. The restaurant is still there, right on Main St.; perhaps others will know the name... big place with I think a wrap-around porch.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

I say bull because it simply is not a service dog. These are very wealthy people who pull up in a Bentley Continental GT Convertible, park in a handicapped spot out front because they want to watch the car, and think they can get away with everything. Service dogs are well behaved and ignore everything going on. This dog was all over the place, knocked a chair over and startled some kids.

I'm a lifelong dog owner and lover of immense proportions. I just don't believe they really belong in restaurants unless they are a real, actual service animal.

eperot eperot
Jul '15

Also, they may disturb some non-dog customers.
Not to mention dog fur flying into your food when they trot by, shake, wag etc
Be considerate and leave your dog home.

Really?
Jul '15

Wish there were some nearby places as well. I recently spent some time living in Chicago and the new fad there seems to be a lot of pet friendly restaurants and bars, one going so far as to give the dog their own seat I heard (seems a bit to much). Though I did enjoy being able to go on a walk and stop somewhere with my dog and sit and relax for a while.

Andrew Andrew
Jul '15

Unless it is a service animal please leave your dog at home.

A couple of weeks ago my family and I were at an fair and observed a woman trying to back up from a dog that she tripped backwards over tent stakes and hurt herself. You could tell she was afraid. Not everyone is comfortable with dogs.

tidy
Jul '15

Great Dane's as service dogs.

http://www.servicedogproject.org

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

I'd much rather eat dinner with a dog than most of these spoiled snot-nosed brats and their entitled parents.

Most (but I'm sure not all) restaurants that have outdoor dining will allow your dog. Locally I have seen dogs at TOPO and Stella G's.

honey badger honey badger
Jul '15

+10000 to all posting leave your dog home. What is the need to go out to eat and bring your dog?? Only service dogs need to do that. NYC is doing it now and IMO it's ridiculous. Just like going to the store and bringing your dog and leaving it in the car while you shop. WHY??

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

+1000 eperot

outsider outsider
Jul '15

If a restaurant allows patrons to bring their dogs to sit outside, then the problem is with the restaurant and not the patron. So everybody should stop questioning why the pet owner feels the need to do this, as it is within the rules of the establishment.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jul '15

Portland is great for bringing dogs everywhere too, Andrew. Love it.

Honey badger - exactly. A dog has never disturbed me at a restaurant. Undisciplined children, on the other hand, do so regularly.

Glad there are a couple places right in town where people can eat out with their pooches.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

There are places dogs do not belong and, in my opinion, it's just not fair to the animal (unless it's truly a TRAINED service animal) to expect it to sit quietly in an outdoor restaurant and not react to all the strange people and food aromas.

About a month ago I was at a restaurant in Easton PA, and watched a woman with a dog in her lap sitting at a table. She proceeded to feed the dog out of her plate, even going so far as to put food on the table for the dog to lick off. I'm sure that is against Board of Health codes.

It's like the lady I saw in a food store about a year ago. She had her little dog sitting in the child seat of her cart; she'd put produce next to the dog, shop some more, and then change her mind and put the produce that was next to the dog back on the shelf!!

I like dogs; we have a dog. But when I'm going to a restaurant and pay money to sit and eat, the last thing I want is a dog at the next table. I don't care how well behaved it is, there's no reason for it.

+1000000000000 botheredbyuu2

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

Jerry - have you ever seen parents with their little kids at a grocery store or restaurant?? Kids put their mouths on everything - glass doors, cart handles - and I am quite sure there are LOTS of items that kids touch and lick that get put back on the shelf.

We went out to breakfast yesterday morning and the mess this one family of four left behind was disgusting. At least a dog will lick up the crumbs. :)

Jul '15

Rebecka, I'm guessing you're thinking of Publick House. Good food too.

We noticed a lot of outdoor dining with pets in Philly when we visited. Ours is just not super behaved, so we generally leave her home.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Jul '15

That's exactly the place, Tracy! OP How Lady - that is a great place to bring your dog - Publick House in Chester.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

Honey Badger,

I don't know if you have children...I raised three children and I wouldn't tolerate them putting their mouths on things in a public place, both for their protection as well as the respect I had for other customers. When my children misbehaved we'd leave; we wouldn't allow them to run amok as some parents seem to think is okay today under the mantra of "they're only children." When my kids did drop stuff on the floor we'd pick it up and NEVER think of leaving it. I guess I was/am old fashioned.

But...this thread is about DOGS, not humans.

I'm sure there are many well behaved dogs that would be okay in an outdoor restaurant. But what makes it okay for people to just assume that everyone there will welcome their animals with open arms? There are people who are afraid of dogs, have allergies to dog hair, or just want THEIR space respected as well.

For that matter, why do some dog owners think I welcome their dogs jumping all over me when I visit their home, either for a personal visit or a professional call? Please don't tell me your 90lb dog is "just saying hello" when I, as a stranger, pull up in my car and he stands next to the door barking loudly at me if I try to get out.

If dogs could speak, I'm sure a lot of them trying to find shade under a table in an outdoor restaurant would tell the owner that they'd much rather have been left at home in the air conditioning with a nice bowl of cool water.

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

Actually Jerry, this thread is about dog friendly restaurants - to which you have contributed nothing.

Jul '15

Actually Honey Badger...you havent contributed anything to this thread either.

NJSkyWatcher NJSkyWatcher
Jul '15

Actually, I recommended TOPO and Stella G's to the OP. Thank you.

Jul '15

Taco Bell, only if you have a Chihuahua though.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Jul '15

even if you are outside, can they tell you that your dog cant be there?

gypsymom gypsymom
Jul '15

Yes. If the outside is on their property they absolutely can.

eperot eperot
Jul '15

This thread seems to of spun a bit out of control. Obviously if your dog is not trained you should not bring it to crowded public places, it is asking for trouble. I have trained my dog under a professional dog trainer for a bit over a year, so shes very well behaved and she gets remarks for being so all the time.

If someone brings an unruly dog to a public outing that's more on the owner for not training their dog or making a bad judgment call. I love my dogs, though having a dog inside a restaurant still seems a bit much, as I'm sure there are some health issues. Though having a place I can take my dog with outside dining would be great.

Andrew Andrew
Jul '15

Time to rattle the cage since that's what this website is all about. Those complaining about dogs being allowed (by restaurant management BTW) at outdoor dining JUST DON'T GO THERE or sit inside...it's really just that simple. Now if I could just find a restaurant that didn't allow screaming misbehaving children........

Buffy Buffy
Jul '15

My dogs like people way too much and would want to meet & greet everyone so this would not work for us. I am a dog lover, but I would not want a St. Bernard sitting next to me drooling while I was eating lol. Dogs stink, shake, bark, whine, and pee so sitting outside would be the better option. Why not just do drive thru :) this way you and your dog can enjoy "eating out" together anytime without ruining it for anyone else!

I just wanted to know if there were any dog friendly restaurants. Restaurants with outdoor seating that allow you to bring a dog. I have a guest coming over and she is bringing her dog and I wanted to know a good place we could eat and still be allowed to bring a dog so we don't have to leave it at my house unattended.

How lady How lady
Jul '15

Circa in high bridge, verve in Somerville, Daveys dogs in mt Arlington... Bunch more if you get the bring fido app you put in the town and select outdoor restaurants and it gives a bunch

Firstworldproblems Firstworldproblems
Jul '15

Of course there are going to be some restaurants that allow it. (they don't want to turn away money)... but that doesn't mean there aren't non-dog people dining there that are bothered, may have small children who are afraid of dogs, or are just plain grossed out.

I don't care how much you love your mutt..leave it home.

Anyone who puts their dog above the other people around them is just plain selfish and rude.

I was at Long Valley View Pub this past weekend and they allowed people to eat with their dogs outside. I've done quite a bit of international traveling and dogs are allowed everywhere. There were several, well behaved, adorable puppies allowed on the deck where we were eating at the Brew Pub though.

red76nj red76nj
Jul '15

I'm really surprised there arent health code guidelines about this. I mean, I never really thought about it much before, but it is kind of gross. How often do dog owners bathe their dogs? I bet some go months. Yeah. Gross.

ThatsMeDC; ThatsMeDC;
Jul '15

So the fact that I like to enjoy eating outdoors without animals at the next table is not as important as whether someone's dog likes to eat outdoors??

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

Here are some in Hunterdon County

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guides/us/dogfriendlyrestaurants/dogfriendlyrestaurantsNJHunterdon_County.shtml

http://petfriendlyrestaurants.com/state/NJ

I wouldnt bring my dog because mine are too friendly and couldnt just sit without saying hi to everyone. However, I would love to see pups at a restaurant it would actually give me a reason to go there more. Just like I loved going to they eye dr in Mansfield bc he always had a big yellow lab behind the counter.

Nosila Nosila
Jul '15

If you want to drive to Easton, there are some restaurants with outdoor seating that allow dogs. And someone had told me about special Tuesday evenings in the summer where dog owners are encouraged to bring their pet and enjoy outdoor dining. I don't have any details on that though.

Well behaved dogs are a wonderful and welcome addition to restaurants as far as I'm concerned. Recently I've had to sit near adults discussing their bowel habits, making rude jokes (about sex near my kids) , and noisy children and worst of all people with those disgusting piercings that make giant holes in their ear lobes which makes me feel as if I'm going to vomit! Give me a friendly dog any day!

How Lady, I hope you and ALL your guests find a suitable restaurant.

Suze -- I agree.
I can't tell you how many totally obnoxious idiots I have had to dine in the proximity of. I'll take a well behaved dog anyday.

hapiest girl
Jul '15

I'm OK as llong as the dog is well trained and stays with the owner. I more grossed out with unvaccinated kids spreading human germs all around while I eat. ThatsMeDC.- My dog is bathed weekly=not gross.
Josh - I guess I'm just selfish and rude because I put my dog above most people.

Redwing
Jul '15

I yi yi! Some of these posts are crazy!! Dog hair, dog fleas, dog drool should be allowed in public eating places??? Go somewhere else?????
Dogs over people??? I just can't believe it.

Jul '15

This thread has inspired me to take one of my dogs out to lunch sometime very soon.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

I fail to see how a well-behaved dog lying on the ground outside is spreading fleas, drool, & dog hair. If so, would a service dog then somehow be different?? What about the other "wildlife"... bugs, birds (they have flying feathers, lice, & poop!) that can be found at an outside establishment.. By and large, these places are in the minority anyway, it's not like EVERY restaurant allows it. Does everyone here that has pets not allow them nearby when you're eating?? I doubt it.

And yes, I'm only speaking of well-behaved dogs, outside.

Davis Davis
Jul '15

Dogs on the patio at the Brew Pub won't bother anyone as much as the flies will.

Dogs on the patio of the Brew Pub won't bother me as much as some of the other patrons, LOL.

My husband and I love seeing well-behaved dogs out for dinner on the patio.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jul '15

Non service Dog are ok in out door settings of restaurants but not in side Restaurants and not in walmart home depot clothing stores and not in food stores and service dog are and have been welcomed and should be welcomed any where

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '15

Oh redwing, you're rude for soooo many other reasons. And based on your previous comments about dogs I'm not convinced you even own a dog.

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Jul '15

NoUseForAname- I didn't know that I was suppose to prove to YOU that I own a dog. Actually I don't really care if you're fracking convinced of it. You are probably referring to my support of leash laws which I support so people who supposedly love their dogs don't take the chance of losing their dogs. So I guess you can call me soooo rude. LOL!

BTW I think aname is actually spelled anime unless you meant to misspell it. LOL!

Redwing
Jul '15

Oh and I forgot dog "farts". Yea, want that while I'm out dining. SMH!

Don't get me wrong, I like dogs. Loved my dog. Not a crazy dog lover like some on HL, but I'm not a dog hater. Just don't want to eat with them. Your own, at home, fine.
Others, out, is not.

Jul '15

Actually Davis in my family growing up and in my home now the dogs are not allowed near the table when we are eating dinner. They are sent out of the area and they know that rule very well!

Right, bothered, because people never fart in restaurants! Lol. At least dogs don't know any better.

LOL Suze! So true!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

I'm going to bring a well behave hamster..... and a cat.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Jul '15

botheredbyuu2, you seem to be bothered by everything. Your tag name suits you well. I don't only mean this thread but most of your others all have negative connotations. I would love to see a positive post from you once in a while...throw us a bone.

Back to the topic at hand. I love dogs and I love seeing well-behaved dogs when I'm sitting outdoors eating. They are way less disruptive than some of the two-legged beasts walking around. The only reason I don't bring my boy is because as friendly as he is, he is also big and scary looking.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jul '15

LOL BrownEyesGuy. My cat would love to go out and eat with the family. Her shedding hair shouldn't bother anyone. What's a little animal hair in your food!!
She is well behaved too.

Jul '15

The bottom line should be, with regard to this topic and many others, for people to realize that when you are in a public place such as a restaurant or a pool or a park to understand that you are not in your home. Follow the rules, respect others around you and treat them as you want to be treated. Is that really so difficult?

This topic is so silly. Of COURSE dogs should not be allowed in restaurants!

Restaurants catering to dogs have turned something with good intention - allowing disabled people who need service dogs to be able to eat in a restaurant - into an entitlement to all dog owners, at the expense of people who are scared or otherwise don't like to eat at a restaurant with dogs.

For one thing, say everyone brought dogs to eat at the same time in a restaurant. So you have a mix of 50 pitbulls, danes, shepherds, labs etc. Massive barking. Some not well behaved. Some get loose, bite each other, whatever. It is inviting chaos, injuries and lawsuits. Crazy! Once you say someone can bring a dog, it means you have to let EVERYONE bring a dog.

With regard to service animals, we as a society have said that it is more important for disabled people to be able to enjoy life and we have to accept service dogs in every place of business. We have made an exception to allow disabled people to live life a little.

That is something of a rare occurrence. It is not supposed to be 50 untrained dogs in a restaurant at one time.

I am not a young chap and so far I have never returned a plate of food to a restaurant. I have never complained about anything at a restaurant. But if I went to a restaurant and there were dogs there that bothered me, I would say "Check please" or not enter at all faster than a non service dog could bark.

Also, I know people that wont go anywhere near a dog. You have lost their business.

If a restaurant chooses to allow non service dogs in, it is their right (I suppose, if it is not a health code issue). But they will have lost my, and likely others, business. And it should be against health codes because I am sure there are people that allow their dogs to lick the plates, forks etc.

Oh, and I have kids, and a dog. And I would never have even thought of bringing my dog to a restaurant.

What if I have a pet goat? Can I bring Goatee to the restaurant with me? Maybe goatee would like some lamb chop?

TM

Troublemaker Troublemaker
Jul '15

50 untrained dogs in a restaurant? You are the one who is being silly, and going off the deep end.

Just because you have never thought of bringing YOUR dog to a restaurant does not mean that those of us who happen to have beautifully-trained dogs who were born with just the right temperament cannot bring our dogs to eat on the patio of a restaurant that allows it.

Stop being ridiculous and intolerant.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

Troublemaker -
I guess you don't know many restaurants DO allow dogs. Here in the U.S. and world-wide. Here is one guide available JUST for New Jersey alone.

http://www.bringfido.com/restaurant/state/new_jersey/

I guess we won't be seeing you there!
;-)

hapiest girl
Jul '15

My sister invited me to a restaurant in Morristown that catered to dogs. I forget the name, but I think it was on South St. They had an outdoor patio and a special canine menu. There were about 10-12 dogs there that day and it was nice.

Obviously, Troublemaker has never been to a dog friendly restaurant. If he had he would realize how ridiculous his rant is. I've been to them and never witnessed the mayhem he described. But, this being HL forum I guess facts shouldn't get in the way of a good trolling.

Thanks happiest girl, I found where I went from that link you posted. Here is their website:

http://morristowndeli.com/outsidecafe.html

Rich,
I wonder if that was the Morristown Deli? They have a canine menu.

hapiest girl
Jul '15

lol..What is so ridiculous about TM's post? Obviously we all know just from living in society that people all have a different view on what they call "well behaved" weather it be kids, pets, or themselves for that matter. I have run into some not so friendly dogs in public .I have also seen dogs get into a fight at Pet Smart where dogs are welcomed daily, so what would be the difference in a restaurant?
Some people just want to do as they please with no regard for others therefore I have no doubt there may be at least a few unruly dogs that show up.

Beautifully well trained dogs, born with just the right temperament... hahahaha.. yeah guess not everyone can be so lucky

lol "whether"... guess I had the hot weather on my mind:)

Rebecka,

Before you start throwing around the word "intolerant" please think of how silly the "dogs are better than people" attitude is.

You and others are just as intolerant towards people that don't want to eat with dogs yet still would like to be able to enjoy eating a meal outside, too.

I'm sorry, people should not be with treated any less "tolerance" than animals.

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

"My dog is bathed weekly=not gross."

Really? How many times a week does your dog lick it's ass or genitals? Remember THAT next time it gives you 'kisses', sits on your couch, or worse yet..your bed.

If a person went a week between baths, it would be VERY gross. And people don't lick themselves and we use toilet paper and deodorant.

@Jerry - I don't throw words around. I choose them carefully. And I meant "intolerant."

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

Josh,
Unless you are living in a hermetically sealed bubble, your hands are touching all kinds of germs & bacteria --- including human fecal matter --- which you then wipe onto your face, rub into your eyes, and put in your mouth.

BTW --- you say people use toilet paper -- but do you know how many people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom? Guess what's on their hands.
A dog's tongue is cleaner than your unwashed hands.
lol

hapiest girl
Jul '15

What does a dog licking himself have to do with a dog sitting by my feet while I eat a meal outdoors? I leave the decision to the restaurant owner. If you don't want to eat there just move on to the next restaurant. The owner knows what will make more money for the restaurant. BTW watch out for that squirrelly squirrel that might be watching you eat. He may drop a little surprise on you when you're not looking. LOL!

Redwing
Jul '15

My friend just took their very well behaved jack russell to the Panther Valley pub and was allowed to eat on their deck.

On a side note I own two horses and there are at least 4 places in Blairstown that will give us carrots if we eat there (and we always clean up any messes).

red76nj red76nj
Jul '15

I personally have no issue with a well behaved dog at a restaurant.

I did see this story the other day I thought was interesting though. Before flying, people are getting notes from Dr.s that they need to travel with their pet for emotional support. Then the animal (dog, chicken, pig.....) can sit with them and they don't have to pay the fee to board a pet.

These are just pets and not trained service animals. The article is below.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Emotional-Support-Animals-Growing-Problem-on-Flights-318728371.html

Joe M Joe M
Jul '15

@Joe M - one of the news channels did a whole expose on this and showed how many people were going this way because it turned out be a lot cheaper than the boarding fees.

Conceptually I get wanting to bring your pet with you to the store/dinner but there are people with serious allergies and fear of these animals and I think it's really sad when a person has to leave b/c of this.

Bonv-
How do you see this as any different than any other open-air environment?
Dogs are at parks, county fairs, campgrounds, etc / etc.

hapiest girl
Jul '15

Rebecka,

Obviously, to you, your beliefs are more important than mine. What you want to do is more important than what I want to do.

To me, that plus the "if you don't like it go elsewhere" attitude certainly meets the definition of intolerant; especially when you insist animals are more important than people.

And I have a dog, but would never think of bringing him to a restaurant, outdoor or indoor. Why? Because I respect that there are people who might not want to eat next to a dog.

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

The fact is, there are lots and lots of restaurants to choose from. A few of those places allow you to bring your dog to dine outside. If you don't care to dine with dogs, you have many many other options.

We camped in Cape May and were really excited to have breakfast one morning with a dog friendly establishment. Each dog got a treat and water dish and the owner came out personally to say hello...to the dogs! Love it!

We (thankfully) live in a country with freedoms and choices. Although you may not care to dine with dogs, others don't. But why does it have to cause a fight? Why is it such a big deal?

I mean seriously how many times have you chosen to go out to dinner, get there, see a dog, and say "oh sh***, a dog, we can't go there?"

Jul '15

"I'm sorry, people should not be with treated any less "tolerance" than animals."

JerryG, Humanity in general has made me less tolerant. My pets have never let me down.

honey badger

You made a great point with your post. Spot on.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jul '15

Bound to happen, a service snake... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3199229/Missouri-man-s-service-snake-outrages-diners-El-Puente-Nixa.html

Some one once told me something I have never forgotten......"All animals have teeth, they use them to eat and defend themselves."

There is no place in any food establishment for an animal of any type, unless it is a service dog ...Period.

If you wish to bring your animal to any food establishment, please be sure to have a general liability policy in hand that covers your animal's behavior ..... regardless of any unpredictable incident.....since you will not do this....leave the animal home. You chose to have a pet , not the people in the food establishments .

Steven Steven
Aug '15

Steven, I don't think you understand. They aren't talking about bringing a dog to a normal restaurant. They are talking about restaurants that are set up, by design, to allow dogs. These restaurants, like the one in Morristown that I went to, encourage patrons to bring their dogs. This is advertised as such, so anyone who does not want to eat near dogs can just choose to go to the other 99% of restaurants that aren't set up that way.

Rich, I do understand , Here is the op's subject / statement / question ;
Dog friendly restaurants
anyone know places to eat with outdoor seating that you can bring a dog?

So as I said previously, Whom has the liability , should the dog unexpectedly charge at someone as they walk by the eatery ?

Additional insurance needs to be mandated by persons that want more freedom ( with more freedom , at least in this circumstance ) comes more "responsibilities for the animal owners" ...or in typical fashion, should an incident occur, will they then blame the establishment ?

Just leave the animal home or have your meal catered at your own home enviroment . Animals have fleas and ticks ...a fact ....why would you bring that to a facility that serves food !??

Steven Steven
Aug '15

Please keep your dog home and out of our restaurants! Not everyone finds fluffy cute and would like to enjoy our meal without your furry friend.

Larry Larry
Aug '15

If you have issues with dogs at restaurants then its as simple as...don't dine at restaurants that allow dogs. People on this site get so effin worked up. The OP just asked a simple question & this turns into communicable diseases & insurance issues.

Buffy Buffy
Aug '15

+1 Buffy.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Aug '15

Exactly, Buffy! Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about.

+2 Buffy.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Aug '15

May the pro-dog in restaurant people go to a restaurant that accommodates snakes and have a few slither past them as they chomp on their burger. According to the above, they will be forced to accept it or go to another restaurant.

Then we can tell them: "Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about".

TM

Aug '15

I would laugh if that happened trouble maker. That's the difference here. I really don't lose sleep over concerns about restaurants turning into safari parks. Lighten up, Francis.

No one should be opposed to smoking in restaurants either... unless they just like to complain.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '15

+10000 Steven and Larry. Dogs don't belong at restaurants. Just like they don't belong in hot cars. People should go elsewhere to eat if they don't want to dine with dogs? Really? Dogs come before people? Yea, ok!

Aug '15

There are plenty of restaurants in Viet Nam that are
happy to serve dogs.

Jimbo Jimbo
Aug '15

botheredbyuu2, would you say the same thing if you went to a dog park? Should people keep their dogs from the dog park because some people want to go there and don't want to be around dogs?

Of course what I said doesn't make sense, because one would say that the dog park is DESIGNED for dogs. Well, that's the same thing with these restaurants - they are DESIGNED for dogs. If you want to eat a restaurant designed for dogs, you should expect to be around dogs, just like if you went to a dog park, you should expect to be around dogs. No on was talking about bringing a dog to a restaurant not set up to cater to dogs.

And Troublemaker, the same thing applies to what you said- If I was going to a restaurant that explicitly catered to snakes, yes I would expect snakes slithering around. Of course if I didn't want that, I would go to "non snake-loving" restaurant.

Rich - restaurants are not designed for dogs. If a new restaurant opens and its designed for dogs, then yes, I would not go there. But if an existing restaurant starts allowing dogs, then that's absolutely ridiculous. I would not go there anymore. Point being, I don't want to eat with dogs. It's totally different then having a dog at home, so don't go there.

Aug '15

Very well said, Rich!

bbu2,

Just face it, there are people who post here who think their dogs are more important than other people.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I don't see why people should find themselves having to stay away from a restaurant they enjoy because they choose not to have animals around them while they eat...just because others think their rights as dog-lovers trump other people's rights to enjoy a meal of their choice, too.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '15

During a few trip to Europe (specifically Germany) over the past few years I was surprised at the number of dogs in stores and restaurants. I don't think I would bring my dog to those places (because I'm not sure how he would behave), but I had no problem with it at all. All the dogs were well behaved - unlike many kids I see in stores and restaurants here in the states!

Screaming Butterfly Screaming Butterfly
Aug '15

Tuscany Grill on rt 31 south by spruce run has outdoor seating and you can bring your dog. Must be leashed of course, common sense.

infogiver infogiver
Aug '15

I'm rather certain that the only ones with rights when it comes down to it are the restaurant owners, who can decide how to weigh profitability and their own desire in what type of establishment they want. If they enjoy dogs, or make more money attracting dog owners, end of story. Nobody has "rights" on someone's private property. Of course, this excludes government intervention :)

@maja,

Perhaps my use of the word "rights" may have been too strong, and I certainly did not intend to use it as a legal term.

I still don't understand why some people feel humans should take a back seat to animals.

I have a dog, and have had dogs off and on throughout my entire life. I would never think of taking my dog to a restaurant where there might be people present who do not want to eat with animals present or might have an allergy to dogs.

And If I'm already eating at a restaurant, and someone comes in with a dog and is seated next to my table, should I be forced to sit there and "deal with it" or should I have to leave so the dog can be there?

JerryG JerryG
Aug '15

Maja,

The Health Department and licensing boards may have some rights.

TM

Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.