Tax Bills - received?

Anyone get one yet?

jmo517 jmo517
Jul '15

Not yet.

Dansker Dansker
Jul '15

nope - and I called several times - finally someone returned my call and said, about a week ago, that they were still waiting for the county figures. I sent a check for the same amount I had sent before as suggested. Not so efficient - eh?

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

No not so efficient..but they want their money on time!

pampurr pampurr
Jul '15

It's not a big deal, when it is new tax bill month there is a extra grace period on paying your taxes, they are not due August 1st

Darrin Darrin
Jul '15

They actually don't pampurr, the month the bills come out they expect them to come late and give you an extra grace period. Looking at last years taxes they gave us a grace period until August 11th.

Darrin Darrin
Jul '15

What a joke. This is 2015 and these towns are in the 1970s. Can they post something on a website about the delay? I guess the public worker pulling a pension is too busy or just doesn't care...

What town is being discussed here?

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jul '15

Hackettstown of course. On the surface it just seems kind of a loose requirement on one end. And the fact that nothing is posted is bush league. (not busch,,. I checked)
So you call and nobody is there and then have to pursue it.

jmo517 jmo517
Jul '15

I went in last week & asked ... She said they should be mailed out next week. There will be an extra grace period until the 20th.

Toolboxsue Toolboxsue
Jul '15

It has to be the wait for the County. I haven't gotten my bill either and I'm in Oxford.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Multiple towns and the County portion is quite high, they really need to do something about the County taxes -- way too high...

Tax bill? Whats that? Lol! Just have it included in your mortgage and problem solved.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

Lol botheredbyuu2, not everyone has a mortgage....

Very true JRT. Also, some choose to not use a mortgage company escrow account to pay their property taxes.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Received today. Special note says 3rd qtr is due August 21 instead of August 1.

iJay can they post something on the website?
Did you check Hackettstown's site. Message right on the front page.
They were waiting on the county.

home town girl home town girl
Jul '15

Anyone in Mansfield receive their bill yet?

TreeTop TreeTop
Jul '15

Haven't rec'd mine yet in Indy.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jul '15

I just received mine today and of coarse it went up (I'm in Hackettstown).

True! Wasn't thinking.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

Mansfield - no

none in Allamuchy yet

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Did it go up more than 2%?

@iJay - 3.8%

2% cap plus uncapped items like pension and medical contributions? Thank your public workers for at least 1.8% if not more of the increase...

"at least 1.8% if not more" - In other words Jay, you're not only guessing you don't live here. Lots of people's tax bills went down. Not because of changes in spending but because of tax appeals. The rates had to be adjusted because the total ratable changed so much everyone else not winning an appeal has to make up for the difference.

True and true. But what is the total tax levy, increased above 2% right?

Jay - If you mean how much of an increase in revenue is the new rate set to create, then no. That would be the difference of 6.148 mill vs 6.089 mill for .98%. If you mean the overall spending that includes state and other money funds, the increase (cap or not) is about 1.58%.

When can you appeal your taxes? I wonder how often people are successful.

Molly
Jul '15

Word is the Independence rate will be up at least 2.8%.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '15

Oxford, not yet.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Got mine yesterday, Hackettstown. What is the fee for doing a tax appeal?

Dansker Dansker
Jul '15

Mansfield is usually late for the new tax bill and they give an extension on the deadline for payment. First or second week of August is when the "rent" bill for living here arrives. One never owns their house outright, even without a mortgage. You don't pay that rent, you get tossed out.

sparks1964jbc sparks1964jbc
Jul '15

"Under a state law adopted in 2010, property tax levies aren't allowed to grow more than 2 percent a year.

Some cost increases, however, are exempt from the cap. Those exclusions include costs for shared service agreements, health insurance, pension obligations, Length of Service Award Programs (LOSAP) for volunteer firefighters and first aid organizations, capital improvements, debt service and leases, recycling taxes and emergencies."

From: http://www.app.com/story/news/politics/new-jersey/2014/08/01/nj-tax-cap-limit/13464593/

As you can see there are a lot of exemptions to the 2% cap, most notably the health and local pension payments (I don't agree with "obligations") for our local public workers.

Sparks, what about that statement you made -- don't pay the taxes you are tossed from your home. Interesting system we have... more like a public mafia...

Received mine in Hackettstown yesterday, went up around 3.5%, funny thing I don't get a 3.5% raise every year....

Darrin Darrin
Jul '15

Yesterday.............

waterslideguy waterslideguy
Jul '15

OK, so I would definitely like to appeal my new tax bill...I printed out the appeal forms. I am confused as to what exactly I include as comparable sales? How do you find out the block/lot/qualifier info? What is the best website to get this info?

Thanks!

oceanmmi oceanmmi
Jul '15

Rec'd Indy tax bill today. The "grace" period is till 8-25.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jul '15

We received ours today for Indy. We appealed our tax bill in 2013 and won. Since then it's gone up $2000 as of today because of the reassessment Indy did and now this bill. This is ridiculous.

Rebecca Rebecca
Jul '15

This all helps keep your investment in good shape LOL!

At the end of the day, it is the total monthly payments. When taxes go up the value of the property is strained to go up and under heavy tax increases can go down.

Thank your public unions...

live in independence received ours today...even went down a little!!

maggie maggie
Jul '15

Allamuchy - up $54. a quarter.

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Percentage?

2.79 percent

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

nothing doing in white township yet either

vascinating vascinating
Jul '15

We need some austerity measures here. If we were paying 1% property taxes on market value 2% (not 2.79%) would be fair. Since I believe all of us are already paying 3%+ in property taxes annually against market value tax rates need to DECREASE until the 2% cap is hit (like in CA). This will mean a lot of consolidation of schools and police/fire but it can be done. We need politicians who have a CAN DO attitude; not just Trenton politicians who bow to the Unions...

Cap is only part of it Ijay; in CA they reduced the value to way earlier market values effectively reducing the rate.

NJ depends on property tax more than any other state deriving a HUGE part of our state revenues from home ownership. Completely disadvantages senior citizens and large property owners while advantaging those who don't own property or own small properties. We need to lower the reliance on property tax and replace it with a fairer system of consumption, value-add, and luxury taxes. Consumption = higher sales tax like CA's 8.25%. Some states, like TX got rid of income tax and uses a higher sales tax too.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '15

Tax rate in Independence went up 4.66% (3.027 up to 3.168).

r-man
Jul '15

The school taxes are "killer".

pampurr pampurr
Jul '15

I heard that we have to pay an extra %2 in capitol gains on the sale of a new jersey home if you move out of nj. True? If so, that's really extortion! Punished by high taxes here and punished for leaving.

Jul '15

Exit tax.

pampurr pampurr
Jul '15

sparks1964jbc - No, that's not true, there is no extra 2%. What you may have heard of called the "Exit Tax" is actually a withholding to make sure you still file as an out of state resident. They keep 2% of the sale that is applied towards your next tax filing. You then have the actual tax calculated and file a form to get back the difference. The amount of the tax is still the same, including a full rebate of the entire 2% if you lost money on the sale. However, the 2% is tied up until you can file to get it back.

Received mine yesterday. (Hackettstown). Not sure what the percentage increase is exactly, but more definitely more than last year. I believe my house is assessed about $20-$30 thousand more than market value. Is it worth appealing?

Collegeviewrider Collegeviewrider
Jul '15

Washington Boro came in yesterday. 0.8% increase, only taxes that didn't go down were the school taxes and they more than made up the difference :/

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Jul '15

$20,000 definitely sounds worth appealing. But remember you need to do the appeal after you get the assessment, not when you get the bills. Assessments go out in Jan and then you have until Apr to do the appeal. (May if it was an assessment year like other towns had)

Thanks GC.

Collegeviewrider Collegeviewrider
Jul '15

Just got my mail, still no tax bill.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

I'm in Independence and didn't receive mine either. Tax office said they were sent out on Tuesday and we have an extension until 8/25.

I rec'd mine from Indy yesterday. (Thursday) I have Hackettstown delivery. Pretty big jump this year.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Jul '15

Thanks for the clarification on the "exit tax", GC. Interesting.

Aug '15

Ms Fishy, I also live in Independence. My taxes really went up a lot! Do you remember when we were reassesed? Was it for this tax year or was it for last year. I'm not home right now to look at my old assesment. I can't remember and I'm just wondering.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Aug '15

Parental Unit, it was last year. All of our homes/property were devalued, however our taxes went up b/c the town still needs X amount of money to run. Will be hard to sell our homes.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Aug '15

Here's the rate increase breakdown in Independence, where nothing is capped at 2% - must've been meant for everyone else.

Muni Rate: 3.01% (0.498 increased to 0.513)
Cnty Rate: 6.23% (0.722 increased to 0.767)
Schl Rate: 5.00% (1.700 increased to 1.785)
Library and open space rates aren't even worth mentioning (0.06 or less).

This is tough to swallow considering inflation data for the first six months of 2015 suggest we are running at basically 0%.

For a home assessed at $250K, this equates to an increase of $362.50 from these three items alone. Using the full rates, where the Library Rate increase was basically nullified by the Open Space rate decrease, your tax bill went from, $7567.50 to $7920.00.

r-man
Aug '15

Still no Indy tax bill received. Has anyone else not rec'd. ?
I just emailed the town tax collector.

A good day
Aug '15

I'm in Indy and no tax bill yet either. Tax office said they were mailed last Tuesday. Shouldn't take that long to be delivered.

Called township and was told that they did go out last week and to wait until end this week. If not received they will issue a copy. ?? Is it the H town PO again? :)

A good day
Aug '15

Finally got mine. *&^%$#@! school taxes!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '15

Got my Independence tax bill. Surprise, surprise, up again. Maybe ill look for a third job...

Batman
Aug '15

First time buying a house... This may be a silly question...

If we pay each month towards our taxes, do we have to do anything when we receive our tax bill?

Thank you.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Aug '15

fujixt1 - Town's don't take monthly payments so when you say you're paying monthly towards your taxes you must be paying your bank in an escrow fund. When the taxes are handled that way, it's your bank that sends the check to the town. So long as your bank contacted the town and is getting their own copy of the tax bill, then there is nothing you need to do. At the end of the year the bank does an analysis of the escrow account and sees if you paid too much or too little. They then give you the option to carry over the balance, either positive or negative. Or you can pay any negative or get a refund check if it's positive. So nothing for you to do if you're paying through a bank escrow.

GC- Thank you for that. Yes, I am paying in an escrow fund.

Thank you!

fujixt1 fujixt1
Aug '15

Funny. Still no Indy tax bill rec'd. And I called the clerk Thursday and asked for a copy to be sent out. Maybe I don't have any taxes anymore. So happy.

A good day
Aug '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.