Any Mexican Restaurants in Hackettstown?

I know there are Mexican restaurants outside of Hackettstown, but are there any open IN TOWN?

Just Saying... Just Saying...
Jul '15

There aren't any strictly Mexican places, however Ashley's serves some Mexican dishes.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

You can also get Mexican food at Antojitos Y Panaderia, and what ever El Paraiso goes by these days. In addition there are catering stations with that type of food both at Rico Pan and Fruitmex.

Fruitmex has good lunch specials as does Ashley's.

I only went to Paraiso de Acapulco once but man were their tacos good. They had a fresh crispy version and a soft version. I think they're gone now?

I'll have to try Ashley's. I love authentic Mexican tacos. There are a few places near the office that are stupendous.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

emaxxman - Paraiso de Acapulco was replaced by Paraíso Salvadoreño. Haven't been there for a little while so I'm not sure but I thought that became something else as well.

I haven't been there yet, but I also believe Anita's Bakery was replaced by Mexican food.

Where was Anita's Bakery? I must have missed that thread. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Anita's bakery was what moved into the space that the Indian restaurant had, and was Hackettstown Sandwich Shoppe before that.

Where the Community Market used to be is Mexican. The quesidellias are pretty good, as is the salsa.

Sport
Jul '15

I really need to walk downtown and sample the goods more. I recently tried some empanadas from the grocery store near the tattoo place (see I can't even remember the name and have actually been there often.) They were great.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

emaxxman - That's "Fruitmex".

I think I've missed some good food here! I like Rico Pans empandas, love the hot sauce you can get with them. Will have to try them from Fruitmex.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '15

Sport -
The Mexican place at the former Community Market -- Do you know the name of the place? Wondering if they have a menu online (want to see if they have anything vegetarian)

hapiest girl
Jul '15

Ah yes. Thank you. Not sure why I have such a hard time remembering its name.

Rico Pan's are good too. They are more a cornmeal crust while Fruitimex's are like a samosa. Both excellent.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Taco Bell perhaps?

1988LK 1988LK
Jul '15

Ashleys has good food!! Tacos are delicious

townie14 townie14
Jul '15

I think it was "Angelina's" - the old Hackettstown Deli.

Definitely Mexican now - cute tables with palm umbrellas on the side of the building.

Can't comment on the food.

Anyone??

Ashley's is Central American cuisine, and it's delicious and very reasonably priced!

HHSfan HHSfan
Jul '15

Thanks GC. I remember the thread about Anita's now. Well, that didn't last long.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Taco bell isnt in Htown. It's in Mansfield.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

According to the posts on another thread you can get lots of Mexican food at the Hackettstown pool on weekends. In fact, according to several posters, the food is exclusively Mexican.

yankeefan yankeefan
Jul '15

I always heard that Mexicans don't grill because the beans keep falling through the grate (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

botheredbyuu-that part of Mansfield may as well be Hackettstown. Really it's close enough, less than 1 mile from "the border"

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '15

ianimal, do you know Metsman from the Hackettstown pool thread?

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

I love Rico Pan but it's not Mexican..it's Colombian. The restaurant in High Bridge has excellent authentic Mexican cuisine, but I can't remember the name of the place.

positive positive
Jul '15

Well then, they make great Colombian Empanadas..doesn't matter who makes them as long as they're good :) I think it's Casa Maya in Highbridge. Calico is a fan. It's on my list of places to try but I don't often go that way for anything. We're actually fans of Fiesta Ole in Whitehall.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '15

Not sure of the name of Mexican restaurant on main. I think Emma's!?

Sport
Jul '15

That's it Bessie, Casa Maya.Thanks.

I agree that it doesn't matter whether it's Colombian or Mexican..Rico Pan's empanadas are excellent. My point was that the OP specifically asked about Mexican places. Just saying, not debating. Lol

positive positive
Jul '15

I've never met him in person, JerryG. Why, were you offended by the joke that was first told to me by my Mexican-American fraternity brother? Would the potato joke that was told to you by my Irish-American fraternity brother offend you just as much? Or are you a "racist"?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

We go to Casa Maya a lot; they have another location near the great swamp in Gillette. Highbridge is worth the drive and gives you time to settle on the way back. BYOB.

Have a white wine-marinated cactus that's different, and good. All the traditional stuff is good, might be different than you are used to like shredded beef instead of ground, spices, etc. And a couple of Queso appetizers to die for if you like cheese. Warning: if two of you and you order the Queso, get ready for the box to take home......

Only sad note is I am not a fan of their gazpacho; tastes like the salsa.

Menu's online.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '15

ianimal-Don't listen to him, he's one of those ultra-PC liberals that can't take a joke if it's related to race, gender, or sexuality...unless it's about straight, white men.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '15

1988LJ, you're wrong. There are a lot of things I find funny...but that list doesn't include jokes that make fun of people different than me. There's a tremendous difference between humor and belittling comments that the people targeted by those comments find personally offensive.

For example, I'd never find a joke about a racist or a bigot to be funny.

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

"Taco bell isnt in Htown. It's in Mansfield." - botheredbyuu

Ahhh. See? Just because a place shares a zip code doesn't mean it shares a municipality. ;-)

Aquarius Aquarius
Jul '15

JerryG- Yes, I understand, but he wasn't making a that would be highly offensive to every mexican. He wasn't saying something like: "What's the best kind of mexican? a dead one", which would offend even myself. I highly doubt that if you asked any mexican they would be offended by the "bean" comment, and if they were so weak and miserable to have been offended by such a well-intended comment that they deserve more jokes at their expense.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '15

some posters (jerryG and a few others) need to re-acquaint themselves with their sense of humor,

the PC crowd will legislate all humor as being pejorative/labeling/stereotyping something. in the near future expect all stand up comedy to be outlawed by the 'politically correct' paradigm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXDHjwaUtPI

i agree with jerry seinfeld that there is a 'creepy PC thing' going on nowadays.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '15

"I know there are Mexican restaurants outside of Hackettstown, but are there any open IN TOWN?"

The Man The Man
Jul '15

Let's put it this way, are there any "Mexico City" Mexican food restaurants in Hackettstown? Examples outside of town are Don Jose and Fresco...

I twitched when I saw Iman's joke but soon remembered that beans are a traditional part of many Mexican meals. IMHO this is not an ethnic joke belittling Mexicans unless you somehow draw a connection with the stupid name some apply to those folks.

However, then Iman doubled down with the "by my Mexican-American fraternity brother" defense which is never a defense of ethnic joke. To think that a person belonging to a group can not tell an ethnic joke on their own group or somehow that the joke is appropriate because a member told it is silly. Not only that but it points out the token nature of Iman's frat :>) Otherwise it would have been one of my.....

I know this because I am close friends with a............

The neat part of all this is that is we work to rid ourselves of these belittling ethnic and regional jokes, our kids might grow up never even knowing what it was like when everyone told them.

Jul '15

"the PC crowd will legislate all humor as being pejorative/labeling/stereotyping something. "

I didn't find ian's comment to be racist but jerryg is allowed to feel however he wants. I do have to say something about this general mentality regarding BD's comment (and it's not just BD - it seems to be a prevailing thought with the "non-PC" crowd.)

To what extent are you allowed to make fun of someone or some group before it's becomes unacceptable? Are there groups that it's OK to be fun of?

As an example, as a kid, I used to call people "retarded" all the time as a way to make fun of them. Does anyone, PC or not, really think that that's a nice thing to say these days? Retarded used to be the scientifically proper term to describe those with mental challenges. We now use "mentally challenged" because the old word had assumed a derogatory and hurtful connotation. Is it so wrong for people to now want to use the new phrase?

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Emaxxman, I hate that PC term thrown out whenever you can't say whatever you want. I don't call it PC, I call it being a decent human being. There are terms that I still use out of habit and try to catch myself. If i:m called out on it, I don't start whing that I should be using the "PC" term, I kick myself for not being nice. As always, that's how I feel about what my conduct should be, doesn't have to be for everyone.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '15

Lol, really? It wasn't a "defense"... It was the truth.

I think it was sophomore year and it was the first spring day with sun and temperatures in the 70s. A bunch of us skipped afternoon classes and headed to Branch Brook Park with a cooler full of beer and a hibachi. We spent the afternoon playing frisbee and shooting the breeze.

After we got done eating, Rogelio says "that was great. We never barbecued when I was growing up." Somebody replied "Really? Never?"... to which Rog deadpanned "My dad tried once but the beans kept falling though the grill". We all laughed our asses off for a really long time.

It's a joke about a food staple, not anything inherently derogatory about a group of people. Would it have gotten the same reaction if it were Italians not grilling because the spaghetti fell through the grill? Or Asians with rice? It might be a stupid joke, but you've got to be really looking to be offended to go any further than groaning at its ridiculousness.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Yet another example of selective comprehension rearing it's ugly head..can't say I've not been a victim of it as well.

So much misinterpretation on the internet and texts, since body language and facial expressions are not being seen as they would in person.

However, you can make yourself perfectly clear in writing and you will still get some people who will twist your words for the sake of their own agenda.

positive positive
Jul '15

Bessie I totally agree about the PC term. Just because I think a certain way..I'm labeled as being PC and a liberal. That is ridiculous. No one wants to be labeled according to their opinions and how they feel.

positive positive
Jul '15

"I call it being a decent human being"

You got it 100% correct.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Re: Any Mexican Restaurants in Hackettstown?

"Or Asians with rice?"

I take offense at your implication that you can't grill rice.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Grilled idli? Sweet.

I grill beans all the time.
Ever hear of aluminum foil?
And large lima's are great on skewers with tomatoes and squash.

hapiest girl
Jul '15

Concerning Ashley's..... who is the landlord for that building? The apartments on the second floor above the restaurant are absolutely disgusting!! I cannot believe a food establishment would be allowed to be housed under the same roof with a 2nd floor roach motel!

Mary C
Jul '15

Mary - If you believe there is a problem, call the Board of Health with your concerns instead of posting here about it.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

OMG..how disgusting...

pampurr pampurr
Jul '15

Yeah Iman, I get you. It's a funny joke, not really belittling an ethnic group but about a typical food, and the story was told to you by your friend, the frat bro ethnicity that the joke is really not about. I am really not talking about the joke which was OK by me.

It just sounds funny when someone says "My friend the xxxxx told me" and therefore the joke about the xxxxx's is therefore OK. We all do it, I do it. In your case I get it, but often it sounds like: since xxxxx said it, it's OK, I have xxxxx friends, at least one, therefore I understand the xxxxx's, etc. But I get it, I've done it, but I try to make my defense without pulling that card, the "I know an xxxxx" therefore it's OK" card. It possibly might sound like your token frat bro who you probably never see anymore to ingratiate himself amongst the frat peers told a self-depreciating ethnic joke on his ethnicity as a "beaner" in order to fit in amongst the white majority. Or it's possible that his anecdotal joke in truth is totally offensive to every other Mexican on the face of the planet.

That's the thing about PC. It's not just about right and wrong. It's about listening to what others hear and being sensitive to their feelings. Sometimes even when you are really doing no harm, others might see what you are doing as demeaning or worse. Sure, you shouldn't have to change, it's OK, they should just grow a pair. You have never done a racist thing in your life. But sometimes it's OK just to avoid those commonplace words that others might not appreciate. It's a choice.

I try to avoid the "my friend the xxxxxx" as an explanation of anything I say since it really never proves that what I said has any validity at all. But I do it all the time because it helps to reference the comment as an explanation. Like I said, I get it, no harm, no foul. I was just pointing out what others might hear and why the "my friend the xxxxx" is a weak explanation or defense (not that you were explaining or defending or :>))))" No harm, no foul.

Jul '15

I wonder if it's possible to start any topic and not get into a rant. It always seems to be the same people bickering about things. All I hear is complaining.

So, I have to ask then:

Are there any restaurants, in Hackettstown, that someone has been to, that they would recommend to get Mexican style food? Are there any other Hispanic restaurants that are recommended? Honduran or Colombian or Guatemalan?

Sorry for asking about the restaurant and getting this hijacked thread back ON topic.

MikeGuida MikeGuida
Jul '15

No. Mike is is not possible.
This has been proven several times.

I think there is a new Mexican restaurant in Town, but I haven't been there.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Jul '15

The new Mexican is the one we've been discussing that went into the old Sandwhich Shoppe.

Mike - I'd say Fruitmex lunch specials for Mexican style. At Ashley's I would recommend the Costa Rican gallo pinto and their steak and stewed onions if you want other Central American food. Ashley's does have good food, but there are some items I don't care for.

Re: Any Mexican Restaurants in Hackettstown?

The new Mexican is called Emma. Basic Mexican usuals - tacos, tostadas, sopes, burritos, enchiladas, choice of fillings. Also have grilled steaks and breakfast type foods too.

Not wanting to just sit on my hands, here is today's order: chicken burrito left, and chorizo tacos right. Tacos are double tortillas and then wrapped to keep fresh. Very nice fresh chopped tomato and cilantro with it. Great size for the burrito topped with queso fresco and salad on the side.

WOW! That burrito is HUGE! Will have to try it.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Do you have a picture of the couch that you napped on after eating all of that? All looks good. I'll have to check this place out.

Hopefully they have a good spicy homemade hot sauce or salsa. I went to a place in Bethlehem (Mexico Lindo) recently. Their tacos were very good and fresh but when I asked for a spicy hot sauce, the lady pointed to a generic store bought bottle. Blasphemy! Any respectful joint will have their own homemade hot sauce. Fieste Ole (Bessie's favorite...lol) has a great red tomatillo-based hot sauce.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '15

Looks good. I hope they have tacos with cilantro and onions....and corn tortilla...

Jul '15

BrownEyesGuy -
There is a menu online -- but it is in Spanish.
Maybe someone can translate for you (if you don't read Spanish).
I would want to know if anything is vegetarian.

hapiest girl
Jul '15

hapiest girl - Is that the one on the Facbook page? I don't have Facebook and so can't get into that. The current menu is bi-lingual so there's no problem for anyone. But I was told today they don't have menus that I could take with me. They said those were just being picked up and would be available later, and the in house ones were all laminated. The other on line menu I saw was more of a ordering system and not really the menu. Even though some things were Spanish names, even a complete non speaker like me knew the names that often were the same. I'm pretty sure BEG won't have any problem with it.

emaxxman - No cot necessary. That was not my lunch. I got that to go for later and just sampled it.

BEG - Si. That's exactly what you see in the picture - plus a couple of fresh sliced lime wedges. Chorizo nice and spicy too.

I'm not a fan of the decor though. The subway tile bar suited a bakery displaying their cakes and pies. It takes up too much room and is too high for a sit down place. But the food passes muster, so nothing wrong with some take out.

hapiest - The menu shows guacamole and chips, quesadilla (which I'm sure you can get with just cheese). Other than that, not much. You might be able to have them make a burrito with just rice and cheese. Be sure to leave out the refried beans, as I'm sure they contain lard.

http://www.allmenus.com/nj/hackettstown/485400-emma-mexican-restaurant/menu/

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Guess I'll have to roll my own burritos!
Anyway, I found a good brand of refried beans that is organic - Field Day.
The refried pinto is tasty and the refried black bean has a good chili kick.

hapiest girl
Jul '15

Fresco in Chester is the bomb............but we have tried Ashley's many times and we love it. Actual hand cooked food. Not the processed junk.............consistently good every time. Got turned on to Paraiso de Acapulco yesterday and went to try it but they are closed on Tuesdays............go figure.

waterslideguy waterslideguy
Jul '15

I meant Paraíso Salvadoreño...............sorry.

waterslideguy waterslideguy
Jul '15

I'll have to give it a try.
I love good tacos.....by the way I have no issues understanding Spanish....
Can't wait to try some chicken tacos...

Jul '15

Thanks for the menu, will give it a try.

Looks to be better than the typical tex-mex, can't wait.

Jul '15

Why Mexican? When Peruvian food is hundreds times better

Joseph Joseph
Sep '16

Because the OP asked about Mexican restaurants, not a poll on best ethnic cuisine.

Joseph,

When you resurrect the dead (this thread has been deceased for over a year), at least be witty about it.

Bemused Bemused
Sep '16

Joseph loves a good grilled guinea pig... can't fault a man for that.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

Personally, I prefer Ecuadorean guinea pig...it's hundreds times better than Peruvian.

Bemused Bemused
Sep '16

Ok where is Peruvian food in Hackettstown?

not sack
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.