This is Nosey she will be giving rides at Sussex county fair

http://savenoseynow.org

Thank you for sharing. Elephants are amazing and some of their stories are just so sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF8em4uPdCg (I still get sniffles at around 3:46)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjDH_QZd0ok

Senator Lesniak has written a letter to USDA regarding Nosey. https://twitter.com/senatorlesniak/status/618536879282081792

He has also written a letter to NJ State Fair, asking them to reconsider having Nosey at the fair. I'm trying to contact local Senators, to ask that they also contact State Fair Organizers to cancel Nosey. This is anything but entertainment. And also a potential danger to children. The owner/handler of Nosey has been cited over 200 times with the USDA. It's time to retire this poor animal.
If anyone can make calls to their district Senator, asking to put a stop to the appearance of Nosey at the fair, that would be great. Only the politicians have the power to make the difference.

I will sign the petition. I didn't realize how bad it is for elephants like Nosey. Thank you for the education. So sad.

kkjones25 kkjones25
Jul '15

Years ago this fair was held in Branchville up until 1976. And this was at the time a true country fair.

Unfortunately this fair and it's horse show have been so commercialized it isn't a country fair anymore. The prices have soared for entrance fees and horse show classes.

This poor elephant has been overworked for years and looks very sad indeed. Senator Lesniak is a true animal advocate that I have had the pleasure of dealing with.
Thanks for sharing this petition. LH Make sure it goes on FB so all the animal advocates can sign it. The fair also has a FB page, you might want to put commentary on there.

pampurr pampurr
Jul '15

This is just wrong!

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Please make calls to state fair organizers. We all have to do what we can for Nosey. The fair website immediately has been deleting postings about Nosey. In addition the owner of Nosey has changed her name to Tiny due to the backlash he's been receiving about Nosey. Thank you everyone for doing what you can to help Nosey. Please share with others.

I signed the petition. I hope it helps Nosey.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Can you go to the fair with some signs and flyers about Nosey? I would help.

I signed. I hope she is helped.

A good day
Jul '15

I just signed the petition as well. If everyone posts on their fb page as well, maybe this will help get to the 200,000 mark.

justcurious justcurious
Jul '15

Signed and shared <3

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jul '15

Signed and shared. Thank you for shedding light on Nosey's terrible situation.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

I thought I saw online that there have been other petitions in past years. What more can be done? I would like to help more.

A good day
Jul '15

What about going to the fair with signs saying that no one should ride an elephant who is so arthritic that she can hardly bear her OWN weight, let alone the weight of others on her back?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

That is a good idea. It is just so unfair and cruel.

A good day
Jul '15

Here is the PETA page to send a message to the fair organizers:

http://www.peta.org/action/action-alerts/nosey-needs-help-new-jersey/

And here is a FB page for Nosey that shows what protesters with signs for Nosey look like. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nosey-The-Elephant-Needs-Our-Help/207161135983376

My guess is protesters, possibly PETA-led, are already planning on being there. We could certainly join them!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

I contacted a few of the executive directors at the state fair. Their numbers are listed on Sussex county state fair website (contact us). Sounds like they have received some calls already. The more pressure they get , better chance for Nosey. Thanks Rebecca for finding that link. I did see a number of Facebook postings, regarding protests for Nosey. I did not see any scheduled yet for Sussex county fair. Thanks everyone for trying to help Nosey.

It sounds like the fair is getting pressured to cancel Nosey (aka Tiny).
If you disagree with Nosey being forced, to give rides. Please call state fair executives and ask them kindly to cancel Nosey, due her deteriorating health and for the safety of children attending the fair.
http://www.njstatefair.org/contact.html

Additionally footage of Nosey and her deteriorating condition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L72puVWxDOQ

Nosey should be placed in one if the retirement communities for elephants and other animals. Is PETA working on this? I will read their material but thanks if anyone knows.

A good day
Jul '15

Great post - signed and shared. Our annual trip to the fair will be much more pleasant without having to see this poor animal mistreated! Thank you for bringing attention to this.

Carrie Carrie
Jul '15

Many groups are trying to get Nosey, into retirement. As long as Liebel (Nosey's owner), continues to make money off of her, he won't give her up. That's why it's so important to call state fair executives Monday, and ask that they cancel Nosey. This would set a chain reaction where other venues would refuse to book Nosey. This would leave Liebel no choice but to retire Nosey.

https://www.facebook.com/events/141730332828147/

Prostest 12pm to 3pm

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jul '15

I did see that a protest will be held for Nosey, this Friday noon to 3pm. If you google: Nosey protest NJ Sussex county fair. You should see it listed. Thank you I was really hoping they would have canceled Nosey's appearance at the fair, by now.

Can some group just thriw some money at her "owner"? To give her up. If I had more money I would pay people at the fair not to ride her! Hmmm....can we do this?

A good day
Jul '15

Groups have tried. Liebel will not give her up as long as she's making him money. I hate that Nosey (aka Tiny), will be out there in this heat forced to give rides, in her condition.

We will be there Friday.

A good day
Jul '15

Called Barbara Wortmann director of fair and left message on her VM asking if Nosey would be there. Will let you know if I hear back from her.

A good day
Jul '15

Thank you 'A Good Day'. I tried reaching out to her also. Only got vim and left a message, I have not heard back. It's so hard to hear and think about Nosey's situation The encouragement to keep at it, comes from hearing from people (like yourself), that do care, and want to help her. Thank you so much for doing what you can for Nosey.

By the way they are referring to her as ''Tiny' at the fair, to avoid backlash.

I wonder lf the elephant sanctuary in tennessee is aware of Rosey? Janster

janster janster
Jul '15

I signed. This makes me sick to my stomach.

A good day,
Can you supply Barbara Wortmann's number so others can call
Thank-you

hapiest girl
Jul '15

Her contact info is listed here:

http://njstatefair.org/contact.html

Thanks @Greg. I've sent an email with the links to this distribution group: thefair@njstatefair.org; bwortmann@njstatefair.org; kvincent@njstatefair.org; cferrone@njstatefair.org; kcafasso@njstatefair.org

I called one of them not Barbara cause her line was busy. When I asked the person about Nosey at the fair she said that was above her pay grade and she would transfer me to Barbara. I was polite:).

A good day
Jul '15

I saw Nosey at the fair. Very very sad.
Nosey was next to the Pig Races and the announcer at that race referred to her as "Tiny"
When I went to the information booth to inquire if "Tiny" was actually the 'renamed' Nosey (renamed for obvious reasons) I had to talk to 3 different people and only after much prodding, finally someone admitted that it was indeed Nosey.
I said "OK, I thought so because she looked very old and so feeble and was having difficulty walking." The man in the information booth laughed and said he was old and feeble too (some overstuffed butterball man in his 30's or 40's) I said "no, you look strong and healthy as an ox."
Interestingly, as I stood looking at Nosey for quite a while to observe her condition, the owner of this animal never took his eyes off me, staring me down. I don't think he knew I saw him doing this, as I had sunglasses on and was faced towards the elephant, but he stood there for the good few minutes I observed Nosey, observing me. Very strange indeed.

hapiest girl
Aug '15

Would it help to contact the media? Maybe NJ 12 News?

NJ State Fair : NJSPCA is very aware of the "issues" surrounding the topic of the Elephant at the Fair. Many people love the elephant ride and many people hate the elephant ride. The Law here in NJ allows this and the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) issues the permits that allow these shows. The NJSPCA closely monitors these animals while they are here in our state. We make sure the animals are treated humanely according to NJ Title 4 Law while they are here. We are not here to judge what is right or wrong but to ensure that the animal is treated humanely. NJSPCA monitors the elephant (Nosy / Tiny) every two hours and very closely watches over her. The misinformation posted online about her time here in NJ is overwhelming. We are on this and Capt sees her every two hours. Thanks to all who truly care about the animals. Capt

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

Thanks for the information. It is good to hear that NJSPCA is "monitoring" this, but it seems the overwhelming objections and concerns are valid.

Understandably, some people like the ride, and see no problem if the animal is not "abused". What I think some are expressing is an ethical issue.

It may be a great attraction, and perhaps the animal is not outwardly "suffering", but the question remains, is OK to have an amusement, at the expense of a magnificent, regal creature?

She should be retired . And no it is not ok to exploit animals.

A good day
Aug '15

Don't misunderstand - I am totally against this type of exploration --- just sharing some information I found on the subject.

5catmom 5catmom
Aug '15

Upcoming protest planned in Wharton
https://www.facebook.com/events/1590213984573329/

****PLEASE ONLY click GOING if you are physically able to BE THERE***

****NEW PROTEST FOR NOSEY****
Wharton, NJ at the Canal Day Festival

Hugh Force Canal Park
170 West Central Avenue
Wharton, NJ 07885
(For your GPS)

Saturday August 22
Fair is open 10am to 5pm
Protesting all day!
Please try to get there as early as possible.
WILL POST WHERE WE ARE GATHERING SOON!
Please read through all posts frequently for updates.

Some signs provided, but please try to bring your own.

Remember she is called TINY here. Any signs should be made with TINY. Or simply The Elephant. Some festival goers react to THE ELEPHANT better than just TINY.

If you have big stickers or photos or just draw one of Elephants that is great too! People just glancing at a sign will SEE THE ELEPHANT and intrigue them to read further!

Learn more about Nosey aka Tiny at www.savenoseynow.org
#Life4Nosey

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.