Vegetable Garden 2015

Vegetable Garden 2015

Didn't see this topic started for this year. Just picked some fresh veggies.

Grew the cucumber from seed and the Japanese eggplant from Home Depot.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jul '15

Re: Vegetable Garden 2015

Deer are eating my cucumber plants this year:( first time ever a deer problem with my garden. Was able to get 4 good ones before they got the leaves. Hopefully the remaining cukes grow.

Cherie Cherie
Jul '15

Deer got all my tomatoes, first time in 20 years. :(

vicnity vicnity
Jul '15

Grew pumpkins and aweet peas.

cupcake
Jul '15

Bounty from the other day. Snow peas, garlic, red cabbage, green onions, radishes, carrots, jalapenos, red onion, white onion, leeks, and mustard greens. Weather has been great.

vicinity, deer have been eating my tomatoes (what they can reach over the fence, for the past few years. It is odd. They've never touched them before.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

The only thing I have is tomatoes. Some insect ate the leaves of my eggplants and peppers. I planted sweet peas and they started growing and were eaten within a week by something. Very frustrating. I have a 10x10 caged in garden so the deer don't bother it but we did have a baby groundhog hanging around.

Diane12 Diane12
Jul '15

Do you start from seed or buy the plant? Next year I am not growing from seed so I can get a head start. (And not as much work)

I built a 6 foot fence for now around my garden.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jul '15

Very nice fujixt1. I do a combination of plants/seed. Radishes, carrots, beets, peas are from seed. Everything else is from plants and garlic I started in the fall from bulbs/cloves.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '15

More of our orchard harvest than garden spoils... but I'm still excited nonetheless. Making 2 apple tarts tonight.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '15

My husband very casually planted a couple of gourd plants and they are now taking over the whole area and we are experiencing a bumper crop of adorable little gourds. I think our first tiny white pumpkin is almost ready to be harvested. We even have some of those cool bumpy ones and the yellow and green ones. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '15

Not our best year, a couple of pea pickings, lots of beans, a few beautiful yellow and lots of green squash, same with cucs, good number of peppers a few egg plants and lots and lots of tomatoes.

Too much rain followed by too much heat makes garden a sad boy. Raised beds handle the water, but missed watering on hot days, bad timing. And then the sleet destroyed everything and had to recover from that massive damage so frankly amazed we got any squash at all.

Got this yellow egg squash, tastes "nutty," best I ever had.

Moving from cocktail to small tomatoes: smaller than a racquetball. Less splitting than normal sized, eatable like a cocktail, but get four to six pieces per for salad versus two on a cocktail. Still do massive Roma's for sauce.

Will probably do all pole beans next year; tired of leaning over :>(

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '15

Ok year. Lots of tomatoes as well, including some large cherries that seeded themselves. Tons of jalapenos, carrots, radishes, poblanos, banana peppers, onions, cabbage, and garlic. I have two eggplant, that's it. I did get my first crop of celery root ever this year. Bad year for cucs, regular peppers, and squash. In fact, the only squash I have are mini pumpkins that either seeded themselves or I got some mis-labeled zucchini plants at the nursery.. I have a ton of them. Hope they keep until Halloween.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '15

We had a ton of zucchini but yellow squash never grew right. A lot of tomatoes, tried San Marzanos this year in the mix and we got some, but some stopped growing and got a brown spot on the end, maybe from the blight?

Got a few peppers, watermelon- 2 plants produced 9 sugar baby melons!, Carrots, onions did well, many pears on the pear tree, but some have brown spots, and our meyer lemon tree has about 10 lemons on it, but they're still green. I gave it miracle grow to help, and the tree made more blossoms instead! The bees love it, I can see their little pollen bags are full when they visit.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '15

Finally got a picture of some of my gourds. Hope they last until the fall.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '15

Those gourds look beautiful Tracy! How do you know when is the right time to pick them? When the vines start to die back?

hktownie hktownie
Sep '15

You're going to have a beautiful centerpiece for your Fall table, Tracy!

I am REALLY going to miss not being able to go out and pick my lunch. :-(

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '15

I'm with you Rebecka. Hopefully it will last into December like last year. I was picking Arugula a little past the first frost, though I do cheat and use a cold frame to prolong my season (and give a head start to the garlic for next year).

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '15

We think so, hktownie. Some internet research suggests we wait until the branches turn born and stops growing. The plant just keeps sending new shoots out and new blooms every day. It's really going crazy.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '15

Garlic and Leeks are already throwing up shoots. Just planted some fall romaine and arugula. Asparagus is coming to life. Skipped trying broccoli again as I've never had luck with it in the fall.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '15

What about planting lettuces now? Anyone ever have luck with this?

Also, I'm glad this thread popped up. If you guys have any brilliant ideas about what to do with several 60-100 lb. pumpkins, I'm all ears. (We had a pumpkin growing contest here at the farm. I won. Yea me. Now what do I do with them!?)

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '15

Rebecka if you want to donate them please PM me, I could use them to decorate for a wedding! Then after that we could find someone who might like them as decorations I'm sure.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '15

Now that the 2015 season is drawing to an end..wondering if anyone plants garlic now. Any advice? We cleaned our plot out yesterday, and I've read that you can plant garlic now and leave it through the winter.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '15

Now is the time to plant garlic. In June you will see scapes growing. Cut them off so all the energy goes into making the garlic bulb bigger. When the green leaves yellow, you can harvest. Use the scapes just like chives.

Iris - if you want large garlic bulbs, don't cut greens, when greens are thick and long tie them together in a single knob and leave until you are ready to harvest bulbs.
We grow garlic for scallions, planted now, you will have garlic scallions early in spring. Great for salads, soups, sauces.

Silly question, best place to get garlic to plant?

Bessie Bessie
Oct '15

I got mine last year online Bessie. Just do a google search. Many places sell them with numerous varieties. This year, I planted some of the smaller ones that weren't worth cooking with, about three weeks ago. Some of them have come up already.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '15

From past mention, I've heard a lot of people go up to NY state - Warwick area - to get garlic bulbs. Another good place is the garlic festival at Shawnee. But ever since they changed to that venue and the admission fee, etc.... I'll just leave it at that. You can get garlic from several of the same vendors at Stroudsburg area farmers markets without that.

Someone in a past thread mentioned a farm/stand on Silver Lake Rd that sells them. Think in Frelinghuysen.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '15

Well my garlic has been planted, only 8 of them. This is purely experimental. I was lucky enough to have someone from the Community Garden give me some garlic to plant. I think he said it was from a farmer in PA that grows it, can't remember his name. He met him one year at the Garlic Festival and has been getting it from him every year.
On another note, Looking for some input from gardening experts here. A friend of mine at work had an area in the back of the yard where he had been dumping leaves for a few seasons. Last year he threw his Halloween pumpkins back there and stomped on them, exposing the seeds. He thinks he put some more leaves on top of them before winter. To his surprise, he grew 7 or 8 pumpkins this year, some rather large. His question is, do you think that was just a fluke that they grew without being planted in the ground and should he be doing anything this year to have them grow again next year.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '15

We always smash our pumpkins in the corner or the yard and the following year they grow, gords too. Also had a tomato plant come up on the side of the stairs this year. Our sunflowers come back as well. I leave them for the birds for a few months after they die off.

Moon shadow
Nov '15

We throw our gourds, pumpkins, etc. In a big leaf pile, only 1 year did I get pumpkins. This year, however, we had a ginormous pumpkin/gourd growing under our bird feeders. The leaves looks like plants in Juassic Park! We just never know what's going to sprout where!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.