Where to get food donation?

Hello all,

This post is a continuation of my fundraising idea post from a few weeks ago--but more so with regards to the finish line. I had originally posted about a fundraiser I was doing for a cancer fund/relay (which was successful!-thanks for the ideas). Now, I am asking if anyone has a good idea for a place in which I could probably get $100 worth of food donations (fruits, bagels, etc.) for the finish line which will occur in LBI in a couple of weeks. I wasn't sure if anyone else has ever reached out to a local store or chain grocery store with success in obtaining some donations. My concern is I am heading down to LBI the day BEFORE the finish, so the stuff will have to be able to keep from the time I pick it up until the next day. If anyone has suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Jul '15

I've found that Shop Rite is usually very generous. I would suggest you see if they have a location near where you will be in LBI rather than getting it here the day before. You could also try a local bagel shop there, they might even be willing do deliver bagels to you. Good luck.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Thanks Calico! I figured I'd try to cover as much ground here and then do the rest down there. Obviously, it's just easier when I can walk in and state my reasoning then doing it over the phone, so in person is always best--but I will do both :-)

Jul '15

Shop Rite is generous in many ways with their food. It's a set of more than one companies though, and locally the Ronetco group tends to give to Norwescap and let them be the clearing house to make sure it gets to the needy.

I think it's a great suggestion to try down near LBI for the donation, potentially the group that has stores in that area. You won't have to lug the food around and less chance of spoiling. Either that, or see if a store will donate via Gift Cards.

Shoprite has a store in Manahawkin, you might try that - (609) 597-0091

I know the Vienna Methodist church has a food bank - maybe they would care to help

skippy skippy
Jul '15

I wouldn't want to take food from a food bank though, because there are many who may TRULY need that food. It would weigh too much on my conscious if I asked them, but thank you for the suggestion regardless!

Jul '15

Understand totally - but what I meant was they may be able to help point you to sources of donations

skippy skippy
Jul '15

Where in LBI? There is a Murphy's grocery store in Beach Haven.

hktownie hktownie
Jul '15

You might want to try Panera's..I'm pretty sure I heard that they donate food.

positive positive
Jul '15

I would hit up the local businesses at LBI and promise to give them a personal plug on Facebook, etc.

The Bagel Shack, 609-492-5552, is one place I can think of as well as The Chicken and The Egg (chickenortheegg.jerseyshore.com,) a 24-hour institution that serves breakfast all day.

This site is useful: http://www.discoverourtown.com/NJ/Beach-Haven/Dining-2958.html

There's also the Chamber of Commerce who might want to get involved and make recommendations. http://njlbi.com/lbichamber.html

The key to donations is definitely plugging the participating business for thanking them. It's all PR.

Good luck.

Again, I'd definitely go local as large corporations like Panera might take a while to get corporate approval, etc.

Thanks guys! I am taking notes for all of this. htownie-the run covers all of LBI but the finish line is at Barnegat Lighthouse, but I will get in touch with Murphy's because I will be staying in Holgate next to Beach Haven.

Jul '15

I think the Shop Rite is located on Rt 70(?) before crossing onto the island.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jul '15

Chicken N' the Egg is also good as iRun said, and there is Barry's Do Me a Flavor- he's not open in the AM because he's fishing, but open for lunch and dinner, has ice cream and food, also Uncle Willie's and there is a takeout bagel place- Centre St Bagel Cafe that has great bagels. Lots of small places in Beach Haven and not many national chains, which is one of the things we really like about it.

Good Luck! Its a pretty place to put the finish line.

hktownie hktownie
Jul '15

I've tried Chegg already--no luck, but thank you. I frequent there every year anyways, so regardless of their help with this run--they will still get my business :-) I will definitely reach out to the others!

Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.