Family Dogs Save Child From Backyard Bear in Long Valley

A few days old but a good story about man's best friend, pit bulls no less!

https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/family-dogs-save-child-backyard-bear-morris-county

A pack of family dogs intervened when a bear began approaching a three-year-old in her own backyard Wednesday morning, with one canine sustaining injuries to the face and leg before scaring off the wild animal.

Emily Wagner, of Long Valley, was sitting outside just after 9 a.m. Wednesday watching her three-year-old daughter play in the family’s fenced-in backyard.

Despite the fencing, a well-known neighborhood bear estimated at 400 pounds by the homeowner, has climbed the wall and into the family’s property on numerous occasions, as often as once a week.

“Usually the dogs will chase him off and he’ll climb over the fence and wait (for the dogs) to come inside,” Wagner told Patch. “He’s very smart.”

But Wednesday was different.

Wagner’s daughter was outside with one of the family dogs, a rescue pup named Chief, when the mom heard her child scream.

“I looked up and the bear was about 15 feet from her and walking right toward her,” she said. “The bear was between us. Chief heard her scream and immediately grabbed the bear’s back leg, at which point the bear turned and bit Chief’s face and leg.”

It was then the other three dogs, all Pit bulls and also rescues, ran to assist Chief while Wagner grabbed her daughter. The bear was chased off, back over the fence and ultimately up a tree in the woods.

By the time police arrived to the Parker Road residence, the bear had wandered off, Wagner said.

Protocol and Patience

After discussions with Washington Township’s Mayor Bill Roehrich, and the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife, Wagner learned it may take a while before the neighborhood bear is no longer climbing her fence.

“We’re not allowed to kill the bear – not that we want to – and if he injures a dog they give the bear the benefit of the doubt and say it’s in self-defense,” Wagner said. “They won’t trap and relocate the bear, but will shoot it with rubber bullets and then release it back into the area.”

In order for the bear to be taken away and euthanized, it must commit a “category one” offense, where it tries to enter a home or shows aggression like charging or attacking, and even then it’s only if the action is done toward humans, not pets.

Police ask that you call their non-emergency lines to report bears that may be coming too close to your property, and dial 9-1-1 in the case of an emergency.

Joe M Joe M
Jul '15

Great story! Thanks for sharing Joe M. Does anyone know if Chief is ok?

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Jul '15

Why does the bear enter their yard once a week? Does she leave dog food outside?

Talleyho!
Jul '15

Why is a three year old out of sight in a yard that a bear frequently climbs over the fence and roams? Glad the dogs were there but where was the mom? Just asking.

Redwing
Jul '15

They interviewed the mom and her daughter the other night on the news. The little girl wasn't out of site, she was playing in her yard with the mom sitting on the back porch about 15 feet away from her. They said the bear has come into their yard on numerous occasions but usually at night. The dog Chief seemed fine, bouncing all around the yard and giving the little girl lots of kisses. You can see him here..

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/07/02/new-jersey-familys-dogs-save-toddler-from-400-pound-black-bear/

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '15

Please note these were the much misunderstood pit bull breed. Go pitties!

Dansker Dansker
Jul '15

Love hearing stories like these!!

Stephanie
Jul '15

seems crazy to me that this bear cannot be put down by authorities!

mom of one mom of one
Jul '15

Why should the bear be put down??? It's not his fault that he has no place left to live with people taking his habitat.

I would not agree with any decision to put it down either. If it becomes such a nuisance all the time, just trap it and relocate it.

+1 SL and GC and here's an article from LV Patch re bears http://patch.com/new-jersey/hopatcong-sparta/tips-avoiding-conflicts-bears-summer-0?utm_source=newsletter-daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=community+corner&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=article-mostrecent#.VZvLjjSR7FE.facebook

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Pits are the greatest!!!!!!! Well done! That's what they are for, protecting their loved ones no matter what.

They're also very snuggly . :-)

Aces911 Aces911
Jul '15

Misunderstood breed? This dog was ready to fight. That's what they do. Should I start posting articles where a pit killed a 3 year old? This pit bull love is absurd.

Frankspank
Jul '15

Much love for the pit bull. The most loyal breed of dog.

sack
Jul '15

I'm starting to get the feeling that "Frankspank" may be the same person that kept flooding the "Patch" with all kinds of articles against Pit Bulls. Personally, I'm not afraid to pet one, but I also know that if one did attack someone, I would do whatever is necessary to protect an innocent child or person that had been attacked. By that I mean from any dog that showed violence towards a human for no apparent reason.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '15

A poodle mix recently chased off a bear. Does that mean he was ready to fight? Dogs protect their families. Maybe Frankspank doesn't care for dogs. My Maine coon cat chased off a german shepherd once, was he also ready for a fight?

Dansker Dansker
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.