Bear Sightings

Anyone see the bear walking across the grass by the cemetery on Mountain Ave this morning? He/She looked pretty big. But also saw one on Waterloo yesterday. Have been here since 1999 and this is the first time I have seen one in town. Has anyone else been seeing them in populated areas?

I saw a bear in Towpath Apartments yesterday in daylight as well. I've personally never seen a bear in the development before. Odd!

Cheshirecat Cheshirecat
Jul '15

The more woods developers cull, the more bear are displaced. This explains the increase in sightings in "populated" areas. I live in PV and when Mountain Ridge was being built, I would spot bear walking around the Dumpsters at the construction sites early in the morning.

It's not that there's an increase in bears, there is an increase in development which displaces the wildlife, as more move in. LOL.

I live in Panther Valley in the new Meadows area and saw a small bear cub recently there.

There are bears all the time in Hunters Brook and Brook Hollow, near the Hills of Independence, Country Side & Towpath, and other locations near to those places. They're all over, that's nothing new.

12 years ago was the first time I've seen a bear in town. It treed itself in a tree at the Middle School.

Since then it seems I see more and more each year.

I now live on Willow Grove, right near Bilby and had one come through my yard last year.

Not nearly as uncommon as you would think.

littlelu littlelu
Jul '15

I saw a huge bear (one of the largest I've seen) last week around 6:30PM while driving on Catswamp Rd in Independence right at the top of the hill going toward 517. It was pretty much across the street from the farmers house that farms the land at the corner of 517 and Catswamp.

There was a bear in a backyard in Kenwood last Fall. Lawrence Drive

copygirl copygirl
Jul '15

I had a bear run thru my driveway a couple yeas ago-and I live on high street 2 blocks from town!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jenny jenny
Jul '15

Re: Bear Sightings

This big boy frequently passes through my yard off Russling Rd.

He looks enormous, RAD. Wow.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

I agree Rebecka, that's one big boy...........I'd give up my picnic basket to him in a heart beat.

littlelu littlelu
Jul '15

"give up my picnic basket" - ROFL! Me too!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '15

My dog is not a barker when she is outside. Yesterday myself, son and DH were out back with the dog and suddenly she starts to run....after a bear. She never once barked at it but the bear knew she meant business with her nose right at the bear's rear accompanying it to the edge of the property across the stream. She came right back when called:) All in a day's work for our good girl:) She got her own burger later on.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '15

I have a bear who passes through the woods in the back of my property several times a week (that I have seen) in daylight.The time of day varies. He/she is just passing through and disappears into the woods. I have no idea where he/she is coming from or going to.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jul '15

Yikes, that's NOT Yogi. Wouldn't want to meet that one. Beautiful though.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hopatcong-sparta/tips-avoiding-conflicts-bears-summer-0?utm_source=newsletter-daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=community+corner&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=article-mostrecent#.VZvLjjSR7FE.facebook

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

That's too funny, because like I said before, we leave the garbage out in cans and have bird feeders and have never, ever had any animal get into them. 15 years!
And I live right next to farmland.

Jul '15

botheredbyuu2, that is amazing. I can't put my garbage out too early on garbage day or it's strewn all over the street. I see people on my street put it out Sunday night and it is left alone. I can't do that. I've tried everything, bungy cords, ammonia in the garbage and also bleach. Nothing stops the animals from getting into my trash.. I just keep my fingers crossed that the truck doesn't come through earlier than I expect.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jul '15

My husband just encountered a very large black bear near the dpw (near sharp street/lafayette street) by that field/softball field. Thankfully he had our large 120+lb. Dog with him and the dog barked nonstop which did cause the bear to run away at the end. He did say at one point the bear got on its hind legs which as we all know is not a good thing at all. Thankfully everything turned out okay, no one was hurt, but as I explained to my husband (who never grew up in a more rural area and I grew up in Sussex County) welcome to living with nature! But I did want to give everyone a heads up about the location as well not just my husbands surprise adventure with wildlife lol

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jul '15

What is the right thing to do if you are walking in the woods and see a bear?

I know not to turn and run, but I've heard a lot of mixed advice.

We just had a bear this morning in our yard. Im right on Willow Grove across from Bilby. My daughter went out with pots and pans banging and he took off running so fast. Seems she scared the hell out of him. He was in the process of going through our garbage. So I'm glad she scared the hell out of him. Just a little to close for comfort. But cool to see.

littlelu littlelu
Jul '15

We see Bears regularly where we live in Independence. They are passing through our wooded property. We have seen more than one at the same time. One late afternoon I was sitting at my kitchen table in front of a large window and looked up to see a large Bear standing on my deck with it's paws on the deck railing and looking in at me! I bet I could have won a prize for the quickest movement and highest jump Ever!! Then the Bear nonchalantly went back on all 4's and walked across the deck and into the woods.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '15

I wish there was a "like" button for your post, Mrs. Pipes...as I know what you are saying. We had a bear one day in our yard that actually waited while the neighbor ran home to get his camera to take his picture...And...then posed for it...!!

joyful joyful
Jul '15

I have bear envy --- would love to see one

as per when you run into one in the woods - make yourself appear as big as possible and make lots of noise --- try not to appear tasty

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

LOL! @ 5catmom...

joyful joyful
Jul '15

Loud noise seems to deter them, but that's no guarantee. Wild animals are unpredictable. The worst thing to do is run..since that will set off their natural instinct to chase.

positive positive
Jul '15

5catmom, you haven't seen a bear yet? I've seen many and they are beautiful creatures and luckily in my experiences they were docile and timid. However, they can be aggressive if they feel threatened..especially if mama bear has cubs.

I'm sure you already know this, since you are very knowledgeable when it comes to wildlife.

positive positive
Jul '15

You don't have to run fast , just be faster then the people you are with

Booster90 Booster90
Jul '15

No - positive - not around here - saw one where I used to live - invading a garbage can - was in the car - drove home for my camera - it was a beauty

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Jenny Jump in Hope is very wooded and pretty secluded...you might have a very good chance encountering a bear there.

positive positive
Jul '15

here's mine

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Beautiful!!

positive positive
Jul '15

Loud noises do usually scare away a singular bear. Scared the crap out of my mom when it went across my back yard, but Yogi's only thought was to go across from one side of the fence to get to the other. He probably already has his fill of the dumpster over by apartments and wasn't concerned with us. When there are more than one bear and cubs are involved, all bets are off.

My advice would be to generally just walked backwards slowly and quietly given no other issues. If they don't notice you then it really doesn't matter either way. But if they approach you, noise and being as big as possible is the best approach and usually works. If for some reason like a cub, that advice fails, then fall down, play dead is the best you can do.

Either that or have a pic-a-nic basket waiting and available for the stealing... ;-)

Had one crossing the front yards on Saturday here in Mansfield, PM. Heading down towards RT 57. They aren't scared of people or traffic, obviously. Don't know where he went after that. Big boy too!!

Jul '15

I have had a few around the property...one in particular kept getting in the garbage, but we secure it now with a chain so they can't get in.

NJSkyWatcher NJSkyWatcher
Jul '15

Friends just moved to Liberty and had their first bear encounter recently. Cub involved so they let it be....

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '15

Still not getting into my garbage. Maybe I have the wrong kind. LOL!

Jul '15

there was one by where bergen tools used to be a few days ago running around- it could be because they just started all of that construction or something. be safe everyone

beachbum beachbum
Jul '15

Playing dead is good advice for Grizzly bears you surprise on a trail in Montana or Alaska. For the Black bears we have in NJ it is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Black bears are not as aggressive as grizzly, but when they do attack it is usually predatory not defensive. Playing dead is a sure fire way to get eaten. Best advice is to avoid eye contact, back away slowly if you can. Stand your ground as most charges are bluffs. Almost always the bear will back down, if however they do attack fight back with everything you got.

Agust Agust
Jul '15

Love the bear pictures. I don't have a photo but saw a bear and cub in a corn field out in DWG park. The Mom sat down on her behind & upright and the little cub climbed up and nursed for a while. I sat far off and watched. So cute.

A good day
Jul '15

Could not get a good pic, but one just walked through my yard in Brook Hollow (Saxton Drive). Really cool.

There's a bear at hackettstown Honda trying to get across 46 towards patriots plaza.

Bear46
Jul '15

Byram has a ton of bear, I attached a pic of one that frequents my friends neighborhood. The thing is a beast!!! According to fish and wildlife there are more bear in NJ now than there was in the 80s which explains all the increased sightings.

Jesse Jesse
Jul '15

My latest Bear story: Thursday afternoon the hub and I were walking on Cat Swamp and rounded the corner onto Rosewood and, there on the opposite side of the street from us was the Largest Black Bear we have seen (we've seen quick a few here in Independence.) He was about 500+ pounds and husky. He watched us as we walked on by while I clapped my little hands as Loud as I could. He eventually turned around and went in the opposite direction. On Saturday the hub was walking down the driveway to get the mail and halfway down saw what looked like 2 black blobs one on either side of a tree ... then he noticed the Mom. My hub slowly backed up the driveway. The cubs were holding onto the tree and were possibly frightened and trying to climb the tree. We see multiple Bear every year, but there seem to be more Bear this year.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '15

This guy was hanging around downtown Oxford last evening. He was just moseying along until somebody's dog started barking at him and then he ran off into the woods.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '15

My brother in law lives on ridge rd in independence and has had a 500+lb bear hanging out in his fields. It's the healthiest one I've ever seen. I have a resident bear and in the oddest "bear" location. I'm a street off of 46 in mt olive very close to itc. If everyone remembers the "Adams" bear, she has been a frequent visitor for yrs and the pic is of one of her babies.

Diane12 Diane12
Aug '15

I saw one last week in the park and ride lot on 46 up from the Target.

Jesse Jesse
Aug '15

Jesse, The picture you posted of the one in your friends neighborhood, is that also Byram?

Shady Shady
Aug '15

Who is glad they don't have a cat door?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/08/15/bear-idaho-cat-door/31778639/

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '15

ME!! LOL!!

Aug '15

It's Idaho. If I had a condo in Idaho, I'd expect bears to share other units in the building. ;-)

Canada has accepted that long ago - the Labatt bear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeV_YJMMmWk

More bears in Idaho then NJ??

Aug '15

Do bears in PA count? Was about 250-300 feet from 2 wrestling adults while up on my property this weekend. Coulden't get my camera out quick enough to get them wrestling, but when I did get my camera out, they noticed me

Darrin Darrin
Aug '15

Darrin-so lucky to see that. I wish I was there.

A good day
Aug '15

This guy crossed the road in front of my son's car coming into Hackettstown on Schooley's Mountain right by Newburgh Road yesterday around 2:30pm

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Aug '15

There is definitely an increase in bear population on my rascal road. Local mother bear has 2 cubs each spring (since 2011) , and this year she's got 3.

funnylady funnylady
Aug '15

This is too cute............but scary at the same time.

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/family-of-bears-hosts-pool-party-at-rockaway-home-1.10759499

littlelu littlelu
Aug '15

littlelu, that is adorable! Family summer fun!

Cute as hell, but yes,scary at the same time.

Aug '15

I can't get over a bear having 5 cubs. I thought 3 would be the max. they had.

Also, forget letting the kids play in the yard by themselves. lol I'm not sure I would want to hang out. Imagine floating in your pool and opening your eyes only to see Mama bear leaning over the edge of the pool.............for-getta-bout it.

littlelu littlelu
Aug '15

The child will probably spend most the rest of the nice weather in the house which sounds like caging the child to protect her. I am crazy about animals and really believe wild animals should have enough space to live, but even a virtue can become a vice when taken to extremes. Children should be able to play out-of-doors too.

Millie Millie
Aug '15

NJ has approved the expanded bear hunt.

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/nj-approves-expanded-bear-hunt-in-state-allows-use-of-arrows-1.11132377

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '15

we have a mother bear and she has 2 1 year old cubs and 2 2year old cubs

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '15

Not at all surprised they expanded the hunt.

The comments below the article are just fabulous. (Can someone please tell me when we became a Nation made up largely of addle-brained cretins? I'm beginning to think there may be some validity to the "chemtrails" conspiracy theory....)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

Rebecka - I normally don't read the comments after article because it kills me. I went back and read them after your post. All I can say is, I think I will stick to not reading them. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '15

Had these two in my yard a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsa_pPgEzg

Mike Corona Mike Corona
Nov '15

That's probably a good idea. Reading them can cause your brain to ache and might possibly induce depression!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '15

Saw this one today on Mt.Rascal road....

And another...

One more ....

Please heed this warning:

Hipster Hipster
May '16

Hahahahahaha! Love it Hipster.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

His buddy hiding in the woods....

He looks like a big one Dam! Had a huge one on my deck a few weeks ago, 350-400 lbs!

I've been living in Panther Valley for three and a half years and I saw a bear only once; in the distance in a field.

simply curious simply curious
May '16

What time of day did you see that bear on Mt. Rascal? And was it on Thursday?

Just Wondering Just Wondering
May '16

I saw the bear around 9 am and yes it was on Thursday...

Thank you.
I saw one bear about 7 AM on a different section of Mt. Rascal.

Just Wondering Just Wondering
May '16

See them frequently in Rustic Knolls.

slade v 2.0 slade v 2.0
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.