Replacing Comcast modem/router

We currently have a Comcast supplied RCA modem and my own Linksys WRT54g wireless router. They just sent us a notice that the RCA modem is not compatible with the 105 mbps speed of our service and we should upgrade. we currently lease the modem for $10 month and I dont want to lease any more.

I'm not that technical when it comes to modems/routers etc, so I need help.

Comcast tech recommended the Arris TG 862G modem/wireless router. This would replace my current setup, including the Linksys wireless. Since a lot of the connectivity in our house is wireless, is that the best way to go?

fyi, we have the full tv internet and phone bundle.

thanks for the help!

Bill Scott Bill Scott
Jul '15

That's what I did Bill and it works fine. Even though I hate Comcast, I'm stuck with them.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

I would not get a modem/router combo. Usually the two devices combined are not as up to date as individual units. You need a DOCSIS 3.0 capable modem to get the 105 mpbs speed. I have Comcast and use a Motorola 6020 (about $70) and a Netgear router. You will find more stability with separate units and if something goes wrong or needs updating you don't have to replace everything.

Normally I would suggest the Motorola combined unit (SB6120 or newer SB6180) even if it's not always up to date. For an everyday user who isn't going to reconfigure anything and without any high end use of it, the single unit is far more convenient and less expensive. However, you're really stuck because of the phone. That's the key. The only other phone capable all in one runs the exact same software on it as the Arris. It's a very error prone piece of equipment, but if you have the phone part, you're practically stuck with it.

I really hope in the near future there are more options for people with Comcast phone.

thanks folks.

If I go with the separate modem/router, would upgrading the router make any difference in my wireless speed?

Bill Scott Bill Scott
Jul '15

I have the Comcast bundle. They emailed me that I need a new modem. I ordered it on line 2 weeks ago. Nothing yet. About a month ago , when I dial the phone it takes 20 to 30 seconds before it dials out. I thought it was the new government rules of taping everything. I would not be surprised if I was on a list someplace. I have an Arris TM602G/CT. and Negear N 150 WNR1000 v2 Any thoughts appreciated.?

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '15

Old Gent - Same thing. You won't have much choice about the Arris because of the phone service. Then either use the Netgear or don't, your choice. It's not necessary but can be done if the Arris is put in "bridge" mode and does no routing.

Like I said, I got it and no problems. Others had problems?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

bill - use the combo device and remove the Linksys WRT54g from the mix. that older linksys is now really out of date. the firmware protocols on them don't play well with today's equipment. the industry agreed proposals and chip sets have been updated to a point where that old Linksys WRT54g cant be updated to be compatible with them completely anymore.

it's a shame, because i loved those Linksys WRT54g's ten years ago, but sadly i kpet running into wierd network drop outs with them, both in my home office and out at several client sites

once again GC is right as rain, Comcast is particular about the phone/cable/wireless devices. take their recommendations and remove the linksys

oldgent - same thing for you, use the comcast combined device and take the netgear offline. your phone should work better when you do that.

let me know how you guys end up? i am interested in the end results and what was done to get there.

thx men!

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '15

Linksys WRT54g's have more problems than just dropped packets. Multiple VPN's fail to work with them, and there are backdoor exploits available. That's how Comcast reprograms them anyway. They were popular based on cost and not much else. Same thing with the newer Arris, but if you want phone through Comcast there isn't much choice.

I will just live with the phone I have ATT phones around the Apt. I think they require the net gear. When my family comes east I will tell them what you suggested. It worked fine till about one or two months ago.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '15

I just switched over to Comcast, and signed up for the Blast internet service with 105 Mbps service.

I didn't want to rent a combo modem/router so I purchased an Arris SB6141 modem for $88, and the Netgear AC1200 router for about the same price. In 18 months these will pay for themselves vs renting the Comcast unit for $10/month.

If you want wifi high speed internet you need to get a router with AC protocol; the older N protocol cannot not give you the speed you're paying for. No matter what speed you subscribe to, the most you'll get for download will be 40-45 Mbps; the N technology just isn't capable of anything faster.

Here are the speeds I've recorded (keep in mind I'm in Port Murray so geographically I may be closer to the origin point than people in Hackettstown):

wifi download 94.27 Mbps, upload 13.54 Mbps

ethernet cable from router direct to laptop (no wifi) 112.09 Mbps, upload 13.54 Mbps!

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

I should clarify my above post by saying I do NOT have phone service; instead I rely solely on my cell phone.

That particular Arris modem is for internet only but they do produce models that are phone-capable as well.

The key piece for high-speed internet is the router.

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

Maybe you want to consider this http://www.staples.com/NETGEAR-N600-DOCSIS-3-0-Wi-Fi-Cable-Modem-Router-C3700-100NAS-/product_822202

For your setup

Tinkodinko Tinkodinko
Jul '15

For the average user who needs to upgrade for the Blast or higher levels of internet, *but* does not have phone from Comcast, I recommend the Motorola combo line. If you aren't an average user and need higher levels of security or have some kind of high performance needs then split. But I wouldn't recommend any Netgear, Belkin, or low end Cicso, and definitely not Arris or Zoom. In that case, spend the extra dollars and get a higher end commercial level Cisco, maybe a Sonicwall SOHO, or best of all the Watchguard.

Re: Replacing Comcast modem/router

GC, Arris is a Motorola product:

JerryG JerryG
Jul '15

thank you all for the great info!

Looks like I'm prob going with the arris multi. The phone requirement sucks, so as everyone says...not much choice.

I work from home quite often and VPN into multiple networks and servers without issue on my current setup, so I'll cross my fingers with the Arris. It has to be better that what I'm currently running in terms of speed. Hopefully the wireless signal is better as well.

Now to find the best deal. Prices range from $199 at best buy to $98 from
this site. Need to look at the details..

http://stores.dontleaseyourmodem.com/arris-tg862g-docsis-3-wireless-gateway-telephony-modem-comcast-xfinity-time-warner-brighthouse/

Bill Scott Bill Scott
Jul '15

JerryG - Other way around. Arris bought out Motorola's home internet products division. Arris makes other products than the Motorola line including the older General Instrument line. I am referring to the particular line that was purchased from Motorola (SB), not the other products. (TG)

I have a zoom I bought based on price and reviews. It's a home product and has worked without incident for about two years.

Generally you get what you pay for. I took a chance on the zoom and don't regret it.

Comcast, on the other hand, is terrible on so many levels. I really wish there was such a thing as competition in that area.

That's my two cent worth...

Justintime Justintime
Jul '15

I did all the same research earlier this year to purchase a modem to avoid the Comcast $10 charge per month. I also need to have a modem that has the phone capability, as I use that service also from Comcast.

My choices were pretty limited, due to needed a modem with phone service capability, and I stuck with the Arris TG862G.

It has 4 Ethernet ports on the back, and also runs wireless, in addition to the phone service it can provide.

I bought mine off eBay- for about $110 dollars- but I could have gotten it cheaper if I was more patient.

If you buy from eBay, just confirm with the seller that they have contacted Comcast and that the modem you are purchasing is not tied to another account- unless your going to have a big mess on your hands once you call Comcast to register.

Once I received that assurance from the eBay seller, it arrived a few days later. Comcast took about half an hour to do the work on their end to get my phone and internet back online.

I returned the rented modem the next day and have had zero issues with the unit I purchased. Just like any eBay purchase, you can get a feel from user feedback and how they are describing the device if something is fishy- use common sense, get a bargain- no need to buy it new.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.