Not Your Father's Root Beer

This beer seems like liquid gold. I was interested in trying it and have been unable to find it. Shoprite liquors in Hacketstown just got a shipment in this morning and sold out in 30 minutes. Does anyone know what store has some in stock and is not price gauging? Rumor has it a place in Phillipsburg was charging $16.00 for a six pack!

Derek Derek
Jul '15

I don't know if they have it, but Nykun's store in Great Meadows sells liquor. If they don't have it, they will gladly order it for you. That store is amazing.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jul '15

The liquor store in Hope had it yeasterday

I found it at Weis in Stroudsburg. Not particularly convenient, but if you're already traveling you could check. It was $13.99 there.

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jul '15

Bottle King had some in stock a few days ago

What is the name of the liquor store in hope?

Derek Derek
Jul '15

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2015/07/where_in_nj_can_you_get_not_your_fathers_root_beer.html

Skippy Skippy
Jul '15

I was in bottle king on Monday night and they had it. Another guy was in there and asked about it. They guy working there said they had it but also said it tasted awful. This guy bought it anyway. I debated as I'm all for rare beers but I ended up passing on this one.

sack
Jul '15

Weebiekins - Wies or the State Store next to it? Grocery stores are not allowed to sell beer or wine in PA. As far as I know State Stores are not allowed to sell beer either unless if something changed recently. There used to be a beer distributor in that area but they closed. And even if you meant one of the other beer distributors down the way, they could not sell just a six pack.

Grocery stores are allowed to sell beer and wine in PA...a few years back I did scanning for a manufacturing company and would goto giant, Weis, Wegmans etc in PA..don't remember if Giants sold it but Wegmans and Weis have a separate section in the stores for it. I use to scan the beer cases... What a pain haha

Firstworldproblems Firstworldproblems
Jul '15

We buy beer in Wegmans in PA, they have nice selection.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '15

Not sure if online package goods sales are legal in NJ but it may behoove you to order a case - it seems like a production issue not an NJ issue from the article

skippy skippy
Jul '15

Wow, I have just been reading on line about all of the changes by the PA LCB. They went back on the 12 packs for distributors back in March, and Weis, Wegmans, and soon to be Wawa can sell beer. That's quite a reversal in the old PA beer quagmire particularly for the beer distributors. While they can sell 12 packs, if more and more grocery stores buy liquor licenses, you don't have to run out to a bar for a six pack any more. Bars will still survive, but the distributor is really going to be under pressure.

I called all the local, to Hackettstown area, and everyone is out.

Derek Derek
Jul '15

It is a very nice beer a lot of flavor and to me its a one bottle of beer beer . but here is a challenge Any one ever have A&P Beer that s good brew for the price and 6pack at a time beer drink up my friends and remember its strike the match light the fire cracker toss the cracker not the match be safe Americans happy fourth of july

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '15

Derek...fyi...just checked over at Wine Country near Master Foods . They went through 14 cases in 2 weeks. Owner told me that it's a new beer (like Sweet Baby Jesus). Same company. Everyone wants to try it. They have a sold out sign outside the store. More coming Monday or Tuesday. $10.48

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Jul '15

Just tried this at a bbq. Tastes exactly like root beer. Incredibiy dangerous and it's clear why it's flying off the shelves!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '15

Have you tried Bottle King in Ledgewood? Also you might want to try Norton's Cork N' Bottle in Phillipsburg. 908-859-2402

positive positive
Jul '15

Oh I forgot about Washington Discount Liquor 908-689-1400

positive positive
Jul '15

Has anybody tried Sweet Baby Jesus? Supposedly tastes like chocolate and peanut butter (if you can imagine that!)

Jul '15

We were just at Mountain View and they were out. They had 10 cases and were gone quickly. We did get some peach cider for Clyde

Bessie Bessie
Jul '15

Just the facts maam, Sweet Baby Jesus is very good. It does taste like PB.

weebiekins weebiekins
Jul '15

Any luck Derek?

positive positive
Jul '15

Interesting. Didn't realize Pabst Brewery was behind it's distribution:

http://www.brewbound.com/news/pabst-taking-not-your-fathers-root-beer-national

Anyone who calls this stuff beer is not a beer-drinker. It was SO SWEET. Awful, really. My wife and her friends liked it though. Felt like it was melting my teeth off.

Talley hi!
Jul '15

Just tried this beer at the local bar. It is awesome. Got some to go.

M & K M & K
Jul '15

Anyone find the more potent versions (10% abv or 20% abv) in the larger bottles (bombers) anywhere in the area?

Seems like folks either love it or hate it.

Found it at Wine Country 2 weeks ago...they were stacked right in the front. $13 for a 6 pack.

PS - They also always have Sweet Baby Jesus there. Those are in the back left hand corner portion of the store.

Buffy Buffy
Jul '15

Wine Country is $10.48 for the Not My Father's Rootbeer and I had mentioned that I was told that it would be coming in today or tomorrow. I think that their shipments come in around 3. Not sure of that one though. Im not too much of a beer drinker but did like the Sweet Baby Jesus. Chocolate peanutbutter taste. One was enough for me. Good luck all.

Jul '15

Derek-were you able to find it yet?

justcurious justcurious
Jul '15

I got a six pack at the place in Hope. The one off of route 80 with a pizzeria. Very nice owners there. They charge $10.99 which is right. Some places have been charging close to $20.00.

I'm looking for the higher alcohol content, but haven't found it. Bea McNallys is listed as having it, but is out. Marty's Gotham grill has the bottles.

I recently read that Pabst took over distribution. This should improve the availability.

Derek Derek
Jul '15

A&P Liquors has it in stock right now. $10.99 six pack

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Jul '15

Thank you Earnhardt. Thanks for the "heads up" ;)

Jul '15

Wine country got in a shipment of 10 cases. They will go quickly. He told me that ("like 100" ) people have called already. They are in the mall to the right of Niles Steakhouse on 517 across from Master Foods.

Jul '15

Get ready.... there is another brand soon to hit shelves said to be better than Not Your Fathers Root Beer. It's called Coney Island Root Beer...

We got some in stock if anyone is looking

WineCountry - Bhavik WineCountry - Bhavik
Jul '15

Picked it up at wine country ^ pretty delicious!!

townie14 townie14
Jul '15

Re: Not Your Father's Root Beer

Was just in the Wharton Shoprite and they have the Coney Island Hard Root Beer in stock. They just received their delivery of the stuff yesterday. Cashier said she tried some last night and it's delicious. I'll soon find out for myself with the six pack I just bought!

this stuff is aweful..terrible.worst "beer" I have ever tasted

jenny jenny
Jul '15

Wow Vic...lucky you! Jenny...maybe you should refrigerate the beer ;) everyone seems to love it. Shared with my 50 and 72 yr old friend's and they all loved it. It's not for everyone I suppose.

Jul '15

the beer was refrigdgerated

jenny jenny
Jul '15

"Refrigerated" ;)

Jul '15

here we go again.the spelling police are on patrol.get a life just the facts

jenny jenny
Jul '15

Trust me . I have a life. Just teasing really. Notice the wink jenny.

Jul '15

im sorry just the facts.i really didn't mean to be mean.i apologize. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.anyway-have a nice day!!!!!

jenny jenny
Jul '15

"All's good". Do something nice for yourself. It'll get rid of that wrong side of the bed feeling. I might actually get a Rita's tonight. Havent had an ice in awhile. Enjoy yourself~

Jul '15

Why not get some ice cream and have a NYFRB "float" instead? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

thanks

jenny jenny
Jul '15

I so want a NYFRB "float:!! I keep meaning to go the store for ice cream!!

Sunshine Sunshine
Jul '15

Probably pretty tasty. I would try it once anyway!

Jul '15

Make mine a double! :)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '15

Has anybody tried the coney island rootbeer yet?

Jul '15

NYFRB is pure sugar, one is more than enough.

I just got some of the coney island one at Warren County Discount Liquors on 57 in Washington. They had a lot. $12.99 for a 6-pack. It's pretty good. I'm off to shop rite now for some vanilla ice cream! ;)

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Jul '15

Just bought a 6 pack at SR Liquor $12.99, will let you know!

I was able to find both and from my point of view "Not your fathers root Beer" is much better... and one note... they are sweet so I have been drinking them over ice just as you would a root beer soda ... looking forward to a root beer float next!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jul '15

Had a root beer float with coney island. I don't recommend it :p

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Jul '15

I tried the Coney Island root beer today. I loved it. I could not tell any difference between Coney Island root beer and Not Your Fathers.

Derek Derek
Jul '15

So where can I find these? I have seen a few suggestions, but also seen that they sell out very quick?

Darrin Darrin
Jul '15

Darrin, grab an a&w and pour some vodka in.

Talley hi!
Jul '15

Darrin, all the local places sell it. You just need to keep an eye out. Wednesday or Thursday seems like a good to try.

Derek Derek
Jul '15

I was able to get the Coney Island at the shop rite liquors, they did not have the other, the store attended actually laughed when I asked.......but it is very good, looking forward to trying the other. Is this stuff new, or has it been around for a while and we just did not know?

Darrin Darrin
Jul '15

Plenty of Coney Island at the Bottle King in Ledgewood this morning for the cheapest I've seen anywhere so far....$9.99 a six pack.

I tried NYFRB in New Hampshire. I was good. Exactly like Rootbeer. I was told to add a shot of Vanilla Stoli to it. Too bad it's impossible to find here. It was all the rage up in NH too. Ordered it at a bar.

obxgurl obxgurl
Jul '15

Shopping for beer on Thursday morning? You're my hero, Vic (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Haha ianimal! Yeah working the night shift makes weekday mornings one's happy hour!! LOL

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.