Happy birthday sports radio WFAN

July 1, 1987, was the first day WFAN began broadcasting as the nation's first ALL-SPORTS radio station.

Now, we have over 1,000 copy-cat all-sports stations around the country.

Well, on a social media site like HL most of the comments will probably be negative, but I'm still curious to see what people have to say ... good, bad, indifferent?

What have they done well, what have they done badly, and what does the future hold for all-sports radio? What are your favorite shows, wherever they originate?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

I love sports radio, I listen to Mike and Mike, they are excellent and objective. FAN cause of Mike Francessa sucks. Only talks about the Yanks and how bad the Mets are, Was a long time Giants fan in football then went to becoming a Jets fan when Parcells was there and Giants were not good. Of course the Giants won the Bowl and now he is back, he is arrogant and I cant stand him

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

I can add, he really hates the Jets these days and they reciprocate by not sending him any guests.

Mike and Mike on ESPN (I get it on the Easton affiliate) are the best, although I wish they'd talk about baseball more. They do it with perspective and good humor, and they make sure they research something before expressing opinions.

It helps that they have a whole staff of full-time people to call on as informed co-analysts.

They are good sports whenever Jayson Stark stumps them with his baseball trivia questions.

Sports shows, to me, don't do enough with trivia. I think trivia is a lot of fun and really involves the listener.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Some WFAN memories of that time- Pete Franklin, a true original from Cleveland, bringing his show to NY on WFAN and it never really caught on. Pete was a great listen late at night before he came to WFAN- he was on AM WWWE out of Cleveland, and was pretty much the originator of loud mouth sports talk show hosts years ago. Never stuck to the NY audience.

Suzyn Waldman- who is now teams with John Sterling as a Yankees radio voice, how knowledgeable I thought she was back then, she seemed to have some good Yankees insight. As an announcer now, not so much.

In the early days before the Internet, late at night, 2am or so, after the West Coast baseball games were over, Jody McDonald reading line scores of how batters did, so if you had a fantasy baseball team pre-internet times, you would know how your West Coast players did. Anyone remember hearing that at 2 or 3a on a summer weekend night back in the early 90's?

Bill Mazer doing a show from Mickey Mantles restaurant in Central Park- some really good interviews- of course, the Amazin Bill Mazer was always a good watch on TV also, esp his Channel 5 Sunday night sports show, 10:30p.

Of course, Imus was there in the early days in the AM- as they had to compete with Stern- and the early days the updates were every 15 minutes, which did sort of kill the flow- so they changed it to every 20 minutes.

Many imitators over the years, but still the best- NY tends to draw the best talent. Boomer and Carton are entertaining in the morning- but do get off track too often for my tastes-

Lets hope radio never becomes obsolete- I don't think it will, at least in my time.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jun '15

I am not a sports fan at all, but really enjoyed listening to Mike and the Mad Dog, during my commute. Never heard anything like it before. It made sports interesting and funny..sort of like a soap opera. On their own I find sports dull.

Boomer and Carton are ok, but Carton gets on my nerves FAST. I can actually take Mike's arrogance longer than Carton's 'trying to be funny' shtick. I don't really listen that much anymore as I did back in the Mad Dog days. Listening to mad dog talk was like watching a train wreck, I used to think..how the heck does a guy with a voice like that get a RADIO show lol. I would listen in utter amazement sometimes.

Carton does do a funny mad dog impression though.

brown bear
Jun '15

Used to love Mike and the Mad Dog, I thought they balanced each other well. I can't take Francesa on his own, he is such a miserable person, and talks over everyone. Can't listen to Boomer and Carton, Carton is such a clown! I like Joe & Evan they both come across as real down to earth fans. I enjoy Lori Rubinson, but rarely catch her.

Denis Denis
Jun '15

LOVED listening to Pete Franklin late at night on WWWE .... he had people in Cleveland waving their "I hate the Yankees hankees."

The guy was genuinely funny, and over-the-top passionate.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

My favorite WFAN morning is Sunday, when they have the "sensible guys" ... the Sports Edge with Rick Wolff talking about youth and recreation sports (lots of serious issues) and then Talking Baseball with Ed Randall and then "The Voice of Reason" Richard Neer.

Ed Randall gets old-time players on, authors, and his show involves lots of great story telling, which is right up this old-school guy's alley.

Posted some Imus and Pete Franklin banter ... Imus was right when he said you keep listening because you just never know what will set him off ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yshWeWCyf-I

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Some may remember Richard Neer as a rock-n-roll DJ at WNEW-fm.

He wrote a very interesting and at times hilarious book, about the rise-and-fall of rock-n-roll radio and the general downfall of good radio as we knew it, back in the good old days.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Good post about Pete Franklin clips on YouTube- good stuff there- I also read Richard Neer's book, 'FM"- great read, esp for the Scott Muni material he wrote about- that was quite the time in radio in NY in the early-mid 70's.

Ed Randall's Baseball Show, which is heard on Sunday mornings from about March until right after Labor Day- when M.Franscesca NFL show takes over, is really good. Wish it was longer time slot and on year round.

We could probably have a whole thread just about the radio personalities that have been on air in our region over the years. Good memories.

Jul '15

I like Mike and Mike mainly because they don't take callers. Callers into sports radio shows are the worst. Especially Yankee fans with their asinine trade offers.

darwin darwin
Jul '15

Mike and Mike are constantly monitoring tweets and emails, so listeners do have input.

It seems like sports radio uses listener calls to a large extent, to fill up time. It has its place, but I would rather listen to good interviews with people in the know.

Richard Neer once said to me, on the air in 2004, that my voice sounds like Bobby Valentine. Neer is good, actually listens to callers talk, and when he disagrees with them, he does it in a civil way.

I probably listen more to the ESPN affiliate in Easton, than to WFAN, because they have a local show in the afternoons called The Happy Hour, some local shows on the weekends, and Lehigh University football and basketball, IronPigs baseball, and, of course, the annual P-burg vs. Easton football game.

They get as many live games on as they can, whether they originate from ESPN, Westwood One, CBS, whatever. It really is a go-to place whenever I need to get caught up on what's happening in sports.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Francessa was funny when he tore apart the Mets a couple years ago. That's probably why they don't come on the show anymore.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '15

Between Francessa ripping the Jets and Mets- he pretty much doesn't get anyone other than Yankees and Giants people now to interview. And he spends way too much on horse racing and golf- that is dial turning time for me.

The Mets leaving WFAN on not so great of terms also has quite a bit to do with why they don't make an effort to appear as guests on WFAN.

Jul '15

I'm with you, Darwin... can't stand call-in shows. There was a movie a while ago with Patton Oswalt and Michael Rapaport called Big Fan that was (IMO) a pretty accurate character study on the type of personality that is obsessed with that sort of thing. Although, to be fair to them, it's probably not much different a personality type than being obsessed with arguing with perfect strangers on a public forum... You just don't spend so much time waiting on hold (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

FAN cause of Mike Francessa sucks. Only talks about the Yanks and how bad the Mets are, Was a long time Giants fan in football then went to becoming a Jets fan when Parcells was there and Giants were not good. Of course the Giants won the Bowl and now he is back, he is arrogant and I cant stand him

doctor k 16

The Fran Man switched because he was very good friends with Parcells, he even was a C-Boys fan when Tuna was there. Fran & Tuna had a recent fall-out, so they are no longer friends.

I was a BIG Arthur George Rust Jr. fan. He would call Yankee Stad "The Big Ball Orchard in the South Bronx"

Loved Pete Franklin, he was always looking to fight with the callers

Joe Benigno - Starting not to like his whinning ACT. Also Joe stop acting like you are 20, you are 61

Then there is Steve (me here, you there) Summers. Never really answers callers questions.

Remember Sidiot Rosenberg

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jul '15

Francesa and Parcells are both big racehorse guys... and both approximately the size of a horse, to boot. I'll bet whatever fallout they had was over a horse and not a woman (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Horrible radio station IMO.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '15

Joe Benigno -- Oh, the pain!

Steve Summers is a lot like Ian, likes to play around with team names ---

The Metropolitans, the Ice-landers, the Oakland Anabolics, the Philly Cheesesteaks.

And our "love to hate" players like Bar-oid, A-roid....the Lightning Rod.

During NFL season he has the FEAR-LESS... FORE-CAS-TER...he's never wrong.

Used to get a kick out of Mad Dog --- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Good afternoon everybody how are you todaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....

What a ham and egger.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

I was unaware of WFAN at the time, but I was exposed to it at an early age through sports. In 1989, I played midget football in Mt. Olive. Unbeknownst to me, I share(d) my name with a particular on-air personality, and quickly obtained the nickname Mad Dog. At 7 years old, I thought it was because of my tough demeanor and my on the field abilities.

A year later, I moved to Hackettstown. After a couple of practices, my new coaches also started calling me Mad Dog, and I thought that my legend had preceded me down the "mountain." Little did I know, I was being compared to a radio guy with an annoying voice and unlimited energy...

To this day, people will randomly refer to me as Mad Dog once they learn my name.

Oh, and I love Sour Shoes' impression of him more than I like him.

Lol true ianimal. The worst is the regular calls that act like celebrities cause they call in all the time. They're worst than Bobo. :)

Darwin Darwin
Jul '15

The nickname Mad Dog precedes Chris Russo ... the Baltimore Bullets in the NBA had a rookie guard named Freddie Carter in 1969-70, who was called Mad Dog because of the relentless way he played defense.

The Knicks had great, great teams from 1969 to 1974, but Mad Dog gave them fits.

Not only was Carter the first black player at Mt. St. Mary's University, he was their first black student. They retired his number in a nice ceremony there a few years ago, never heard Mike F and Chris R ever discuss it.

Chris Russo is too young to remember seeing Mad Dog Carter play.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

The reason the Mets don't go on WFAN anymore is cause the Mets are no longer broadcast on WFAN - yeesh & you call yourselves sports fans? They do the Yankees now.

Darwin, I think Bobo is going to have a harder time serving his 15-show ban than most convicts do serving a nickel at Leavenworth (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

I would listen to Mike and the Dog going home from work. They would have debates and disagreements......mostly about New York Teams but I would listen for the most part. After Russo left for his own station Mad Dog Radio....I listened less to the Fan...Francessa was horrible by himself.....often ridiculing a callers opinion and point of view. Too much of a know it all for me.....Yelling and screaming at Callers. If you can get Satellite Radio and listen to the Mad Dog Station you will be happy. Adam Schein has a Show....I think he is very good....there are others.

Mad Dog kind of served as a filter for Francessa, absolutely, and made him almost tolerable for a time. As the head of his own fiefdom, he's become an arrogant blowhard, as you alluded to, EPW.

Adam Schein is ok; I remember him on SNY when I used to watch. Once they got rid of Scotty Farrell, I got rid of them. He was the only truly interesting personality on the whole network.

As a fellow SiriusXM subscriber, I prefer the NFL Radio channel with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller doing "Moving the Chains" during my ride home, though.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '15

Kim Jones filling in for Francesa today was a good listen.

Of course, in the aftermath of another Mets loss, the callers were all killin' the Metsies.

Mets radio play-by-play guy Josh Lewin did a sports talk show in Baltimore 20 years ago, and I enjoyed listening to him ... this is his penance for leaving Charm City for the Big Apple ... he has to watch the Mets .... EVERY DAY ... hell on earth LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Funniest thing lately was when Joe Beningo thought Caitlyn Jenner was a Jenner daughter instead of the father - she's pretty good , father's messed up though, she's pretty good
, she's cute - what she's the father ? Dat's Bruce? Oh my god , oh my god ! Reminded me of Joe watching True Blood with his daughter then trying to make sense of it on the air the next day .

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=joe+benigno+caitlyn+jenner

Zombo Zombo
Jul '15

Hope his vacation renews him.

It's all Mets this morning ... the words "dreadful to watch" have been voiced several times. Now they are talking about a guy in Double-A being the savior, call him up, call him up...

Will the Mets win 50 games the rest of the year? That's what it will probably take to make the playoffs. They certainly have the pitching.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

You mean Michael Conforto , couldn't do any worse than the bums they've been trotting out lately like Cadaver . Good thing Lucas Dum-Dum turned down the 3 year/30 million the Mets offered him as he swings at every ball in the dirt like he's golfing . The team will be out of it before the end of July , way behind after the next 6 games . Owners only care about holding onto the team as an appreciating asset and will waste this pitching . I swear they care more about developing the Willets Point chop shop area nearby than contending !

http://nypost.com/2015/07/02/michael-conforto-is-a-low-risk-gamble-mets-too-cautious-to-make/

Zombo Zombo
Jul '15

Definitely can see (and hear) that the Mets' fans care more about winning than the ownership does.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Jayson Stark made a mistake with his trivia question on Mike and Mike this morning ... omission is more like it.

His question was ... since Miguel Cabrera joined the Tigers in 2008, he has had six seasons with 30 or more homers. Only two other major leaguers have had five such seasons during that time ... name them.

Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols have done it ... but there was another one Stark omitted ...

Adam Dunn had 40 in 2008, 38 in 2009, 38 in 2010, 41 in 2012 and 34 in 2013 ...
that's five seasons.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '15

Looks like there will be an opening at WFAN soon. Unbelievable.

http://abc7ny.com/boomer-and-carton-co-host-craig-carton-arrested-at-manhattan-apartment/2382282/

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Sep '17

With as nutty (and entertaining) as Carton was, I often wondered if there was something else going on- he seemed way to wound up every AM- I guess his drug of choice- to our knowledge now- was gambling.

Wonder if he will be out on some sort of parole, or if when the Feds come for you, your really screwed and are stuck behind bars until your trial?

Boomer can't carry the show by himself- in a very odd way, this may open the door for our formerly esteemed, now somewhat of a sham Gov. Christie to take his place.

Sep '17

I agree RA. He was a bit over the top for me. What a complete and utter a fool. Nice thing for his wife and four children to deal with.

Entertaining but not very smart.

I feel badly for Boomer and the rest of the crew. What a shame.

Feel bad for the kids not Boomer. Boomer isn't going to suffer. This nitwit just screwed his family.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '17

I feel bad for WFAN listeners that Francesa didn't get locked up as well....

ianimal ianimal
Sep '17

Carton is an idiot, I love the Fan, but couldn't stomach listening to him. Now I can stream it again in the AM.

Denis Denis
Sep '17

Al Hughes - bring back Mad Dog.

mike l mike l
Sep '17

Looks like Carton is out on $500,000 bond, but has been suspended by WFAN, no shocker.

This AM they had Phil Simms sitting in with Boomer- and sounds like they will continue to have fill in co-hosts until they sort out what they are going to do.

I will say Bommer and Simms is a huge snooze fest, dial turner.

Strange end for Carton, for now.

Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.