Potentially moving to Pennsylvania?

Hi!

Does anyone know of any nice towns in Pennsylvania that are pretty much right over the border? Looking into an area that would be good to raise a family in, have a big yard, but not be far from "civilization" lol! Thanks in advance :)

sallyy
Jun '15

Tinicum area across the river from Milford, NJ is a nice area.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '15

if you're gonna go, go all in! Nothing more sad then people moving to PA cause it's 'cheap' and slogging through that commute back to NY/NJ every day. I hear Pittsburgh has alot to offer.

brown bear
Jun '15

Williams township, forks township, Nazareth, plainfield, wind gap(a littlefarther out) are all towns in which you can find a nice yard near a lot of things to do. These are Towns over the border from Phillipsburg though, not down Rt. 80. If you have kids, just be aware that some of the schools are much larger than Hackettstown, so if that is important, check into it.

After living in Stroudsburg for awhile, I would suggest to look at the towns that bac mentions off of Route 78 instead of those off of Route 80.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jun '15

How about Portland, PA? I'm a four minute drive to mile marker 5 on rt. 80 in NJ and around 14 more to exit 19. It is a 10 minute walk from my front door to Columbia NJ via the walking bridge over the Delaware.

Downtown Stroudsburg is 10 minutes away, Delaware Water Gap Borough is 5 minutes. Then you have the DWG National Recreation area a couple miles up the road and the Columbia WMA right over the river.

Nice neighbors, convenient location and lower taxes - not the worst place to live by any means.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jun '15

Stroudsburg has real tax issues. East Stroudsburg is much better and more services for less money. Smithfield and Middle Smithfield somewhere in between. But don't count on those being lower than NJ. It depends.

I've been around the Lehigh Valley doing sports assignments. I always enjoy going to Nazareth ... it is a lovely town with a wonderful town park.

The areas around Oakland Road in Bethlehem Twp. (near Northampton CC and Freedom and Notre Dame High Schools) also look real nice.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

You'll find that there is more "civilization" in PA than in NW NJ. I work in Center Valley, PA and it always shocks people when I say there is more traffic and people in CV than in Hackettstown. They think NJ is all like Bergen County.

Bethlehem township is nice. Center Valley, Quakertown, MacCungie (sp?) are all nice. One thing I've heard is that there is a big jump in taxes when you cross that county line into Bucks County.

Also, PA has a local city income tax - 1% based on my checks. As a NJ resident, I get it back as an NJ tax credit. You would not as a PA resident.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Martins Creek is lovely. Seven miles from the Belvidere bridge, well priced homes, low taxes, family neighborhood. Great shopping, too. Wegmans is right nearby and a brand new Weiss is two miles away. Take a look!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jun '15

jjmonth4

Is it true that in Portland, PA you can get divorced but still be related?

They don't call Pennsyltucky for nothing.

Reynolds
Jun '15

I agree with Lehigh Valley. Emmaus is nice with a nice school district, Bethlehm is nice too. but it's not right over the border. I would avoid Easton which is by Phillipsburg. But if you are looking north, parts of Stroudsberg look nice too.

Victoria Victoria
Jun '15

And they don't call it BUCKS County for nothing ... and I don't mean deer with antlers either.

There is a beautiful Catholic Shrine in Doylestown ... a must-visit for anyone who walks with the Lord.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Like lady Jayne said Martin's Creek is very nice and so is Mount Bethel. As far as Easton, I'd suggest the College Hill area which is very pretty, quaint and historical.

positive positive
Jun '15

Stay away from any area that has or will have fracking, and pipe lines!

USAfirst USAfirst
Jun '15

Martins Creek area is beautiful if you want more rural. Emmaus area is nice, with great schools, but as mentioned, not right over the border, a good half hour + in to PA. One advantage in some of the towns around Easton is the community centers and programs. Bethlehem Twp. has a gorgeous community center with both indoor & outdoor pools, gym, etc. All depends on what kind of community you are really looking for, lots of nice options in the Greater Lehigh Valley area.

The Catholic Shrine that Andy refers to BTW is The National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa, also home to the Labor Day & weekend after Polish-American Festival:

http://www.czestochowa.us/ http://polishamericanfestival.org/

I used to live in Warminster, PA years ago in Southern Bucks Co. It has many covered bridges and is close to events in Philly, etc.

I agree that Nazareth is a nice place, at least to visit. I go there to shop during Christmas time. Love the Boscovs store and you're right around the corner from Allentown/Bethlehem attractions, the Lehigh Valley Airport and plenty of other stores, like the large Target, Walmart, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '15

>> Is it true that in Portland, PA you can get divorced but still be related?<<

Nah, Reynolds. If you're looking for that good old-time consanguineous marriage, Jersey would be your best bet. They will let you legally marry your first cousin, whereas PA will not.

I guess you could travel over the river and get divorced here (though you'd have to go to Easton if you lived here in Portland,) but why bother crossing the river when NJ offers one-stop shopping?

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jul '15

well i moved to pa 4 yrs.ago.i bought a house thinking wow houses are cheaper.but beware of taxes by the time i was done it wasnt cheap.i couldnt find the same food i was use to, believe me when i tell you.i couldnt wait to move back to nj put my house up for sale took over 2 yrs to sell and it was a nice house.it was a nightmare . the school taxes you will always have to pay for even if your kids dont go school anymore.nothing like being in jersey so glad to be out of pa,no more nightmares . there are alot of other places to go to before the border .the only good thing about pa was i adopted my dog there.

Well played jjmonth4

Reynolds
Jul '15

Mt. Bethel, PA

It has what you are looking for.

Plus it's only 25 minutes from here.

shake it up
Jul '15

Go already to the great state of Pennsylvania where you are free to frack...

Proximity to Rt. 80, outdoor recreation and the NJ border (and Hackettstown!) are the primary advantages of living here. Taxes are a little lower, but be aware of the local earned income tax, which is usually 1-1.5% of your earned income. Pension income is exempt from this and the state income tax. Also be aware that after the geniuses in Harrisburg force their "school property tax relief" tax law changes, NJ will look a LOT more attractive for grocery and clothes shopping, while retaining the lower gas prices (around 25 cents lower/gal) and better beer, wine and liquor prices.

Auto inspections by are required yearly, figure around $30 for the safety inspection and another $30-40 for the emissions inspection (required in several counties, including mine.) Insurance cards have to be updated every 6 months. NJ is much less hassle.

Gun laws are much better here, but liquor laws are just plain stupid. Property taxes, like GC said, may not be that low in some school districts...and I don't believe that their "property tax relief" will be much help since the school districts still have several ways to stick it to property owners, in addition to the sales and income tax increases.

Research carefully before moving here, and I suggest staying close to the border if you do.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jul '15

jjmonth4- that was the best and most informative answer so far that I have read on this topic.

PA can be cheaper for some items, as you mention, but really- are the savings really worth it when your paying more for gas, booze, clothes?

Another thing about PA- which I happen to have the "luxury" of working in, and pay a 1% City Tax to a city here in PA- what is with their roads? The roads in PA are by far more pothole ridden and in disrepair than NJ - not even close.

In the winter, the PA roads are downright dangerous. I never can wrap my head around why?

If I were to move to PA, which is in the back of my mind, I would def stay north of Rt.22, but south of Rt.80 and also no further west than the ABE Airport- basically somewhere along that Rt.33 corridor between those two , are some fairly nice areas.

South of Rt.22, you start to get into Allentown/Bethlehem traffic, and trust me- it is just another Rt.80 type parking lot some days.

I agree with jjmonth4- if I were to move to PA, stay within 15 miles of NJ border.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jul '15

yes the gun laws are right in Pa, NJ is behind the times and needs to catch up with the majority of the United States

taxes are a wash, and as indicated, taxes are rising for many reasons.

the Pa county wide school systems for the areas within commuting distance to Jersey have rapidly filled up with young students, and need a lot of new schools, elementary, middle and highschools built, no matter how they are funded, they cost like original sin. and that hurts everyone out there in some form.

taxes/fees are rising rapidly in Pa , it is not nearly as attractive as it used to be.

we are looking further south for a better tax and firearms climate.

where does 'Amercia' really begin? (it sure aint in NJ)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '15

Bd- PA does not have county wide schools, and the boom in building schools is really over in most places. I know of at least one district in the Poconos that just closed an elementary school, and one in the Lehigh Valley had discussed it,but went with another consolidation plan, I believe. The enrollments seem to be declining in many of the border districts. Although your scenario was accurate 15 years ago, I don't believe so anymore.
Also, beware if you are, or may have aspirations to be, a NJ public employee. If so, you must reside in NJ.
Good luck in your decision. I have numerous relatives on 'the other side of the river', and there are some great communities and lots to do in some of them!

thx bac, i did not know that, appreciate the update

i thought the Pa public schools had county wide superintendents?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '15

Sounds like a good option for someone who needs to live on a pension, with the tax exemptions, especially if you shop in Jersey. Unless they get it back from you in some other way.

The fracking thing is scary too. But PA has always been big in mining of one kind or another.

hktownie hktownie
Jul '15

ash

Actually you pay school tax here in NJ, but it's as a segment of your property tax and not billed separately That's part of the reason property taxes are so high here. Also you do still pay school tax here even if you don't have any children in school, since, as I mentioned, it's folded into your general property tax fund. In a number of other states, a "School District" is a much larger entity and will ofttimes consist of a good number of High Schools, rather than one High School and all the "sending" lower grade schools associated with that one, so one Superintendent has a much greater area that they're responsible for.

The textbook selection is shared within a larger area, so buying power is increased, etc. Part of the problem here in NJ is that small school district area. How different do textbooks and curricula need to be within schools only 10 miles from one another, especially if the State has standardized testing, etc.?

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '15

BrotherDog - You are probably thinking of the Intermediate Units. They have a whole second level of administrators and personal for special purpose resources. That's above and beyond the school systems.

Good for you :) its good to be able to escape from this dying state

bump3 bump3
Jul '15

rent first dont buy cause if u dont like it you dont have to worry about selling your house like i did.its not that cheap to live there .if you weigh all the taxes its not cheap.the houses maybe thats it. beware

Renting a place in a new area before buying one is sound advice.

If you find out you don't like it it is waaay easier, and cheaper, to fix it by moving to the next greener pasture.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jul '15

This is the type of garbage that has moved to the Poconos:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2015/08/pennsylvania_man_tries_to_steal_citi_bike_to_commu.html#incart_river

Pretty much shi! all over the place...

Doylestown is a nice area... Further in I loved living in the area of West Chester and Media.

Doylestown is nice as is West Chester...

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.