Switching over Registration and Insurance

I am trying to switch registration and insurance from one used car to another.

My problem is I would have to drive the car with the current insurance and registration to the DMV and back home. However, on the way home this car wouldn't have anymore insurance or registration. Is there a grace period? How does this work?

CarProblems CarProblems
Jun '15

talk to your insurance company - they will work it out - as will motor vehicle as long as the docs are signed over to you

5catmom 5catmom
Jun '15

wow you cant I dont think

Skippy Skippy
Jun '15

Call your insurance company now and put the car on the policy. Should just need the Make/Model/VIN and the coverage limits you want.

Drive to the DMV to title/register it (with the signed title). Don't get pulled over. By the time you leave it will all be yours. Bring a screwdriver to install the new plates.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '15

You have to transfer the insurance over before you can even register the car.

justcurious justcurious
Jun '15

you need to insure the car before you can register it. you can do it the same day.
Add the car to your insurance policy and register it.

Can you get someone to drive you to the MVC?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '15

Insurance doesn't get "switched over." You add new car on the policy, delete the other. Registration doesn't transfer either. You register the new car for a year, don't get any kind of credit for the time remaining on the previous.
The only thing that might transfer are the plates.

music gal music gal
Jun '15

Just don't surrender the tags maybe? Go to Washington dmv there is a policeman stationed there - maybe ask them with the dmv personnel present?

skippy skippy
Jun '15

Music gal - online the insurance says replace so it does switch over and registration does refund because I asked them already. They said as long as I replace and not make it new.

As for getting a driver I can't find anyone who doesn't work the time I need

Thank you everyone

CarProblems CarProblems
Jun '15

CarProblems - When music gal said the registration doesn't refund, I don't think she was referring to the insurance money. Yes, the insurance money is not lost whether you cancel one and create a new policy on the other, or you add the new car and delete the old on the existing policy. It's better to keep the existing policy because there are much higher costs allowed on new policies that are in effect for 3 years.

I believe music gal was referring to a refund of your fee from NJ DMV. You will have no credit for the prior registration and have to pay a full new fee to DMV.

PS. Have you considered a solution as carrying insurance on both cars for 1 day? Add the second car on the insurance but do not delete the old car. Wait until the day after registration then delete the original car. Because it's all prorated, just a single day shouldn't be much money.

You can transfer the plate and registration from one car to another, it is less than doing a new plate and registration. You keep the same plates and they print you a new registration card but the expiration date on it is still the same as your old card. You can't do this if your old one is about to expire, they would then make you do a renewal not a transfer but you could still keep plates if you wanted. I think this is what the poster is trying to do. If you do this and drive your old car home and the police officer runs your plate it will be linked to the new vehicle. If you just did a new plate and registration and added the vehicle to your insurance, you would be okay but would pay more. I am not sure of any kind of grace period etc.

Sunshine Sunshine
Jun '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.