Watch out for Walmart's return policy

Watch out for Walmart's return policy

Went to return a toddler bed set, never opened at the Mansfield Walmart. Unfortunately didnt have receipt. Paid $22 for it. They gave me $10.70 for the return. When I questioned why they said that was the current price the item was selling for in the store now. When I asked them where it stated that policy on the one posted right behind them..i was told that was policy. I have attached their policy from their website..consumer beware

Annoyed shopper Annoyed shopper
Jun '15

Most stores will only refund you the current selling price without a receipt...not just Walmart.

concernedparent concernedparent
Jun '15

Makes total sense without the receipt. Without proof, what are their options really?Any idiot can say " hey I don't have my receipt but I paid $100 for this". As much as I'd like to side with the consumer, you are wrong.

NoHopeForHumanity NoHopeForHumanity
Jun '15

Common practice and makes sense since some people (not you) would buy something on sale and return it for full price. With that said it should clearly be stated on the return policy.

I understand that a lot of people hate Walmart but there is nothing legally wrong or morally wrong with what they did. That is the standard practice in every store I have ever shopped in. Time to take a little personal responsibility on this one. If you want full price don't loose your receipt.

hot under the collar
Jun '15

The price was clearly marked on item. I would be alright with it except for the unposted policy

Jun '15

Unfortunately, it started being a scam in most stores and they had to change it. I thought that was standard in most stores. I think some stores keep track of how often you try to return items without a receipt by asking for your drivers license and will only allow a certain number of returns in a 12 month period.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '15

Without a receipt, how do they know what you paid for it? They have no choice but to give you the current selling price as a refund. I see your point, that is should definitely be posted.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jun '15

This is standard in so many retail stores, not just Walmart. They do have return policies posted, too, in the customer service area and the back of your receipt.

ladeevee ladeevee
Jun '15

At Lowes you don't need a receipt if you paid with a credit card. They just scan the card that was used to purchase and will credit it back to the card.

I don't know if all stores do that but it's pretty convenient if you use a card to pay.

Joe M Joe M
Jun '15

Joe does that only work if you charged 1 item to your card. If you charge multiple items and then try to return just 1 will they be able to see how much you paid for that 1 item? That would be pretty cool if it's true

And to annoyed shopper, every store's return policy is posted in the customer service deptment and in the back of the receipts. Where else would you like it posted so you are sure to see it?

Darwin Darwin
Jun '15

If you pay with a CC, most stores can just scan the card and see what amount you paid and refund you the exact price you paid. If you didn't use a CC, then you get
the price the it's selling for that day.

Jun '15

Returning to Mansfield Wally World flat out stinks compared to Mount Olive Wally . I bought a push broom at Mt.Olive last year whose plastic screw in shaft broke on about the third brush stroke . Returned it with receipt to Mansfield thinking Walmart is Walmart , but the jerk behind the counter would not accept it because they didn't sell that model there (but they did sell it's smaller version ) . Also this dork noticed a small black smudge on a yellow part and said it was well used even though the receipt was only two days old and the broom looked brand new . Should being slightly used within the return period even matter anyway ? Took it to Mt. Olive and returned with no problem as did the 8 people in front of me with their returns .

Bought a juicer at Clinton Wally that was too small for my use and Mt.Olive took it back with no problem when I explained why I didn't want it . Not saying they would do that with no receipt , but they would be more open to it than Mansfield .

Zombo Zombo
Jun '15

I have no problem with this return policy. i would think most stores have the same policy and some wont take anything back without a receipt so your lucky you got anything. Save your receipt if you want to return it. Simple as that.

sack
Jun '15

Darwin as i said in my first statement and i also posted the return policy from walmarts corporate web. It says nothing about only giving the current price . I think this needs to be clearly posted for the consumers to be aware and the two Managers at Walmart and the customer Service rep at corporate all agreed. My intention of this post was to make others aware

Jun '15

Without proof of what you paid for the item, and on what date you bought it, there isn't a store around that will refund you any more than the current selling price. Actually, Walmart's policy of giving you cash back without a receipt is more generous than most stores which will only give you a store credit without proof of purchase.

You paid a higher price when you originally bought it and it was subsequently permanently marked down -- so that new price is what it's worth. Next time, save your receipt.

While you may be honest Annoyed Shopper, the fact of the matter is for all the merchant knows, you picked that item off the shelf, never paid for it, and then walked over to Customer Service and tried to scam them out of the cash; don't scoff, it happens all the time.

JerryG JerryG
Jun '15

I agree with Jerry but if you feel that strongly about the amount they will refund without a receipt, I would write a letter to their corporate office. I actually thought that was posted by customer service, but I must have it confused with another store since that is common practice.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '15

smh...I didn't have the receipt and they didn't do exactly what i wanted. ffs, save the receipts on any merchandise you wish to return. it's common sense really.

brown bear
Jun '15

That's better then home depot, they will give you the lowest price it has been......ever, because there is no way to tell when you actually bought it... both reasonable though, if you are not going to keep your receipt you are not going to get full back, prices fluctuate, just be happy they will even accept a return without a receipt!!!

Darrin Darrin
Jun '15

Like I said before, IF you paid with CC, they CAN give you back EXACTLY what you paid. IF you paid with CASH, then you get the selling price of that day. At Walmart, I didn't have receipt and got a gift card as my refund, so if they gave you cash, you actually made out on the good end.

Jun '15

That is the standard return policies at most retail stores if you don't have a receipt. You do not have your receipt and can't prove what you paid for it or even if you bought the item from Walmart. It's a fair return policy to only pay you the current selling price of the item. The lesson learned here should be to keep your receipt if there is any possibility that you might want to make a return.

Amber Amber
Jun '15

Annoyed Shopper - you have NO proof that you actually bought the item so stop complaining & be grateful they gave you something for it.

Buffy Buffy
Jun '15

Sorry I didn't read your link. Maybe each store manager is allowed leeway on the return policy of that store is a high risk for loss. Which we all know the Mansfield store deals with a lot of theft

BTW when did you buy the item that is now already 50% off?

Darwin Darwin
Jun '15

Bessie, I did once write to the corporate office and they did not even give me the courtesy of a reply. I had an oil change at the Mt. Olive store and was told by the young girl at the register that I needed 4 new tires. She made it sound as though my tires would explode before I got home. I had the print out of all the checks they did, including the recommended depth of the tire tread. When I checked my owners manual, the depth recommended was exactly what the print out read. I sent letters to corporate and the manager of the Mt. Olive store, along with the print out. I never heard a word from them. I'll never get any auto work done there. I wouldn't believe or trust anything they said.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jun '15

Bottom line Annoyed Shopper you had no receipt and you paid cash, did you really expect to get what you paid for it?

outsider outsider
Jun '15

This return policy is pretty standard, but here's the thing about WalMart that got to me. I bought an air mattress for camping and paid the extra $3 or $5 for the extended 'no fault' warranty. Figured for an item like this it was worth it, and the price was low.

Then when it got a leak within the first year, I took out the paperwork to go exchange it. But they printed it on some shiny paper and stapled it into a little folder, and most of the ink was rubbed off! So they couldn't/wouldn't honor it.

My new policy is never buy the extended warranty. And always for any receipt that you intend to save, make a copy on normal paper.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '15

HD, Lowes, and Kohl's can look up your purchase if you paid with a cc. It doesn't matter how many items were on the single receipt. There is a time limit but it's several months. After a certain period of time (again, not sure what it is), at least HD will give you store credit but at the price you paid.

I do this all the time with HD/Lowes. I buy stuff for a project and then when it's all done, I do one massive return for the stuff I didn't use.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

How would they know what you originally paid? And they need to protect themselves from scammers. That is a standard policy and not a case of buyer beware at all.

somechik somechik
Jun '15

emaxxman,

Is that how I bought a load of lumber at Home Depot, and found nails already pounded into some of the boards? Did I get your returns?

JerryG JerryG
Jun '15

"The price was clearly marked."

I probably have stuff in my basement still clearly marked from Ames/Jamesway. Clearly marked means nothing other than that the item sold for that price at one time. I know you posted to make others aware (and more likely to vent/bash the store), but I'll be honest, I'm shocked you didn't know it worked this way. This is how stores have been doing it for a long time. If you don't save receipts you'll have to get used to this. Also, I think Walmart only lets you return 3 items without a receipt before they reject all receipt-less returns. Other stores, such a Toys R Us, no longer even take items back without a receipt, the exceptions being items you can prove were bought off of a gift registry, but don't quote me on that as they may not even do that any more. Companies have gotten smart to peoples' ways of scamming. Next time try selling your items on Craigslist or a FB yard sale group, you might get more money :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jun '15

Sadly stores have so many policies because of theft. If you buy a video game or dvd and it doesn't work most places will only do an exchange for the same item and not a return. Not sure if this is still policy at Walmart because I haven't had it happen in forever. When I have returns I like to just return items then do my shopping and buy the replacement, just so I don't have to come back to do the exchange. They wouldn't let me because people will watch movies and then bring back and so it is damaged. I understood why and just did the exchange even though it took more time.

Sunshine Sunshine
Jun '15

JerryG - Ha. Not me. I would've pulled the nails out and returned separately. LOL.

The Walmart policy is reasonable to me. Best Buy is the one that has an unreasonable policy IMO. Years ago, my son got a video game for his birthday with a gift receipt. We didn't want it. I tried to return it (unopened and sealed in the clear wrapper still) with the gift receipt. They would only give me the last sale price (whereas full price was paid for it.) Now that was total bullsh*t. I have never purchased a video game from them because of that incident.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Mansfield's Walmart has gone steadily down hill since there renovation. Products never in stock and customer service leaves something to be desired. I love the Mt Olive and Boonton locations. Have contacted Walmart corporate to express my concerns, but they did not even respond to my concerns. Mansfield Walmart, GET YOU ACT TOGETHER

CAMILLE p CAMILLE p
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.