Turtleback Zoo

Haven't been to Turtleback for many years and we're looking for a place to take the g'kids for a few hours. Anyone been there lately? Wasn't much to it years ago but it was ok. Can't really tell much from their website of course so comments are appreciated.

ExTownie
Jun '15

I haven't been there in many years either. However, it came up in conversation about a month ago and several people said that it was really nice these days.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '15

Turtleback Zoo is awesome! The penguins and prairie dogs are great to see and there is a place where you can touch stingrays in a tank. There's a playground, etc.

Went there as a kid. Loved it. Its been a loooong time.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jun '15

Turtle back Zoo is nice. Lehigh Valley Zoo is also a nice zoo.

gm mom
Jun '15

We go to the Turtleback Zoo at least twice a year. It's great! Clean, small enough for young kids to walk through, and very interactive. And you can bring your own food and drink, which is a plus!

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Jun '15

Re: Turtleback Zoo

Went two years in a row about 2 years back. It's really nice. You can get pretty close to the animals and there is a nice variety of them too. They opened a penguin pavilion recently but I haven't had a chance to visit it. Peacocks roam freely so that is neat for the kids to see.

Turtleback has much more than the Lehigh Valley Zoo but LVZ is still nice.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

I'm actually looking for coupons to Turtleback Zoo. If anyone has some they are willing to part with, I'd appreciate it. :)

I think there might be one in the Kids Coupon books, but I don't have one.

Essex County has really invested in the whole area around Turtleback Zoo...there are many great attractions within the zoo, from pony rides, a train, and a carousel to an aviary where visitors can feed parakeets. It's small enough to be easy on the kids, but there's plenty to keep them interested. Great way to spend a day!

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Jun '15

Before we moved we purchased a family membership to Turtle Back. My kids loved it!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jun '15

Never been to Turtleback, would love to check it out. If you're looking for another place, Space Farms in Sussex County is really amazing. It not only has animals, but some really neat antique cars, and museum like exhibits.

DoxieMommy DoxieMommy
Jun '15

My kids love it. Like others said it is small enough yet good amount to see. Dont know how old your kids are but mine also like taking a break in the small playground they have too. We were just there in April and some of the summer things weren't open yet but kids still had a nice time. They also have activities at certain times and last summer we learned about sheep shearing and watching one get sheared.

If you have younger kids with a stroller just get your leg muscles ready cause its hilly :)

The Children's Ministries of Grace Churce in Netcong is having a trip there on 7/22. Here is the info:

TURTLE BACK ZOO TRIP: Children's Ministries is hosting a trip to the Turtle Back Zoo. Purchase your tickets in advance on July 5, 12 or 19 in the lobby of the Church. The cost is $9 per person. Meet us Wednesday, July 22, at 9:30 AM at the zoo and we will enter the zoo as a group. For more information contact Susan McDermott at susan@grace4families.com or 973-347-0667 ext. 35.

Antimony Antimony
Jun '15

I went there last year with my granddaughter - it is so much different from years past. I was very impressed. Planning another trip for this year, with my nephews this time! Fun for all ages.

partyplanning partyplanning
Jun '15

I agree with a lot of the above. Essex county has been doing a lot of work around there, and it is worth the trip for a few hours, to a day.

OneTiredGuy OneTiredGuy
Jun '15

Anyone old enough to have ridden the turtles as a kid - seems cruel now as an adult but my guy loved it

skippy skippy
Jun '15

Bronx Zoo is the best in the whole metro area--- worth the ride!

5catmom 5catmom
Jun '15

No Skippy and I've been going there since I was a little kid. I missed that one. Lol. My favorites were the penguins and the train ride.

positive positive
Jun '15

Went in the fall for the first time and loved it! For the price, it's well worth it and never too crowded which is always a plus

"If you're looking for another place, Space Farms in Sussex County is really amazing."

I think Space Farms is the lamest and saddest zoo (if that's what you want to call it). Does it really compare to Turtle Back Zoo? If so it would save me a trip to Turtle Back

Nosila Nosila
Jun '15

Nosila,
Not at all!! Turtleback is so very nice and you can see all the animals have an appropriate sanctuary. Space Farms is just sad.

seenit
Jun '15

Space Farms is gross!!!! You can not compare that dump to Turtleback at all!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jun '15

Space Farms is older than many people on this forum and you have no idea of the things Fred Space and his family have done for their community over the decades.

Turtle back is the benefactor of subsidies from the county .

Steven Steven
Jun '15

My brother visited SF recently. He told me that all the animals were fed bread.

Gadfly Gadfly
Jun '15

Steven........
What the Space family has - or has not done - for their community is irrelevant.
These comments are about the *care* of the animals at Space Farm.

hapiest girl
Jun '15

I agree Steven. Space Farms has been around for many years. I went there as a child and have taken many children there over the years.
I would think that if there were issues or complaints regarding the mistreatment of the animals or how they are cared for action would have been taken.
I remember being there on several occasions when one of the sons would be riding around on a tractor with the back filled with meat for the animals. I find it laughable to say that all of the animals are being fed bread. Unless things have radically changed in the last few years. Many of their animals have been there for several years. What was that bear? Goliath? He was there when I was a child and into my adulthood. I just don't think that would be possible if the animals were treated as poorly as some claim.

Are there bigger, better, fancier zoos? Sure, but I kinda like the fact that this one is close to home, small, and run by a good family that cares about their community.

The Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) will not accredit Space Farms as it fails to meet required standards.

The AZA Accreditation Commission members are expert leaders in their fields and have many years of experience and education in zoo & aquarium operations, animal management, and veterinary medicine.

The Accreditation Commission evaluates every zoo & aquarium to make sure it meets AZA's standards for animal management and care, including living environments, social groupings, health and nutrition.

The Accreditation Commission also evaluates things such as safety, physical facilities, veterinary care, etc.

Space Farms does NOT meet the required standards and as a result is NOT accreditated by the AZA.

hapiest girl
Jun '15

" IF" Space Farms were provided subsidies , I am certain they would meet AZA , or any other standards.
There is a reason the taxes in essex county are through the roof , ask someone that lives there .
The Space family has done their best over the years to care for all animals,long before it was "trendy " and long before there were standards.
They have supported their community longer than many of you on this forum are old, no need to speak poorly of them.
They would have their facility closed if were as bad as you people make it out to be.
( which was the case recently to a much smaller farm )

Steven Steven
Jun '15

All you have to do is google reviews for Space Farms. (tripadvisor, yelp, etc)

Space Farms actually made it on the list of 10 worst zoos in the national Parade Magazine.
The list was made in conjunction with the Humane Society.

http://www.zoochat.com/22/1984-worst-2005-u-s-list-259561/

http://www.zoochat.com/2/worst-2005-68069

Have they really "done their best over the years to care for all animals"?
If they didn't have the money to improve the conditions of the animals, they surely could have asked for help from their community, which you say THEY have helped over the years.

hapiest girl
Jun '15

80+ years suggests they have been doing something the right way .....since 1929 ....long before many others even thought about animals and their care.

Believe it or not, there was a time when there was no assistance from government, you did things entirely out of your own personal inspiration and passion to make a difference .

Steven Steven
Jun '15

Steven,
"Believe it or not" to coin your phrase, time has nothing to do with how good something is.
There are plenty of things that have existed for a long time but that doesn't necessarily make them good.
Need any examples?
;-)

It is still my opinion, and the opinion of many others, including The Humane Society, that Space Farms perpetuates deplorable conditions for most of the animals.
If they really cared about those animals they would release them to animal sanctuaries or a conscientious zoo. I think all they care about is making money.

hapiest girl
Jun '15

Actually, Space Farms has been taking in animals that other zoos and sanctuaries would not over the years.
This is also a matter of record ( for decades ).

This is information that is also available if you research the history .

Yes, the facility is in need of the same subsidies that essex county offers....so why not focus on addressing that inequity instead of trashing the place .

People today are more focused on "how cheap can I" get something and "what will they give me ", with no regard for how a place came into existence and how it will sustain itself in the future..... THAT IS MY OPINION

Steven Steven
Jun '15

A "Farm-Qualified" low tax bill is a subsidie. This information along with their revenue is also available if you research. Your comment about it being able to "sustain" itself is not an issue.
But that aside, people on this thread were discussing the care and living conditions of the animals. As someone on this thread said, "Space Farms is just sad."

hapiest girl
Jun '15

Space Farms is a great zoo. If they were that bad, they would have been closed down. I don't know them but I would assume they care about money. Even hospitals only care about money. Animals there look fine and I am not really worried about the deer enclosures being too close to the wolf enclosures. And there is a hell of a lot more room for animals to roam around in Space Farms than TurtleBack. Generally speaking.

For all the Space Farm haters, when was the last time that you were actually there? How can you bash something so fiercely if you have not been there in 10+ years?

And as long as they are not abusing animals to the level of being closed, why should I give a rat's arse about some AZA or other accreditation? Am I going to visit Harvard of zoos or something?

TM

Troublemaker Troublemaker
Jun '15

Has anyone been to the Bergen County Zoo --- wondering what it's like and if it is worth the trip.

happiest girl
Nov '17

Bergen county zoo is small, but it's nice. If I recall correctly there's a train and a carousel in season.

LenaK LenaK
Nov '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.