2015 Summer Flower Pictures

2015 Summer Flower Pictures

Guess what day it is......

No, not THAT day. Although it is Wednesday...

It's officially summer now, and after two weeks of being 'mobileGC' so much has bloomed.

Rose Campion

Re: 2015 Summer Flower Pictures

Globe flower

Red hot poker

Hey Chickadee - is yours doing OK?

something pretty --and unknown to me

5catmom 5catmom
Jun '15

no idea about what flowers they are except I took the pictures at Longwood Gardens

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jun '15

Picture #2

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jun '15

Picture #3

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jun '15

GC, I've always loved that red hot poker. I can't wait until things settle down and I can start planting again.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Jun '15

sunshinenj the purple flowers look like clematis. Are they climbing? They like feet in the shade, body in the sun.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '15

GC what is the name of the first picture you posted? Where can you get it? Thanks!

JustSaying2 JustSaying2
Jun '15

hktownie - I think you're 100% right. sunshinenj's first and second pictures are both clematis. I was predicting a banner year for those. I didn't get around to posting it until now, but here's a picture of mine just after this morning's rain. I have it planted at the bottom of holly bushes so it stays cool there, but gets full sun as it climbs on top of the holly.

JustSaying2 - It's at the bottom of the post, that's called "Rose Campion". The bold colors stand out just about any where. You can get it at any of the usual local places - Godlewsky's, Well Sweep, Donaldson's, etc.

Speaking of Donaldson's - thanks to 'Perennialfest' here is a new addition this year, a very deep burgundy coreopsis.

Here's mine!

John C John C
Jun '15

and another

John C John C
Jun '15

Queen of the Prairee!

Iris - Yeah!! You've spoken about that a couple of times and were really working hard on that particular plant. Looks like it's turned out quite well.

Butterfly weed & heliopsis combo. With variegated solomon's seal that's already come and gone in between for foliage.

I could use some butter fly weed. Mine has disappeared!

Iris - Again? You said that last year but then we figured out you have the pink one, "swamp milk weed". That sounded really interesting to me and I actually went out and got some of the pink too. It's only a couple of days away from being fully open and ready for a picture. Odd thing though is you were mentioning about a fragrance. I don't really smell anything, at least not yet.

But in any case, if it's the orange you need I can help you out later in the year when it would be a good time to transplant. This is the first year mine has been big enough to try to split. I have one small area that did sprout up, and I moved about half of it to a better spot. So I have the other half that will now be available without risking anything else. Remind me later in the year if you still want it Iris.

Meanwhile, I can't figure out why this bee balm is totally in full scale bloom in semi-shade of the side of the house. While in the full sun of the garden the bee balm is way behind and not nearly as tall or dense.

Cbels garden is doing wonderful! No deer here, they must all be at my yard as they are eating everything in sight. I spray then it rains so I go out and spray again. It's a vicious cycle trying to get ahead of them!
Yes, GC, I'll have to try it in a different location.

My first lily!!!

iris - I'm very happy that some other plants have hidden one my easter lilies. The deer have destroyed everything in the front in my driveway. But on the side of the house they never munched these lilies and it's going to bloom shortly for the first time in 5 years.

The daisies at cbel's gardens are amazingly healthy. I think we do need to trim the irises down in size. It's crowding out the light to the day lily and the hostas in the back.

Let's get together later in the season and we'll do some dividing.

Is it Easter yet?? I put some Deer Out on this last night just in case, and they opened up without Bambi & Co. calling them breakfast. Thank you Swamp Milkweed for hiding these away so they actually got to full bloom for the first time in 5 years...

Pretty --- Deer Out worked???

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

They're beautiful, GC!! I have been making my own version of deer out. I bought a bottle of mint from the health food store and add about 15-20 drops in a spray bottle of water. Since deer out is a mint dirivitive, I gave it a try; works but you must reapply after the rain.

Thanks iris. They smell as good as they look too.

Deer Out is a combination of mint oil, garlic, and rotten eggs. I always figured two out of three would be easy, but I'm not messing with the eggs part. I suppose if you boiled eggs and just used the solid egg yolks it might be similar. But I'm not going to let them rot in my house...

And yes 5catmom, at least temporarily it does help. Not perfect, but it does help some and my goal was just to get it to last through 2-3 days until they bloomed like that.

Here's that pink butterfly weed (Swamp Milkweed).

Aphrodite Fritillary. Seems like today was the day for them. Besides the various bees, five of these butterflies were all over the butterfly weed as well as the daisies.

Not sure what type of butterfly this is but it's beautiful!

iris - it's certainly in the same family, one of the fritillary butterflies. Because the bottom band of the wings is a lighter color, I think it's a Mexican Fritillary.

Picture to compare here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euptoieta_hegesia#/media/File:Mexican_Fritillary_%28Euptoieta_hegesia%29_dorsal.jpg

Was up visiting Cbels garden at the Library today, GC, and saw the beautiful daisies and, of course, the butterflies as well. The garden is so lovely...

joyful joyful
Jul '15

Sweet - Zinnia.

More pots.

Our blueberry bushes are ripe now. It looks like blueberry pancakes will be on tomorrow's breakfast menu. I hope the birds leave some for us to eat.

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Jul '15

We had Loads of those butterflies on our plants today. They've been here since Monday at least.

littlelu littlelu
Jul '15

I got into the mood to do macros - here's one...........if I remember correctly, one name is English Daisy

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Something new this year.......Pineapple Lily !

Mariann Mariann
Jul '15

nice one - Mariann -- I don't think I've ever seen it.......
here's a hydrangea about to bloom............

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

lots of beautiful flowers and butterflies to see at NJ Botanical Garden, Ringwood

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Love Lantana - wish I could get it to come back every year !!

Mariann Mariann
Jul '15

Petunia after the rain today.

Just curious, do you Axd, mariann or 5catmom have deer in your yards and, if so, how do you still have flowers? They are eating everything in my yard and I now have netting around my plants. They have bitten my netting and chomped off my butterfly bushes and ate my phlox. We now have 3 fawn and their mom's here even lying down in the yard. I can get as close as 5' from them and I try and shoo them away. Cute but very annoying. Your flowers are beautiful - I am envious.

justwondering justwondering
Jul '15

justwondering - most of the flowers I've posted are not in my yard............they are at gardens around and about - deer have devoured some of my plants - and I have been unsuccessful with Deer Out and other such brews..............

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

It's a fighting battle at my house too. I have to spray almost everyday due to the rain. I don't get why they have to eat our flowers when there is so much vegetation in the woods.

Deer and rabbits do eat some of my plants
but they have never touched the Lantana or my Dahlia's. I plant them every year and they leave them alone!

Mariann Mariann
Jul '15

Deer have not seem to touch my butterfly bush at all even though it's right next to phlox. They have definitely nibbled the tops of that phlox and another clump of it. The deer have been merciless around the driveway but have left my front door and side area alone. They won't touch the heliopsis, bee balm, or cone flower. But the cupid's dart, marigolds, and impatiens are complete toast. Pin cushion flower they nibble all the buds but leave the rest. Blanket flower next to the pin cushion they won't touch.

It's definitely a battle, I do use some Deer Out on the plants I'm really try to save. And a container with a moth ball and Irish Spring has successfully kept them away from a clematis.

In particular I battle over balloon flower. I have a bumper crop fortunately this year, but earlier some fawns really nibbled the tops of some of the plants. Luckily it just grows back new buds just isn't as tall. It leaves me with two different heights depending on whether they were munched or not.

Not flowers, but very interesting ! They are even brighter orange than they look in the picture ! Growing in our front yard.........anyone know what kind of mushrooms they are ?

Mariann Mariann
Jul '15

what a relief to come here and see wonderful pictures - a patch of sanity on the forum

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

at Leonard Buck Gardens, Far Hills - a lovely place to wander for a while

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

This was at Hershey Gardens on Thursday. Roses of every color !!

Mariann Mariann
Jul '15

Even in different parts of the garden, the deer have really bitten off the tops of most sections of phlox. Repeatedly enough to have only one area coming through. It's seriously made a couple of sections have a blank area in them. Luckily one spot is close to the deck and tucked away in a corner and in the back and off to the side. Otherwise I'd have none at all.

And even if the deer nibble on part of the plants, by the time they eat a flower of a day lily, it's already gone. That's the thing about lasting only one day.

Hydragenia tree getting ready to bloom.

A lily the deer didn't get.

A few Black Eyed Susan's the deer left me.

iris - Do the deer go after the hydrangea tree like they do a regular hydrangea?? If not, I should get one of those. The deer jumping my fence is clearly after the hydrangea and then munching a few other things while he's at it.

I'm surprised about the black eyed susan - mine are untouched where deer have thoroughly trashed the rest of the flower buffet.

GC I have two large hydrangeas --- The deer haven't bothered them and they have definitely dined on some of my other plants.....

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

an extreme abundance of flowers this year on this hydrangea

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

5catmom - Amazing. Hydrangea is like fillet mignon to deer. If those have survived you're very lucky. I think something is up with the deer population. They're by passing old time favorites for weird individual preferences. One person's black eyed susan is another's phlox is another's day lily. We may have a deer snob issue... ;-)

The liatris isn't in full bloom, but at least the deer left this while they've eaten it in other years.

Amazing pictures!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.