Obama dropped the "N-word" during a speech

So if the president can use this word, can my child use it too?!
WONDERFUL role model!!!

fussylady fussylady
Jun '15

Are you kidding me?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/barack-obama-n-word-race-relations-marc-maron-interview/

Darrin4
Jun '15

1 - It was during a podcast, during a conversation about race. It was not used as slang, but in reference to the hate behind the word itself.

2 - If you, as a parent, allow your child to take moral cues from the President - thank God you didn't have a kid during Nixon, Clinton, or Bush. You'd have a crooked, adulterer warl lord for a son or daughter!

I hear you white people say "well, so and so used the n-word, so why can't I?!"

No one's stopping you! No law! No vigilante! I implore you to use the n-word in public, especially in the presence of a black person. Lemme know how that works out!

DeaconBlus DeaconBlus
Jun '15

Is there a link? I haven't heard it.

If he did use it, I'd like to know what the context of the message was.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/barack-obama-n-word-race-relations-marc-maron-interview/

"Racism, we are not cured of it," Mr. Obama said. "And it's not just a matter of it not being polite to say n****r in public. That's not the measure of whether racism still exists or not. It's not just a matter of overt discrimination. Societies don't, overnight, completely erase everything that happened 200 to 300 years prior."

I hate Obama and every word that comes out of his mouth. But honestly, here he makes sense. It's the most sense he has made in quite some time. I think it's about time that we realize that all this fake political correctness is not what eradicates racism.

skippy skippy
Jun '15

It's not like he was just throwing the word around. Did you even listen to the interview? I think Obama saying it is the least of your worries for your kids.

Sounds to me like he was saying it's NOT a nice word to use, but not the only thing that matters when it comes to discrimination. There are more serious issues pertaining to discrimination. But by no means does Obama think "ni@!er" is an acceptable term use freely. Sounds like more spinning of the media and of course FOX and friends will cut his speech to pieces. They will probably just show Obama saying the "n" word, out of context, over and over again.

sallysimpson sallysimpson
Jun '15

Good point sallysimpson.

positive positive
Jun '15

Fussylady did you actually hear the interview or did you just read the scroll on the bottom of Foxnews?

Clearly in that context he made a valid point by using that word. Getting rid of that word in public doesn't mean all racism goes away.

Darwin Darwin
Jun '15

good lord, people - such gullibility - such willingness to jump onto whatever someone else picks for you to see or hear - such willingness to disconnect from any intelligent consideration - active seeking for polarizing, small minded crap to hang your hat upon.... no wonder we continue in our frozen government... it's our own fault.

pmnsk pmnsk
Jun '15

Isn't that what this forum is for? Any comments can be labeled as gullible and vice versa. If we didn't "jump in ", there would be no more Hackettstown Life.

Jun '15

hi sally, wasn't responding to the forum, am very glad that it is being discussed, discussion/debate is great - was responding to the apparent willingness of the op and others right along with him/her to just accept what they're fed.. getting tired of all the one-bit name calling drama from both sides that people seem to eat up, meanwhile, little of substance is done... and the cable news makes money....

pmnsk pmnsk
Jun '15

Did I offend you quoting the news? Not getting your responses

skippy skippy
Jun '15

AND.... skippy even quoted CNN.... a "trusted, objective" source of "news" ROFL.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '15

It's hilarious to me that those who rail so loudly against "political correctness" would get so offended when the President drops it for a moment.

Just goes to prove, there's no pleasing some people.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '15

You just have to love headline readers.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Trigger word - Success!

Just remember that trigger words only have the power that you give them. Personally, the word means nothing to me except for the *context* in which it is used. What context is the President using here?

justintime justintime
Jun '15

Fussylady, did you read the interview or just repeat the headline? If it was 't so sad it would be funny.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '15

Have we become a bunch of pompes ass es that we have to worry about every word we speak freedom of speech who cares if he said the N word is that a nown or a pro nown

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jun '15

What can I say?

People just have an emotional, irrational hatred of President Obama.

And I'm a registered Republican saying this.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Emotional, yes. Irrational? Not necessarily!

justintime justintime
Jun '15

Jefferson,

I find it very interesting that, of all the comments you could've made, that you chose to pick on CNN. They are merely reporting on what is seen as controversy by Obama's adversaries.

What's more interesting, is Fox News' coverage of this faux-scandal:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-friends-how-dare-obama-use-n-word-during-conversation-on-racism/
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/rapper-in-chief-fox-contributor-piles-on-obamas-use-of-n-word/
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-jesse-watters-obamas-n-word-was-premeditated/

DeaconBlus DeaconBlus
Jun '15

@Deacon "I implore you to use the n-word in public, especially in the presence of a black person. Lemme know how that works out!"

Yup, and that is the problem, if black people are so offended by that very word, why is it that many of them use it so often? I hear it in black music, black conversation, etc. If you are exposed to the word and say the word yourself, how can you be upset when a person of annother color uses that same word?

Our president using the word was completely unnecesary, he could.of made the same point by simply saying the "n word " but in our country race always has to be a issue......

Darrin4
Jun '15

Does any on honestly give a rats ass? Stop taking the word so offensive and it looses its ability to do harm. Go Obama I wish more President's would act like real people not what there (supposed to be). Does Freedom of speech mean nothing anymore?

OK then
Jun '15

Nothing wrong with how he used it. He was trying to make a point. Has nothing to do with what kind of role model he is. Jeez people, come on already. If he said the sky was blue and the grass was green and the rodeo in H'town was too loud, some of you would still question him. SMH!!!!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jun '15

Big deal, he said Nigger.

iJay, So did Paula Deen and look what happened to her! (Just sayin)....I love this forum, always a great source of daily entertainment

bgood105 bgood105
Jun '15

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/06/219737467/who-can-use-the-n-word-thats-the-wrong-question?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150622

Very interesting article on the use of the n word. Not all black people get away with it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

The shame of it all is that in 2015 is that thier is racism and people are still being judged by the skin. Their was a program when McCain ran against Obama on HBO, so many people in this country said they would not vote for Obama cause he was black, others said he should not even come to there state.He could get hurt. This was mostly the midwest and im not shocked because they still live with the 1960's mentality. But this is what our great country is made of. The whole thing was disgusting. Oh and yes many said the following obama usama same thing, the guy who took bin laden down, something that dumb bastard bush couldnt do, or didnt want to

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

I'm more upset that Congress gives themselves free health care, but they fight tooth and nail and keep going to the Supreme Court to keep Obama from providing affordable (which is different from free) health care to people of modest means.

Congress is a bunch of hypocrites.

And I'm a registered Republican saying this ... I voted for Nixon, Reagan, Christie (and other people you guys are too young to remember) ... I don't feel I've changed any, I've always been moderate, down the middle, trying to be fair ... well, my beef with the GOP (Guardians of Privilege) is that they have moved to the extreme right and are incredibly partisan and uncompromising, to the point that it hurts "the silent majority" that Nixon used to talk about.

OK, that's my schpiel, I'd rather talk about sports -- more merit based.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/08/220047255/the-internal-debates-that-we-dont-see

This was in the comments section of the article that I just linked to. I highly recommend you read both the article and comments. There are some very insightful comments.

Regarding the article, while it focuses on the "debate" in the black community, the sentiment could easily be applied to the current Muslim community and the white community during the civil rights movement.

In general, I think the article simply reinforces what I've longed believed. We cannot judge an ethnic group by a single example or facet. Each is extremely complex, with its good and bad, and needs to be examined from all viewpoints.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

The last paragraph from emaxx is true wisdom, but I assume he meant to say 'what I've long believed' (people are too rushed to proofread their writing anymore).

See, I didn't let the fact he's a Cowboys' fan influence my assessment of what he said.

I don't believe all Cowboys' fans are the same, even though Christie is not exactly looking good for my vote in next year's primary. LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

Advice to persons of all political persuasions ... proof your stuff.

You never know if you inadvertently left a dangling modifier in there that totally changes the meaning of what you meant to say ... or ... even worse ...

a Freudian slip that goes viral ................EEEK

You don't want to be Jimmy Fallon's material for his next monologue.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

I don't think Obama took down Osama I think he's alive. No pictures no proof come on people. U mean to tell me that a man responsible for killing thousands of helpless Americans should just be thrown out to sea? He he's prob still alive running isis but our gov wants you to think there protecting us. Giving us more of a reason to still be overseas. Blowing more money and killing more Americans. There all liers

OK then
Jun '15

I know someone who thinks Americans never really landed on the moon.

I know someone who thinks A-Rod never took steroids.

I know someone who swears Hitler never killed any Jewish people.

Tom Brady says he didn't know about the deflated footballs and lots of people in New England believe him.

I've met people who say all kinds of wacky things.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

My bad. :-)

I'll let the Cowboys comment slide Andy. :-P

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

I hear the interview in full. As far as I'm concerned its a non issue, when compared to 9 dead folks in Charleston. If the president using a bad word in a valid context gets your panties in a wad, I suggest you stop wearing panties.

Agust Agust
Jun '15

Agree 100% Agust

Jun '15

If it was a white person using that word in context, they would of been banished from television and put all over social media, that's what gets my panties in a wad! Yet the president of the USA can say that word, what are we, children?

Darrin4
Jun '15

Just bringing some levity to the thread, you're a good guy, emaxx.

I try not to judge people by the color of their NFL jersey, the grayish color of their hair (age), or the shape of their skin (regarding discrimination that is directed toward fat people and women).

Just saying.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

When "whites" use it, its derogatory. When "blacks" use it, it is not. Just saying!

Jun '15

"If it was a white person using that word in context, they would of been banished from television and put all over social media, that's what gets my panties in a wad! "

thats not even close to being true. If a white person said the exact same thing the President said, there would actually be a better reaction.

saying the word and calling someone the word are completely different.

darwin darwin
Jun '15

He just made a poor choice of words In this PC World. I thought nothing of it till I heard the Media react.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '15

Agree, darwin. Context is everything.

Agree darwin!

Jun '15

I beg to differ darwn, try it why don't you. Walk into a black community and say the word in context, let me know how you make out

My point is, he could of made the same exact point without using the actual word.

Darrin4
Jun '15

"Walk into a black community and say the word in context, let me know how you make out"

Fine i have no problem walking into a black community. So if i go into a black community and ask a couple of black people what the word n**g means to them... or when was the first time someone called you a n***g? should i expect them to kick my ass? Maybe if i was wearing a confederate flag t shirt :)

darwin darwin
Jun '15

Just curious, any African Americans on this thread analyzing the president?

Bessie Bessie
Jun '15

Does black from the waist down count?

skippy skippy
Jun '15

"My point is, he could of made the same exact point without using the actual word."

same point but who would have heard it? Would the news have mentioned the podcast if he said"'n-word"? Would there be a HL thread about it? He got his point out.. too bad some of you are more focused on him using the word then the context in which he said it. Everything he said is 100% true, can't argue with his message so i guess we have to agrue on how he delivered the message.

darwin darwin
Jun '15

Skippy, please explain your question. Probably one of those things I'll take heat for not knowing what you're talking about.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '15

was a crude joke - it was in reference to the African-american large genital stereotype

Skippy Skippy
Jun '15

@darwin "Fine i have no problem walking into a black community. So if i go into a black community and ask a couple of black people what the word n**g means to them... or when was the first time someone called you a n***g? should i expect them to kick my ass? Maybe if i was wearing a confederate flag t shirt :)"

I gotta see this. Idk what you should ask, what question would you consider in context?

Darrin4
Jun '15

its appropriate to use it as he did, describing the difference between overt and covert racism,

nothing wrong with the pod cast,

i do get tired of our president always lecurting us, as if we dont get it,

we do get it, we have come a long way, but obviously we have a long way still to go

i dont like baning words, and i dont like the PC police telling others what they can and cannot say

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

Darwin,
Throwing it around to a random group of black people as part of some curious white man experiment is insensitive, even if you use it "in context" - whatever that means. In an academic context, or historical context, that is where it can be appropriately used.

I don't understand why white people are so afraid to even type this word, yet complain about that very fear as if its forced. It's called being sensitive and considerate, folks! Easy stuff!

DeaconBlus DeaconBlus
Jun '15

OMG!! Ijay used the n-dash-dash-dash-dash-dash word! The mother load of all dirty words. I'm afraid if a child gets exposed to this thread, could be detrimental. Now what am I supposed to do? I'll have to keep my computer under lock and key from now on. Actually, the way some people freak out over the dumbest things...I give ijay credit for his bravery.
:-)

Jun '15

"
I gotta see this. Idk what you should ask, what question would you consider in context?"

See what? Me have an intellectual conversation with black people about the N word? Ok. I'm not saying I would go up to Harlem and shout the word but I have no problem discussing the word with my black friends. Again. Context is key.

Darwin Darwin
Jun '15

Regardless it's free speech - lets look past this and see something intelligent that he said - we need to be open and honest about our views without the fear of the PC police

skippy skippy
Jun '15

I agree, context is key, but I feel it is not a nice word that really shouldn't be said no matter the context. Point is, you would not be able to say it to any black person, friends are different, although I still would not use it around my friends, it is just not nice to do.

Darrin4
Jun '15

"If it was a white person using that word in context, they would of been banished from television and put all over social media, that's what gets my panties in a wad! "

Are you not familiar with the work of Louis CK? Sure, he's part Mexican, but he's certainly not black.

PS - 58 comments and no one has posted a direct link to the actual interview: http://potus.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_613_-_president_barack_obama/

I wonder how many will comment here about it without listening to the whole thing, even after this link has been posted.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Jun '15

Of course it's not a nice word but the President's point was just eliminating that word in public doesn't erase racism. Heck some are saying racist are just replacing that word with another. Thug seems to be used a lot now.

Back in '95 I went to a football camp in FL and a bunch of the guys on a team down there told us they use the word tremendous every time they wanted to say n***g. They would go up to a black player and say "hey you're tremendous" or "that guy is tremendous". With a big smile on their face. It was their own little racist joke.

Darwin Darwin
Jun '15

Some blacks use it all the time but usually replace the "er" with "az", "as", or "a"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QK5osNNOSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmu4PW7t_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJJtIFuLTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQmYCbW-nO4

iJay, some whites do to! Actually, many white kids do! Including many at Hackettstown High! Get a load of that!

I'll repeat: No one's stopping you from doing the same if you feel so compelled!

But, I'd be cautious to lump people's collective motives into "blacks" and "whites" - values differ even within a race.

DeaconBlus DeaconBlus
Jun '15

This goes back to the 60s, when my best friends were my black teammates on the basketball team.

They'd call me an 'honorary brother,' and they'd call each other 'souls.'

When we'd talk over scouting reports of future opponents, sometimes they'd ask about a particular player, "Is he Irish?" Meaning a black dude. That started because we always laughed about how many blacks were playing for Notre Dame and the Boston Celtics.

Of course, what I often heard was "not bad, for a white boy" and that I had "white man's disease," meaning I could jump, but not float, not hang. Two decades later, sportscaster Don Criqui got into trouble for remarking during a Villanova game, that John Pinone had "white man's disease." It was such much a do about nothing, because the term had been around, among players, for many years.

Those out there who have experienced serious basketball may be familiar with some of those terms. Those were great times and I loved being part of that world.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

I remember when the Minnesota Twins had a starting outfield of Torii Hunter, Matt Lawton, and Jacques Jones, and they called themselves the Soul Patrol.

The media picked up on it cautiously, but it didn't cause any issues. It was a name they gave themselves.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

My point is that it is hypocritical to say the word should NEVER be spoken. To have it used on a daily basis in a negative context is just negative of course; like many other things in life. For example, to call white people that live in a trailer park white trash is probably no different.

Like I always said, 1,000 or 10,000 years from now we will all be intermixed so it will become a non issue. But man may just continue the racism over much subtle differences; i.e. people that are 5% lighter may be the new whites...

What a shock, a bunch of white people debating what racism is. How the hell would you know

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

It is funny doctor K 16. The world is full of hate. Blacks among Blacks. Whites among whites, and in every other race. They make PC rules, and all it dose is hide the hate. We all fight for survival. There is only one, that loves all, and he gave up his life for us.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '15

well doc k 16; people of other colors, (yes, white actually *IS* a color) can be racist as well, whites do not have a corner on that market

prejudice and racism comes from all colors under the rainbow, it not just a white condition, that's another popular myth

in fact, the way this is going, how soon will it be before whites are the underclass that it's ok to abuse? seems like we are headed that way at a rapid clip right now.

if your white, you are automatically guilty of something, (insensitivity, privilege, etc, the list goes on)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

Agreed old gent, agreed, just saying it would be nice to have some prospective other then white, you feel me? but their is only one savior, our lord jesus christ

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

Don't forget Old Gent -- Jesus was dark-skinned, most likely black...

I got you. I have made friends in all races. I look to see what is in their hearts to make my friends.

Old Gent Old Gent
Jun '15

I've never been black, but I am getting old, and I can tell there is a difference in the way I get treated, from 30 years ago, when I was younger and better looking.

There's all kinds of prejudice out there.

Human beings are flawed, not the all-powerful and all-knowing beings they like to think they are.

It does not take long for me to get a feel for whether someone is prejudiced. In a recent conversation, someone who I thought was a nice guy, said John F. Kennedy was a "n***** lover" (not my words, I'm just quoting his) ... I should have said something but did not, did not want to create a scene. But, I won't be getting together with him anytime soon, I can assure you that.

"N***** lover" is a term I often heard coming from the stands in basketball games ... simply because I was on a team with black guys and was friendly with them, which those fans said out of frustration because their all-white team was losing to us. In that way, I CAN RELATE, to some degree, what it means to hear the n-word directed at me. It does stir feelings of anger, which, with God's help, I was able to control.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

"What a shock, a bunch of white people debating what racism is. How the hell would you know"

Some of the worst racism our country has experienced was white on white racism. Italians and Polish people are two examples of two "white" groups that experienced it (and still do even today.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '15

Attitude on the poster critical of whites debating racism. Just keep using your racism crutch for eternity...

Well, it is a serious topic. Don't like the term 'debate' ... I much prefer the term 'discussion' ... people sharing experiences and observations.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

yes i see your points, im sorrry you are all right

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

yes i jay, would you like to contact my roommates over the years, maybe they can tell you about me. I dont have a racist bone in my body, when my best friend was getting thrown to the streets, I took him in, (om my god he is black). He thanks me till this day, I dont care what color he is , he was and is my friend

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

emaxmann, not even close to the "worst racism" ... False equivalency. Discrimination against black people is often institutionalized, whereas anti-European bigotry is long gone.

doctor k, you did have a point, albeit misguided. It is excellent for this predominantly white forum to discuss racism; but, it is shameful to defend even covert forms, like the rebel flag, especially since white people do not and cannot know what it is like to be black and deal with that racism (which, unlike anti-Polish or anti-Irish bigotry) is still very alive and well.

Most white people shudder at the word 'privilege' - to them it implies debt, guilt, responsibility - all are false but the latter. You are responsible to at the very least acknowledge that experiences in this country can vary based on race.

DeaconBlus DeaconBlus
Jun '15

That was not a comment about you per se. It was directed at what I perceived as someone telling me to shut up because I am not black. My assumption was that you were black so the crutch part would not apply...

While Obama did nothing wrong in his use of the word in the sense that he did, he should have risen above that aspect of the discussion.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '15

Risen above what aspect?

Jun '15

LeRoy, There's no aspect. It's funny, really, because Obama can NEVER do right in these people's eyes.

The same people knocking him for using it would call him the "Political Correct Police" or a softy if he didn't. It's a lose-lose, and trying to make sense of it can get exhausting.

DeaconBlus DeaconBlus
Jun '15

LBJ was quoted on Air Force One days prior to the vote on the Cival Rights Act that "I will have those Ni&&ers voting Democratic for the next 200 years".

kb2755 kb2755
Jun '15

The aspect of dropping an inflammatory emotional word for effect.

Jun '15

Deacon if you some how got the idea i was defending that flag that i find disgusting, i dont know where you got that idea. My point on the whole thing is lets get some black prospective. Otherwise its just what white people think. Im Irish, no one was killed more then us, i mean it. But i didnt live it, there are a lot of people still living black racism. I have had long discussions with my Black roomate about this. I applaud him because he is not mad at white people, just like in any race, he knows there are bad people. If i had to go to jail i would call him first, because he would come get me, no questions asked. The confedorate flag is a joke, could you imagine if they won the war. You think Obama would be president. And people put our president down, not on facts, its because they are republic. The same ones who defend George Bush actions of killing millions of american kids over a war that had nothing to do with 9/11 and alot to do with the oil business his family runs, People who dont see that, are just flat ignorant. A president should be smarter then me or you, they make fun of me for grammar, that guy cant form a sentence, which is worse, standing in front of the country and not being able to speak english, or bad grammar on this stupid site, get a life people, focus on the facts, not your musguided fun you can have with my grammar, idiots

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

LBJ also held his dog up by its ears, for all the world to see.

http://mcgarnagle.com/2011/07/20/lbjs-dogs/

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '15

"You think Obama would be president."

it was white voters who got him elected twice, this is not a racist country.

we have come a long way, but clearly there is still a long way to go.

obama using the word 'nigger' to describe the difference between overt and covert racism is an appropriate use of the term, i have no problem with him using it, (and you guys all know i have major league problems with him as president)

words should not be banned, i hate the way the PC police are dictating to everyone what can be said or not said, what can be thought or not thought, what can be flown or not flown. it's totalitarian to do this and it is no different than what ISIS is doing in Iraq and Syria with their 'ethnic cleansing'

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

Do some homework doc. George Bush actions of killing of "millions" of American kids over a war etc. etc. Civil war casualties over 600K (4yrs.) Iraq & Afghanistan under 10K (12 yrs.). Please don't insult us with your ignorance.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '15

strangerdanger, did you listen to the podcast or just the predatory, sensational headlines about it written just for effect?

Jun '15

auntie l, so you support the war in iraq, good to know. We should not have been there one life lost is to much, how about if it was your child

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

and your so off point i was comparing Bush vs Obama, i dont even get where your point came from

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

when did i bring up civil war, you did

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

LeRoy, I read the podcast but I think you misinterpret what I meant.

"While Obama did nothing wrong in his use of the word in the sense that he did, he should have risen above that aspect of the discussion."

Obama did nothing wrong. However, as President, I believe he could have made his point without stooping to the use of inflammatory, emotion-charged, words. He should have risen above that aspect of the discussion as President. He could have made the same point without pulling a trigger word.

Jun '15

Doc, your goof was saying "millions" of kids died because of Bush. I did support the war at first, just like every Democrat and Republican in Congress who signed on. You do know a President can not go skipping off to war without the approval of Congress? And yes, 3 of my family members did enlist of their own free will. I along with their mothers (my sisters) did not sleep the entire time they were deployed. We prayed, we got involved, we paid attention to their welfare, we sent letters, cards and care packages. We waited weeks for that phone call. We heard from THEM what was going on NOT the nightly news. We gave them a hero's welcome when they came home and thanked God for their safe return. We mourned the fallen and the disabled along with their family's that weren't as blessed as our family. We are STILL involved, we STILL mourn our troops and their families. Our military is still over there fighting. WHY? It's not pretty and it's getting worse. Do I agree with the war now? No, and I haven't in many years. I brought up the Civil war just to show you numbers, the difference between millions, hundreds of thousands and tens of thousands. Sorry.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '15

Many a President has sent troops into battle without declaring a war first using Executive orders and post 1973, the War Powers Resolution.

The first time was in 1801 against the Barbary States by Jefferson. The latest was by Obama against ISIS.

We had troops, mostly advisors, in Vietnam for a decade before the first war resolution when the Viet Cong fired on our destroyer. But the destroyer was there already. Over 400 died before the 1964 Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.

Speaking of the Civil War; that too was started by Executive Action, not by a Congressional declaration of war. Lincoln operated for months at the beginning of the war without any Congressional approvals.

Jun '15

How does one "read" a podcast? That's like smelling a television.

"Obama did nothing wrong, but he shouldn't have stooped to use a trigger word."?

Your words are incomprehensible.

F-

Jun '15

I think many people have forgotten that Obama is part white. I would think someone of two different races would be more objective.

I'm not crazy about Obama at all, but in this case..I don't think he did anything wrong.

Too many people are blowing what he said way out of proportion.

positive positive
Jun '15

So doc k..did you have family that served???

Browning
Jun '15

You don't think he did anything wrong, but he should have been more objective?

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Jun '15

Apparently I worded it wrong. My point was because he is biracial..I would assume that he is objective concerning race.

positive positive
Jun '15

Maybe he IS objective. Maybe his opinions reflect his real life experience as biracial. Which in this culture, means "black." Ever wonder why it never means "white"?

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '15

I can't speak for him and his life experiences, which I know nothing about. All I can do is surmise like everyone else and give my opinion.

positive positive
Jun '15

Obama is the future, where the races will mix. No stopping this natural "thing".

Ironically, it is also the "superior" race. When you mix races like tomatoes the hybrids almost always come out on top.

The "inferior" race is the one that does not mix with other races. Look at the inbreeding in Appalachia and the Hasidic communities for example.

No wonder that all hat our first black President is half white. When he says Ni**er, he says it as a white and black at the same time...

was it the white half or the black half that used it?

so, all people of one racial background are the new inferiors? (interesting, interesting)

how long will it be until we start rounding up the whites for special treatment? (you know they are all guilty of something, they can't help it, just look at them, they're white!)'

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

browning, yes sir, the United States Air Force

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

auntie l, sorry you are correct, i should not have said millions, thats my fault, and i hate the fact that young men die over there for nothing, its not for our freedom at all. anyway again sorry for the error

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

browning, my grandfather served in the army during world war 2, he was hero, i never met anyone like him to this day. He survived the war and died going on 7 years already. He was 96. When he was drafted he had a wife and three kids, obviously my grandma, my mon, and my aunt and uncle. Before he was drated he was such a bright guy that he owned 3 deli's in the Bronx. When he came back he had shit, the stores were closed, my grandmother couldnt do it. He lived the rest of his life doing jobs any job that he could, There was no college bull shit for him. He may not have lost his life, but they took alot from him. My father was in the Air Force for 5 years. He never saw battle, he was not drafted he joined himself, he also came home to shit, but he made a life with no education and was a vp at chase for 40 years.

doctor k 16 doctor k 16
Jun '15

Pretty much all African-Americans are partly white due to slave masters taking advantage of young slave women.

In Obama's case he truly is half black and half white, as his father was African, not African-American. Having said that, I can't think of a reason why this is in any way important; just a matter of curiosity.

Wow, how out of context to the point of ridiculousness this discussion has become.

Now people of one race are inferior and hybrids usually always come out on top, etc.

Obviously the point I tried to make was way over some people's heads. I call it selective comprehension for the sake of arguing and commenting in a very condescending way to belittle a person.

Do you feel better now? Perhaps more superior like the hybrids?

positive positive
Jun '15

Evolve or fall by the wayside...

iJay I think you should heed your own advice.

positive positive
Jun '15

You do know that you guys Are above average stupid - ergo more than above average and should really think about what was said.

skippy skippy
Jun '15

I do, but don't expect my views towards some issue will likely "evolve" as that would be "evolving" to BS, and I can't do that :)

Nice filibuster, positive. You've got all sides of the issue covered. He's objective and not objective. Anyone who disagrees with you is stupid because they are the ones making ad hominem attacks, even though calling people stupid and unevolved is exactly that. You should change your name from positive to 'obvious', as in obvious troll is obvious.

Jun '15

LeRoy where in any of my posts did I call anyone stupid? I simply responded to BD's and iJay's posts for twisting everything I said in a condescending way.

You really need to reread my posts. BTW thanks for insulting me..you are way out of line.

positive positive
Jun '15

Please be nice to positive - I made the stupid comment and I apologize.

skippy skippy
Jun '15

You are so nice skippy. Lol! It's Ok. I can handle it, because I know I have good people like you that know that I'm not a troublemaking troll. Lol. If other people want to think otherwise, more power to them. I wouldn't want to associate with people like that anyway.

Thanks skippy.

positive positive
Jun '15

I don't think your a troll.......you actually have a very positive attitude! :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '15

No problem thank you

skippy skippy
Jun '15

Thank you Hot corner.

positive positive
Jun '15

positive- i wasnt commenting on your post, and didn't twist your words, why would you think i was condescending towrds you?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

I just emailed her but I don't think she feels like that bd - she is a true good hearted person / I'll let her answer for herself but I think all is well my friend

skippy skippy
Jun '15

"where in any of my posts did I call anyone stupid?"

You accused the people you disagree with of having "selective comprehension" and "not evolved" and you say I really need to reread yoru posts" as if I would say what I said without reading your posts. That means you think we are stupid.

You accuse people me of insulting you, but you insult right back. You say others are condescending after you ask if your critic is "feeling better now."

Like I said, you've got all sides of the issue covered. There's no room for disagreement and you've got friends on your side giving you encouragement. You must be good and pure and nice, they think. After all, it's in your name. Nope, you're not good and pure and nice. You're just another human, like the rest of us.

I bet you insult me now for daring to answer the question that you asked. I would not be the least bit surprised if others did too. Carry on.

Jun '15

yes, you did misinterpret, i was trying to point out the absurdity of another post,

i am shocked that so much of the current racial discussion paints whites as automatically guilty of something just because they are white. it seems like it is ok to call whites racialy charged names like 'crackers' and 'rednecks' and 'white trash' while at the same time we are cleaning up our language when referring to those of other races. phrases like "he dances pretty good for a white boy" and many others are ok?

seems hypocritical to me.

this whole conceprt of 'white privilege' that is being pushed by academia is wrong imo

also when conservative candidates run for office they are lambasted, like bobby jindal for instance who has been described as a coconut, (brown on the outside, white on the inside), jindal has been described as less than authentic because he changed his name, as if he is not proud enough of his indian heridtage, (did the left criticize the president for changing his name? no , right? )

that's hypocritical

the human race does run into trouble when inbreeding runs amock, i mean that there are good scientific biological reasons why bothers and sisters should not reproduce, look what happened to the royals in the middle ages, they even call them 'blue bloods', because of the inbreeding, lack of bio-diversity in the dna and gene pools.

i was not talking down to you or twisting your words,

be well, have a good day.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

LeRoy, I never mentioned "evolved", iJay is the one that mentioned it. As far as selective comprehension..that was not a put down. It has nothing to do with intelligence. It means that people comprehend what they want to comprehend, like selective hearing.

Yes, I do defend myself. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I am very far from being perfect.

BD, I was referring to your post where you said all people of one race are the new inferiors. I took it as you were making fun of my original post about Obama being biracial. Maybe I misinterpreted it and if I did I apologize. Seems like there's a lot of misinterpretation on this thread.

I guess I'm the one with selective comprehension in this case. I apologize BD.

positive positive
Jun '15

you're ok, positive, no worries,

iJay posted this: "The "inferior" race is the one that does not mix with other races."

and i responded with this question to him: "so, all people of one racial background are the new inferiors? (interesting, interesting)"

again, in the current run of racial dialog nationwide, imo, to me, there is a thread of thought that is automatically blaming whites just for being white, that white people have a lot they are guilty for, and should feel guilty about, and should be ashamed of their own race,

i object strongly to that contention that is being pushed very heavily right now by academia, MSNBC, and many other left leaning publications and tv outlets. it is as racist an idea as anything else you can name, and that's hypocritical if you ask me.

and for people of color, and/.or mixed racial backgrounds who identify as conservative, the left goes after them cruely and viciously for not being 'authentic', or for acting 'white', they go after conservative women with the same old lines they object to other wise, if a female republican candidate has children, these leftists and academia and liberal outlets were all over it saying things like "shouldn't she be more of a mother to them? how will she have time to hold office?" listen, if it cuts one way, it ought to cut the other way, totally hypocritical in my view,

that's what i was trying to communicate, (poorly it seems)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

OVER TIME BrotherDog...

right, iJay, i know, and don't the irish have a common ailment with their eyesight, yes? and other groups tend to have clusters of other diseases, it's true,

and the true 'blue bloods', were a weak line that were getting weaker with each generation and they knew it, so they were forced to open their restrictive marriage rules to increase the gene pool diversity for a whole host of burgeoning health condiditons, that's a part of history that can be looked up

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

"again, in the current run of racial dialog nationwide, imo, to me, there is a thread of thought that is automatically blaming whites just for being white, that white people have a lot they are guilty for, and should feel guilty about, and should be ashamed of their own race"

In general, you are employed easier. You get paid higher. You are arrested less often. You get most things easier and have less impediments placed in your path.

Like my Mom used to tell me when I cried, enough is enough, it's time to level the playing field, it's been over 150 years ---- "cry, cry me a river."

Jun '15

"In general [as a white person], you are employed easier. You get paid higher. You are arrested less often."

I would add, you are convicted less often of a crime you did not commit.

I am white, and don't feel put down for it in the least (unlike BD, apparently).

I do feel maybe a sliver of unfair treatment for being male, but we can leave that for another time!

completley missed the point, (as usual), positive is spot on about 'selective comprehension'

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '15

positive, you never mentioned "evolved"

this link proves that to be a lie: http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/692429#t693666

you're not selectively ignoring that link. you are a liar.

instead of defending the indefensible, just apologize and move on

if you do something wrong, it's normal to have strong feelings about it when someone points it out. it shows you're human.

like you said, your name is positive, not perfect

lip service to the words without acknowledging what mistakes you made is just political correctness

Jun '15

I do not see the word evolved used by me in your link. I still don't know what you're talking about. I have many questions for you; A liar? What am I lying about? Why are you so bent on criticizing me and arguing with me?

Even if I did use the word evolve, which I didn't..so what. What is the point you are trying to make?

I think you're the one that should apologize for coming down on me the way you did and continue to do.

positive positive
Jun '15

Leroy - reading positives post it's clear she meant evolution of humanity via mixing of ethnicities - She is really not a liar. I honestly believe calling her a liar is much worse than anything she said.

skippy skippy
Jun '15

"Evolve or fall by the wayside." iJay. My response, "iJay I think you should heed your own advice."

positive positive
Jun '15

I already wasted too much of my time and energy on someone that gets a kick out of trying to stir me up. I'm done with this. Have a good night Roy.

positive positive
Jun '15

Re: Obama dropped the

iJay said evolve or fall by the wayside. This is not an insult. It's a truism.

postive's comment was an insult to jay. Along the lines of, "I'm rubber, you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks on to you." It is a childish and decidedly unevolved act. This is also a truism, no matter the social status of the person who types it out. The fact that you continue to defend the indefensible shows more about your character than your social status. Have a pleasant evening.

Jun '15

You too glad we can part amicably

skippy skippy
Jun '15

isn't it everyones right to have their own opinion about whoever they want to? its not the racists that are the problem its the people that get offended by racists.

I rly dislike Obama as well but only because of his obamacare all you morons helped to put in place. premiums are expensive now and Dr offices are constantly booked, but atleast the illegals in town are covered on our dime

bump3 bump3
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.