Police /swat on Grand Ave this am

Does anybody know what happened near post office/bank. Saw police with swat gear on and dogs.

lv girl forever lv girl forever
May '15

They were actually at the apartments on Allen road this am around 6. K9 units and all. Then they left and had a staging area at the post office. Still no idea why they were there. Too close to home!

Jessica Jessica
May '15

I just passed by at 530pm there was nothing going on then

H-town Mama H-town Mama
May '15

Filming the new Vin Diesel movie

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '15

I heard from a reliable source they were filming another police academy

Booster90 Booster90
May '15

Enforcing seatbelt laws. ;-)

Justintime Justintime
May '15

They were lost looking for stiger st but with burgen tool gone the have no land mark to turn at

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '15

They were serving a warrant

no one important no one important
May '15

It takes a SWAT team to serve a warrant? Who the heck were they serving, ISIS?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
May '15

hey - pay your seat belt tickets lol

skippy skippy
May '15

"It takes a SWAT team to serve a warrant?"

When you have the equipment you'll find any excuse to use it (and justify the budget).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '15

Re: Police /swat on Grand Ave this am

botheredbyuu2,
Have you ever read the Mansfield police blog they send out? That little piece some people call home in the village is also home to some really dangerous people. They may not be renter but stay with renters. And do you know how many Law Enforcement Officers have been killed serving a simple warrant? Here is a search I did.

"It takes a SWAT team to serve a warrant?"

When you have the equipment you'll find any excuse to use it (and justify the budget).
--------------

A new mom might still be alive if the SWAT was sent along with her to serve an arrest warrant.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/nebraska-police-officer-killed/

I'm not one to think the police need armored carriers and rocket launchers but a SWAT team has been a common component of law enforcement for decades. None of know exactly what the warrant was for (assuming that was the case.) Maybe the extra men was justified.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '15

Several police officers would be alive if they didn't use SWAT/no-knock tactics to serve warrants that could otherwise be accomplished when suspects leave their home alone etc. or for simple financial/child support types of issues.

In one case in Texas, the homeowner (suspected of small amounts of marijuana) was cleared of charges for killing an officer that busted through his door in the middle of the night. Because that is exactly what burglars do...

http://www.policeone.com/drug-interdiction-narcotics/articles/6815003-No-murder-charge-for-man-who-fatally-shot-Texas-deputy/

Some police just like the excitement/power trip that flashbangs provide, I suppose. No comfort to the parents of a baby that is permanently disfigured when such an incendiary landed in his crib, though.

Sure, there is a time and place for SWAT (or their tactics), but it's hard to deny that it's way overused nowadays.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '15

I don't disagree with you Mark. In fact, I'm right there next to you when the subject is about the abuse of power by "some" individual officers.

My point was, no one knows why they were there so to assume that it was unwarranted is jumping to conclusions (much of the same that we often accuse law enforcement of doing.)

emaxxman emaxxman
May '15

I know why but I will never tell

Booster90 Booster90
Jun '15

Police officers are supposed to be "peace" officers, with the mission to protect and to serve. There has been a top- (federal) down attempt to militarize them and turn them against the citizens they are supposed to protect. It is working, and they remain proactive on the lookout for John and Jane Domestic Terrorist.

The definition of 'terrorist" broadens by the day, and it has become an "us against them" mindset.

As an aside, many of these officers are decent and are trying to do an increasingly oppressive job with restraint, but I've also known some pretty scummy ones. Even among the decent ones, the PBA shield ...and some towns even have "police officer family member" shields...get-out-of-jail-free card still applies.

Grant-funded...I mean citizen-funds-being-taken-via-taxation-at-the-threat-of violence-at-the-point-of-a-gun-if-they-don't-pay...enforcement programs are money grabs, no matter how you look at it.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jun '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.